Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accents you like and dislike

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017

cafcfan said:

I have an unfortunate habit of unintentionally imitating people, but do it quite badly.

I spent two years working in Newcastle and ended up with this horrendous sort of London/Geordie combo which no one could understand. Or as the locals would say: that gadgie's a propa wazzock. In the end, it was good to be gan yem.
    But, still, the Geordie dialect would be my favourite. (I think it counts as a dialect because they have so many different words in their vocabulary rather than just a different pronunciation of regular words).

The reason for the way they speak in the North East becomes clearer when you compare their pronunciation of "going home" - gan yem - to the very similar Norwegian words - går hjem. They are after all pretty much Vikings but without the hats.

I'm thinking the word blatherskite was made especially for Karl Robinson.

Least favourite would be the County Tyrone version of Norn Irish. It's impenetrable.

Thanks a bunch...

Is Cafcfan's choice based on George Cunningham from Strabane? He lived to be 90.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaadphJyy50

• Options

Thus saying I dislike your Landon accents & London people in general, when OUR Country has got into the mess it has due to the amount of non English people over here, its really a breath of fresh air in the smoke. I'll tolerate it as its English, don't like it, but at least most who sound it are English.

I'm not sure I like the sentiments of this largely unintelligible post
  • Options

that sing song southern Irish. especially from a girl. everyone seems to think it's really nice. cant stand it. I actually prefer Northern Irish. I usually mimic it myself with the words "where's the f@cking guns?"

Michal Cain's accent always makes me smile.

Whats wrong with my accent!?
  • Options
    Mongolian accent really creases me up ;0)
  • Options
    I'm not over keen on the Polish accent, as it sounds so miserable!
  • Options

I don't find any accent annoying,I do have a soft spot for the Welsh accent though.

Never!
  • Options
    Like Geordie, Welsh and small town northern accents (Lancs or Yorks, doesn't seem to matter - they just seem to go a bit funny when its a big city). Don't mind a soft scouse accent - my scouse work colleague is always implying that it's the Woollybacks who sound wierd (people from the Wirrall, apparently, like Tranmere and Paul Nuttall).
    Not so keen on Midlands. Or Croydon. Don't like RP.
    I do wonder if I've been conditioned somehow - as this seems to be totally illogical.
  • Options
    I love all British accents.
  • Options
    I've always thought the Welsh have good expressive voices.
    I absolutely hate fake mockery core blimey Mary Poppins London accents as used by many in films and media.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

I have never heard a South African who sounds intelligent

I've never met a nice South African
    And that's not very surprising, man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I have an unfortunate habit of unintentionally imitating people, but do it quite badly.

I spent two years working in Newcastle and ended up with this horrendous sort of London/Geordie combo which no one could understand. Or as the locals would say: that gadgie's a propa wazzock. In the end, it was good to be gan yem.
    But, still, the Geordie dialect would be my favourite. (I think it counts as a dialect because they have so many different words in their vocabulary rather than just a different pronunciation of regular words).

The reason for the way they speak in the North East becomes clearer when you compare their pronunciation of "going home" - gan yem - to the very similar Norwegian words - går hjem. They are after all pretty much Vikings but without the hats.

I'm thinking the word blatherskite was made especially for Karl Robinson.

Least favourite would be the County Tyrone version of Norn Irish. It's impenetrable.

Thanks a bunch...

Is Cafcfan's choice based on George Cunningham from Strabane? He lived to be 90.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaadphJyy50

I have a sneaking suspicion it's more Dungannon (Moy Park) based, if I remember correctly his sister used to work there - of course, it could equally be a dislike for Kevin McAleer...
  • Options
    God blessed the Doric.
  • Options
    I'm not overly keen on a cedilla, but it's not a matter of acute concern.
  • Options
    Love the North East Scotland, Aberdeenshire accent.

Also soft Irish accents and West Country.

All female obviously, don't about blokes accents
  • Options
    I absolutely hate the Essex mockney accent and the Scouse accents annoys me also.
    My favourite accents has to be the Boston ( American) accent and I quite like the West Country accent .

• Options
    Love Gordie, West Country, and the soft sounding Dublin accent.
  • Options
    Love the Geordie accent, also "educated" Yorkshire, Cumbria, Devon, Dorset.

I laugh at the way something said in a Glaswegian accent, no matter how polite or even tender, sounds like a particularly nasty threat.
  • Options
    Stokey is awful - and I have to put up with it every day!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Stokey is awful - and I have to put up with it every day!

I hate Stoke term of endearment "Duck' (pronounced "Dook") - very annoying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    William Hague's accent rally annoys me. Posh yorkie
  • Options
    William Hague's accent really annoys me. posh yorkie
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Love the Geordie accent, also "educated" Yorkshire, Cumbria, Devon, Dorset.

I laugh at the way something said in a Glaswegian accent, no matter how polite or even tender, sounds like a particularly nasty threat.

I love Glaswegian for exactly that reason.

I'll add to the love of Welsh accents, and also throw in the West Country accent. It sounds a bit silly in such a lovely and charming way.

Love a proper Geordie accent. Ditto Mancunian. Someone said a soft Scouse accent is nice, and I totally agree. Have a posh scouse friend and the combination of well spoken but also slightly scouse is fantastically hilarious.

I used to live in Norwich, and some East Anglian accents are really lovely. Others less so...
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I have never heard a South African who sounds intelligent

You've met my ex-wife then .
  • Options
    Geordie accent on a bird goes up a treat. ;)