Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017
    For a player who was in the Champions league, he should have beem scoring for fun at tier 3. I wanted this to work, but it hasn't and Robinson seems to have written him off too. Sadly, given KM 's ability to pay over the odds, it will probably cost us a packet to release him. But his future seems well and truely over at the Valley. A real waste
  • Options

For a player who was in the Champions league, he should have beem scoring for fun at tier 3. I wanted this to work, but it hasn't and Robinson seems to have written him off too. Sadly, given KM 's ability to pay over the odds, it will probably cost us a packet to release him. But his future seems well and truely over at the Valley. A real waste

Tellingly for a player who made such an impact, there was no sense of lingering disappointment in Glasgow when he left. One of Celtic’s experienced international players predicted Watt would be driving a bus within a decade.

If that insult owed plenty to exaggeration, the underlying issue has been a recurring one. It relates to Watt’s attitude. His approach to training at Celtic was such team-mates were said to resent his lack of application. Despite the Barcelona intervention, Watt had not produced nearly enough to merit special treatment. A lack of fitness often seemed apparent in the latter stages of games.

I'm really not sure that Watt actually cares enough to change. At the top level in sport it's as much about desire to succeed, which is why players with half Watt's talent but ten times his application do - Solly must go through the pain barrier to do so and probably realises that there will be repercussions for him in later life. But he wants it enough to do so. And is already planning for his future once he stops playing.

Whereas Watt will live off that one goal and will find plenty that are prepared to buy him a pint on the back of it. At 23 it's not too late for him. But he has to find that inner drive to succeed and forget the distractions. Because he will be a long time retired.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

He parked his car in the lib club car park as he couldn't get through the traffic due to the protests.
    Spoke to him after the game when he came back for a few minutes, whilst he was waiting for others to move their cars, asked him if he was staying or going, he said not upto him, doesn't know if they want him, I then said if they did would you stay, he said yes, as long as they played him.
    Got to admit, he looked far slimmer and fitter than I have seen him before.

Can't believe you had a chat with him and didn't mention your mutual live of Glasgow football @DA9
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2017

DA9 said:

He parked his car in the lib club car park as he couldn't get through the traffic due to the protests.
    Spoke to him after the game when he came back for a few minutes, whilst he was waiting for others to move their cars, asked him if he was staying or going, he said not upto him, doesn't know if they want him, I then said if they did would you stay, he said yes, as long as they played him.

Can't believe you had a chat with him and didn't mention your mutual live of Glasgow football @DA9
    Actually we did, told him I had to stop people from writing WATP on his windscreen, he was quite friendly to be fair.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Actually we did, told him I had to stop people from writing WATP on his windscreen, he was quite friendly to be fair.
    Lol. Only met him once but he seemed a nice, rather shy guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Go home Watt . Mind you, if he hangs around we will eventually be bad enough for him to get a regular game.
  • Options

4 wins, a draw and 11 goals scored by us since he was dropped.

No wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats and 3 goals scored by us (one by him) in the previous 5 games he played in.

Wonder if that is a total coincidence.

I doubt it's total coincidence. It's not so much his poor performances, more his lack of effort at times.

A team needs all players giving 100% to be successful and that lack of effort was our main downfall this season.
  • Options
    For all Watt's faults, as I have said before on here, I don't understand KR sometimes.

Yes Watt was awful 'that' night, but so were most of them. A game or two before that KR was praising Watt for 'playing really well at the moment' (although it could have been lip service).

So then, he had an awful match and was hardly seen again. We've all seen it happen over the years and I guess my point is not with Watt but KR.

Others, like Chicksen (pretty good player imo) have felt it also - without sometimes anything more that a bad game. To me it doesn't look like good management.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I Played golf with him 2 weeks ago and asked what the plans were. He said if he gets game time he'll be here. If not he will be off. He wants games.

Ps - he plays golf like he plays football......

#strop
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Lol. Only met him once but he seemed a nice, rather shy guy.
    Met him once last year myself and thought the same. Was going to get his autograph then realised I didn't have a pen so he mimed out signing my paper.
  • Options
    It also has to be said that it's hard to fit Watt into a system, as he's quite an individualistic player.

He's not a No 9, as he's not a target man and wanders too deep anyway
    He's not a wide attacking player as crossing isn't really his strength and he's not super quick either
    No 10 is probably his only position, but does he have the awareness to play that role?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/23654/charlton-boss-not-emphatic-strikers-future-resting-valley/

Does anyone still rate him? Whenever I saw him he looked less of a threat in League 1 than he did in the Championship.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/23654/charlton-boss-not-emphatic-strikers-future-resting-valley/

Does anyone still rate him? Whenever I saw him he looked less of a threat in League 1 than he did in the Championship.

I can't recall anything positive he achieved in 3 months. He was just meh.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I Played golf with him 2 weeks ago and asked what the plans were. He said if he gets game time he'll be here. If not he will be off. He wants games.

#strop

In a half arsed manner?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

#strop

In a half arsed manner?
    Spend two minutes playing with the ball around the flag.
  • Options
    Good interview with him...

One thing I've taken from this interview / the videos ahead of his film review site is the fact at the times he struggles to find in depth words to describe things and can see a lot of reviews being along the lines of: Die Hard was good, Pearl Harbour was good.

Am sure that'll improve with the experience though
  • Options

One thing I've taken from this interview / the videos ahead of his film review site is the fact at the times he struggles to find in depth words to describe things and can see a lot of reviews being along the lines of: Die Hard was good, Pearl Harbour was good.

If he thinks "Pearl Harbour" is a good film, he doesn't know much about films...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It sums up Tony Watt perfectly 'ideas above his station' which has been his problem ever since he scored that goal for Celtic against Barcelona.
    A nice lad but now he can't even get into either the Charlton or Scotland sides, which are both poor and under performing!
  • Options

If he thinks "Pearl Harbour" is a good film, he doesn't know much about films...
    I quite liked Pearl Harbour myself actually - Thought it was a good film
  • Options
    I still find the whole film thing very bizarre.

He has been tweeting literally non stop since he came back onto social media.

I imagine he probably gets bored as most players do, so I've no issue with it at all. Just find it very surreal!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I imagine he probably gets bored as most players do, so I've no issue with it at all. Just find it very surreal!

As I've said before, better he spends his time tweeting rather than drinking or gambling.
  • Options

it features kate beckinsale - thats good enough for me
  • Options

That's the spirit. Give him your expert opinion and tell him why it's not a good film
  • Options
    Is there a place where are the wages for all our players are listed?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

cafctom said:

As I've said before, better he spends his time tweeting rather than drinking or gambling.
    I'm sure he can do both - doesn't take much to text & drink at the same time.