Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1,500 dead in a decade: Ten Years of HorseDeathWatch.com

Think that betting on horses is a harmless flutter? Think again.
Ten years ago today (during the 2007 Cheltenham Festival), Tonbridge-based animal advocacy charity, Animal Aid, established a database to chronicle race horse fatalities and the causes of them.
During that decade, the database has recorded the deaths of one thousand, five hundred and seven race horses.
As the 2017 Cheltenham Festival commences, I wish to bring to the attention of Charlton Lifers the fact that, on average, over the past decade, a race horse has died 'in action' every 2.42 days; that's nearly three fatalities per week....for ten years. That is a disgrace.

In recent years I have presented, on this website, the case against horse racing (especially 'jump racing') and readers may find the ensuing discussions on other threads. I don't wish to repeat the welfare arguments here. Neither do I wish to post this information within an existing 'Cheltenham Festival 2017' thread (which was established by proponents of horseracing); that thread is 'theirs' and I don't wish to subvert it. This thread is presented in order to impart information. I hope that it assists in widening the debate about the perils inherent in horse racing.

See the Database here:
horsedeathwatch.com/index.php

Blood And Sweat And Tears - 1,500 Race Horses Dead
The Huffington Post, 12th March 2017
huffingtonpost.co.uk/dene-stansall/blood-and-sweat-and-tears_b_15241644.html?

Comments

• edited March 2017
    You're never ever gonna get horse racing banned, so what on earth is your point to point?
    What a load of old pony!
  • Here we go . Mr boring is back
  • If horse racing didn't exist those 1500 would never have been born, along with many many many others .
    Walking down the street is dangerous as is life , suggest you get one
  • I am sure a thread already exists for this?
  • So, I take it you're not going to Cheltenham then ?
  • edited March 2017
    What about banning football ? All the brain damage now being discovered through heading the ball.

Motor Racing, christ how dangerous is that ?

Ban rugby, that's bloody dangerous.

Ban spectators from cricket & golf.

Ban fun !
  • Pretty sure we have gone though this before?
  • edited March 2017

What about banning football ? All the brain damage now being discovered through heading the ball.

Motor Racing, Christ how dangerous is that ?

Ban fun !

Do 3 players die a week directly from any of these sports though?

Not advocating for banning horse racing myself, just think it's a bad comparison when A_K is talking about fatalities resulting from the sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• What about banning football ? All the brain damage now being discovered through heading the ball.

Ban fun !

Just playing devils advocate here but the above all have one thing in common - the participants are human and have made the informed decision to take part. Do the horses have the same luxury?
    Want to crow bar a joke in about horses mouth....
  • 1StevieG said:

Ban fun !

Just playing devils advocate here but the above all have one thing in common - the participants are human and have made the informed decision to take part. Do the horses have the same luxury?

I prefer camel toe but go on......
  • No doubting it's a sad statistic but the chances of getting horse racing banned are exactly zero.
  • edited March 2017

1StevieG said:

Ban fun !

I prefer camel toe but go on......
    Why ask a rider when you can go straight to the horses mouth? I'll get me coat....
  • If you think horse racing is a disgrace, have a look at greyhounds. They reckon 1,500 dogs a year get killed
  • edited March 2017
    I think it's for the best
  • If horse racing didn't exist those 1500 would never have been born, along with many many many others .
    Walking down the street is dangerous as is life , suggest you get one

But that same argument, along with length of life, is used by supporters of bull fighting. Therefore if anyone sees that as a justifiable argument then they must also support bull fighting too.
  • So Anna. Who you got in the Gold Cup?
  • edited March 2017
    And I would just like to say I am neither for or against horse racing. I used to be against it. But it's not as if horse racing has only just been invented. Probably been going on for thousands of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• A far more pressing problem than horse-racing - that folk will kill horses and dump them in a city street, and nobody gives a toss.
  • I also find the deaths of magnificent horses truly sad. Surely just banning jump racing would save the majority of their lives because in comparison a lot fewer die in flat racing.
  • There's always one.. he's entitled to his point but it's argument your never going. I was recently in St morritz ( racing on the snow) and witnessed the single most and horrific thing that could happen to an horse , boomerang bob. Speaking to trainer Jamie Osborne after they were all upset at what happened but theres always a risk when running horses... it's expected and like others had said there's 1000''s thoroughbred horses that live long and injury free .. rediciouls argument stop horse racing and thousands of horses being bred that have lovley lives
  • edited March 2017
    Agree it's cruel but we allow halal/kosher slaughter of animals across the world which is literally the most barbaric act of cruelty on this planet.
  • Agree it's cruel but we allow halal/kosher slaughter of animals across the world which is literally the most barbaric act of cruelty on this planet.

Is it?
  • Agree it's cruel but we allow halal/kosher slaughter of animals across the world which is literally the most barbaric act of cruelty on this planet.

Righto...