Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laws of the Game - Fun Quiz

Comments

• Options
    Penalty to Margate
  • Options
    Spankie said:

Beano to Margate

That'd be fun.
  • Options

I would say as it was an off the ball incident between teammates, the game would restart with a drop ball roughly where Margate had the ball when the whistle went?

This is my thinking, too.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

A (contested) dropped ball, to be taken as close as possible to the point the ball was when the whistle went, UNLESS...

... Charlton had had three players sent off prior to this incident. In which case the referee would

(a) abandon the game
    (b) explain the detail of all incidents in his post-match report
    (c) get changed as quickly as possible
    (d) leave the ground, sharpish - probably in disguise

If you're going to get that detailed about it, it would not necessarily have to have been three sent off, just them being down to eight men by any means, as with two more going off, leaving them with six, they'd have less than the minimum number required which is seven.
  • Options
    Answer to Question One Prior to this season (2017/2018) the law with reference to a foul for which a direct free kick is to be awarded was in the case of striking an opponent. There was no further narrative with regard to restarting the game in this instance and the general interpretation (because of the "opponent" word was the game should be restarted with a drop ball where the ball was when the game was stopped.

However this season, the law was amplified to specifically state the game ion this instance must be restarted with a direct free kick at the point of the offence (Law 12, page 88).
  • Options
    Question Two Are there any circumstances where a player receiving the ball directly from a pass going backwards (ie away from the direction of the opponents goal) from his own on-side teammate can be penalised for offside? If your answer is "yes", please state the circumstances.

This is not a trick question such as the ball has been deflected by the referee or any other "creative" reasons you can come up with!

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Yes. If the player receiving the ball, was coming back from offside when the ball was kicked to them. He/she would have to be fast as the ball is passed backwards but they have still been offside initially.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Answer to Question One Prior to this season (2017/2018) the law with reference to a foul for which a direct free kick is to be awarded was in the case of striking an opponent. There was no further narrative with regard to restarting the game in this instance and the general interpretation (because of the "opponent" word was the game should be restarted with a drop ball where the ball was when the game was stopped.

However this season, the law was amplified to specifically state the game ion this instance must be restarted with a direct free kick at the point of the offence (Law 12, page 88).

So are you saying now if two players of the same team fight in their own penalty area then the opposition will be awarded a penalty?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Question Two Are there any circumstances where a player receiving the ball directly from a pass going backwards (ie away from the direction of the opponents goal) from his own on-side teammate can be penalised for offside? If your answer is "yes", please state the circumstances.

This is not a trick question such as the ball has been deflected by the referee or any other "creative" reasons you can come up with!

Best of luck!

I would guess yes. If he was in an offside position and interfering with a player when the ball was first played forward, but not given as not interfering with play at that time, is then considered to be relevant when the ball is then played back to him.

Who would be a ref!
  • Options
    Beardface said:

PeterGage said:

So are you saying now if two players of the same team fight in their own penalty area then the opposition will be awarded a penalty?
    The relevant law (this year) specifically states that - yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes.
    To be offside you have to
    Be in the opponent's half
    In front of the ball
    Have less than two opponents between you and the goal
    Be interfering with play and seeking to gain an advantage.

Following a short corner, an attacking player on the goal line can fulfil all that stuff even if the ball is played backwards.
  • Options
    Yes, as long as the player was in an offside position when the ball was played (in this case, specifically, being closer to the opponent's goal line than the ball is).
  • Options
    Answer to question Two Those of who you have offered an opinion are 100% correct. There is a misconception amongst some supporters that if the ball is played backwards you cannot be offside.
  • Options
    Question Three This time, an unlikely scenario (I have never seen it), but hey, this is a fun quiz.! The answer can be worked out with a knowledge of the Laws of the Game.

Match incident: Very windy day (gale force) on Hackney Marshes or Blackheath. The goalkeeper takes a goal kick into the teeth of the gale. The ball leaves the area (so thus in play). However the wind catches the ball which sails over the same goalkeepers head (ie goes backwards). The goalkeeper just gets his fingertips to the ball but can only divert it into his own goal. What does the referee award.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Hmm. Not sure how relevant the goalie touching the ball is because no other player has touched the ball. I'm going to say corner kick to the opposition.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Question Three This time, an unlikely scenario (I have never seen it), but hey, this is a fun quiz.! The answer can be worked out with a knowledge of the Laws of the Game.

Match incident: Very windy day (gale force) on Hackney Marshes or Blackheath. The goalkeeper takes a goal kick into the teeth of the gale. The ball leaves the area (so thus in play). However the wind catches the ball which sails over the same goalkeepers head (ie goes backwards). The goalkeeper just gets his fingertips to the ball but can only divert it into his own goal. What does the referee award.

Best of luck!

Indirect free kick.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

Indirect free kick.
    Where, to which team and why?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

I don't know the answer, but this nearly happened away at Yeovil about 6ish years ago.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

I don't know the answer, but this nearly happened away at Yeovil about 6ish years ago.
    I will pm you - dont want to give the answer away on here
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Opposing team, 10 yards out because otherwise the wall couldn't be 12 yards back and I'm guessing 2 touches could be an infringement or for handball. Probably totally wrong and a another goal kick is to be taken haha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had the ball gone directly into the goal I think it's a corner kick.

The fact that the GK has touched it a second time, after coming into play, before anybody else has, I think would make it an indirect free kick on the 6 yard line at the point closest to where the keeper touched the ball.
  • Options

Opposing team, 10 yards out because otherwise the wall couldn't be 12 yards back and I'm guessing 2 touches could be an infringement or for handball. Probably totally wrong and a another goal kick is to be taken haha

I will pm you!
  • Options
    I think that technically it might be a goal.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

The referee orders the goal kick to be retaken, since the goalkeeper touched the ball again, after kicking it, in other words he passed it to himself.

Ref gives careful consideration to two other things:

1. Did the goalkeeper do it on purpose, in order to waste time? If so, caution the goalkeeper and restart with a goal kick.

2. Is it too windy to carry on? In which case, whistle, abandon game and leg it to the Hare and Billet.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I think that technically it might be a goal.

pm'd you
  • Options
    Chizz said:

PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

The referee orders the goal kick to be retaken, since the goalkeeper touched the ball again, after kicking it, in other words he passed it to himself.

Ref gives careful consideration to two other things:

1. Did the goalkeeper do it on purpose, in order to waste time? If so, caution the goalkeeper and restart with a goal kick.

2. Is it too windy to carry on? In which case, whistle, abandon game and leg it to the Hare and Billet.
    Will pm you
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

goal kick retaken? would it be the same if a defender ran back and cleared it off the line?
  • Options
    abandon game because of the wind get back home in warm with match fee. Happy days
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

goal kick retaken? would it be the same if a defender ran back and cleared it off the line?
    Will pm you
  • Options
    Free kick to Kanu.