Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laws of the Game - Fun Quiz

Comments

• Options
    I think if it had gone straight in it would have been a corner, but as another player has not touched it can not be a goal. Fair play would say it is retaken, so an indirect free kick?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I think if it had gone straight in it would have been a corner, but as another player has not touched it can not be a goal. Fair play would say it is retaken, so an indirect free kick?

Will pm you
  • Options
    ....from where the gk touched it.
  • Options
    Corner.
  • Options
    pm you
  • Options
    Goalkeeper gets a red card for stopping a goalscoring opportunity and the opposition get a penalty?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Goalkeeper gets a red card for stopping a goalscoring opportunity and the opposition get a penalty?

I will pm you!
  • Options
    If this happened for real surely the game would be called off as condition 's would make play impossible
  • Options

If this happened for real surely the game would be called off as condition 's would make play impossible

Yeovil away, a clearance from the edge of the box went behind for a corner because of the wind.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

PeterGage said:

Question Two Are there any circumstances where a player receiving the ball directly from a pass going backwards (ie away from the direction of the opponents goal) from his own on-side teammate can be penalised for offside? If your answer is "yes", please state the circumstances.

This is not a trick question such as the ball has been deflected by the referee or any other "creative" reasons you can come up with!

Best of luck!

I would guess yes. If he was in an offside position and interfering with a player when the ball was first played forward, but not given as not interfering with play at that time, is then considered to be relevant when the ball is then played back to him.

Who would be a ref!
    This is my answer, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Yes.
    To be offside you have to
    Be in the opponent's half
    In front of the ball
    Have less than two opponents between you and the goal
    Be interfering with play and seeking to gain an advantage.

Following a short corner, an attacking player on the goal line can fulfil all that stuff even if the ball is played backwards.

How can the ball be played backwards to someone on the goal line?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    PeterGage said:

Question Three This time, an unlikely scenario (I have never seen it), but hey, this is a fun quiz.! The answer can be worked out with a knowledge of the Laws of the Game.

Match incident: Very windy day (gale force) on Hackney Marshes or Blackheath. The goalkeeper takes a goal kick into the teeth of the gale. The ball leaves the area (so thus in play). However the wind catches the ball which sails over the same goalkeepers head (ie goes backwards). The goalkeeper just gets his fingertips to the ball but can only divert it into his own goal. What does the referee award.

Best of luck!

Indirect free-kick to the opponents where the 'keeper touched it, because effectively the 'keeper's played it to himself. Would be the same if it was 'to herself', 'to itself', etc., given various sexes or lack thereof of the 'keeper.
  • Options

Yeovil away, a clearance from the edge of the box went behind for a corner because of the wind.
    Was it Fox. Probably a misskick: )
  • Options

seth plum said:

Yes.
    In front of the ball

Following a short corner, an attacking player on the goal line can fulfil all that stuff even if the ball is played backwards.

I said 'following a short corner'
    All the defenders rush out, but the ball is say a couple of meters from the goal line, so if it is played back, perhaps slanted across the area, the guy on the line jumping up and down in front of the keeper fulfils the offside criteria.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
    In front of the ball

All the defenders rush out, but the ball is say a couple of meters from the goal line, so if it is played back, perhaps slanted across the area, the guy on the line jumping up and down in front of the keeper fulfils the offside criteria.
    I know you said short corner, but if the guy is on the goal line the ball can't be played backwards to him. If the ball is a couple of meters from the goal line, it has to be played forwards to the fella.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
    In front of the ball

I know you said short corner, but if the guy is on the goal line the ball can't be played backwards to him. If the ball is a couple of meters from the goal line, it has to be played forwards to the fella.
    The ball is played backwards but some one comes back from an offside position (even off the pitch behind the goal line) and collects the pass. He was offside when the ball was played so he's offside!

• Options
    Answer to Question Three The goalkeeper, by playing the ball (finger tip in this case), has committed an offence, having touched the ball a second from a goal kick without another player of either side playing the ball. The referee should award an indirect free kick to the opposition at the point the goal keeper touched it a second time, unless.....the second touch was nearer the goal line than 10 yards; in which case the free kick should be played from 10 yards from the goal line
  • Options
    Question Four - match Incident: Ricky Holmes is dribbling the ball down the left wing, hugging the line. The opposing full back is facing Ricky. As Ricky approaches the full back, he plays the ball past him, on the field side of play. Ricky however runs off of the field of play to avoid a collision, with the aim of returning to the field of player and collecting the ball after he has passed the opposing full back. However the full back leaves the field of play and deliberately obstructs Ricky. How does the referee deal with this incident and how does he restart the game.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
    In front of the ball

The ball is played backwards but some one comes back from an offside position (even off the pitch behind the goal line) and collects the pass. He was offside when the ball was played so he's offside!

Right, understood.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
    In front of the ball

If he was off the pitch, but still in an offside position when the ball was played, where does the referee award the free kick?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeterGage said:

Question Four - match Incident: Ricky Holmes is dribbling the ball down the left wing, hugging the line. The opposing full back is facing Ricky. As Ricky approaches the full back, he plays the ball past him, on the field side of play. Ricky however runs off of the field of play to avoid a collision, with the aim of returning to the field of player and collecting the ball after he has passed the opposing full back. However the full back leaves the field of play and deliberately obstructs Ricky. How does the referee deal with this incident and how does he restart the game.

Ricky's deliberately left the field of play without permission so that should be a booking.

Similarly for the full-back. The full-back should also be booked for the contact off the field of play, so he gets two yellow cards and is sent off.

Game restarts with a drop ball unless it had already left the pitch before the ref stopped play.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Ricky's deliberately left the field of play without permission so that should be a booking.

Similarly for the full-back. The full-back should also be booked for the contact off the field of play, so he gets two yellow cards and is sent off.

Game restarts with a drop ball unless it had already left the pitch before the ref stopped play.
    It's a good job I'm not a ref or games would be abandoned with teams down to six men every week.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

A foul has occurred off the pitch. Direct free kick to Ricky Holmes' side at where the ball was last when the offence occurred.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

The referee stops the game. Cautions the defender for the deliberate obstruction. Restarts play with a dropped ball.

Handles the scouse invective hurled at him by the Charlton manager by having a quiet word, post-match.
  • Options
    Red card for defender.
    Penalty Charlton
  • Options

Was it Fox. Probably a misskick: )
    No. It was their keeper, McCarthy. He hit it straight enough but the wind was so strong it just came back and a corner was given. (It was a clearance from a back pass, not a goal kick.)
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
    In front of the ball

The ball does not need to be played to the guy on the goal line, he can still be offside even if he wasn't the intended recipient.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Question Three This time, an unlikely scenario (I have never seen it), but hey, this is a fun quiz.! The answer can be worked out with a knowledge of the Laws of the Game.

Match incident: Very windy day (gale force) on Hackney Marshes or Blackheath. The goalkeeper takes a goal kick into the teeth of the gale. The ball leaves the area (so thus in play). However the wind catches the ball which sails over the same goalkeepers head (ie goes backwards). The goalkeeper just gets his fingertips to the ball but can only divert it into his own goal. What does the referee award.

Best of luck!

Apologies for going back to Q3. But if the ball had blown in the net, without the goalie touching the ball, I presume it would be a goal, an own goal ?
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Best of luck!

Apologies for going back to Q3. But if the ball had blown in the net, without the goalie touching the ball, I presume it would be a goal, an own goal ?
    I'm guessing a corner. Something to do with your advantage cannot result in a disadvantage for you (similarly, for any direct or indirect free kick, if you score an own goal directly from it, it would be a corner in most circumstances).
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Answer to Question Three The goalkeeper, by playing the ball (finger tip in this case), has committed an offence, having touched the ball a second from a goal kick without another player of either side playing the ball. The referee should award an indirect free kick to the opposition at the point the goal keeper touched it a second time, unless.....the second touch was nearer the goal line than 10 yards; in which case the free kick should be played from 10 yards from the goal line

Just out of interest, why 10 yards? I'm sure it always used to be that indirect free kicks for offences inside the goal area had to be taken from the edge of the goal area (i.e. 6 yards). Defenders don't have to be 10 yards away if they are standing on their own goal line. Is this a recent change?