Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KR Planning for 2017-2018

Karl Robinson will take his Charlton Athletic players back to an old stomping ground in a bid to get them fully charged for next season's League One promotion assault.
The Addicks boss will take his men to Portmarnock in Ireland, a haunt he used consistently while in charge at MK Dons.
I don't think the players had a proper pre-season last summer because of everything that was going on with the club and everything will be arranged down to the last detail," he said.
"We must all work together as a group, and that includes having motivated players, motivated management and backroom staff.
"We need to finish this season strongly and every game is an audition. The players have to show me they want to be here and then we will work in pre-season on every factor, such as controlling how much rest and recuperation they get."

Robinson wants at least nine friendlies and he intends on getting the players as fit and prepared as they can possibly be.

Read more at http://www.kentlive.news/charlton-athletic-boss-karl-robinson-hopes-irish-eyes-will-smile-on-his-players/story-30233026-detail/story.html#qickS6i6lRaj4kGX.99

Comments

• Options
    Wonder how many players he'll have to take on said trip... are the majority not either on loan or coming to the end of contracts ?
  • Options
    Portmarnock is lovely. Under what capacity Robinson will see it is a different matter
  • Options
    Wonder who we'll play out there.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    IF the Cirque National De Belgique are still at the helm, then it will be more of the same. We all know what the same is...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    If there is no takeover, then Robinson will get to take pre season (assuming we're not relegated) so it makes sense for him to plan ahead

Either way, the fitness of the players this season has been pathetic, and an easy "win" for next season
  • Options
    Sacking the head of the scouting department just as you should be finalising your recruitment targets for next season is probably not the best preparation.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Sacking the head of the scouting department just as you should be finalising your recruitment targets for next season is probably not the best preparation.

Fair comment.
  • Options
    Pre season in China under our new owners
  • Options
    It fails to mention that Pats Textiles of Eltham are busy making curtains to match the tablecloths at the training ground in the push for 13th place.
  • Options
    If there's no takeover that pre-season trip will be largely youth team products
  • Options
    in a v nice part of ireland, nice golf courses and not too bad for the nightlife as dublin isnt too far away - so karl should have a great time.
  • Options
    As an aside, KR does need to move on from MKD...

"At MKD we used to do this..at MKD we had this player...at MKD we tried..."

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Portmarnock is lovely. Under what capacity Robinson will see it is a different matter

Great golf course - sadly not played it - but will there be enough players to make up a 4-ball ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shirty5 said:

Great golf course - sadly not played it - but will there be enough players to make up a 4-ball ??
    Enough coaches anyway
  • Options
    A Scouser ?
    Going to Ireland ?

That's a new one.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    He needs to have most of his squad sorted before tne trip. It would be a first fo us under this inept ownership, so not holding my breath!
  • Options
    He can think about planning as much as he likes but there's as much chance of any of it coming to fruition as I have of joining the squad and running out as the newly discovered wing wizard at The Valley in August. Come to think of it I'm exactly the standard and quality of player roly's toxic pantomime is capable of signing this summer. If rtp has staged its final act before August this year then KR's got naff all chance of still being in post under whoever succeeds the septuagenarian shitforbrains.
    Keep smilin
  • Options
    We still have to focus on staying up this season before we can even worry about next season. Thanks Roland!
  • Options
    Its a perfectly reasonable thing for Robinson to say and plan.

My presumption would be that Roland will pull back now from any further spending on the club. I also think he may keep Robinson in situ as well, even though our form under him doesn't really deserve him being kept around.

Although our squad in 2017-18 is likely to be reduced having people who are fit and less prone to injury can only be better.
  • Options
    If you're going to have small squads then fitness and injury prevention become even more important.

Just as if you're going to sign many unproven players your scouting has to be spot on.

Or if you want your squad to be made up of a lot of young players it's important they have the manager, coaches and senior players to guide and develop them.

RD wanted all of those things yet put unproven coaches in charge, working alongside their own unproven assistants and staff. Add regular sackings and you can see why we've done so badly.
  • Options
    You can't beat a bit of bully as Jm Bowen used to say.