Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Indian takeover rumour from Sage.  Must be worth five more pages.
    Got potential this one.

First player they’d try to sign is Mo Salah.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    VOTV mentions an independent valuation of the land and gives figures for that.

The other assets ie player contracts, league membership and location (is being in London more desirable than Bolton or Wigan for example) are far more difficult to value.
    I haven't seen the VOTV valuation but it should be the value as current use only - i.e. without planning permission for any other use.

In terms of ongoing operations, the club is losing £10m a year so it could be argued that the value of the players' contracts, league membership and 'goodwill' (in very short supply) is offset by the operational losses - unless potential growth (promotion to PL) is taken into account.

So club value zero - asset value as a stadium and training ground maybe £20m. A lot more if both sites, especially SL, could be developed, but the chances of that are remote.
    Without going into all the ins and outs of it, the valuation of the land given Is £20m for The Valley and £3m for Sparrows Lane, reflecting their planning status.

Then £23m is all the club is worth.
    Would you even say its worth that if it costs 50% of the value to operate every year? 

There is an opportunity value in potential future earnings based on the fact that the club is a going concern with an EFL licence and a stadium to play in. My view is that this potential just about mitigates the current operating losses.  

Tesla haven't made a profit in 15 years yet their market value is $49bn!

• Sage said:
    I would love for someone to come in with a bid of 70mil, Roland accepts without reading anything because he is so happy to get all his money back.

The deal goes through and everyone is shocked.

Roland looks at his account and something doesn’t quite add up.

For the first time he looks at the contract and price agreement and realises it says 70 million rupees.

We’re rid of him and there’s nothing he can do about it because this act would demonstrate his pure idiocy over the last 5 years.

I am surprised no one has done this yet.

:smiley:
    I like it. But let’s go even further. That amount in Uzbek Som will leave Roland with £6.50. I think that’s more than fair after the way he’s treated us.  
    Yes, I like it. Couldn’t agree more.

That’s now an Indian takeover and a Uzbekistan takeover.

HI is going to wet his pants!
  • If they have enough Kashmir then perhaps they Calcutta deal 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    If they have enough Kashmir then perhaps they Calcutta deal 
    Can then even afford to sign Naani....
  • bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    VOTV mentions an independent valuation of the land and gives figures for that.

The other assets ie player contracts, league membership and location (is being in London more desirable than Bolton or Wigan for example) are far more difficult to value.
    I haven't seen the VOTV valuation but it should be the value as current use only - i.e. without planning permission for any other use.

In terms of ongoing operations, the club is losing £10m a year so it could be argued that the value of the players' contracts, league membership and 'goodwill' (in very short supply) is offset by the operational losses - unless potential growth (promotion to PL) is taken into account.

So club value zero - asset value as a stadium and training ground maybe £20m. A lot more if both sites, especially SL, could be developed, but the chances of that are remote.
    Without going into all the ins and outs of it, the valuation of the land given Is £20m for The Valley and £3m for Sparrows Lane, reflecting their planning status.

Then £23m is all the club is worth.
    Would you even say its worth that if it costs 50% of the value to operate every year? 

There is an opportunity value in potential future earnings based on the fact that the club is a going concern with an EFL licence and a stadium to play in. My view is that this potential just about mitigates the current operating losses.  

Tesla haven't made a profit in 15 years yet their market value is $49bn!

It's only a going concern with "owner funding".  This is a much bigger problem than just RD and us.  How long can 80 plus clubs keep being signed off as going concerns when they are all either 1 relegation or an owner no longer prepared to sub them away from going out of business? 
  • Sage said:
    Indian takeover rumour from Sage.  Must be worth five more pages.
    Got potential this one.

First player they’d try to sign is Mo Salah.
    Sounds a bit Phal-fetched to me.
  • So on that basis lets all get back down Charlton and spend our hard earned cash so Roland will invest more in to better players !!
  • Sponsored links:

• 1576, Dartford Grammar School is founded.
    I'd have posted that if you hadnt
  • Roland will continue to fund us to the bare minimum and nobody can force him to sell.   He is the only person owed money here and he's charging interest on it.

Anybody can see our squad will be ripped apart at the end of the season, but the ELF won't do anything until we can't fulfil our fixtures, but there'll always be a pro football who wants to play football for Charlton.

We have an idiot for an owner, but we are still above 67 other teams in the Football League!

• PeterGage said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    PeterGage said:
    Gillis said:
    PeterGage said:
    As a boycotter, I rarely watch Charlton these days. I watched the game yesterday on TV and thought they played really well; far better than 3 years ago before I ceased attending. However I find it incomprehensibly that supporters can put money in Roly's pocket at 3pm on a Saturday and then trash him on CL at 1705pm and indeed any other time...just my opinion.
    An opinion you (and others) have aired many, many times before, which inevitably leads to the same debate, with the same entrenched positions.

I'm not sure it's productive for people on either side of this issue to keep raising it, but people inevitably will. I can't be the only person that's a little tired of it now.
    I guess you are one of those that do give their £25 plus to Roly at 1500hrs and then moan later about the guy - unbelievable 😎
    For me what is unbelievable is that you claim to be a Charlton fan who sees boycotting as taking some sort of moral high ground.
    A so called Charlton fan who has not watched “us” for 3 years and after watching this game refers to the team as “them”

I am not claiming to hold any moral high ground, just simply stating a fact that I cant understand how ppl can put money into Roly's pocket at 3pm on a Saturday and bitch about him for the rest of the week - oxymoron.

You can put your own definition on the word "supporter". I dont have any need to justify my interpretation.

Have a good day.
    But new owners will be open to scrutiny by fans, and the fact that they’re paying their £25 won’t alter that. 
  • I don't agree with some of the assumptions people make about the cost being absolutely minimum to keep the club going.  I also don't agree that RD actively doesn't want the club to get promoted.  What he does want, God only knows, I don't even think RD knows himself.

If he wanted to reduce the costs, below what they are now, he could have done so quite easily.  Selling BFG in the summer for example. 

If he was scared of promotion we won't have brought any players in in January, this season or last. Was it enough, no. 

Why did he sanction the signing of Taylor, who I assume is on a good wedge for league 1?  A redline for Bowyer?  If Lee had walked over it 20 other people would be queuing up for the job.

I would hazard a guess that he, and his "advisors" feel that the wage bill, and calibre of players, is sufficient to "challenge for promotion".  If we had signed another striker in January it wouldn't guarantee us promotion, neither has not signing one end any chance.

I think that this is where people like RD, Mike Ashley and Alan Sugar struggle with understanding football.  How much do you have to spend to guarantee anything in football?  These people make calculated risks everyday and it just doesn't work the same in football. Sunderland spent £4 million on a striker, he may score the goal that gets them promoted, equally he could miss the deciding penalty in the play off final it's no guarantee. 

Equally he isn't running a player farm as we haven't signed any young players to develop and sell on since Page and JFC.

The more I think about it the less clear it becomes.  What ever he is trying to do he isn't doing it very well is he? 
  • I can see some people disliking the idea of being taken by an Indian consortium. I reckon there would be a fair bit of argy baji.

Personally I'd recommend people not get too excited, just korma down.
  • What is the end game ?
  • PeterGage said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    PeterGage said:
    Gillis said:
    PeterGage said:
    As a boycotter, I rarely watch Charlton these days. I watched the game yesterday on TV and thought they played really well; far better than 3 years ago before I ceased attending. However I find it incomprehensibly that supporters can put money in Roly's pocket at 3pm on a Saturday and then trash him on CL at 1705pm and indeed any other time...just my opinion.
    An opinion you (and others) have aired many, many times before, which inevitably leads to the same debate, with the same entrenched positions.

I'm not sure it's productive for people on either side of this issue to keep raising it, but people inevitably will. I can't be the only person that's a little tired of it now.
    I guess you are one of those that do give their £25 plus to Roly at 1500hrs and then moan later about the guy - unbelievable 😎
    For me what is unbelievable is that you claim to be a Charlton fan who sees boycotting as taking some sort of moral high ground.
    A so called Charlton fan who has not watched “us” for 3 years and after watching this game refers to the team as “them”

I am not claiming to hold any moral high ground, just simply stating a fact that I cant understand how ppl can put money into Roly's pocket at 3pm on a Saturday and bitch about him for the rest of the week - oxymoron.

You can put your own definition on the word "supporter". I dont have any need to justify my interpretation.

Have a good day.
    Im not going to criticise you @PeterGage nor question your Charlton credentials as I know what they are and I have far too much respect for you and others.

And I also understand your argument. Indeed I never renewed my season ticket a couple of seasons ago as I too felt a fraud through protesting and then paying my money. 

But with one side of your argument there are also other sides.

Would you not equally agree that that £25 that ‘lines Roland’s pockets’ also goes towards paying Lyle Taylor’s wages, Josh Cullen and Bielik’s loan fees, and the wages of everyone of those players that busted an absolute gut in our shirt on Saturday?

That it pays Tracey Leaburn’s wages and a whole host of long serving staff that have been here long before Roland and who many equally can’t stand what he’s done to the club?

That if more people paid their £25 than currently are the club would have a better chance of securing Joe Aribo as a Charlton player for the next 3 years?

And finally, that the badge, The Valley and heart and spirit of being ‘Charlton’ is so much more than a distant overseas man that currently owns it at this specific point in time?

It’s never straight forward and there is no convincing argument either way imo. I can’t only speak for myself and say I got back back into it and I am so so pleased that I did as I’ve loved seeing the commitment and football played by our players, particularly since Bowyer has taken over. 
    It won’t even be a consideration. Even capacity crowds would not eliminate the current operating loss and RD isn’t going to put in a penny more than he needs to keep the club going for a sale. He would just pocket the extra money and laugh at at anyone who had believed otherwise.
    How is he pocketing anything? The club runs at a massive loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    PeterGage said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    PeterGage said:
    Gillis said:
    PeterGage said:

Have a good day.
    But new owners will be open to scrutiny by fans, and the fact that they’re paying their £25 won’t alter that. 
    Agreed, but there are differing levels of "scrutiny". We all seem to agree that Roly's level of scrunity is of the highest order for the way he has ran the club for the last 4 year's plus. Hence my 3pm and 5pm comments, which I stick by.
  • PeterGage said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    PeterGage said:
    Gillis said:
    PeterGage said:

Have a good day.
    Im not going to criticise you @PeterGage nor question your Charlton credentials as I know what they are and I have far too much respect for you and others.

And I also understand your argument. Indeed I never renewed my season ticket a couple of seasons ago as I too felt a fraud through protesting and then paying my money. 

Would you not equally agree that that £25 that ‘lines Roland’s pockets’ also goes towards paying Lyle Taylor’s wages, Josh Cullen and Bielik’s loan fees, and the wages of everyone of those players that busted an absolute gut in our shirt on Saturday?

That it pays Tracey Leaburn’s wages and a whole host of long serving staff that have been here long before Roland and who many equally can’t stand what he’s done to the club?

That if more people paid their £25 than currently are the club would have a better chance of securing Joe Aribo as a Charlton player for the next 3 years?

And finally, that the badge, The Valley and heart and spirit of being ‘Charlton’ is so much more than a distant overseas man that currently owns it at this specific point in time?

It’s never straight forward and there is no convincing argument either way imo. I can’t only speak for myself and say I got back back into it and I am so so pleased that I did as I’ve loved seeing the commitment and football played by our players, particularly since Bowyer has taken over. 
    It won’t even be a consideration. Even capacity crowds would not eliminate the current operating loss and RD isn’t going to put in a penny more than he needs to keep the club going for a sale. He would just pocket the extra money and laugh at at anyone who had believed otherwise.
    It will determine, along with the eventual sale price and any intervening player sales, how much he ultimately loses. So, yes, he will pocket the difference.
  • PeterGage said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    PeterGage said:
    Gillis said:
    PeterGage said:

Have a good day.

It will determine, along with the eventual sale price and any intervening player sales, how much he ultimately loses. So, yes, he will pocket the difference.
    Ah, I see what you mean, although he's deffinately going to lose a small fortune so I'm not sure we can call it pocketing.

• I need my Charlton fix. The Portsmouth game was like a Wedding of a mate when you know it's going to end in tears and not last but you enjoy the moment. 
    The disparity of the amount RD wants and the genuine offer on the table, means we have no hope of this ever ending before the grim reaper works his magic/tragic (delete to suit)
  • The amount of football tourists at Charlton home games is quite high. The guy I talked to on Saturday at East Croydon with his Charlton club shop bag had been to Palace v Brighton and then on to the Valley.
    The guy was with his two friends from Luxembourg and was heading back to his hotel in Concrete ridden central Croydon.
    (100% true, the feller said the noise was louder at the valley than Selhurst !)

Only recalling this story because Charlton are the same price as some national League teams (£20 unless gold game) whoever  thinks a near total boycott could ever happen are living in a utopian alternative universe.

• Of course it's absurd for RD to demand that EFL buy the club. But surely the EFL does have one powerful sanction - they could threaten to expel CAFC. Under what circumstances could RD - or any other delinquent owner for that matter - be kicked out, besides the inability to fulfil their fixtures? If the answer is none, perhaps it's time EFL adopted some further powers to dispossess or at least discipline these rogues. 

• What is the end game ?
    What is the exit strategy?

Remember that question that so many people laughed at and dismissed?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!