Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• CatAddick said:
    I was listening to the most recent CHARLTON LIVE podcast yesterday. Listening to them, the amount of player contracts ending and the likely end of some loans is really frightening! We could be a threadbare team next season! Really makes it imperative that Douchechatelet sells us between now and December. I really did not realize our situation on the contract-front until now. Yikes.

I've been saying it for months.  If there is no sale this year (and no strengthening / replacement)  you can lump on for relegation next season - whether it's straight back down from the Championship or from League 1 we'll find out in May

This 100% !!!!
  • Nug said:
    CatAddick said:
    I was listening to the most recent CHARLTON LIVE podcast yesterday. Listening to them, the amount of player contracts ending and the likely end of some loans is really frightening! We could be a threadbare team next season! Really makes it imperative that Douchechatelet sells us between now and December. I really did not realize our situation on the contract-front until now. Yikes.

I've been saying it for months.  If there is no sale this year (and no strengthening / replacement)  you can lump on for relegation next season - whether it's straight back down from the Championship or from League 1 we'll find out in May
    But that's normal with loans. Last season we had loan players who went back at the end of the season, namely Dasilva, Amos, Mavididi, Kaikai and Zyro, the first 2 being key players. And all got replaced with new loan players.

And as for the players who's contracts are expiring, they'll be replaced by other free signings, all our signings over the last 2 seasons have been freebies or nominal fees. We'll have a competitive team next season as long as Bowyer and Gallen are still here, and losing the likes of Bauer and Igor will help rebalance the wage bill.

Losing Aribo on a free will be a financial nonsense, but most of the others leaving are either deadwood (e.g. Ajose) or replaceable (e.g. Reeves)
    I think you’re underplaying it a bit. Of course we’ll get more loans and freebies in but it would have been nice to have built on this season rather than start again. A whole new midfield won’t be ideal and I doubt Igor and Bauer’s wages will be reinvested in full, rather an opportunity to reduce the overall wage bill.
    Of course it would be nice to build on this season, but my comment was more a response to the "we'll be relegation candidates next season in L1" comments. Even with Roland reducing the budget, we'll still be competitive next season, and an attractive option for L1 players out of contract (like Lyle Taylor last summer)
  • How long before players start to turn us down, on the basis we are basket case under RD.  If there's no sale or promotion, I wouldn't blame LT for going in the summer.  There's bound to be offers, and RD is likely to find it hard to refuse them. 

Yes, it's great to have a cleaner slate to create a more balanced wage bill, but the player turnover will make success hard to come by, even if Bowyer and Gallen stay on (which i doubt they would, for the same reasons as LT).  

• How long before players start to turn us down, on the basis we are basket case under RD.  If there's no sale or promotion, I wouldn't blame LT for going in the summer.  There's bound to be offers, and RD is likely to find it hard to refuse them. 

Yes, it's great to have a cleaner slate to create a more balanced wage bill, but the player turnover will make success hard to come by, even if Bowyer and Gallen stay on (which i doubt they would, for the same reasons as LT).  

We're not a basket case when compared to the majority of L1 sides though. Even with a reduced budget, we'll still be paying competitive wages, and have better training facilities and stadium.
  • Yes, the optimist in me says that we could pick up some free agents but then realism kicks in.  He'll probably say NO more funding cos he’s actively selling (lol) and whoever is in charge will only be able to pick from the U23's and U18's - as technically gifted as many of them are I think they would struggle against L1 teams such as Accrington..
  • Hes just waiting to the season end to sell, if we go up via the playoffs he will get more money, if we dont get to the playiffs or lose, and facing a close season with no income he will bite the bullet and sell.
  • edited March 2019
    CatAddick said:

But that's normal with loans. Last season we had loan players who went back at the end of the season, namely Dasilva, Amos, Mavididi, Kaikai and Zyro, the first 2 being key players. And all got replaced with new loan players.

And as for the players who's contracts are expiring, they'll be replaced by other free signings, all our signings over the last 2 seasons have been freebies or nominal fees. We'll have a competitive team next season as long as Bowyer and Gallen are still here, and losing the likes of Bauer and Igor will help rebalance the wage bill.

Losing Aribo on a free will be a financial nonsense, but most of the others leaving are either deadwood (e.g. Ajose) or replaceable (e.g. Reeves)
    Absolutely this. I'm not concerned that we would be relegated from L1 next season.
    I may be concerned that we'd struggle to make the play offs.

As you say apart from Aribo, Bauer & maybe Fosu who would be a big loss, most of the others we either wouldn't want to renew or wouldn't be overly concerned with renewing as of today.
    The reason being we don't know what division we will be in.

Why would we be giving Reeves (for example) a new contract now, when we could be in The Championship next season ?
  • edited March 2019
    What I'm struggling with is that he is selling a "going concern", i.e. a functioning business/team.  He's not just selling fixed assets like the stadium, training ground, etc.  If the club hasn't got players and is on a downward spiral then the value will be massively reduced, it's future value eroded and any valuation will be greatly reduced.  I realise that we are not dealing with a rational person here but he must realise that to stand any chance of getting any of his money back he must keep the club going at its current level, at a minimum, so why not offer the out-of-contract players new deals.  It won't stop him selling them and their value will only increase if they're in demand.  What's more if we were in the Championship the club must have a higher value and attractiveness to buyers.  Sickeningly stupid approach.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we are still L1 next season it is almost certain 4 big earners - likely our biggest earners - will be gone.  Ajose, Bauer, Vet on free’s and Sarr for a fee.  The question is, would RD invest any of that budget or just reduce accordingly.  He could quite easily fund a substantial increase in Aribo’s wages through this.
    Given that he's probably not fussed if we get promoted or not, i think he'd do the bare minimum
  • CatAddick said:

Absolutely this. I'm not concerned that we would be relegated from L1 next season.

As you say apart from Aribo, Bauer & maybe Fosu who would be a big loss, most of the others we either wouldn't want to renew or wouldn't be overly concerned with renewing as of today.

Why would we be giving Reeves (for example) a new contract now, when we could be in The Championship next season ?
    So you have to assume currently that Aribo, Fosu, Reeves, Forster-Caskey, Marshall and Williams may well all be gone in L1, plus Bielik and Cullen given they're on loan. That leaves a midfield of Pratley, Lapslie and Morgan. I think both the latter two are going to be very good players, but it's basically starting again. 

The only reason Sarr wouldn't be sold is that it's doubtful anyone will pay his wages. If they do that leaves Pearce as centre-half, possibly Stevenson but they are both left-sided. Up front, someone may take a punt on Taylor and again, unless his contract is extended, Duchatelet would be likely to sell him. I'm unconvinced by Parker, but he might be offered another contract on the basis that he's cheap.

You can make arguments around individual players and whether they are ideal, but it's the scale of the rebuild with no budget that poses the risk.

We're not a basket case when compared to the majority of L1 sides though. Even with a reduced budget, we'll still be paying competitive wages, and have better training facilities and stadium.
    I think that's a good point.  We often underestimate what a pickle other L1 clubs are in.

I guess, I think if Lyle Taylor knew then what he knows now, he wouldn't have joined last summer.  We must be pulling the wool over players eyes when we try to sell them the CAFC dream, and that must be harder and harder to do, when our own current squad are speaking out in public, saying what a mess the club is in due to Roland's idiocy.  

I'm not criticising anyone for speaking out against RD, my point is under this ownership, terminal decline is inevitable.  Every season RD will commit less money, and every transfer window it will be harder to attract suitable replacements for out going players. 
  • edited March 2019
    How long before players start to turn us down, on the basis we are basket case under RD.  If there's no sale or promotion, I wouldn't blame LT for going in the summer.  There's bound to be offers, and RD is likely to find it hard to refuse them. 

I think that's a good point.  We often underestimate what a pickle other L1 clubs are in.

I guess, I think if Lyle Taylor knew then what he knows now, he wouldn't have joined last summer.  We must be pulling the wool over players eyes when we try to sell them the CAFC dream, and that must be harder and harder to do, when our own current squad are speaking out in public, saying what a mess the club is in due to Roland's idiocy.  

I'm not criticising anyone for speaking out against RD, my point is under this ownership, terminal decline is inevitable.  Every season RD will commit less money, and every transfer window it will be harder to attract suitable replacements for out going players. 
    I doubt Lyle is that upset. Sunderland are only 2 places ahead of us, and while a better run and bigger club than us, he's a London lad so that may compensate

Chizz said:
    How long before players start to turn us down, on the basis we are basket case under RD.  If there's no sale or promotion, I wouldn't blame LT for going in the summer.  There's bound to be offers, and RD is likely to find it hard to refuse them. 

• Graffiti. Taxis. Pigs. Crisps. Beach balls. 
    • Riga. Peeters. Luzon. Fraeye. Slade. Robinson.
    • No management under contract on 1 July.  And, at that time, too few first team players under contract to have a meaningful five-aside game in training. 
    • A demand that the EFL buys the club. 
    • A million a month in losses. That's: a million a month in losses. 
    • ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • Fans travelling to Belgium to let the owner know what they think of him, instead of travelling to Charlton to watch the team play. 
    • The lies, built upon lies, built upon lies, built upon lies dished up at FF meetings, written down, edited out and served up as verbatim transcripts, leaving out some of the lies.  
    • The vacant CEO role.  
    • No water for the kids. No lunch for the staff at their desks.  No ticket office.  
    • The. Owner. Is. Reported. To. Have. Turned. Down. Offers. Of. Twice. The. Amount. Of. Money. He. Paid. For. The. Club. 
    But, "we're not a basket case when compared to the majority of L1 sides though".  OK.
    The majority of those issues don't affect the players though. They are concerned with their wages, team spirit, the training facilities and stadium and dare I say it the "cred" of the club they are playing for. No player would choose to join say Gillingham over us because of the dodgy owner.
  • Chizz said:

• No management under contract on 1 July.  And, at that time, too few first team players under contract to have a meaningful five-aside game in training. 
    • ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • Fans travelling to Belgium to let the owner know what they think of him, instead of travelling to Charlton to watch the team play. 
    • The lies, built upon lies, built upon lies, built upon lies dished up at FF meetings, written down, edited out and served up as verbatim transcripts, leaving out some of the lies.  
    • The vacant CEO role.  
    • No water for the kids. No lunch for the staff at their desks.  No ticket office.  
    • The. Owner. Is. Reported. To. Have. Turned. Down. Offers. Of. Twice. The. Amount. Of. Money. He. Paid. For. The. Club. 
    But, "we're not a basket case when compared to the majority of L1 sides though".  OK.
    He was clearly talking about the football team as opposed to "all the rest".
  • If anyone on here thinks Roland is going to re-invest anything, then 1) I fear for your sanity and 2) You need your bumps feeling!
  • 1580, an earthquake in the Dover Straits was one of the largest Britain has suffered. Tremors were felt all over the country.
  • CatAddick said:

So you have to assume currently that Aribo, Fosu, Reeves, Forster-Caskey, Marshall and Williams may well all be gone in L1, plus Bielik and Cullen given they're on loan. That leaves a midfield of Pratley, Lapslie and Morgan. I think both the latter two are going to be very good players, but it's basically starting again. 

The only reason Sarr wouldn't be sold is that it's doubtful anyone will pay his wages. If they do that leaves Pearce as centre-half, possibly Stevenson but they are both left-sided. Up front, someone may take a punt on Taylor and again, unless his contract is extended, Duchatelet would be likely to sell him. I'm unconvinced by Parker, but he might be offered another contract on the basis that he's cheap.

You can make arguments around individual players and whether they are ideal, but it's the scale of the rebuild with no budget that poses the risk.
    I agree with what you say & the situation is far from ideal.
    We all know RD is a complete twat and we should have had Aribo & Fosu signed up earlier in the season.

Bauer said he wouldn't sign a new deal, but hopefully he will if we get promoted.
    I'd forgotten about JFC and would like him signed up as well, although you wouldn't have wanted to sign him up long term a few months ago, in case his injury was worse than anticipated.

Williams probably wouldn't sign a new deal as of today and I wouldn't be signings new contracts for the others until we know what division we will be in, although we should be having talks with them. 
    The others (I believe) are Marshall, Vetokele, RHF, Parker, Reeves, Bowry, Yao, Cummings, Mascoll and Umerah. 
  • Chizz said:

• ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • The vacant CEO role.  
    Yeah, but besides that! 😉
  • What have the Belgians ever done for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• CatAddick said:

Ah that's ok then, at least we are aiming high!
  • What have the Belgians ever done for us?
    Mayo on chips.
  • CatAddick said:

It's obviously not ok and I did not suggest it was.

If you read the thread I was replying to Napa suggesting that  "If there is no sale this year (and no strengthening / replacement)  you can lump on for relegation next season - whether it's straight back down from the Championship or from League 1."
  • Does the business world not turn their backs on proven bad liars / people that talk sh1t thus rendering themselves not worth dealing with? 

The interview that RD done just after someone wrote "Fuck off" on his window, proved that he both flaps and talks out of his arse when under pressure. 
  • CatAddick said:

It's obviously not ok and I did not suggest it was.

If you read the thread I was replying to Napa suggesting that  "If there is no sale this year (and no strengthening / replacement)  you can lump on for relegation next season - whether it's straight back down from the Championship or from League 1."
    I wouldn't be totally surprised. Any decent players that go are not going to be replaced by anything like the same quality. 

All well and good saying Reeves is irreplaceable, but is a freebie on 2k going to be any better than him? I doubt it. 
  • Chizz said:

• ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • The vacant CEO role.  
    If you're a good player, you get offers to join good clubs.  So you weigh them up, considering everything.  What good player would choose Charlton, when taking into consideration everything on the list, over other, similar sized clubs? 

If you're not a good player, you're not fussy.  But we should be. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

• ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • The vacant CEO role.  
    If you're a good player, you get offers to join good clubs.  So you weigh them up, considering everything.  What good player would choose Charlton, when taking into consideration everything on the list, over other, similar sized clubs? 

If I were a good player & ignoring where I lived, I'd choose Charlton in L1 above most others.
    Perhaps Sunderland & Pompey would be preferential, but the other 21 ?

Charlton or Barnsley, Donny, Luton, Blackpool, Gillingham, Burton, Rochdale, Southend etc etc. 
    Definitely Charlton.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

• ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • The vacant CEO role.  

If I were a good player & ignoring where I lived, I'd choose Charlton in L1 above most others.

Charlton or Barnsley, Donny, Luton, Blackpool, Gillingham, Burton, Rochdale, Southend etc etc. 
    Definitely Charlton.
    So would I.  But, as we're both Charlton fans, do you think, in some way, we might have some unconscious bias? 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

• ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • The vacant CEO role.  

Definitely Charlton.
    So would I.  But, as we're both Charlton fans, do you think, in some way, we might have some unconscious bias? 
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

• ROT. 
    • CARD. 
    • The vacant CEO role.  

Definitely Charlton.
    Just a smidgen. But we agree on something, so there's something to celebrate :-)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!