Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Where's @Stig with his post of  the week meme!
  • Options
    1957, Charlton relegated from Division 1.
  • Options
    Be interested to see if the current fall in sterling is the reason why the perceived price in the Club has risen.
  • Options
    1957, Charlton relegated from Division 1.

Otherwise it was a very, very good year!
  • Options
    Norwich, Hull and Boro still on parachute payments though?
  • Options

Not sure why you needed to repost that again @PragueAddickbut I don't thin(k you can pick and choose quotes from Roland to suit arguments. Its been proven he's bonkers and many feel tells lies, half truths and twists on situations, so i wouldn't equally accept a quote that suits your agenda as being factually correct.

Equally, your view is influenced by what you are told by the Standard Socios, who will naturally not downplay their involvement.

When Roland eventually does sell the club on, those who have been active in protesting in Belgium will say it is down to their actions, those active in protesting in the UK will say its down to them. Jim White will say it was the pressure he put on Roland, Dreisen will say it was on his recomendation etc...We've been protesting in the UK for 4 years and in Belgium for 3 1/2 years. As further time goes on while there is no sale, no slashing of demands (let alone desperation to exit), the less and less credibility any of those claims will hold.

Of course they add to the backdrop and create publicity and difficulty to him, but my key point is that absolutely none of that publicity or difficulty has led to him attempting to escalate his exit in any way over the last couple of years (even less so if the rumours of raising the price are true). i don't understand why that view is perceived as contraversial.  

So we can all bang the drum and engage in 'we will fight them on the beaches' rally-rousing stuff about previous 'fan victories', it can serve a purpose in lifting those engaged and providing them hope and it can give off the view of Charlton fans being passionate, creative, determined and many other positive things.

But if you evaluate the last four years its clear he is a steely determined individual only ever influenced by his own mindset, which in his mind rarely wrong. And while other aspects clearly succeed in annoying him and in many cases provoke a reaction, it has never steered him any nearer to hastening his exit by making the sale more viable. Worryingly, no one can categorically say either that everytime Charlton fans annoy him in some way it doesn't make him more determined in his own mind to ensure he doesn't concede on his stance, can they?

What do i think his mindset is saying? Who knows with him. My best interpretation is that he seperates this into three categories, potentially four; the club, the assets, the directors debt and potentially his own debt.

In his mind, he is giving the club away. The problem is the accumulation of the valuation of the assets, and the other debt take the acquisition away from what is a viable fair value for a purchaser. But he just can't see that, as he sees land value as something he should not have to haircut. Why should he sell a house for less than its worth? He can't discount the club any further as he's attaching no valuation to it, and probably accepts he's not going to get all his debt back (how much his red line is on this is anyone's guess).

But in my mind that land value is key and why i have had so little confidence over the last two years of a sale as i can't see anyone willing to pay that to take on a loss-making club and i can't see him lowering. I thought there was a chance in the immediate weeks following Wembley of either an interested party biting the bullet and raising it a bit more, or Roland seeing that opportunity to get out while the focus and interest was there, but neither happened and it was clear weeks ago that this window of opportunity had now sadly passed.

So your belief is that if there had been no protests whatsoever he would have acted in exactly the same way throughout, Fraeye would have been removed in January 2016, British managers culminating in Bowyer would have been appointed, Meire would still have left and he would have moved from his 2017 position that the club was not for sale to negotiating with a whole stream of interested parties while spending hundreds of thousands on professional fees?

Reminds me of the late Bill Treadgold, who argued that the Valley campaign had no impact on the return to The Valley because the directors were always going to bring the club back anyway, a view which just happened to justify his do-nothing position as chairman of the supporters' club.
    None of those things, apart from the last are to do with his exit though, just, the protests may have made him change his approach, clearly theyve not made him sell.

He's trying to sell all his clubs, not just Charlton, his issue is football is general, not CARD, ROT, B20 etcetc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Indeed, but Roland said every club is expected to lose £15m; he didn't differentiate.

Millwall are a very good proxy for Charlton, although our revenue is likely to be higher than theirs in a like-for-like season. Both clubs perform very badly indeed in terms of commercial revenue, which is another key to understanding their financial position relative to the rest of the division. Charlton's declared commercial revenue was under £1.5m in every one of the last five years for which we have figures.

• Options
    To back up Airman Brown's comments of a few pages ago, he is unlikely to make a loss this year.

2019 Fcast 2018 2017
    Central Income                  6,500                 1,420                       1,803
    Match Day                  5,000                 3,402                       3,176
    Commercial                  1,400                 1,344                       1,241
    Other                  2,000                 1,144                       1,396
    TOTAL                14,900                 7,310                       7,616

Correct me if I'm wrong on any numbers.  Central  I am including league basic of £6.3m plus two TV home games @£100k.  Match day will be up because Jimmy Seed will be full/nearly most games plus a few boycotters like myself buoyed by Wembley.  Other, unseen benefits of a higher division.  On the wages front, we have lost Igor, BFG, Ajosi and a few other relatively big earners and ongoing agents saving conservative £2m. I have assumed player transfers are over more than one year so as last year.  So from last year's £10.5m loss we have a £7.5m improvement in income, £2m in costs giving almost breakeven.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Hex said:
    Agreed. He believes his view is absolutely rationale from the standpoint of a business model and the rest of the world has gone mad. He is probably right but anyone buying a football club should go into it expecting they will likely lose money unless they are in the Premier League.

The problem is, he wants out but appears to expect any potential buyer to pay for the ongoing errors made on his watch in terms of management rotations, poor player acquisitions, handling of outgoing player valuations and as he moved up the learning curve on English football economics. As has been said, he had the option to get out as soon as he realised the EFL had moved the goalposts as regards FFP. However, if he can keep the club on life support by breaking even, despite relegations back to League 1 or even 2, at least it isn’t costing him money.

Whilst I concede having a reasonable level of current operating costs to outline  to potential buyers is good, they will have their view on their appetite for annual losses over the near term. They are however more likely to be interested in a reasonable upfront purchase price and what might be considered reasonable for a Championship club is unlikely to be considered reasonable the further down the leagues the club goes.

Promotion back to the Championship was probably his best chance of extricating himself with a reasonable price to defray some of his investment and it looks like he is closing the window on that.

It may not make any difference in terms of changing his stubbornness but I think in the Fans Forum, CAST communications, interaction with the press etc there has to be continued emphasis on his quotes above and the fact that he has no footballing ambition for the club and that he is living in cloud cuckoo land if he is holding out for a price that covers his aggregate losses for the past 5 years. It would be good if any of the buyers who have walked away would reveal the exact price they had offered.
    I don't totally agree with this as it may be considered too commercially sensitive and may not be the real problem as a price seems to get agreed.  However, it would be interesting to know what he uses to increase the price.  Eg does he throw in a percentage of the sale price of any youngsters in the academy ?  
    Yes, commercially sensitive, with NDAs still Potentially binding if a deal not finally agreed. 
    This is the bit I don't understand.

You approach RD to buy the Club, part of the negoatiations is to agree a NDA.

You pull out of the deal due to the irrational behaviour of the seller, so surely the NDA becomes null and void. The seller cannot prevent you from telling the World about your approach, offer and reasons for withdrawing.

Does Mrs RD have to sign a NDA when they're discussing what to have for dinner tonight?
    Your guess is as good as mine. I was really just hypothesising that buyers may have been asked to sign an NDA that is binding regardless of whether or not a deal is concluded. You would think some snippets would leak but not really so far.
    Under an NDA there is normally a clause which states the buying party are legally obliged to keep the information they find out private for 2 years (some 1 year but 2 years is standard). 

Source - my job working in mergers & acquisitions. 

Also trust me I've joked to my partners constantly to try get us involved with the sale for the last 11 months (since I started) and they saw our Business Plan before Roland acquired the club and said there was some dodgy debt he'd stay a mile away from
    Debt that was exposed in the Jimenez v Khakshouri case.
  • Options
    Where's @Stig with his post of  the week meme!
    Admin will give it a promote : - )
  • Options
    I’m going out soon. If I miss page1959 can someone wish me a happy birth year ...ta
  • Options
    1956, Jimmy Seed is asked to resign ( sacked ) as Charlton .

Sad day for Charlton supporters, our greatest manager, also 1956 the great Sam Bartram retired
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    You missed a bit... 

Jimmy Seed is asked to resign ( sacked ) as Charlton-Aussies Liaison Officer. 
    Fair cop. I wasn’t very good at it. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Blimey, football’s a harsh business. Two days ago I read that he’s steered CAFC to FA Cup glory and today I learn that he’s been sacked! Would serve us right if ,today or tomorrow, news breaks of us being relegated.
    I think you're right.   I can see a long spell out of the top flight and even a relegation to Division 3.  But, at least we're safe at The Valley.  No-one can take that away from us.  Can they? 
    Actually Roland has thought of a brilliant way of saving money. Ground sharing in St Truiden. 
  • Options
    Indeed, but Roland said every club is expected to lose £15m; he didn't differentiate.

Millwall are a very good proxy for Charlton, although our revenue is likely to be higher than theirs in a like-for-like season. Both clubs perform very badly indeed in terms of commercial revenue, which is another key to understanding their financial position relative to the rest of the division. Charlton's declared commercial revenue was under £1.5m in every one of the last five years for which we have figures.

How on earth do Burton Albion have higher commercial revenue than Sheffield United?
  • Options
    @AFKABartram

Final point. Yeah, I've got an "agenda". It is to not just sit at my keyboard moaning about Duchatelet but to work with others to get him out, as soon as possible. If you have a superior alternative plan to smart well thought out activities in Belgium then, trust me I will drop my "agenda" in a heartbeat and get behind it in any practical way.
    Don't you think it's rather unnecessary to take such a shitty attitude with the person responsibile for building the biggest Charlton community, possiblly ever?
    Come on guys, lets all take a deep breath. We don't want this spilling over onto Makros carpark
  • Options
    Well this thread has got weird 
  • Options
    @AFKABartram

Final point. Yeah, I've got an "agenda". It is to not just sit at my keyboard moaning about Duchatelet but to work with others to get him out, as soon as possible. If you have a superior alternative plan to smart well thought out activities in Belgium then, trust me I will drop my "agenda" in a heartbeat and get behind it in any practical way.
    Don't you think it's rather unnecessary to take such a shitty attitude with the person responsibile for building the biggest Charlton community, possiblly ever?
    What, Henry?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!