Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Hex said:
    Agreed. He believes his view is absolutely rationale from the standpoint of a business model and the rest of the world has gone mad. He is probably right but anyone buying a football club should go into it expecting they will likely lose money unless they are in the Premier League.

The problem is, he wants out but appears to expect any potential buyer to pay for the ongoing errors made on his watch in terms of management rotations, poor player acquisitions, handling of outgoing player valuations and as he moved up the learning curve on English football economics. As has been said, he had the option to get out as soon as he realised the EFL had moved the goalposts as regards FFP. However, if he can keep the club on life support by breaking even, despite relegations back to League 1 or even 2, at least it isn’t costing him money.

Whilst I concede having a reasonable level of current operating costs to outline  to potential buyers is good, they will have their view on their appetite for annual losses over the near term. They are however more likely to be interested in a reasonable upfront purchase price and what might be considered reasonable for a Championship club is unlikely to be considered reasonable the further down the leagues the club goes.

Promotion back to the Championship was probably his best chance of extricating himself with a reasonable price to defray some of his investment and it looks like he is closing the window on that.

It may not make any difference in terms of changing his stubbornness but I think in the Fans Forum, CAST communications, interaction with the press etc there has to be continued emphasis on his quotes above and the fact that he has no footballing ambition for the club and that he is living in cloud cuckoo land if he is holding out for a price that covers his aggregate losses for the past 5 years. It would be good if any of the buyers who have walked away would reveal the exact price they had offered.
    I don't totally agree with this as it may be considered too commercially sensitive and may not be the real problem as a price seems to get agreed.  However, it would be interesting to know what he uses to increase the price.  Eg does he throw in a percentage of the sale price of any youngsters in the academy ?  
    Yes, commercially sensitive, with NDAs still Potentially binding if a deal not finally agreed. 
    This is the bit I don't understand.

You approach RD to buy the Club, part of the negoatiations is to agree a NDA.

You pull out of the deal due to the irrational behaviour of the seller, so surely the NDA becomes null and void. The seller cannot prevent you from telling the World about your approach, offer and reasons for withdrawing.

Does Mrs RD have to sign a NDA when they're discussing what to have for dinner tonight?
    Your guess is as good as mine. I was really just hypothesising that buyers may have been asked to sign an NDA that is binding regardless of whether or not a deal is concluded. You would think some snippets would leak but not really so far.
    Under an NDA there is normally a clause which states the buying party are legally obliged to keep the information they find out private for 2 years (some 1 year but 2 years is standard). 

Source - my job working in mergers & acquisitions. 

Also trust me I've joked to my partners constantly to try get us involved with the sale for the last 11 months (since I started) and they saw our Business Plan before Roland acquired the club and said there was some dodgy debt he'd stay a mile away from
    Makes perfect sense if you actively trying to market an asset and don’t want other potential bidders to be aware of any details of negotiations you have had with other parties.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    HarryLime said:
    @AFKABartram

Final point. Yeah, I've got an "agenda". It is to not just sit at my keyboard moaning about Duchatelet but to work with others to get him out, as soon as possible. If you have a superior alternative plan to smart well thought out activities in Belgium then, trust me I will drop my "agenda" in a heartbeat and get behind it in any practical way.
    Don't you think it's rather unnecessary to take such a shitty attitude with the person responsibile for building the biggest Charlton community, possiblly ever?
    Come on guys, lets all take a deep breath. We don't want this spilling over onto Makros carpark
    10 v 10. AFKA and his Top Boys against Prague and his.

Harry Lime in the middle saying, "come on fellas, we've all had a drink"!
    Afka has dome a fantastic job with this site, and it has played a role in many positive things. But surely people should be allowed to disagree with his view respectfully as Prague has done.
    I wouldn't call that respectfully.
  • Options
    I've soothed myself with the following dilemma to put a positive slide on things.

Which would you rather. And you can only have one. No Mish mashing

Roland goes. New owners in. Bowyer asked to leave before the ink has dried. They've got their man and have had this on the back burner for years?

Roland stays. Bowyer does to. He gets pretty much what he needs in additional loans and we crack on?
  • Options
    1958, Carry On Sergeant premiers, it is the first Carry On film.
  • Options
    I've soothed myself with the following dilemma to put a positive slide on things.

Which would you rather. And you can only have one. No Mish mashing

Roland goes. New owners in. Bowyer asked to leave before the ink has dried. They've got their man and have had this on the back burner for years?

Roland stays. Bowyer does to. He gets pretty much what he needs in additional loans and we crack on?
    Depends on the owners - with Roland we'll be stuck bouncing between league one and championship, with new owners we could solidify our position in the championship and possibly have a crack at the promised land.. But that's only if they are willing to spend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1958, Carry On Sergeant premiers, it is the first Carry On film.

Cant wait for Carry On Henry
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    HarryLime said:
    @AFKABartram

Final point. Yeah, I've got an "agenda". It is to not just sit at my keyboard moaning about Duchatelet but to work with others to get him out, as soon as possible. If you have a superior alternative plan to smart well thought out activities in Belgium then, trust me I will drop my "agenda" in a heartbeat and get behind it in any practical way.
    Don't you think it's rather unnecessary to take such a shitty attitude with the person responsibile for building the biggest Charlton community, possiblly ever?
    Come on guys, lets all take a deep breath. We don't want this spilling over onto Makros carpark

Afka has dome a fantastic job with this site, and it has played a role in many positive things. But surely people should be allowed to disagree with his view respectfully as Prague has done.
    What was disrespectful about it? Apart from disagreeing and saying why.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    HarryLime said:
    @AFKABartram

"not just sit at my keyboard moaning about "

"If you have a superior alternative plan to smart well thought out activities in Belgium "

The insinuations there, for a start.
  • Options
    I would like to contribute a haiku. The format is in the old style being 5-7-5 syllables.

As summer heat fades
    Hope builds for the true season 
    Trampled by the cunt

Probably a bit inelegant the last line tbf.

As summer heat fades
    hope builds for the true seaaon
    build our fire Addicks 

• Options
    In fairness, and this in no way whatsoever sticking up for the rat, purely from the playing side of things....Luton won the league and they cashed in on their main men and have only replaced with frees. We are not the only ones and off the pitch we are in by far a worse position to them!
  • Options
    I would like to contribute a haiku. The format is in the old style being 5-7-5 syllables.

As summer heat fades
    Hope builds for the true season 
    Trampled by the cunt

Probably a bit inelegant the last line tbf.

As summer heat fades
    hope builds for the true seaaon
    build our fire Addicks 

The season starts up 
    Thoughts turn to football again 
    And yet, he's still here

• Options
    Off_it said:
    HarryLime said:
    @AFKABartram

"If you have a superior alternative plan to smart well thought out activities in Belgium "

If you want to be touchy about it I suppose. I read that as a general position rather than a direct attack. Anyway, best leave it there. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    HarryLime said:
    @AFKABartram

The insinuation is "I am not just going to sit at my keyboard moaning about stuff, I am going to continue to do stuff" and "tell me if you have a better plan and I would be happy to work with you on that". 

That's pretty respectful in my view.  

In fact, it would be hard to imagine two more respectful posters on here than AFKA and Prague.  But maybe some people like to see it differently. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    1955 was a very good year for handsome, intelligent boys to be born. I hear that those born at the beginning of August are also now known for their virility.
    You're getting August and June muddled up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    What does Roland do when he's wrong? He finds someone or something else to blame. 

I wouldn't get too distracted by his claims around the championship's FFP rules being the problem

If that were the case, why weren't we bought when we were in League One?

Why did he let on that it would be easier for us to be bought when were in the Championship?

Why was the narrative that we'd be more attractive in the higher league? If, in fact, it makes us far less attractive? 

This is just the same circle of behaviour we've always seen. He doesn't believe he could possibly be the problem, the real problem must lie somewhere else. 

Unfortunately, this time, he raised a valid point about rules being a bit off, so the distraction is working a bit more than it normally would. But a distraction it still is.

If one accepts that Roland genuinely believed that being in division 1 is economically better than the Championship, why did he increase his asking price when we got promoted?

The logical thing to do would be to get rid asap. Even reduce the price to avoid the extra running costs.

What I cannot reconcile is how someone so obviously stupid got to make so much money.

I think we need to protest some how, but while we wait for anyone to think of something that will be effective, I am going to make a small gesture and get a ball rolling.

I have a season ticket, but I am boycotting the first home game unless we are sold. I will also boycott the first televised home game.

Probably all pointless, but it is what it is.
    Therein lies the problem as things stand with 10,000 already having given Duchatelet several million pounds in advance sales this season. I am afraid our next big protest opportunity will only come in the close season of 2020 when the appetite to renew will be considerably smaller after a year of struggle and humbling losses as we are outclassed this season due to our small and weak squad. If we could manage a serious season ticket boycott (we don't necessarily need to stop going altogether) I am convinced Duchatelet would take notice and have to consider cutting his losses and selling-up far more seriously than he has done to date.
    I am merely making a protest, it is not about the money for me - I have already spent it!
    Understood but it is all about money for Duchatelet. Yes he is very wealthy but he is desperate to avoid having to acknowledge a crushing loss which would represent a defeat to his reputation. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    HarryLime said:
    @AFKABartram

Ooh you’re such a stirrer 😉
  • Options
    sm said:
    What got RD out of Standard Liege?
    I think it was a long wheel base Transit van.

You mean the laundry van.
  • Options
    1:06PM edited 1:09PM
    Musing over our problem in the shower this morning & wondered whether there is any way we could uncover the "hidden debt" which some think may be the real reason that potential buyers walk away ( shaking their heads) once they have conducted due diligence. 

We know that the Rat was highly negligent in his haste to get his hands on a prime piece of London land. And as such, could barely control his excitement when shaking on the deal with the Spivs....

To uncover what he failed to find  & share it with the press ( and potential buyers if there are still any out there) would surely hurt him substantially both in the business world and as far as his ego is concerned.

What better way to embarrass him AND ensure that those potential buyers are cognisant of the true financial implications of purchasing our famous football club ?

( OOps ! Should have posted this on the Sale of Charlton thread!) 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Hex said:
    Agreed. He believes his view is absolutely rationale from the standpoint of a business model and the rest of the world has gone mad. He is probably right but anyone buying a football club should go into it expecting they will likely lose money unless they are in the Premier League.

The problem is, he wants out but appears to expect any potential buyer to pay for the ongoing errors made on his watch in terms of management rotations, poor player acquisitions, handling of outgoing player valuations and as he moved up the learning curve on English football economics. As has been said, he had the option to get out as soon as he realised the EFL had moved the goalposts as regards FFP. However, if he can keep the club on life support by breaking even, despite relegations back to League 1 or even 2, at least it isn’t costing him money.

Whilst I concede having a reasonable level of current operating costs to outline  to potential buyers is good, they will have their view on their appetite for annual losses over the near term. They are however more likely to be interested in a reasonable upfront purchase price and what might be considered reasonable for a Championship club is unlikely to be considered reasonable the further down the leagues the club goes.

Promotion back to the Championship was probably his best chance of extricating himself with a reasonable price to defray some of his investment and it looks like he is closing the window on that.

It may not make any difference in terms of changing his stubbornness but I think in the Fans Forum, CAST communications, interaction with the press etc there has to be continued emphasis on his quotes above and the fact that he has no footballing ambition for the club and that he is living in cloud cuckoo land if he is holding out for a price that covers his aggregate losses for the past 5 years. It would be good if any of the buyers who have walked away would reveal the exact price they had offered.
    I don't totally agree with this as it may be considered too commercially sensitive and may not be the real problem as a price seems to get agreed.  However, it would be interesting to know what he uses to increase the price.  Eg does he throw in a percentage of the sale price of any youngsters in the academy ?  
    Yes, commercially sensitive, with NDAs still Potentially binding if a deal not finally agreed. 
    This is the bit I don't understand.

You approach RD to buy the Club, part of the negoatiations is to agree a NDA.

You pull out of the deal due to the irrational behaviour of the seller, so surely the NDA becomes null and void. The seller cannot prevent you from telling the World about your approach, offer and reasons for withdrawing.

Does Mrs RD have to sign a NDA when they're discussing what to have for dinner tonight?
    Your guess is as good as mine. I was really just hypothesising that buyers may have been asked to sign an NDA that is binding regardless of whether or not a deal is concluded. You would think some snippets would leak but not really so far.
    Under an NDA there is normally a clause which states the buying party are legally obliged to keep the information they find out private for 2 years (some 1 year but 2 years is standard). 

Source - my job working in mergers & acquisitions. 

Also trust me I've joked to my partners constantly to try get us involved with the sale for the last 11 months (since I started) and they saw our Business Plan before Roland acquired the club and said there was some dodgy debt he'd stay a mile away from
    Debt that was exposed in the Jimenez v Khakshouri case.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/09/charlton-khakshouri-jimenez-cash-modern-football
  • Options
    Is there really “hidden debt” that nobody on here has managed to identity before ? If that’s the case and we really do owe a significant sum to person or persons unknown apart from the rat then we really could be completely screwed. We definitely need to get to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    In fairness, and this in no way whatsoever sticking up for the rat, purely from the playing side of things....Luton won the league and they cashed in on their main men and have only replaced with frees. We are not the only ones and off the pitch we are in by far a worse position to them!
    but we are not moving to a new stadium soon
  • Options
    According to a non Aussie source, anyone buying Charlton would be around £90m in the hole, if all debts, loans and cost of club & Valley etc included. Apparently there is interest to pay on the loans, but they don’t technically need to be repaid. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!