Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

Evening Standard reporting that Muir has insisted the takeover is not off.

Anyone able to share the full article?
    Muir still targeting Charlton takeover

Evening Standard - West End Final Extra15 Jun 2018

ANDREW MUIR still expects to complete a takeover of Charlton and a source close to the Australian insists the proposed deal has not collapsed.

Doubts were raised when Charlton confirmed yesterday that Lee Bowyer would continue in his role as caretaker manager.

With takeover talks dragging on, Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet has asked Bowyer to start planning for next season, suggesting he thinks a deal is not imminent.

Muir heads a consortium that has been in talks with Duchatelet for months.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/evening-standard-west-end-final-extra/20180615/283008285484046
    Sorry, I just think this is rehashed news...

No evidence that they've even spoken to Muir. Or even one of his representatives.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This is like waiting for a kettle to boil.
  • Options

ross1 said:

No timeline on Charlton takeover as Roland Duchatelet continues to operate monthly losses

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/942353860?-11197:833

"He said that Lee Bowyer is talking to potential signings and that Bowyer feels he needs four new players to have the makings of a challenging squad"

Fuck me that's ambitious. We just about had a challenging squad last season and off the top of my head we've already lost 8 of that squad (Amos, Dasilva, Konsa, Kashi, Jackson, Mavididi, Kaikai, Zyro), so how on earth can anyone say we only need 4 new players?
    Like with the Holmes sale, perhaps you could get 4 players using the wages of the departed - still way short though.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

ANDREW MUIR still expects to complete a takeover of Charlton and a source close to the Australian insists the proposed deal has not collapsed.

Doubts were raised when Charlton confirmed yesterday that Lee Bowyer would continue in his role as caretaker manager.

With takeover talks dragging on, Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet has asked Bowyer to start planning for next season, suggesting he thinks a deal is not imminent.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/evening-standard-west-end-final-extra/20180615/283008285484046

No evidence that they've even spoken to Muir. Or even one of his representatives.
    "a source close to" is everyday Journalist jargon for either the person themself or an authorised 'spokesperson'.

It is very unlikely that the Standard would have published this using those words without the 'source' being either Muir or a spokesperson on his behalf (possibly Gerard Murphy).
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

"a source close to" is everyday Journalist jargon for either the person themself or an authorised 'spokesperson'.

It is very unlikely that the Standard would have published this using those words without the 'source' being either Muir or a spokesperson on his behalf (possibly Gerard Murphy).
    Or a good way to cover up the source being Charlton Life.
  • Options

micks1950 said:

micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

but has Charlton Life said that Muir said that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

micks1950 said:

micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

Not really.

As I said "a source close to" is accepted journalist code for the source being the person named (or someone on their behalf).

If it had been anything else another common phrase like "it is understood" would probably have been used (but even that usually means that the source is regarded as reasonably reliable - rather than a rumour copied from a fans forum or other social media).

To me the short Standard piece indicates that (at yesterday evening at least) negotiations of some sort were still ongoing and possibly that a 'Non Disclosure Agreement' was still in place (hence the indirect attribution to Muir).
  • Options

micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

I can confirm that both the Standard and the SLP are talking directly to the Aussies.
    What is the point of these talks if they don't result in accurate journalistic coverage of what has been happening. Have they reported anything that we, on CL, have not already been made aware of by various ITK posters?
  • Options

micks1950 said:

Scoham said:

I can confirm that both the Standard and the SLP are talking directly to the Aussies.
    What is the point of these talks if they don't result in accurate journalistic coverage of what has been happening. Have they reported anything that we, on CL, have not already been made aware of by various ITK posters?
    By bringing it to the attention of other fans who don't use this forum and aren't privy to said ITK posters?
  • Options
    So, is it actually happening then ??
  • Options
    I’m stuck with the image of our ITK posters in the privy now. Thanks for that.
  • Options

I’m stuck with the image of our ITK posters in the privy now.

Together?
  • Options

Definitely Maybe.
  • Options

Definitely Maybe.
    So what's the story?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I’m tempted to use the C word for RD

the C word in question being Capricious (changing according to no discernible rules; unpredictable).
    If we look at just some of the superficial evidence then this may hold up as a theory behind the reason for the long-delayed take over.

Not so long after RD and Meire arrived at Charlton one of the many executive management errors perpetrated by RD was defended by Meire with the infamous phrase ‘Roland doesn’t do Failure’.
    This is the fundamental reason IMO why RD is taking so long over the take-over. We know, from his retreat from the footballing ownership side of STVV and his own recent statement that he is getting out of football (or words to that effect) that he wants out at Charlton.

However, whilst he had an exit strategy in place at STVV – he had other assets around the Stayen and he left them in the Belgian First Division – no such exit strategy existed at Charlton so we have seen the club lurch into this now perilous position.

This is because RD is conflicted – he wants out but doesn’t do failure remember so he must apportion blame to others for the current state of the club (Collapse of Fair Play rules, the stupidity of managers who will not listen to advice, the rejection of players and staff sent from Belgium, the fans of course – viewed as uneducated vinegar pissers – ex-employees with axes to grind, in fact anyone but the genius Roland Duchatelet a prophet unrecognised not only in his own country (see below) but now here as well. Didn’t he tell ROT that, unfettered, he would have taken Charlton to the Premier League?

There is a very significant analogy here. In Belgium RD founded his own political party, Vivant, in the mid 90s, which later merged with the Flemish Liberal Democrats (VLD) to become Open VLD. RD had a particular vision essentially based around tax-reform and basic living wages. No bad thing in principle maybe but in practice totally unworkable. So, instead of becoming the economic saviour of Belgium RD and his party VIVANT has dropped into political obscurity.
    But he just cannot accept the rejection and the whiff of failure.

3 Blokes will tell us how many days Roland Duchatelet has been at Charlton.
    Roland Duchatelet was the self-appointed leader of the VIVANT party in the 1990’s. He still is! How many days is that?

IMO, anyone dealing with this idiot will not only have to stump up funds over the odds but may well have to stoke his ego to such an extent that it would be embarrassing for any self-respecting businessman. Roland may simply like to hold onto power at Charlton in order to exercise it according to his capricious nature. Remember that incredible statement that came out of RDs mouth (perhaps via Meire) during the Varney approach – ‘we thought that he might have been making an inquiry about a billboard.’. Is that the response of a rationale businessman?

That illustrates the measure of the man. Vindictive, stubborn and unable to engage in a way which recognises the basic humanity of others. A sociopath with wealth - a very nasty combination and no surprise that those attempting to negotiate with this man are finding the whole business so incredibly frustrating.

He is treating not only Charlton supporters with contempt but most probably everyone else within the Charlton orbit including perhaps even those looking to buy him out.

I'm also tempted to use the C word for RD but it doesn't contain as many letters as CJ1947s example
  • Options

When it's on the OS
  • Options

I’m tempted to use the C word for RD

the C word in question being Capricious (changing according to no discernible rules; unpredictable).
    If we look at just some of the superficial evidence then this may hold up as a theory behind the reason for the long-delayed take over.

Not so long after RD and Meire arrived at Charlton one of the many executive management errors perpetrated by RD was defended by Meire with the infamous phrase ‘Roland doesn’t do Failure’.
    This is the fundamental reason IMO why RD is taking so long over the take-over. We know, from his retreat from the footballing ownership side of STVV and his own recent statement that he is getting out of football (or words to that effect) that he wants out at Charlton.

However, whilst he had an exit strategy in place at STVV – he had other assets around the Stayen and he left them in the Belgian First Division – no such exit strategy existed at Charlton so we have seen the club lurch into this now perilous position.

This is because RD is conflicted – he wants out but doesn’t do failure remember so he must apportion blame to others for the current state of the club (Collapse of Fair Play rules, the stupidity of managers who will not listen to advice, the rejection of players and staff sent from Belgium, the fans of course – viewed as uneducated vinegar pissers – ex-employees with axes to grind, in fact anyone but the genius Roland Duchatelet a prophet unrecognised not only in his own country (see below) but now here as well. Didn’t he tell ROT that, unfettered, he would have taken Charlton to the Premier League?

There is a very significant analogy here. In Belgium RD founded his own political party, Vivant, in the mid 90s, which later merged with the Flemish Liberal Democrats (VLD) to become Open VLD. RD had a particular vision essentially based around tax-reform and basic living wages. No bad thing in principle maybe but in practice totally unworkable. So, instead of becoming the economic saviour of Belgium RD and his party VIVANT has dropped into political obscurity.
    But he just cannot accept the rejection and the whiff of failure.

3 Blokes will tell us how many days Roland Duchatelet has been at Charlton.
    Roland Duchatelet was the self-appointed leader of the VIVANT party in the 1990’s. He still is! How many days is that?

IMO, anyone dealing with this idiot will not only have to stump up funds over the odds but may well have to stoke his ego to such an extent that it would be embarrassing for any self-respecting businessman. Roland may simply like to hold onto power at Charlton in order to exercise it according to his capricious nature. Remember that incredible statement that came out of RDs mouth (perhaps via Meire) during the Varney approach – ‘we thought that he might have been making an inquiry about a billboard.’. Is that the response of a rationale businessman?

That illustrates the measure of the man. Vindictive, stubborn and unable to engage in a way which recognises the basic humanity of others. A sociopath with wealth - a very nasty combination and no surprise that those attempting to negotiate with this man are finding the whole business so incredibly frustrating.

He is treating not only Charlton supporters with contempt but most probably everyone else within the Charlton orbit including perhaps even those looking to buy him out.

I'm also tempted to use the C word for RD but it doesn't contain as many letters as CJ1947s example
    Contempt?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

This is like waiting for a kettle to boil.

Sadly it's plugged in but nobody remembered to switch it on
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Definitely Maybe.
    So what's the story?
    I'm still tired at the moment so I can't answer yet.

Need a little time to wake up.
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Definitely Maybe.
    So what's the story?

Are you chained to the mirror?
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Definitely Maybe.
    So what's the story?

And the razor blade ?
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Definitely Maybe.
    So what's the story?

And the razor blade ?
    I am just going to roll with it
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Definitely Maybe.
    So what's the story?

If only the take over could be here now
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!