Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bali......

Comments

• Options
    going to bali in october as part of a trip down under for a friend's wedding. Hoping to have a kind of honeymoon experience with my relatively new wife. Any advice?
  • Options
    We went earlier this year and it was amazing. The best place I've ever been. 

We hired a car and spent a few days in each place, before driving to the next one, which is easily done as it's not a huge island.

Definitely recommend a few days in Sannur, and also Ubud, but it's an interesting enough place you can drive a few hours and you experience something totally different.

I'd also do a boat trip from Sannur across to Nusa Penida. I can recommend a company. But you'll need sea legs as it can get a little choppy. 

• Options
    I have just booked to go next summer, can't wait! Looks stunning.
  • Options
    I’m here at the moment, stayed a week in Nusa Dua, this part is good for water sports and some upmarket hotels. We stayed at the Grand mirage there and 5 nights at the Hard Rock here in Kuta.

We’ve got 2 young kids aged 6 and 8 so obviously it’s factored around them but depending on your itinerary, there’s lots of thing to do for not much cost.
    We’ve spent all day today at waterbom water park in Kuta today with loads of amazing slides and pools. I think we’ve spent about £100 on Park entry, drinks all day and lunch for 4. Also taxis each way we’re about £1.50

Kuta is the place to be for a drunken night out, (I’ve not had too many opportunities to sample it yet 😉)
    Legian and Seminyak are a bit more upmarket. Seminyak has a lot of exclusive beach clubs with all day drinking and pools and such. Entry is free to all.

Ubud is bit more for the culture, as well as a few more of the places to the north of the island. There are safari’s, a zoo and monkey excursions here. I’m not sure how ethically they are run though.

This island is the Aussies version of going to Ibiza or one of our package holidays, so there’s always loads of them here.
    streets around Kuta are full of market stalls selling Knock off versions of everything from trainers to handbags. You have to barter them down though from whatever they quote you.

It’s a good holiday place with some amazing scenery and can be done for not too much £ once here.

If you want any other assistance, my sister in law is Balinese, so I’ll ask her for any advice.
  • Options
    yeah looking for more cultural stuff and maybe more romantic things than (strenuous) activities or partying. 
  • Options

We hired a car and spent a few days in each place, before driving to the next one, which is easily done as it's not a huge island.

Definitely recommend a few days in Sannur, and also Ubud, but it's an interesting enough place you can drive a few hours and you experience something totally different.

I'd also do a boat trip from Sannur across to Nusa Penida. I can recommend a company. But you'll need sea legs as it can get a little choppy. 

Was in Sanur back in 1992, probably changed a bit since then but the food was fantastic. Since then been back to Bali twice staying in Seminyak and Ubud and then on our 3rd visit we stayed in Kuta. It's along way to go but on our 2nd and 3rd visits there we were living in Singapore (2hr 30min flight).
    The reason we went the first time was that in 1990 we went into an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam the food was that good we decided we would go to Indonesia one day....2 years later we went to Bali.
  • Options
    If you haven’t arranged transfers/tours etc drop me a DM I’ve an excellent driver who looked after us when we visited. 
  • Options

Hired a small jeep the first time we went, driving was fairly easy there once we got north of Denpasar.
  • Options
    Great place, make sure you do a tour of the island and see Monkey Forrest and Ubud if you're staying in Kuta Beach. Can hire a driver for the day very cheaply.

Also Bintang tastes superb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yeah looking for more cultural stuff and maybe more romantic things than (strenuous) activities or partying. 
    Definitely go to Bridges if you go to Ubud - unreal food in a beautiful setting. 
  • Options
    Scratch that - just googled it and it’s permanently closed!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I’m here at the moment, stayed a week in Nusa Dua, this part is good for water sports and some upmarket hotels. We stayed at the Grand mirage there and 5 nights at the Hard Rock here in Kuta.

We’ve got 2 young kids aged 6 and 8 so obviously it’s factored around them but depending on your itinerary, there’s lots of thing to do for not much cost.
    We’ve spent all day today at waterbom water park in Kuta today with loads of amazing slides and pools. I think we’ve spent about £100 on Park entry, drinks all day and lunch for 4. Also taxis each way we’re about £1.50

Kuta is the place to be for a drunken night out, (I’ve not had too many opportunities to sample it yet 😉)
    Legian and Seminyak are a bit more upmarket. Seminyak has a lot of exclusive beach clubs with all day drinking and pools and such. Entry is free to all.

Ubud is bit more for the culture, as well as a few more of the places to the north of the island. There are safari’s, a zoo and monkey excursions here. I’m not sure how ethically they are run though.

This island is the Aussies version of going to Ibiza or one of our package holidays, so there’s always loads of them here.
    streets around Kuta are full of market stalls selling Knock off versions of everything from trainers to handbags. You have to barter them down though from whatever they quote you.

It’s a good holiday place with some amazing scenery and can be done for not too much £ once here.

If you want any other assistance, my sister in law is Balinese, so I’ll ask her for any advice.
    We stayed at the Grand we had the top floor suite, treated my wife like a goddess for ten days, loved the place.
    Got 3 Rolexes for a tenner, a pair of Nike shorts for 3 quid at the little market in the hotel grounds. 😂
    I did get the hump when I overheard an American bartering a roadside vendor for an orange for one rupiah (7p at the time) our driver told us what was going on, so I bought the box gave the guy $50 and went back to our car the whining American got in his car and left so we asked our driver to return the oranges. Apparently $50 equalled around two months salary but feck did it wind me up, treating people like shit because you think you can. 

Had a similar thing happened to us in Cusco regarding finger puppets.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    arny23394 said:
    Definitely go to Bridges if you go to Ubud - unreal food in a beautiful setting. 
    We did a coffee plantation, my wife was encouraged to have a go at roasting the coffee beans in this wok like pan over an open fire, she took the ladle from the woman who proceeded take it back and push it into her right hand, she couldn’t get her head around my wife being a left hander, if you get the chance the temples are worth a visit although there a few must do’s before going in, covering your legs for example, but there are sarongs available for about 50p. Rice fields have normally got a restaurant strapped to them which is handy for some scoff and a cool beer, ourselves and our driver ate for £6 it’s customary to buy your drivers lunch, don’t try to over tip they tend to return anything over what they consider excessive. 
    Wood carving if you get the chance to have a watch, mind you I don’t recommend if you’ve a nervous disposition as hold a beautiful carving between their feet while swinging mallet type hammer at a razor sharp chisel while smiling at you. 
  • Options
    Have an excellent driver and tour guide if you need it, he is brilliant just tell him where you want to go and he will build an intinery. $60 US for the day or so :)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

We stayed at the Grand we had the top floor suite, treated my wife like a goddess for ten days, loved the place.
    Got 3 Rolexes for a tenner, a pair of Nike shorts for 3 quid at the little market in the hotel grounds. 😂
    I did get the hump when I overheard an American bartering a roadside vendor for an orange for one rupiah (7p at the time) our driver told us what was going on, so I bought the box gave the guy $50 and went back to our car the whining American got in his car and left so we asked our driver to return the oranges. Apparently $50 equalled around two months salary but feck did it wind me up, treating people like shit because you think you can. 

I agree with you there, especially something like the fruit, or the corn that is cooked on the street is so sweet. 

Having our sister in law from Bali helps in this instance and she advises a rough price to pay but, what I find though is the moody knock offs that don’t last too long! We bought our daughter some crocs from the street sellers, $25 we were quoted, she  advised to barter it down to $10 or $15 aud, bought the crocs and the straps fell off within a week!

I don’t know what Crocs cost for an 8 year old but they are also aware that westerners have a load of money. 

You don’t take the piss but it’s also they way these things are done in my experience, 

They give you a price, you say no and they ask you. The bartering begins for moody gear.

God knows how many Prada handbags my missus has had that the zips or straps fell off within a week of getting home.

There is also the Ralph Lauren shops on every street that are all moody due to some litigation between Ralph Lauren and the Indonesian government.

We all work hard for our dough as do they, but with 2 daughters, every penny counts 😉

• Options
    T_C_E said:

Also to add, we had a brilliant 7 days also at the grand mirage, we were in the family part of the hotel. We also stayed there 4 years ago but they’ve done a lot of work during the pandemic and have put in new pools and restaurants.

The little market along the beachfront is still there. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

I was in Cusco 2 days ago, amazing place but bring altitude sickness tablets!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Yes if flying up from Lima, we came up overland from Chile & Bolivia so you 'go up' at a steady pace so altitude sickness is less of a problem, did you do the Inca Trail?
  • Options
    Tanah Lot for sunset is well worth doing though some clouds somewhat spoilt it when we went there....but I've seen some photos when it's clear and they were pretty spectacular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:

Yes if flying up from Lima, we came up overland from Chile & Bolivia so you 'go up' at a steady pace so altitude sickness is less of a problem, did you do the Inca Trail?
    We did Santiago, Lima and Cusco; landed this morning! Didn't do Machu Pinchu due to a tour letting us down. Did the sacred Valley tour which was superb. 
  • Options
    I was there 25 years ago, and really didn't like it. The weather was poor (lots of heavy thunder storms that spoilt the sunset at Tanah Lot, and often flooded the hotel restaurant!), and we didn't like the money changers who all tried to rip you off. I cannot remember the exchange rates, but it was something like 4,000 per dollar, or 6k per pound, so you ended up with notes worth millions.  The scam was that they set the exchange rates so that you would end up with just over a million for 100 bucks/quid.  They would count out and then give you a million notes to confirm, then ask for them back while they counted out the extra bit, and while they did this a few (and in some cases lots!) of notes would drop to the floor. It was so obvious (one guy blamed it on the wind!) that it became a running joke. So many tourists failed to spot it though, which I didn't like. I also failed to be impressed by the hawkers following you until they got a sale, some very aggressively. I did see one bloke being chased down the street with a guy trying to sell him a chess set and we did see (probably in jest) a baby being offered for a dollar!!!! Maybe it's better now?

That said, it is a beautiful place, and we had lots of decent meals (one at Four Seasons resonates with us still!).
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I was there 25 years ago, and really didn't like it. The weather was poor (lots of heavy thunder storms that spoilt the sunset at Tanah Lot, and often flooded the hotel restaurant!), and we didn't like the money changers who all tried to rip you off. I cannot remember the exchange rates, but it was something like 4,000 per dollar, or 6k per pound, so you ended up with notes worth millions.  The scam was that they set the exchange rates so that you would end up with just over a million for 100 bucks/quid.  They would count out and then give you a million notes to confirm, then ask for them back while they counted out the extra bit, and while they did this a few (and in some cases lots!) of notes would drop to the floor. It was so obvious (one guy blamed it on the wind!) that it became a running joke. So many tourists failed to spot it though, which I didn't like. I also failed to be impressed by the hawkers following you until they got a sale, some very aggressively. I did see one bloke being chased down the street with a guy trying to sell him a chess set and we did see (probably in jest) a baby being offered for a dollar!!!! Maybe it's better now?

That said, it is a beautiful place, and we had lots of decent meals (one at Four Seasons resonates with us still!).
    Some of the Hawkers could be a bit of a pain at times but once they got to know our faces they became less of a problem.
  • Options
    I lived and worked in Jakarta in the mid-90s so Bali was only a short flight for us. With a young family the hotels and beaches around Nusa Dua were always good for us. I always avoided Kuta like the plague. Back then it was really tacky.

Last time I visited Bali about 10 years ago we also stayed in Ubud at the Four Seasons. Unfortunately I forgot the cardinal rule and ate a salad and was laid up for about 4 days. When it came to us leaving I think the hotel felt so guilty that they laid on a complimentary car and had someone at the airport to help expedite us through check in and security.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Take a look at West Bali National Park and Menjangan Island. The 4-hour drive from the airport and beach areas of Canggu and Seminyak, puts most people off, but personally I think it’s the best part of Bali. Been arranging trips to Indonesia for clients for nearly a decade, and almost every person who returns says it was the highlight. 

Sanur is likely more for you in terms of any beach time (as Canggu and Seminyak is the main place for beach clubs and a louder nightlife), some fantastic local restaurants right on the beach. So long as you don’t mind a 8-10 minute walk to the beach, check out The Pavilions in Sanur for your hotel, it’s perfect for honeymoons with some of the best priced pool villas on the island. 

It is touristy, but heading to the Uluwatu Temple, one evening for sunset, where there’s a traditional dance performed at the temple which is on the edge of a cliff. Great to see the local performers and the view out to sea is spectacular. 
  • Options
    My missus just reminded me about the mopeds, how many people do they get on mopeds, whole families on board and not a single **** is given. Bikes loaded with so much stuff you couldn’t see the rider once it had passed you. The most potentially frightening was the bike we saw delivering propane bottles, we counted 8 purposely made cages attached to this bike complete with bottles rider happily listening to music as he sat in traffic 😂
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Ha ha. Your be drawing a pension when your kids become teenagers :-😊
    hope you are well mate

as for crooked, you seem to have a short memory of working with CL and your times at LE 😊
  • Options
    You are all very easily pleased. 

I’ve been on bail a few times and thought it was shit. 

Each to their own I suppose. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    My missus just reminded me about the mopeds, how many people do they get on mopeds, whole families on board and not a single **** is given. Bikes loaded with so much stuff you couldn’t see the rider once it had passed you. The most potentially frightening was the bike we saw delivering propane bottles, we counted 8 purposely made cages attached to this bike complete with bottles rider happily listening to music as he sat in traffic 😂
    I remember being shocked seeing this when we got a cab from the airport to the centre of Bangkok when we travelled the far east in 1990. I’d only ever been to Spain and France and never seen anything like it. Whole families on one moped.