Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Swindon 30.4.17 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Swindon were absolutely awful, unbelievably casual - an insult to the fans who travelled - so few shits given between them. Despite rarely exceeding walking pace, we looked generally good - especially Holmes - but I think most Sunday league teams would have looked decent against that. Could have scored 5 or 6 in the first half alone if we'd been a bit sharper. Glad Jackson got his standing ovation, but think he could have been given ten minutes more to look for his goal!
  • Options
    Not much to say about the match - could (and should) have been 6-3. Shame the season had to end in a way as we were starting to pay some (half) decent football at times. Not sure about some posts on here about Holmes leaving......where to exactly ?? He signed a 3 or 4 year deal last season & so we would have to get a decent bid in to let hem go (£500k +) but then again with KM in charge I suppose anything is possible.......but in any case I cant see a Championship club coming in for him & no point him going to another League 1 club so I'm 100% sure he'll be here next season. As for the rest o the regulars:

Deffo like to sign Da Silva but I'm sure a Championship side will be in for him - don't think he is quite Premier league standard & definitely not going to ever play for Chelski.

Rudd will sign for a championship side & not that bothered as although he is a good keeper too many shots bounce off his chest & back into play - Phillips should be our No 1 next season but I assume KR is looking elsewhere.

Byrne can go back to Wigan. An okay player - better going back than defending & gahs too many lapses in concentration to be a regular.

Aribo should be in the starting 11 & Konsa should be centre half & not in midfield.

JFK & Crofts are ok but still think we could sign better.

Pearce & Bauer should be out first choice centre halves but can see Bauer leaving in the summer along with Tex.

Big Mac is a good hold up man but we need to sign a couple of decent strikers to play alongside him. I doubt we'll ever see Vetokele again & TWWW needs fresh pastures.....the Outer Hebrides is nice I hear. Ajose needs another season as I don't think he was given a decent chance but I wouldnt be sad to see Novak leave.
  • Options

Kr will be happy 5 games unbeaten. Just a day catching up with me mates and arranging close season beers.

I heard this. Reportedly he had to get out and walk!
  • Options

Anyone else think their number 11 Brophy stood out in a very poor side ?

I was quite impressed at first but then noticed that despite his good ball skills he got no penetration.
    Doctors for him...
  • Options

So I've just got home and thought I'd share my views from the start of the day till the end...

Arrived at half 10 to join in with the protesting, overall the numbers were big, but the direction and leadership of it weren't very apparent. I only found out after going inside that there was a protest at the West Stand Car Park entrance, the majority were behind the West Stand but it didn't feel like it had much momentum. That being said, the folk at the entrance definitely caused chaos in seeing the resulting cars all parking along Floyd Road

Pre kick off was antagonising, the screen showing warning signs about throwing things on the pitch then PA announcements asking all customers (yes they called us fans customers, again) to not throw things on the pitch just provoked everyone in the ground.

The disruption before kick off wasn't as impacting as previously but it set the scene for the day. The Valley felt like a battlezone littered with balloons and leaflets, can't say I admire whoever threw a kebab from the North stand though. Considering I didn't get a chance to eat it looked so tempting ha. The game itself I don't really remember much if I'm honest, Holmes was just absolute class, how we're going to keep him in the summer is anyone's guess but the guy's touch and movement is insane. There was one moment where he kept the ball in play that almost got a standing ovation from the crowd, it was THAT good. I want to say I'm gutted JJ didn't get to score, he certainly came close and the standing ovation was the least he deserved today. I'm glad there was a decent crowd today because the atmosphere certainly showed the appreciation.

End of the match, well, we have another star steward who grabbed the limelight for being overly agressive. I filmed it all on Periscope, but this one steward was lashing out with her arms at anyone who was running past, so much so a dad who ran on with his kid which isn't the smartest thing to do admittedly, had her chasing him down and grabbing/hitting the guy. She quickly got pulled back by other stewards and what looked like the mother of all bollockings from whoever was in charge before being dispatched. I don't know if anything happened in the directors box but it seemed like there was a fair amount of protesters there along with banners, can someone add to this?

Apologies for the long read, in truth it wasn't really a day to remember anytime soon. But one thing's for sure, it's without doubt the majority in favour of getting Roland out, it's been a while since I've heard the Valley sing that loud!

Great analysis, thanks for summarising the day for those that couldn't make it. I live in Manchester so really aprreciate posts like this
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Took my 11 yr old son today. He loved it almost as much as the Middlesbrough match. The atmosphere is sooooo much better when there's a protest going on. Without one this would have been a damp squib of a match I expect.

Really hope it's not Ricky Holmes' last match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Blimey Cants, bet you get a bundle of trim back to your place?

Or... do you call your old chap Roland, and it's a reminder to pull out?
  • Options

Haha my girlfriend is in Switzerland for 5 months so I don't have that problem! :p

She doesn't really get it though!
  • Options

Got a new banner today to add to protest corner in my Uni house!

Got protest memorabilia from every protest since the 2% protest back 5 managers ago.

Everything except a pig a beech ball a taxi and a stress ball. They were all thrown onto the pitch!

Surely @Henry Irving will be knocking on your door when the 'How We Got Them Out' section opens up at the museum?
  • Options
    Jesus, watching the Swindon defending in those highlights made me really depressed. Shocked we didn't win by about 50
  • Options

Got a new banner today to add to protest corner in my Uni house!

Got protest memorabilia from every protest since the 2% protest back 5 managers ago.

Everything except a pig a beach ball a taxi and a stress ball. They were all thrown onto the pitch!

Surely @Henry Irving will be knocking on your door when the 'How We Got Them Out' section opens up at the museum?
    He's welcome to them. I'm not sure it's that unique though. I'm sure she there's plenty of stuff floating around...
  • Options

Roland fail is a bit of a letdown if that was the case!
  • Options
    Three home matches this season, three clean sheets.

Swindon were beyond woeful. Could have easily been 7 or 8. Atmosphere was brilliant even in the deepest parts of the west stand.

Enjoyable match. I doubt there will be more than 4 of those players, starting on the first game of the new season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

... also heard a couple of potential signings were sitting in the stand watching - apparently Robinson confirmed this?

Did see Kevin Lisbie sat back there...
  • Options
    Anyone know who the 7-8 blokes in the west lowerby the tunnel, all dressed in blue shirts and dickie bows were?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Anyone know who the 7-8 blokes in the west lowerby the tunnel, all dressed in blue shirts and dickie bows were?

German Addicks I believe. They were pretty funny! Some odd chants coming from them and they had a bit of a dance on the pitch!
  • Options

DA9 said:

German Addicks I believe. They were pretty funny! Some odd chants coming from them and they had a bit of a dance on the pitch!
    Hope you made them feel at home by sharing your Werthers with them.
  • Options
    It seemed churlish to announce Jackson as runner-up Player of the Year to the crowd before the game. Perhaps better left unsaid. As team captain, he should expect nothing less than to lead from the front; the award of runner-up was damning with faint praise.

Interesting that despite the popular vote, Jackson is a lowly third-from-bottom in the fans' Statbank performance ratings for the season, ahead only of Page and Hanlan, and level with Novak.