Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keith Peacock

Comments

• Options

First saw him play when he was a boy being nurtured by Eddie Firmani .. the epitome of a one club loyalist as a player .. we'll forgive him his time managing the Kent small fry and working for his friend St Llewellyn at the Hammers

He predates Curbs at West Ham, as he was actually brought there by Pardew!
    so he'd left before Curbs arrived there ?
  • Options
    Was in the first team I watched at The Valley, very good player.
    Always used to acknowledge us lot outside the Red Barn, we met there at 09.30 before our Sunday league games, he would often be strolling past with his Sunday papers - lovely fella
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Keith was normally a left winger and wore the 11 shirt.
    Shirts were always numbered positionally in those days and not squad numbered.

Even as a winger, he'd have little runs of scoring goals ....... for example, can still see in my minds eye (against top of the table QPR in1968), Peacock picking up a killer pass and on the run firing a terrific injury time equaliser 3-3.

Next game, away to Plymouth Argyle he notched 2 in a runaway 4-1 win.
    The week after, he scored 2 more as we impressively beat Huddersfield Town 4-2 at The Valley.

Five goals in 3 games from a winger is not too shabby!

In his last season or two, by then in his 30s and losing acceleration, he was switched to an attacking central midfield role - where his excellent touch on the ball, passing range and vision provided scheming and creativity behind the 2 strikers.

Legend.

• Options
    Remember getting his autograph outside the main (West) stand, when I must have been around 10 or 11, so he would have been 20-21. He was quite a bit taller than me. Although I grew to be 6'4" I still have that vision of looking up to him! Great player and servant to the club.
  • Options
    A leg end in his own lunchtime.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

From "nippy winger" to midfield dynamo, I was lucky enough to enjoy his whole Charlton playing career. During one of Keith's starring performances a friend once turned to me and said only half jokingly " if he was a foot taller he'd be Cruyff". Also a key part of Curbs management team. And nobody entered the field of play like he did. Happy birthday Keith

This! I used to LOVE that. Mesmerised. He never, ever, ever failed to deilver his pre-match coup de grace.

Now, all we need is someone who can do that at the start and the tunnel jump at the end!
    When did he start the keepy uppy as he ran on the pitch ? Presumably it's something he started somewhere down the line rather than as a 17 year old making his debut ? Think Eddie Firmani was a bit of a ball juggler, maybe Keith picked it up from Eddie ?
  • Options
    Didn't realize until now his birthday is one day before mine. ( yes its to late to send me a card now! ) Although i am 1 year younger.

Met him twice, a real gentleman, always has time for people.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Sir Keith
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A true gent, he must hate working with these jokers and see what there doing to the club.

In fairness to him he doesn't answer any questions about them.
    He has a way of swerving any questions without committing himself.
    Very wise I say
  • Options
    probably me did the elbowing.Thankfully you dont know where I live
  • Options

When I was a kiddie back in the 60's, he used to come down to my school and give us an hours coaching. My first football hero who I have had the pleasure of meeting many times over the years, absolute legend in my eyes.

What school was that?
  • Options
    His dad was from Newcastle and had high standards. Lovely guy was Tom, as was his wife.

Keith always tried to keep the ball off the ground until he hit the penalty area and then finish. Not at some poncey pace either. If he made it he thought he was in for a good game. He got there most games!

Moved into midfield as he got older. One great comment on the ' big match' with Brian Moore. He asked Keith how he could put in such a great performance at his age? He said " I know all the short cuts".
  • Options

timken said:

I was playing for a football club called Dolphin Athlectic in around 1968 when I was 11.Kieth Peacock was the guest of honor at our end of season "do" which took place at the Lord Kitchener pub in wickham lane in welling.We all queued up for his autograph and some of us only just got his initials on our autograph book.I went up and asked him why and he said "because you didnt say please".I apologised and he gave me a proper autograph.A real "old school" approach.Looking back I think that taught me to say "please" more than any teacher or my parents telling me.

I played against them, they were a dirty side. In one game I got elbowed in the face on porpoise.
    Boooooom tish!
  • Options
    My memory of Keith was that he did everything on the pitch; took the free kicks, throw-ins and scored goals. If he could have he would have taken the goal kicks too! Happy Birthday Mr Charlton! Perhaps one day the East/West Stand or even the Cupboard End will be named after you. I hope so.
  • Options
    Why, he is getting paid.
    Working for a regime that has ruined our club.
  • Options
    I guess Keith Peacock has seen owners come and owners go but he has been here longer.

Sometimes you can't be as vocal as you might like for fear of ruining everything you have spent so many years delivering.
  • Options
    And sometimes you have to be prepared to throw that away because otherwise all your previous efforts will be burnt in front of your face.

Both are pretty extreme
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welly said:

Why, he is getting paid.
    Working for a regime that has ruined our club.

What's his job at the moment?
  • Options
    KP is my mums neighbour. Great guy. As is Gavin.
  • Options
    Saw Keith in the mid 1990's coming out of the X ray dept with his wife when i worked at Joyce Green Hospital
    Took time out to talk about football and Charlton
    Great fella and my fav player at the time
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

When I was a kiddie back in the 60's, he used to come down to my school and give us an hours coaching. My first football hero who I have had the pleasure of meeting many times over the years, absolute legend in my eyes.

What school was that?
    Alexander McLeod, abbey wood @Redrobo.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

What school was that?
    He coached at De Lucy in Abbey Wood too, my school but as a girl didn't mean that much until my first game when I was twelve and recognized him as "the bloke from school"
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Once at a coaching session at The Valley he said to me "you've got to do better than that"

What he didn't realise was that the ball bobbled.

I've never forgiven him.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

What school was that?
    He coached at De Lucy in Abbey Wood too, my school but as a girl didn't mean that much until my first game when I was twelve and recognized him as "the bloke from school"
    Yay, I'm ex De Lucy too :smile:
    No coaching from Keith though, he'd only debuted in the Charlton first team a couple of years previously!

Ps autocorrect just tried to change my first line to I'm excited desperate Lucy. Lol
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Redrobo said:

What school was that?
    No coaching from Keith though, he'd only debuted in the Charlton first team a couple of years previously!

Ps autocorrect just tried to change my first line to I'm excited desperate Lucy. Lol
    When were you there? I believe he first joined Charlton in 1962, though I did not go until 1970.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

What school was that?

When were you there? I believe he first joined Charlton in 1962, though I did not go until 1970.
    Joined De Lucy infants in 1959 and left De Lucy Primary for Abbey Wood Comp in summer 1965
  • Options
    I was later, joined the infants in 1963 and left Juniors in 1969. Am sure it was Keith who did one session when I must have been around eight or nine, but as I said was not into football then so may be mistaken. He was small and dark like Keith, and played for Charlton though.