Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brian Cassey - photographer

Turned the radio on in the middle of the night last night as the dog was playing up. On BBC 5 Live (Through The Night) they had a long interview with this guy who is based in Cairns, Australia. He has won awards and has an exhibition(s) on. Half way through he said he was born in Lewisham and is a big Charlton Athletic fan. Apparently 2 pictures in the exhibition are ones he took some time ago of Charlton matches. He said he was upset of our current situation and when the interviewer asked why he appeared to get so emotional he could not get his words out.

Only caught part of the interview. Some Members may know him. A link to his site is below with a couple of Charlton shots under the "sports" tab.

http://www.briancasseyphotographer.com/photographs/sport/

Comments

• Options
    know him very well , a proper addicks fan.
  • Options
    I don't recognise the other Charlton player standing up, although it's certainly form my era.
  • Options

I don't recognise the other Charlton player standing up, although it's certainly form my era.

Paul Davies, brother of Ron Davies, one-time Southampton centre forward
  • Options
    Think that the other player is Paul Davies.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Brian was at The Valley recently. I didn't recognise him and he had to prompt me, which was unfortunate because he was very hospitable when we visited Cairns 20 years ago. I guess he must have been on Glynne Jones's mailing list at the time, as that is how we would have made contact.
  • Options

one of his pictures - King Arthur Horsfield. I must have been up there on the East terrace.

http://www.briancasseyphotographer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sport22.jpg

Great shot of the East terrace. Good few gents in ties among the crowd too.

I heard the interview. I thought Rod Sharp did very well to notice Brian's emotional response at one point and try to draw him out on it. The account of people living in cages in Hong Kong was poignant too.
  • Options
    The other picture is Ray Treacy scoring at Orient, great picture too. Lurking behind Ray is Paul Went but who's the other Charlton player in the shot ?
  • Options
    Just had another look I think it may be Alan Campbell
  • Options
    I remember Brian well from the early 70's as I used to stand to the right (looking out to the pitch) of the goal at what's now the Jimmy Seed sand and his position was usually just in front. He used to give away a few of those glossy pictures that looked like they'd just been developed to us kids down the front and I'm sure of I had one of Barry Endean scoring against Watford. Nice fellow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McCartney said:

I remember Brian well from the early 70's as I used to stand to the right (looking out to the pitch) of the goal at what's now the Jimmy Seed sand and his position was usually just in front. He used to give away a few of those glossy pictures that looked like they'd just been developed to us kids down the front and I'm sure of I had one of Barry Endean scoring against Watford. Nice fellow.

That was the only goal he scored for us wasn't it ?
  • Options
    I'm using an Apple iPad and I am unable to scroll across as far as the Charlton shots.....just keeps scrolling/bouncing back as soon as I take my finger off the screen.
    Anyone know why?
  • Options

The other picture is Ray Treacy scoring at Orient, great picture too. Lurking behind Ray is Paul Went but who's the other Charlton player in the shot ?

Looks like big Dave Shipperley to me

• Options

Not AC as he had already been transferred to Birmingham City when the photo was taken in 1971

• Options

Not AC as he had already been transferred to Birmingham City when the photo was taken in 1971

Anyone post a link for the photo.....there's a good chance I'll know who it is.
  • Options
    SoundAs.......don't think you can use the scrolll across on iPad......if you click on each picture it will take you to the next one.......slow but you'll get there.
    I'm pretty sure that it is Dave Shipperley.
  • Options
    Tried that mate but only allows me to view the shots that show up to the edge of the screen and not go beyond.
    Can you send me a link for that actual photo?
  • Options
    Ship
  • Options
    Thanks No1......yes that's Big Ship for sure.
    Sad to think that Paul and Ray have both passed away......two very fine players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sad to think that Paul and Ray have both passed away......two very fine players.

... and Dave Shipperley too. All three gone, a very sobering thought.
  • Options

Bloody hell......yes you're right Raith......I clean forgot about Big Ship having passed away.......how ironic that all three of them in that photo are no longer with us.
  • Options

Just emailed Brian to point this out to him.
  • Options

I'm using an Apple iPad and I am unable to scroll across as far as the Charlton shots.....just keeps scrolling/bouncing back as soon as I take my finger off the screen.
    Anyone know why?

Did you solve this? Have you tried it with glasses on and in portrait view? Works ok on Windows 98
  • Options
    ads said:

Anyone know why?

Did you solve this? Have you tried it with glasses on and in portrait view? Works ok on Windows 98
    Erm no ads.........it's an iPad issue.....can't be rectified evidently.
  • Options

Paul Davies, brother of Ron Davies, one-time Southampton centre forward
    Thanks for that, I don't remember him playing, but then again, half the time, I don't remember what I did yesterday.
  • Options
    Is that Terry Mancini, second from left, playing for Orient?
  • Options

Thanks all, I couldn't enlarge the photo so a bit difficult for these old eyes :-(
  • Options

Yes i think it is
  • Options

Yes i think it is
    And Dennis Rofe jumping with Treacle I think.