Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    A message to the Officers of all Shepherd Neame Kent Cricket League Clubs

Would you please ensure that the following statement is circulated to your Captains, players and any Club umpires used by you.

Over the last few months some Captains have raised the issue of umpires not being able to hear when abuse (”sledging”) is being perpetrated. Captains feel that more should be done by the Umpires to protect their players, in particular their younger players. Feedback from the Umpires follows the normal practice of not being able to report what cannot be seen or heard. Unsurprisingly, most of the “sledging” culprits are very shrewd in being able to avoid the hearing of the umpire (but not the recipient player) and thereby avoid being reported and receiving punishment for their behaviour. However, there is little or no need for bowlers or fielders to end up unnaturally close to one of the opposition players on the field of play or to end up in some whispering contest. With immediate effect Umpires have been requested that should this happen then the presumption will be that the player placing himself in that position is doing so for the wrong reasons and that he will be warned, via his Captain, that if he continues to do so it will be grounds for him to reported which would trigger his subsequent suspension.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    All the regular posters on this thread must have got ducks yesterday or took nought for plenty
  • Options
    Nah, we won easily in a match of fairly poor quality. I batted 18 overs for 7 opening the batting and we still got over 200. That kind of day
  • Options
    Batted 11, faced one ball, did not bowl. Our opener took 4 for 19 or so off his 10. They're not a great side, bless em.
  • Options
    A couple more promising new faces though!
  • Options
    Bexley 2s 239-9 including 45 extras (as against our 12) which proved somewhat generous. Seb's contribution was 11 not out off a dozen balls.

Rather difficult to comprehend the Vine's reply as they made very little attempt to chase down the total required, so much so that after 23 overs they were 59-2 with one of the openers still on 23. They eventually finished on 195 all out but that was only due to a run a ball 55 from their number 7.

The 2s go back to the top but have some tough games left in the final five weeks of the season.
  • Options
    How about the Goulds?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

How about the Goulds?

Beckenham 3s 174-9 off 46 overs
    Littlebourne 1s 180-1 off 17.1 overs!!!

Byron - 10-1-35-2 plus a catch & 116 runs off 61 balls
    Sully - a catch and a stumping
    Josh - 12-2-33-3
    Dad - 6-0-28-0

Bexley 3s beat Roebucks which means that Littlebourne are now top
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Byron is a c***. Not even going to apologise for that language.
  • Options
    Back to our game yesterday, and I really like playing against the NatWest lads. They're really nice guys, even though they've lost every game this season.

My recruitment efforts did well; our keeper got his first big score for the club; and everyone was invested in a good game and actually putting the effort in!

A clean sweep for Colfes as well, curry thereafter, some decent boxing, and FINALLY bloody pulling a bird on a night out - perfect Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

Back to our game yesterday, and I really like playing against the NatWest lads. They're really nice guys, even though they've lost every game this season.

My recruitment efforts did well; our keeper got his first big score for the club; and everyone was invested in a good game and actually putting the effort in!

A clean sweep for Colfes as well, curry thereafter, some decent boxing, and FINALLY bloody pulling a bird on a night out - perfect Saturday!

Talking of Nat West, back in the day they used to run a side of geriatrics called Nat West Amblers (most of whom were probably younger than I am now truth be told). There were 8 old blokes and 3 youngsters to do the running in the field.

One season one of their players apparently came in from batting and went to the changing room to take his pads off etc. When he hadn't emerged after 20 minutes or so someone went in and found him sitting, still padded up, on a bench dead. To a man they all said what a way to go.

It was always a nice social fixture. I guess they don't run a similar side nowadays given that banks seem to make anyone below a very senior level redundant around the age of 50 unless they have niche skills.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

But despite that, you’re still watching bloody Love Island !
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Woah, hold on Paddy.

A few weeks ago you said you were punching well above your weight with some girl. Take it you crashed and burned?
  • Options
    Nice one for Saturday though
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

PaddyP17 said:

Woah, hold on Paddy.

A few weeks ago you said you were punching well above your weight with some girl. Take it you crashed and burned?
    She's 19, I'm 24 - five years at our ages is a big difference. But I was absolutely Jason Puncheon, yes! Didn't work out as she's now moving to Manchester. Such is life. Sigh.

But she was an absolute Fittie McVitie. As was the lady from last night! (Of course I'd say that though, just in case she's an avid CL reader)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Byron is a cunt. Not even going to apologise for that language.

Would have to completely agree and you'd think the League would step in and have a word with the club to point out that it is a ridiculous situation to have.

If you are scoring 361 in a 40 over game then that is complete bullshit, what is the point of even playing?

Sounds to me like the bloke is a bully who doesn't have the balls to test himself at a higher level but makes the excuse that he "likes playing with my mates" so hangs around dominating the lower reaches.

Played against a few of these blokes over the years both in the UK and Oz and they just wreck the game for everyone else.

There was one bloke who I used to play against here in Brisbane who was a class batter who could have played a much higher level based on ability, the only issue he had was that he was about 25-stone and would have had no chance of playing Grade cricket as those blokes are expected to be as fit as fuck and actually do fitness as part of their core training.

Our strategy against him was basically to push everyone back and bowl wide and force him to run, he was normally completely fucked by the time he got to about 50 and would end up holing out, bloody good player though.
  • Options
    Well, Paddy's not dumb but he can't understand
    Why she walk like a woman and caught like a man
    Oh his Lolwray, LO LO Lolwray,
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Well, Paddy's not dumb but he can't understand
    Why she walk like a woman and caught like a man
    Oh his Lolwray, LO LO Lolwray,

kinky !
  • Options

Riviera said:

How about the Goulds?

Beckenham 3s 174-9 off 46 overs
    Littlebourne 1s 180-1 off 17.1 overs!!!

Byron - 10-1-35-2 plus a catch & 116 runs off 61 balls
    Sully - a catch and a stumping
    Josh - 12-2-33-3
    Dad - 6-0-28-0

Bexley 3s beat Roebucks which means that Littlebourne are now top
    Byron was dropped on 8 and 80.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So all matches rained off were they?

Our 1's back on track after a couple of reverses. TW's lost also. Nice.
  • Options
    1s - Lost
    2s - Won
    3s - Won
    4s - Won
    5s - Won
    6s - Won

Shame that the 1s couldn't complete the clean sweep - not just because they need the points to get them away from the relegation zone but also because one of the Members has offered to pay for all drinks at the Club on any evening following all six teams winning.

The 2s played Lordswood in a somewhat niggling game - they came into the game on the back of 7 consecutive wins but were beaten out of sight with Bexley amassing 241-5 and Lordswood being bowled out for 121. So, the double completed over Lordswood and Bexley still top.

There was a lot of verbal encouragement during the game particularly from one Lordswood player to one of our openers who took great delight in acknowledging this upon reaching his 50 (he went on to getting 103) by pointing his bat in the direction of the fielder in question. Well it is only fair to do so when an individual plays such a pivotal role in throwing the ball unnecessarily at the stumps - resulting in 4 overthrows and taking the batsman to his half century!
  • Options
    Lordswood 2s are dicks
  • Options
    Yeah, crushing 9-wicket defeat vs the aforementioned Bexley 6th XI. Good club social afterward though!

Off to Frinton this morning. Grim.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Yeah, crushing 9-wicket defeat vs the aforementioned Bexley 6th XI. Good club social afterward though!

I understand that OCs won't appreciate this but the great thing about that game is that there was a guy playing for Bexley who is one of those that every club needs - not a super star but happy to play at any level and for him to score his maiden 50 for the Club after almost 150 games was fantastic news.
  • Options
    How about the Goulds?
  • Options
    Yeah, crushing 9-wicket defeat vs the aforementioned Bexley 6th XI.

PaddyP17 said:

I understand that OCs won't appreciate this but the great thing about that game is that there was a guy playing for Bexley who is one of those that every club needs - not a super star but happy to play at any level and for him to score his maiden 50 for the Club after almost 150 games was fantastic news.
    Gary is a very, very nice man and I'm pleased for him! Not from an official OCs perspective of course!
  • Options
    Very pleased I've made the trek, even though sat nav sent us to Colchester Town centre first up.

This is a sick day out!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

How about the Goulds?

Same as always - just variations of a theme. Josh was the star with the ball with figures of 12-7-16-5 and Byron chipped in with 2-40 as Cobham were bowled out for 126. Byron helped to knock them off in 17 overs with 76 off 44 balls.
  • Options
    BR3red said:

Beckenham are on fire!

No Sunday games tomorrow as the T20 finals at Beckenham, so playing for the roaming Camels.

Camels are a great bunch but scored a Ton against them 3 weeks ago ( for Beckenham) so unsure of the reception I am going to get.... knowing them - a pint!

Scored 4 for them - brilliant !