Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    I’m always super-motivated by receiving my weekly email from Play Cricket .. 

I get one of them too, and I'm only an umpire! (Maybe giving LBW's should count?)
  • Options
    Four wins on the spin for OCCC's 4th XI now! 25-run win against Wilsonians, their first defeat of the season.

I rather had a trick up my sleeve with my fourth and fifth change bowlers, one of whom opens for the 3s usually, and returned figures of 7-1-9-4. But we had very little regular 4s availability this week so them's the breaks.

Good game in a good spirit though which is what matters! 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    James Treadwell was one of the umpires at our game at T Wells today.
  • Options
    0 -29 from 9 0vers for lolwray down in the lower reaches of the Sussex league 
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Pingu is on the KCL umpires panel and is doing quite a few games this year.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Not looking good for Blackheath 1s or 2s is it? Unless something drastically changes, HSBC are down already in the 1st XI PL but, given that they usually have a poor second half to the season, Blackheath 1s will do well to survive too.

Great story for one of the lads in the Bexley 1s - three players including Ollie Robinson and Adam Ball were missing but one of those who was destined to be "dropped" responded in exactly the right way with his first ever ton.

That said, there are already 7 or 8 established first teamers in the 2s including two former 1st team captains. We had a great game against TW last week when winning by just 3 runs but that sandwiched two other victories against sides who mustered just 110 and 130 respectively.

And that is the problem with the 2s PL - it is made up of a number of sides that aren't competitive and the best sides have nowhere to go. Which is why we do need a re-organisation of the KCL. Our 3s are more than holding their own in Div 5 of the 1st XI League and I'm sure our 2s would do the same in say Div 2.
  • Options
    A few years back I came out of retirement for a couple of seasons and played for a 'dad's and lads' side. On Tuesday, one of the 'lads' hit an unbeaten 156 against the MCC. he opens for Sidcup 1s now and obviously took on board all I was teaching him back when we were opening partners, then dismissed it all.
    The lad I used to play with was at it again yesterday. Chasing 263, he made 170 not out as Sidcup won by 6 wickets. http://sidcup.play-cricket.com/website/results/3549272
    I’ll have to ask if the lad I played with has any Gould blood in him. He was at it again yesterday scoring 154 not out in a 20/20 game on the first day of sidcups cricket week. Not sure of the strength of the opposition yesterday but this season he has now had 14 innings scoring 5 x 50s and 4 tons and is averaging 115 at a strike rate of 184.
    Sam Lockwood has certainly been in fantastic form this season but has only really been consistently successful in the last couple of years. He could, admittedly, possibly be accused of bullying the opposition on occasions but hasn't quite reached the "heights" of Byron Gould who has been doing so for the last seven or eight years.
    Sam has been at it again.
    3 tons in last 3 innings. an unbeaten 44 ball 100 in a friendly, 115 in 71 balls yesterday in the league and 139 in 80 balls last week in the league.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Not looking good for Blackheath 1s or 2s is it? Unless something drastically changes, HSBC are down already in the 1st XI PL but, given that they usually have a poor second half to the season, Blackheath 1s will do well to survive too.

Great story for one of the lads in the Bexley 1s - three players including Ollie Robinson and Adam Ball were missing but one of those who was destined to be "dropped" responded in exactly the right way with his first ever ton.

That said, there are already 7 or 8 established first teamers in the 2s including two former 1st team captains. We had a great game against TW last week when winning by just 3 runs but that sandwiched two other victories against sides who mustered just 110 and 130 respectively.

And that is the problem with the 2s PL - it is made up of a number of sides that aren't competitive and the best sides have nowhere to go. Which is why we do need a re-organisation of the KCL. Our 3s are more than holding their own in Div 5 of the 1st XI League and I'm sure our 2s would do the same in say Div 2.
    Agree with this and this year Bexley are in a pretty good position with this embarrassment of riches.Is not the bigger question how the other sides raise standards ? A big problem at that level is the distance travelled for players that are not necessarily interested in playing 1st team cricket - a trip from the coast to the Kent Met for a 12 o’clock start and vice versa doesn’t sound great especially if your team is struggling. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Agree with this and this year Bexley are in a pretty good position with this embarrassment of riches.Is not the bigger question how the other sides raise standards ? A big problem at that level is the distance travelled for players that are not necessarily interested in playing 1st team cricket - a trip from the coast to the Kent Met for a 12 o’clock start and vice versa doesn’t sound great especially if your team is struggling. 
    @Addick Addict - I've noticed that George Haley (couple years below me at Eltham) blasted a quick 65 at the weekend but I assume he's probably going to be unlucky to be dropped?!

Also, Freddie Foster - what's he doing with you? I'd heard Bromley Common were pretty angry at him leaving.

You're really lucky with your setup, but I don't know if a re-structure is necessarily the best thing. I'd think there would be a "cream rises to the top" situation. With teams such as yourselves already having a very strong 2nd and 3rd XI (the latter being in Div 5!!), clubs like OCs - respectable enough - just won't ever have the punch to get much further than even where we are now.

But then what do you do about cricketers fighting for a Prem spot? It's a tricky issue.

And as @billysboots says above, travel is an issue. I remember Broadstairs sending eight men to our place for a final-day encounter, half of whom were colts, in a nothing to play for 2nd XI fixture.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

@Addick Addict - I've noticed that George Haley (couple years below me at Eltham) blasted a quick 65 at the weekend but I assume he's probably going to be unlucky to be dropped?!

Also, Freddie Foster - what's he doing with you? I'd heard Bromley Common were pretty angry at him leaving.

You're really lucky with your setup, but I don't know if a re-structure is necessarily the best thing. I'd think there would be a "cream rises to the top" situation. With teams such as yourselves already having a very strong 2nd and 3rd XI (the latter being in Div 5!!), clubs like OCs - respectable enough - just won't ever have the punch to get much further than even where we are now.

But then what do you do about cricketers fighting for a Prem spot? It's a tricky issue.

And as @billysboots says above, travel is an issue. I remember Broadstairs sending eight men to our place for a final-day encounter, half of whom were colts, in a nothing to play for 2nd XI fixture.

PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

McLeod for the chop this week by the look at the scorecard - you are only as good as your last innings ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone on here play in the mid-sussex league? Always keen to know if anyone ever plays against Dormansland?
  • Options
    Presumably, playing against them one should expect quite a few bouncers 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh that’s lovely, take a bow, sir 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Oh that’s lovely, take a bow, sir 
    Not tonight son
  • Options
    Riviera said:

To raise the standards you have to have a thriving colts section with quality coaching - all bar one of the current 2nd X1 came through the colts system at the Club. In addition to the 7 or 8 established first teamers I mentioned previously, there is a 16 year old in the 2nd X1 who has played Kent 2s this season and another lad of the same age would have done so too but for his GCSEs. They aren't good enough yet to hold down a regular place in the first team but playing in say Division 1 or 2 of the KCL would help them to develop. And the answer shouldn't be to move clubs to get that.

If there was just the one League then I'm sure having all bar say the top three or four divisions regionalised then the cricket would be more competitive - whether you are winning or losing no one wants one sided affairs. But those teams at the top will need to commit to travelling - even if a 9.15am meet for a potential arrival back at the Club at 8.30pm  does end up making it a very long day as it will be for us on Saturday when we travel to Sandwich.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

The 1st X1 still have a couple missing I believe so I don't think George's position in the side will be changed. But it does serve to demonstrate the issue.

Freddie has done very well this season and effectively replaced Jas Bassan who chose to move to Hornchurch CC. No club likes to lose a decent player and any more than we didn't want to lose Jas I understand why BC would not have wanted Freddie to leave. But Freddie has moved to a Club where he already had good friends such as George and is playing in the KPL.

As I have said above to get further up the tree a Club has to have a really good colts set up - would I be right in saying that many of the young players at Colfes School join the colts sections of clubs such as Bromley and Blackheath which is why they aren't coming through at OCs? 
  • Options
    Riviera said:

To raise the standards you have to have a thriving colts section with quality coaching - all bar one of the current 2nd X1 came through the colts system at the Club. In addition to the 7 or 8 established first teamers I mentioned previously, there is a 16 year old in the 2nd X1 who has played Kent 2s this season and another lad of the same age would have done so too but for his GCSEs. They aren't good enough yet to hold down a regular place in the first team but playing in say Division 1 or 2 of the KCL would help them to develop. And the answer shouldn't be to move clubs to get that.

If there was just the one League then I'm sure having all bar say the top three or four divisions regionalised then the cricket would be more competitive - whether you are winning or losing no one wants one sided affairs. But those teams at the top will need to commit to travelling - even if a 9.15am meet for a potential arrival back at the Club at 8.30pm  does end up making it a very long day as it will be for us on Saturday when we travel to Sandwich.
    Agree with a regionised league and a play off system to get into the Kent prem- if there were 3 regions met, east and central they could have a 4 way play off with the bottoms team in the prem for who gets the last place in the prem league.

Think that you may be in a bit of an ivory tower with the colts bit. Big clubs have the cash to pay for pro coaches and have the star players play for them. It’s more of a challenge for smaller clubs with smaller budgets to attract and keep the best kids. Ambitious parents are always prone to take them to prem league clubs who they consider are “better”. This then creates a logjam at the top and you potentially lose good players who want to play at a decent standard, or get so hacked off they give up altogether. These guys may not make it as prem players but could be really good 1st Xl players elsewhere.

Good to see that kids are getting a go for Kent 2s but if these 2 x u16s are Kent 2s standard shouldnt they be playing regularly in the Kent Prem ? 

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

The 1st X1 still have a couple missing I believe so I don't think George's position in the side will be changed. But it does serve to demonstrate the issue.

Freddie has done very well this season and effectively replaced Jas Bassan who chose to move to Hornchurch CC. No club likes to lose a decent player and any more than we didn't want to lose Jas I understand why BC would not have wanted Freddie to leave. But Freddie has moved to a Club where he already had good friends such as George and is playing in the KPL.

As I have said above to get further up the tree a Club has to have a really good colts set up - would I be right in saying that many of the young players at Colfes School join the colts sections of clubs such as Bromley and Blackheath which is why they aren't coming through at OCs? 
    Ouch - take that 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

Ouch - take that 
    It certainly wasn't meant as a criticism but I don't believe that OC's actually have a colts section. Admittedly I don't know if there is a connection between the School and Greenwich Juniors but if does beg the question why there isn't a natural pathway from the School to the Club. The same thing appears to be happening at OEs though I understand that a number of the volunteers who helped with the Colts section have now moved on with their sons to other clubs. The fact that OEs don't currently have an U15 side and only two adult sides it is clear that these boys must be playing elsewhere.

It isn't all about money. Coaches do get paid nowadays but you still have to have the volunteers and infrastructure at any Club to make it work. We have 110 All Stars on a Friday night and you will see, in addition to coaches who give that time up for free, loads of senior players and older colts helping to run the event. Every colt side has, in addition to a Level 2 coach, a Manager, a scorer, an umpire, someone to collect the money etc etc and these will be parents. Teas at Bexley on a Saturday are still made by Mums, Dads, Girlfriends, Grandads, Grandmas, etc etc and that is to cater for 75 people involved in games.

A Club has to create a culture. And promising Colts do move to bigger clubs to play at a higher level. More often than not though they return. Because the grass isn't always greener and it becomes apparent that it is better to play at a slightly lower level with your mates. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

Yes, that’s basically correct and was actively encouraged by the former master in charge of cricket over a 25 year period after a falling out with the OCs. To some extent it had always happened with the stars anyway (Humm, Caswall, Rodgers, to go back to my era). The Greenwich Juniors cooperation works up to a point but arguably benefits other clubs more, so we are now trying to build interest in colts cricket from the bottom again (via the All Stars programme, better cooperation with the school etc.). But this is a long term project as it needs to reverse a generation or so of decline and in any case some leakage is inevitable - for all the reasons mentioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

Yes, that’s basically correct and was actively encouraged by the former master in charge of cricket over a 25 year period after a falling out with the OCs. To some extent it had always happened with the stars anyway (Humm, Caswall, Rodgers, to go back to my era). The Greenwich Juniors cooperation works up to a point but arguably benefits other clubs more, so we are now trying to build interest in colts cricket from the bottom again (via the All Stars programme, better cooperation with the school etc.). But this is a long term project as it needs to reverse a generation or so of decline and in any case some leakage is inevitable - for all the reasons mentioned.
    That's good to hear and I wish you well. Too many clubs have had diminishing numbers or even lost their colts section. And despite what some people might think that is not good for the likes of Bexley. We need opposition and it is pointless stock piling - kids want to play and if you have to many in a squad you cannot give them game time.

For that reason and in my capacity as Colts Secretary I have had to turn down at least half a dozen under 11s this season - and have given the parents details of their nearest clubs. We couldn't even offer these kids a trial. Two of those go to Eltham College and play the game there so they are already on the road to becoming cricketers but it is pointless cherry picking because, ultimately, a club needs tomorrow's 6th team players as much as they need first teamers. And training has to have an end product - playing.

The philosophy of the Club for the earlier years is that, for League cricket, everyone gets a go. My son's side missed out winning the League at U10 and U11 because of it. Some other clubs wouldn't do that and would only use 5 or 6 bowlers and by definition those would be their best cricketers who would then bat in the top 5 too. How do other children get to learn, develop and want to carry on playing the game doing that?

For that reason the Club at the NKJL AGM raised a motion that all League U11 cricket should be pairs. This got defeated so both our U10s and U11s now play in the lower Pairs Division. Yes a player might get out three times to a county bowler. But they will get the chance to bat for 4 overs and not be walking back to the pavilion after one ball.

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

That's good to hear and I wish you well. Too many clubs have had diminishing numbers or even lost their colts section. And despite what some people might think that is not good for the likes of Bexley. We need opposition and it is pointless stock piling - kids want to play and if you have to many in a squad you cannot give them game time.

For that reason and in my capacity as Colts Secretary I have had to turn down at least half a dozen under 11s this season - and have given the parents details of their nearest clubs. We couldn't even offer these kids a trial. Two of those go to Eltham College and play the game there so they are already on the road to becoming cricketers but it is pointless cherry picking because, ultimately, a club needs tomorrow's 6th team players as much as they need first teamers. And training has to have an end product - playing.

The philosophy of the Club for the earlier years is that, for League cricket, everyone gets a go. My son's side missed out winning the League at U10 and U11 because of it. Some other clubs wouldn't do that and would only use 5 or 6 bowlers and by definition those would be their best cricketers who would then bat in the top 5 too. How do other children get to learn, develop and want to carry on playing the game doing that?

For that reason the Club at the NKJL AGM raised a motion that all League U11 cricket should be pairs. This got defeated so both our U10s and U11s now play in the lower Pairs Division. Yes a player might get out three times to a county bowler. But they will get the chance to bat for 4 overs and not be walking back to the pavilion after one ball.

Totally agree with the pairs notion , how are kids supposed to be interested in cricket if they get no proper game time .
    my eldest son (year 8)is school cricket captain (I call him mike Brearley cos he has a brain but is not that good a player) and less than half the team play club cricket so the others have minimal experience of the game , I’m always saying to him forget the result give these kids game time , let em bowl and bat (problem with them batting not in pairs is they’re on their way back to the pavilion really quick) 
    but there’s no way kids will stay interested in any cricket if they end up just fielding and the same 2-3 decent players do all the batting and bowling .
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Riviera said:

I've only just twigged who you were talking about. My memory of him goes back almost 50 years when I first came into contact with him - he threatened as a 6th former to put this then 11 year old in detention for being cheeky.

He went onto to gain a reputation as being a gritty opening bat in county cricket and one who knew numerous nurses of the accident and emergency units around the country on first name terms such was the frequency of his visits as a result of being hit on the fingers.

I also understand that his reputation of being a miserable so and so was somewhat harsh. Well that's what I'm told anyway! 
  • Options
    @Addick Addict the man ruined the Colfes-Colfeians relationship in favour of founding the Roebucks in 2005, and eventually ensured our own Colts section was so unsustainable that it led to its winding down in 2012 and subsuming by the GJCA. This now benefits every other club except ours. 

Ash - I'd disagree that the Greenwich thing has worked for us. Other than your son and Fraser, there are zero colts and any U18s who do play for us come via friends of OCCC members.

I think his reputation is certainly justified.

He nabbed all the School's players and stopped them from attending OCs eventually. Hell, look at the Roebucks website - it actually says the club was formed so youngsters could continue to play cricket after school!

Ultimately, we have a long old rebuild to undergo and we're attempting to ensure this happens sustainably. 
  • Options
    Junior cricket can also be a minefield - one club locally has their u11's in the B division this season.  At the weekend, they started a game with two Kent players, five district players and obviously smashed the oppo. Their excuse was that the Kent and District players wouldn't be available all season, so they wouldn't be strong enough some weeks to play in the A division. The losing team felt disheartened completely, and as a result some of them may not want to play again. For the winning team, only half got a game, so those not in the representative sides may not want to play again.  Crazy!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I've edited this post as I'm aware much of what I mentioned was inaccurate. 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Junior cricket can also be a minefield - one club locally has their u11's in the B division this season.  At the weekend, they started a game with two Kent players, five district players and obviously smashed the oppo. Their excuse was that the Kent and District players wouldn't be available all season, so they wouldn't be strong enough some weeks to play in the A division. The losing team felt disheartened completely, and as a result some of them may not want to play again. For the winning team, only half got a game, so those not in the representative sides may not want to play again.  Crazy!
    I assume you mean U15 @Pedro45 and not U11? The Club's participation in the B Division was raised at the NKJL AGM and the same excuse was forthcoming then. 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I assume you mean U15 @Pedro45 and not U11? The Club's participation in the B Division was raised at the NKJL AGM and the same excuse was forthcoming then. 

PaddyP17 said:
    I also recall Chris Swadkin being congratulated on his ascension to some sort of Kent CCC position some months ago.

I suppose these sorts of things "divide" the thread. I, and many others, view him slightly differently (despite the fact he's an Addick) given his successful attempts to evict teams from grounds to ensure Blackheath's million teams had places to play; his... interesting recruitment methods of fully-bearded "14" year olds* - who I and my contemporaries had to play against, which was terrifying; and his role at Greenwich council has had a huge hand in a lot of this - especially the grounds thing.

So while the cream certainly rises to the top, it looks like there's less and less coffee to get through, so to speak.

*Edit - I have nothing of course against said 14 year olds, especially as age verification is probably a minefield for immigrants, but pitting them against clearly younger children in age group cricket seemed potentially dangerous.

Especially egregious was one "Nahid Ahmed Senior" playing in a U15 match in 2008!

http://oldcolfeians.play-cricket.com/website/results/1032469 

Its when one of the under 15s turn up driving the team bus you have to worry !!

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    If clubs are willing to do anything to win you are never going to be able to stop that . It comes down to the integrity of the people in charge who pick the teams. Seen this happen time and time again . If the kids are that good put them in the U17s when they are available or play them in the Sunday dev side to challenge them . The same club were called out over playing 3x 1st team players in their 2nd xi a few weeks ago when the 1s didn't have a game...……...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Yes, apologies.

http://chislehurstwestkent.play-cricket.com/website/results/3943319