Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Yes, but only by scoring enough runs or taking all the wickets in the available overs, and not just by scoring more runs at the end of play (as in a full 50 over win/lose game).
  • Options
    If you're going to sign an overseas player you might as well make it a good one.

Brentwood CC have one who goes by the name of Nick Winter. He has picked up 55 wickets so far this season at 5.95 including spells of 7-31, 7-33, 7-36, 8-29, 8-30 & 8-37. Unsurprisingly Brentwood are top of the Essex League 1st XI PL 

Winter plays for South Australia and is described on his Cricinfo profile as being "left arm medium". Imagine what damage he might do were he "fast".

• Options
    If you're going to sign an overseas player you might as well make it a good one.

Brentwood CC have one who goes by the name of Nick Winter. He has picked up 55 wickets so far this season at 5.95 including spells of 7-31, 7-33, 7-36, 8-29, 8-30 & 8-37. Unsurprisingly Brentwood are top of the Essex League 1st XI PL 

Winter plays for South Australia and is described on his Cricinfo profile as being "left arm medium". Imagine what damage he might do were he "fast".

Signed for Minster next year with Hockley 
  • Options
    Rumour hss it that Minster's cricket budget this season is £50k. 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I've heard that that's an estimation on the very low side. Figures bandied about have tended to range from £4k-£6k per game just on the playing (and, to be fair, coaching like with Cowdrey/Thompson) staff.
  • Options
    We lost yesterday, by the way. 165-7 played our 133 all out. But oh well. We are a batsman light and a wicket keeper light.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    I've heard that that's an estimation on the very low side. Figures bandied about have tended to range from £4k-£6k per game just on the playing (and, to be fair, coaching like with Cowdrey/Thompson) staff.
    4-6k a game sounds like an awful lot of money.   If they are paying players and they pay half the team that’s between £500 and £1000 each per game. There must be a serious backer there to support that. 

Personally I feel that no-one should be paid in an amateur league 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    4-6k a game sounds like an awful lot of money.   If they are paying players and they pay half the team that’s between £500 and £1000 each per game. There must be a serious backer there to support that. 

Hockley rumoured to be getting a grand a game next year..
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Hockley rumoured to be getting a grand a game next year..
    18k for the league season - good work if you can get it.

• Options
    Anyone know what’s happening at Dartfordians ? A few seasons ago they were running 4 saturday sides and a couple of Sunday ones , now struggling with one side on a saturday ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know what’s happening at Dartfordians ? A few seasons ago they were running 4 saturday sides and a couple of Sunday ones , now struggling with one side on a saturday ? 
    Massive exodus. Not sure where to, but I think a load of players just up and left and went lots of disparate ways. Think there may have been some sort of grounds dispute but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Back to results - and the Old Colfeians 4th XI haven't had a game in the last couple of weeks. Happily, one was a concession, meaning we bank 20 points, but it's a shame it came just before one of the blank weeks, so it's been a while for a couple of our lads without any cricket.

Played for the 3s on Saturday, and got a big old TFC. They posted 219-9 off their 40, which was a few too many for us, and we mustered 197-4 in reply.

I didn't bowl, and was due in at 7. Also, we won the toss and chose to field first. I blame our stand-in skipper for a travesty of a decision. Should've batted.

However, yesterday was rather more successful - the Waggoners travelled to Lordswood, and posted 170-8 off our 40. They were 141 all out in reply, and yours truly happened to snare their 1s player (who bats at 4 and bowls slow left arm for them), finishing with figures of 7-1-24-3, which isn't too shabby. Best I've bowled all season.

Bexley look to be smashing it and I presume @Addick Addict is revelling in their success!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Massive exodus. Not sure where to, but I think a load of players just up and left and went lots of disparate ways. Think there may have been some sort of grounds dispute but I'm not sure.
    There was also a lot of disharmony in the team, with some players doing the billy-big-boots if they didn't open the batting and bowling. Shame.  Don't know where any of them went?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    There was also a lot of disharmony in the team, with some players doing the billy-big-boots if they didn't open the batting and bowling. Shame.  Don't know where any of them went?
    billy-big-boots of course not to be confused with @billysboots :wink:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    A good few of them have migrated to Bexley over the course of the last couple of seasons with most playing in our 3rds in Div 5 of the 1st XI of the KCL
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    A good few of them have migrated to Bexley over the course of the last couple of seasons with most playing in our 3rds in Div 5 of the 1st XI of the KCL
    That doesn't surprise me as the grounds are very close!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Back to results - and the Old Colfeians 4th XI haven't had a game in the last couple of weeks. Happily, one was a concession, meaning we bank 20 points, but it's a shame it came just before one of the blank weeks, so it's been a while for a couple of our lads without any cricket.

Played for the 3s on Saturday, and got a big old TFC. They posted 219-9 off their 40, which was a few too many for us, and we mustered 197-4 in reply.

I didn't bowl, and was due in at 7. Also, we won the toss and chose to field first. I blame our stand-in skipper for a travesty of a decision. Should've batted.

However, yesterday was rather more successful - the Waggoners travelled to Lordswood, and posted 170-8 off our 40. They were 141 all out in reply, and yours truly happened to snare their 1s player (who bats at 4 and bowls slow left arm for them), finishing with figures of 7-1-24-3, which isn't too shabby. Best I've bowled all season.

Bexley look to be smashing it and I presume @Addick Addict is revelling in their success!
    I wouldn't say "revelling" but it is good to see both the 1s and the 2s at the top especially with so many of their home grown players contributing.

One of them is my own lad who, for one reason or another (GCSEs, limited training as a result and a plain lack of confidence), had struggled - until last week when he managed to score just under 300 runs including 50s for the school against the Areas side and another versus the MCC plus one on Friday for the Bexley U17s.

His best innings, however, came on Saturday when he top scored with 44 on a lively track against a Lordswood attack who had bowled Hayes out the previous week for just 35. It enabled us to make 144 resulting in a win for the 2s by a margin of just 12 runs. 

And no byes!
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I wouldn't say "revelling" but it is good to see both the 1s and the 2s at the top especially with so many of their home grown players contributing.

One of them is my own lad who, for one reason or another (GCSEs, limited training as a result and a plain lack of confidence), had struggled - until last week when he managed to score just under 300 runs including 50s for the school against the Areas side and another versus the MCC plus one on Friday for the Bexley U17s.

His best innings, however, came on Saturday when he top scored with 44 on a lively track against a Lordswood attack who had bowled Hayes out the previous week for just 35. It enabled us to make 144 resulting in a win for the 2s by a margin of just 12 runs. 

And no byes!
    Actually there were 5 byes, 4 of which came as a result of a missed stumping! Fortunately the batsman in question was out soon after. Not going to be too harsh on him as, up until last week, he hadn't let a bye through all season in the League.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The club I've been playing for...sorry trying to play for has just folded :(
  • Options
    That's sad to hear. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. Mind me asking who that was? (Also, there's always room at the Colfeian inn...)
  • Options
    Especially if you can bat. What Paddy didn't mention about the 3s game is that (in my absence) after him at 7 we had four batsmen who, if you added up their batting abilities, more or less make up one number 11 batsman
  • Options
    Yeah,the skipper that had been running it for the past 20 odd years retired and a few of us tried to keep it going but due to lack of players we couldn't get teams out for pre arranged fixtures and had to cancel games.

We only played friendly matches and the standard wasn't that great but it was fun and very enjoyable and stopped me getting bored during the summer.

Oh well,nothing lasts forever.
  • Options
    It's very amusing how cricket at this level works. On Saturday, Jack Laraman was dismissed by (former) Kent player Adam Riley, and on Sunday, by me! 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    It's very amusing how cricket at this level works. On Saturday, Jack Laraman was dismissed by (former) Kent player Adam Riley, and on Sunday, by me! 
    Perhaps Bexley may make you an offer !! 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Sorry to hear that. Mind me asking who that was? (Also, there's always room at the Colfeian inn...)
    Lessa Wanderers based in Footscray Road,Eltham.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Chislehurst is just down the road and very friendly....great batting pitch; always play at home on Sundays...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Er, hang on. Does this mean you can't fulfil this Sunday's fixture against Waggoners...?