Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Down to eight men?! What the hell was that about?
    We did have a total of 11 different players - just not all at the same time. One of these turned up in flip-flops to watch the closing overs and was co-opted to field for 5 overs until his dinner time. Another departed soon after having his bat (no prizes for guesswork there). Was a bit shambolic tbh. Fortunately the oppo collapsed, probably from laughter, after being 70-0 at halfway chasing 140.
    I presume the first one was Jason, and the second could have been anyone, but I assume it was your opening partner...!
    First was our 2s skip (who also couldn’t run due to injury) and you are correct with the second. An injured and flip-flopped Retin and the slowest moving man under 35 I’ve ever seen (Sagar) deciding who should chase after a cover drive was a sight to behold, I can tell you. 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Down to eight men?! What the hell was that about?
    We did have a total of 11 different players - just not all at the same time. One of these turned up in flip-flops to watch the closing overs and was co-opted to field for 5 overs until his dinner time. Another departed soon after having his bat (no prizes for guesswork there). Was a bit shambolic tbh. Fortunately the oppo collapsed, probably from laughter, after being 70-0 at halfway chasing 140.
    I presume the first one was Jason, and the second could have been anyone, but I assume it was your opening partner...!
    First was our 2s skip (who also couldn’t run due to injury) and you are correct with the second. An injured and flip-flopped Retin and the slowest moving man under 35 I’ve ever seen (Sagar) deciding who should chase after a cover drive was a sight to behold, I can tell you. 
    Sagar is much, much slower than me, and that is really saying something. He's never been quick though - fantastic bat on his day; very useful bowler; fielding genuinely almost negates his assets though.
  • Options
    @Addickted2TheReds you playing Saturday? We need to absolutely muller your lot to keep our slim, slim promotion hopes alive - so I'm hoping so ;) 
  • Options
    I'm in Spain mate - go well!
  • Options
    I'm in Spain mate - go well!
    Hahaha your lot dicked us by ten wickets. We were really weak today though which was a shame. Paul, Ram, and Neil all bowled absolute grenades very effectively.

Congrats on promotion!
  • Options
    I had to "suffer" the promotion party at Sidcup on Saturday, and next week have the same at Beckenham (most likely, as they only need 4 points to be Champions).
  • Options
    Bromley 1st relegate Chislehurst 1st
    Chislehurst 2nd relegate Bromley 2nd

Both incomplete games on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PopIcon said:

It was Bromley Town, not Bromley.

The 1's game suffered due to the heavy shower, where they lost 15 minutes or so, but with a 12.30 start, and 6.15 last hour (when you have rain delays), it it almost impossible to fit 100 overs in when innings regularly last 3.5 hours due to searching for lost balls etc. Both teams were disappointed, especially as Chisles had their best game for some time and looked like they might have won.  Chisles mathmatically got relegated on Saturday but reality was it happened some time back (when games against the other two teams near the bottom were rained off completely).

The 2's game I heard about was a little different, and spiced up due to comments from BT's old guard (accusation's of time-wasting put on play-cricket). So tell me, if so much time was wasted in the last hour, how come 23 overs were bowled?!? Only one over was lost in the end (hence incomplete), and maybe if BT hadn't bowled 35 wides and 3 no balls, they would have got all 46 overs finished! Sour grapes from BT.
  • Options
    An unusual one was our 2s match being abandoned after 7.4 overs due to a dangerous wicket at Blackheath's Academy ground. The OCs were 45-2 at the time. Blackheath, as home team, conceded the match. I have no further colour as I was enduring a promotion party at Bromley Common but maybe @PaddyP17 can shed more light.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PopIcon said:

It was Bromley Town, not Bromley.

The 1's game suffered due to the heavy shower, where they lost 15 minutes or so, but with a 12.30 start, and 6.15 last hour (when you have rain delays), it it almost impossible to fit 100 overs in when innings regularly last 3.5 hours due to searching for lost balls etc. Both teams were disappointed, especially as Chisles had their best game for some time and looked like they might have won.  Chisles mathmatically got relegated on Saturday but reality was it happened some time back (when games against the other two teams near the bottom were rained off completely).

The 2's game I heard about was a little different, and spiced up due to comments from BT's old guard (accusation's of time-wasting put on play-cricket). So tell me, if so much time was wasted in the last hour, how come 23 overs were bowled?!? Only one over was lost in the end (hence incomplete), and maybe if BT hadn't bowled 35 wides and 3 no balls, they would have got all 46 overs finished! Sour grapes from BT.
    Indeed, just seen the acerbic comment put on Play Cricket by BT: "Chislehurst managed to waste enough time so that only 45 overs were bowled in second innings". Naughty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only *45* overs? Pfah, these pampered 2s players don't know they're born
  • Options
    BT proper bells ...
    Cricket is full of some special odd bod freaks ... 
    knobs in English, 

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    An unusual one was our 2s match being abandoned after 7.4 overs due to a dangerous wicket at Blackheath's Academy ground. The OCs were 45-2 at the time. Blackheath, as home team, conceded the match. I have no further colour as I was enduring a promotion party at Bromley Common but maybe @PaddyP17 can shed more light.
    Blackheath 4s had already been relegated and thus had nothing to play for, while our 2s - if winning both the remaining fixtures - would be promoted, for some context. Also this is a second hand account I've summarised from speaking to our players.

We won the toss and chose to bat, and pretty much from the off, length balls were spitting up and popping off, sailing past the batsmen at head height. Others deviated a foot, that sort of thing. Our boys were happy to carry on, but Blackheath - after one particularly bad ball - came over and said no, we don't want to play on this, because we'll have to bat on it. And the OCCC bowling attack is a very very good one, so imagining the damage Harshil Patel (41 wickets this season, leading KCL wicket taker until Saturday when our own Alex Lorimer overtook him!) could do to them was genuinely a dangerous prospect. So they conceded.
  • Options
    From what I can gather, speaking to some 2s players yesterday, is that Blackheath were totally laaaame about it and they also smell 
  • Options
    The Bottom of the Prem looks interesting Blackheath just 3 points above the drop zone with one game left to play, could the Champions be relegated the very next year ? Wonder whats gone wrong at Rectory Field ? 
  • Options
    The Bottom of the Prem looks interesting Blackheath just 3 points above the drop zone with one game left to play, could the Champions be relegated the very next year ? Wonder whats gone wrong at Rectory Field ? 
    Yes, it's not inconceivable for Canterbury to save themselves even if they and Blackheath both lose this weekend. Blackheath's batting seems poor this year, though their bowling is still dangerous. I've only done them once, and they got smashed for 300 by Bickley Park (and lost by over 200). They do seem to be quite an old team compared to many of the other Prem teams (with Canterbury one of the youngest). 

If Blackheath do go down, they would emulate Hartley - the champions in 2016 - being relegated the next year.
  • Options
    So, some of you may be aware that a couple of weeks ago there were two abandoned fixtures in the upper echelons of the Kent Regional Cricket League pyramid.

As a result, an email has been sent round with some pretty strong language:

It has been clear that over the last few weeks’ of the season, the general behaviour of a number of clubs and a greater amount of players has been completely deplorable.

It is clear that a number of people have no idea of the Spirit of Cricket[.]

Brian then states that the league has been "locked down" until resolutions have been found with a couple of ongoing issues. Thankfully this doesn't mean suspension of fixtures, but relegations/promotions, and awards won't be finalised. There's gonna be an SGM next month which I'm going to have to haul myself down to Maidstone for it seems.

All sorts of spice in the KRCL!
  • Options
    Links to scorecards/gossip?
  • Options
    http://krcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/3825595 and http://krcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/3825214

Apparently there's been some trouble in the 3s division @Leuth but nothing concerning us. Rest is some grapevine stuff that I don't think is appropriate to pass on, but no doubt I'll tell you over a pint tomorrow evening!
  • Options
    Man, Swanscombe is a dark, dark place isn't it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (Unless I'm jumping to fairly justified conclusions and there was fault on both sides)
  • Options
    I live and play cricket in south Lincolnshire, and have no ties to the Kent league system.

However, I love reading about it on this thread, one of my favourites on this forum. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    http://krcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/3825595 and http://krcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/3825214

Apparently there's been some trouble in the 3s division @Leuth but nothing concerning us. Rest is some grapevine stuff that I don't think is appropriate to pass on, but no doubt I'll tell you over a pint tomorrow evening!
    I saw that scorecard but didn't know why and now see Brian's message.  Come on, spill the gossip?!?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I saw that scorecard but didn't know why and now see Brian's message.  Come on, spill the gossip?!?
    In fairness, I have no idea as to why the above two were abandoned. But a couple of incidents I've heard this year (won't name clubs):

- Alleged 22-man brawl in a KCL fixture

- One KCL team had several players (including their skipper) banned for verbal abuse of an umpire

- Skipper turning up incredibly drunk to a game, being run out because he thought the ball had crossed the rope, then breaking an electronic scoreboard in a fit. He was then sent home after acting in an intimidating fashion (is from the same club as one of those in the brawl)

Completely separate but worth monitoring, too, are rumours of KRCL reorganisation so that 3rd/4th XIs play 3rd/4th XIs rather than 1st or 2nd XIs of smaller clubs. That would lead to something a bit stale though imo. 
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    I live and play cricket in south Lincolnshire, and have no ties to the Kent league system.

However, I love reading about it on this thread, one of my favourites on this forum. 
    I dont even play cricket or live in Kent and I follow this thread.

I imagine @Leuth smoking a pipe whilst patrolling a sparsely occupied outfield as they only have 9 players , and hurling abuse at @PaddyP17 as he bungs down another half tracker
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

In fairness, I have no idea as to why the above two were abandoned. But a couple of incidents I've heard this year (won't name clubs):

- One KCL team had several players (including their skipper) banned for verbal abuse of an umpire

- Skipper turning up incredibly drunk to a game, being run out because he thought the ball had crossed the rope, then breaking an electronic scoreboard in a fit. He was then sent home after acting in an intimidating fashion (is from the same club as one of those in the brawl)

Completely separate but worth monitoring, too, are rumours of KRCL reorganisation so that 3rd/4th XIs play 3rd/4th XIs rather than 1st or 2nd XIs of smaller clubs. That would lead to something a bit stale though imo. 
    I was on scoring on the pitch next to this one and getting updates as it was all kicking off. I see from Play Cricket that the player in question hasn't played for that Club since this took place. 

The behaviour of some players and sides has become totally unacceptable. We've always had what I would call "banter" but some players nowadays do not know where the line is. For example, one might have said once upon a time "this bat has a nice middle to his pads" whereas nowadays, to a similar type of player, there is a far more confrontational "bat - why are you so shit?" 

This goes for how players treat Umpires. I said my bit about Roy's reaction to being given out earlier this summer and unfortunately this is commonplace. Last week I witnessed a 15 year old who was keeping for the opposition twice throw his gloves down in disgust and collapse to the floor when decisions were not given in his team's favour. How has this been allowed to creep in?

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I can comment slightly on the first one, as I know what happened. There was a lot of (incorrect) rumour around this initially, but basically it seems that as the players all left the field at the end of the game (relatively happy with the game) a senior committee member of the home team abused the oppo and this led to lots of pushing and shoving and more, hence the police were called and the guy who started it may have been arrested? No players were reported.

If the second one is the one I think it is then that was swearing, but not at the umpire; the captain was banned for not controlling his players. It could be for another game though....

Haven't heard about the drunk one...and I'd be surprised if it was either captain of the teams I mentioned though?

There are lots of rumours about re-organisation of the lower leagues, merging KCL div 5 with the KRCL Prem and making it regional. Don't agree with cutting out teams that have one side though, or no 4th team...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I can comment slightly on the first one, as I know what happened. There was a lot of (incorrect) rumour around this initially, but basically it seems that as the players all left the field at the end of the game (relatively happy with the game) a senior committee member of the home team abused the oppo and this led to lots of pushing and shoving and more, hence the police were called and the guy who started it may have been arrested? No players were reported.

If the second one is the one I think it is then that was swearing, but not at the umpire; the captain was banned for not controlling his players. It could be for another game though....

Haven't heard about the drunk one...and I'd be surprised if it was either captain of the teams I mentioned though?

There are lots of rumours about re-organisation of the lower leagues, merging KCL div 5 with the KRCL Prem and making it regional. Don't agree with cutting out teams that have one side though, or no 4th team...
    It wasn't the same teams but it was the captain of the 4th X1 of one of the Clubs in question. The electronic scoreboard he decided to abuse was, by all accounts, brand new and it had just been installed on the Home Club's second ground/pitch.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

It wasn't the same teams but it was the captain of the 4th X1 of one of the Clubs in question. The electronic scoreboard he decided to abuse was, by all accounts, brand new and it had just been installed on the Home Club's second ground/pitch.
    That all stacks up