Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Bexley rounded off their season today by easily winning the final of the Club Cricket Conference by beating Cambridge CC (238-6 played 67 all out) - without the help of some of their big guns too including the likes of Ollie Robinson, Calum MacLeod and Matt Cross. 

Seb wasn't selected to play either so we took the opportunity to finally get the thumb he injured six weeks ago X-rayed - he's broken it in two places and an appointment at St Thomas's will confirm whether he needs it pinned. I duly delivered the "good" news to his Mum and explained that this was just an occupational hazard. However, when I mentioned that  he and I thought that he would be back training in a couple of weeks she went absolutely ballistic and threatened to report me to Social Services.

If he has to wait three weeks then he'll just have to wait three weeks!
  • Hello everyone. 

In the wake of the KRCL being regionalised, thought I'd see how everyone's cricketing winters were going.

We're in the revamped "Division 6" (of seven) in the KRCL Met/West regional bit, which isn't too bad, especially with a reduction in number of teams. It's weird noting that Div 3 is the highest we can go before invitation to the KCL 2nd XI structure though.

To that end - and I'm not suggesting the mighty OCCC 4s are going to get anywhere near that level any time soon - what's the standard like in KCL 2nd XI Div 5? I note Bromley 4s have gone up (despite a bit of a tasty incident previously referred to on this thread!), and they were probably a tad better than our 3s last year.

Hope we're all wintering well!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Hello everyone. 

In the wake of the KRCL being regionalised, thought I'd see how everyone's cricketing winters were going.

We're in the revamped "Division 6" (of seven) in the KRCL Met/West regional bit, which isn't too bad, especially with a reduction in number of teams. It's weird noting that Div 3 is the highest we can go before invitation to the KCL 2nd XI structure though.

To that end - and I'm not suggesting the mighty OCCC 4s are going to get anywhere near that level any time soon - what's the standard like in KCL 2nd XI Div 5? I note Bromley 4s have gone up (despite a bit of a tasty incident previously referred to on this thread!), and they were probably a tad better than our 3s last year.

Hope we're all wintering well!
    2nd XI Div 5 is a bit worse than 2nd XI Div 4, which is the league Chislehurst 2's play in, so I know that quite well.  The average age of the Chisles team is over 50, and that's with a couple of teenagers playing! Fielding is generally very poor, and dropped catches are the norm. Bowling straight is a definite advantage! 46 over games and scores close to 170-ish will usually win the match. Umpiring level is varied with some poor/inconsistent standing umpires, and many games with players doing it. As long as you play with a smile and don't take it too seriously, it's fine!
  • I see that the Minster have been active in the current "transfer window" - David Masters is the new Director of Cricket (one assumes that he will continue to play too) and Eddie Moore has been signed as their overseas. Moore plays for the Warriors and Eastern Province and has an average of 42 in First Class Cricket.

• I see that the Minster have been active in the current "transfer window" - David Masters is the new Director of Cricket (one assumes that he will continue to play too) and Eddie Moore has been signed as their overseas. Moore plays for the Warriors and Eastern Province and has an average of 42 in First Class Cricket.

Isn't that all on top of James Hockley joining them from Eastbourne as well?  I think he signed his grand a game contract middle of last season to play for them this year.  Who's gonna come second in div one this year then? It's just a shame that batters as good as Kai Appleby hardly get to the crease each week.

Cowdrey (2019 average - 89)
    Hockley (52)
    Appleby (52)
    Moore (42 1st class career)
    Ervine (40)
    Thompson (55)
    Masters (20)

That's some top seven!!!
  • Ok all the above is within the rules but I'd like to see at least 2 or 3 young home grown players in that team 
  • Pedro45 said:
    I see that the Minster have been active in the current "transfer window" - David Masters is the new Director of Cricket (one assumes that he will continue to play too) and Eddie Moore has been signed as their overseas. Moore plays for the Warriors and Eastern Province and has an average of 42 in First Class Cricket.

Isn't that all on top of James Hockley joining them from Eastbourne as well?  I think he signed his grand a game contract middle of last season to play for them this year.  Who's gonna come second in div one this year then? It's just a shame that batters as good as Kai Appleby hardly get to the crease each week.

Cowdrey (2019 average - 89)
    Hockley (52)
    Appleby (52)
    Moore (42 1st class career)
    Ervine (40)
    Thompson (55)
    Masters (20)

That's some top seven!!!
    I'm just surprised that they didn't re-sign Matt Coles. Perhaps they will.
  • lolwray said:
    Ok all the above is within the rules but I'd like to see at least 2 or 3 young home grown players in that team 
    There is something wrong when you can have a team of 11 mercenaries playing what is meant to be an amateur game in the same division of one that doesn't pay anyone. As you say, all within the rules but, as we all know when the money runs out and the backer gets bored with it all, we know what will happen.

There's also another aspect to this. When anyone is being paid, let alone the sort of money that Minster are, it becomes that much more serious. I'm not suggesting that anyone shouldn't take first team cricket seriously but when this payment forms part of your livelihood there are more consequences of success and failure. Every opposition player is someone who can, potentially, affect that and every perceived bad decision by an Umpire has more repercussions. Does anyone believe that behaviour will improve as a result of this?
  • @Addick Addict where did you see the news about Moore? Can't find it on social media or anything.

But this is absolutely ridiculous. A 26 year old man who has scored a FC double ton, playing overseas cricket, and not even in the KCL Prem! Maybe it's a "long-term deal", who knows.

This is so far and beyond my cricketing realm that I don't have any useful input other than to parrot what you guys would say. However, having met the Minster lot while on the other pitch at Wilsonians last year, I have to concede that many of them are pretty decent blokes generally - and hell, if you're being offered that much money, why not take it?

Doesn't necessarily mean their behaviour is always impeccable on pitch though of course. They definitely play the game very hard.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    @Addick Addict where did you see the news about Moore? Can't find it on social media or anything.

But this is absolutely ridiculous. A 26 year old man who has scored a FC double ton, playing overseas cricket, and not even in the KCL Prem! Maybe it's a "long-term deal", who knows.

This is so far and beyond my cricketing realm that I don't have any useful input other than to parrot what you guys would say. However, having met the Minster lot while on the other pitch at Wilsonians last year, I have to concede that many of them are pretty decent blokes generally - and hell, if you're being offered that much money, why not take it?

Doesn't necessarily mean their behaviour is always impeccable on pitch though of course. They definitely play the game very hard.
    Here you go:

https://twitter.com/WSXcricket/status/1207030680686940160
  • Sponsored links:

• This seems madness to me.

so you can have someone being paid £1k a game playing against someone who presumably pays subs to play in same game ?

Is this all funded by rich benefactor or is the quite hefty sponsorship at this level ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    This seems madness to me.

so you can have someone being paid £1k a game playing against someone who presumably pays subs to play in same game ?

Is this all funded by rich benefactor or is the quite hefty sponsorship at this level ?
    Yes, you can. At Colfes we've had exclusively subs-paying members since 2014 or 2015, to my knowledge (maybe one exception, but they certainly weren't paid to play). Our last overseas pro - EJ - was found some work, lived on heavily subsidised rent, and we paid his flights - that was it.

The financial gaps can be quite staggering.

It's one rich benefactor for Minster. There's next to no sponsorship really - these games aren't exactly attended by anyone bar maybe someone's dad (looking at you @Addick Addict mate!)

The goal is... Well, to win the Kent League, I suppose. That's basically it. That, in itself, doesn't appear to have a financial incentive either.
  • MrOneLung said:

Allegedly the haul from an old bank job on the mainland has been dug up. 
  • MrOneLung said:

I had heard that the person putting the money in at Minster has a pot of £100k. Equally and assuming Minster retain their charity status, I suspect that these players are "employed" by the guy's company for "work" they do for that company.
  • MrOneLung said:

I had heard that the person putting the money in at Minster has a pot of £100k. Equally and assuming Minster retain their charity status, I suspect that these players are "employed" by the guy's company for "work" they do for that company.
    £100k for the season? Or... forever? I presume it's the former, otherwise the whole thing is going to go tits up very, very soon.
  • MrOneLung said:

That was certainly the case with Ervine last year. He was sponsored by said benefactor as a "golf pro", and played cricket on his days "off" from that role. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    MrOneLung said:

That was certainly the case with Ervine last year. He was sponsored by said benefactor as a "golf pro", and played cricket on his days "off" from that role. 
    Phenomenal. Thought the golf wasn't related! 

Wonder what FFP in the KCL would look like...
  • Oho! His Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Ervine 

"He is currently wasting his Saturday's playing for Minster Cricket Club. In an arrangement which sees the Division 2 side in Kent's club level pay for all his golfing expenditure in a deal worth over £30,000."

(not my words, nor my grammar, of course)
  • PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

£100k for the season? Or... forever? I presume it's the former, otherwise the whole thing is going to go tits up very, very soon.

For the season - so the £850 I per game for Thompson, plus the grand per game for Hockley and the £30k for the season for Ervine would leave them approximately £2K per game for the rest of the side. Fabian alone would take a fair chunk of that and with what David Masters is getting paid as Director of Cricket that won't leave a lot for Daniel Masters, Appelby, let alone the gun bat from South Africa and the rest that make up the first team squad.

Either those individual figures are fanciful or £100k isn't a big enough budget!!! 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

For the season - so the £850 I per game for Thompson, plus the grand per game for Hockley and the £30k for the season for Ervine would leave them approximately £2K per game for the rest of the side. Fabian alone would take a fair chunk of that and with what David Masters is getting paid as Director of Cricket that won't leave a lot for Daniel Masters, Appelby, let alone the gun bat from South Africa and the rest that make up the first team squad.

Either those individual figures are fanciful or £100k isn't a big enough budget!!! 
    Maybe the Ervine money doesn't come into it, and I heard Fabian Cowdrey isn't on much per game because of his coaching role (so maybe the £100k budget doesn't come into it?) - but who knows!

For comparison - Frinton on Sea, who won the East Anglia Prem last year, paid their first team (total) around £2k per game. I think that was therefore £36k a year. This included BMDK Mendis, who is currently playing in Sri Lanka's domestic T20 and List A competitions, and who has taken 280 wickets at 21 apiece in FC competition.

Minster are either paying less than we've all heard (very possible - I suspect probable, but still paying LOADS), or way, WAY too much and should really be investigated. It's not really fair.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Maybe the Ervine money doesn't come into it, and I heard Fabian Cowdrey isn't on much per game because of his coaching role (so maybe the £100k budget doesn't come into it?) - but who knows!

For comparison - Frinton on Sea, who won the East Anglia Prem last year, paid their first team (total) around £2k per game. I think that was therefore £36k a year. This included BMDK Mendis, who is currently playing in Sri Lanka's domestic T20 and List A competitions, and who has taken 280 wickets at 21 apiece in FC competition.

Minster are either paying less than we've all heard (very possible - I suspect probable, but still paying LOADS), or way, WAY too much and should really be investigated. It's not really fair.
    It may not be fair, but who's to investigate?  It's not against the rules! Other Premier league teams pay most of their players (Bickley Park for instance), and so did Hartley apparently.  It's when the money dries up (for whatever reason - see Hartley) that things go pear shaped.
  • Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

It may not be fair, but who's to investigate?  It's not against the rules! Other Premier league teams pay most of their players (Bickley Park for instance), and so did Hartley apparently.  It's when the money dries up (for whatever reason - see Hartley) that things go pear shaped.
    ... Maybe the rules need an examination, then. But I suspect the quality of cricket that the Kent contracted players would then be obliged to play in, in turn, would diminish. Not an easy situation.
  • After seven years at Bexley, Seb is leaving for pastures new. A desperately difficult decision for the lad especially as there has been no fall out with Bexley whatsoever - he just wants to become a batsman first and keeper second.

Pleased to say that we have had loads of best wishes from players, officials and parents alike at Bexley even if a bit of disappointment has been expressed by some and a few others that have questioned the decision. He and I will continue to be social members.

We deliberately didn't approach another club prior to telling Bexley but did have one in mind that we felt might offer Seb the opportunities he's looking for and that is Sidcup who he will now be joining. Ultimately, he will be trying to secure himself a place in the first team but the most important thing for him right now is that he gets a prominent batting position for whichever team he is selected for and that there is an obvious pathway to achieving that goal.

Sidcup 1s were promoted last season to Division 1 alongside the aforementioned Minster - the difference being that Sidcup don't pay anyone, haven't an overseas and most of the players have come through their Colts system. I played for the Club for over 30 years (although only ever at 3rd team level) and I am looking forward to renewing acquaintances albeit that some of those that I did play with have now left or, sadly, "shuffled off this mortal coil".

• PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

... Maybe the rules need an examination, then. But I suspect the quality of cricket that the Kent contracted players would then be obliged to play in, in turn, would diminish. Not an easy situation.
    Not sure they are obliged any more - some have no club affiliations in Kent - but it can be a nice earner .......
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Not sure they are obliged any more - some have no club affiliations in Kent - but it can be a nice earner .......
    Some players are found a Club by Kent simply because they are coming back from injury or out of form and there aren't obvious opportunities available for them in any given week
  • After seven years at Bexley, Seb is leaving for pastures new. A desperately difficult decision for the lad especially as there has been no fall out with Bexley whatsoever - he just wants to become a batsman first and keeper second.

Pleased to say that we have had loads of best wishes from players, officials and parents alike at Bexley even if a bit of disappointment has been expressed by some and a few others that have questioned the decision. He and I will continue to be social members.

We deliberately didn't approach another club prior to telling Bexley but did have one in mind that we felt might offer Seb the opportunities he's looking for and that is Sidcup who he will now be joining. Ultimately, he will be trying to secure himself a place in the first team but the most important thing for him right now is that he gets a prominent batting position for whichever team he is selected for and that there is an obvious pathway to achieving that goal.

Sidcup 1s were promoted last season to Division 1 alongside the aforementioned Minster - the difference being that Sidcup don't pay anyone, haven't an overseas and most of the players have come through their Colts system. I played for the Club for over 30 years (although only ever at 3rd team level) and I am looking forward to renewing acquaintances albeit that some of those that I did play with have now left or, sadly, "shuffled off this mortal coil".

Good luck to Seb and I hope he enjoys his cricket at Sidcup.
    My only reservation would be the standard of the main square at Crescent Farm.
    I used to love batting there many years ago, but some of our lads at ODs reckon it's a bit variable to stay the least.
    Thoughts?

Good luck to Seb and I hope he enjoys his cricket at Sidcup.
    My only reservation would be the standard of the main square at Crescent Farm.
    I used to love batting there many years ago, but some of our lads at ODs reckon it's a bit variable to stay the least.
    Thoughts?

Thanks and that may be a fair point.

The only thing is that as Seb might not have been able to keep at the start of the season (or even want to for that matter)  the likelihood is that he would have been in the 3rds.  That is probably a higher standard than Sidcup 2s but he would have been playing at Loring Hall (probably even worse than Crescent Farm's track judging by the respective scores made last season) and there may not have been an batting position available for him in Bexley's 2s even if he had been successful in the 3s. 

Good to hear Seb is doing well. I'm the U15a manager at Bexley and we've not been introduced as Charlton fans!! Beer in order!!!