Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    who are who are they favourites for the Prem Title  this year and who do you think will be for the drop ? 
  • Options
    who are who are they favourites for the Prem Title  this year and who do you think will be for the drop ? 
    Bexley will still be strong again this season but they might lose two or three of their side during school time and it really depends on whether they can secure enough wins without them. Tunbridge Wells have made a couple of good signings including Sam Smith from Bromley. The Vine are usually there or there abouts but the team I think will do well again is Sandwich. They've been consistently good for the last few years and have now signed David Grant - not the singer but the South Australia and Brisbane Heat fast bowler. They're a proper family based cricket club without the stars but have been lacking someone like Grant since the likes of Stewart and Klaassen were available to play for them. 

Minster could turn out to be anything and Bickley will have to put enough runs on the board each week to give their excellent bowling attack something to bowl at. Hayes will be reliant on Messrs Blake, MacVicar and Severin and Blake's availability might dictate how far up the table they finish. Beckenham, Lordswood and Blackheath might struggle again unless their respective new recruits perform.
  • Options
    Bexley will still be strong again this season but they might lose two or three of their side during school time and it really depends on whether they can secure enough wins without them. Tunbridge Wells have made a couple of good signings including Sam Smith from Bromley. The Vine are usually there or there abouts but the team I think will do well again is Sandwich. They've been consistently good for the last few years and have now signed David Grant - not the singer but the South Australia and Brisbane Heat fast bowler. They're a proper family based cricket club without the stars but have been lacking someone like Grant since the likes of Stewart and Klaassen were available to play for them. 

Minster could turn out to be anything and Bickley will have to put enough runs on the board each week to give their excellent bowling attack something to bowl at. Hayes will be reliant on Messrs Blake, MacVicar and Severin and Blake's availability might dictate how far up the table they finish. Beckenham, Lordswood and Blackheath might struggle again unless their respective new recruits perform.
    Yep, that's pretty much how it looks.  Of course, who the umpires are dictates a lot in the KCL these days, but I can confirm that I am not down to do any team five times this season! ;-) 
  • Options
    Probably not quite the level some of you are used to but went to watch one of my mates play against Downe Cricket Club on Sunday just gone.
    Downe's number 3 hit 137no.  Dont think I've seen so many 6s hit in one innings.  293/3 off just 35 overs.  A nice Sunday in the spring sunshine.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Probably not quite the level some of you are used to but went to watch one of my mates play against Downe Cricket Club on Sunday just gone.
    Downe's number 3 hit 137no.  Dont think I've seen so many 6s hit in one innings.  293/3 off just 35 overs.  A nice Sunday in the spring sunshine.
    Wow. Looking at that I'd say you retire on a ton there tbh.

As for me - been a good pre-season thus far, having not netted once. First game was inter-club and I bagged my best ever figures, not that they massively count in an inter-club friendly - 8-4-17-4. Sunday just gone for Waggoners v Four Elms it was 7-2-16-1 opening up, which was nice.

I actually feel in control of my flight; pace; line; and length. What I intend to do seems to keep happening. It's quite a scary feeling.
    To be fair to the fella, he gave a feeble raise of his bat and walked off almost to the boundary to be waved back on by his teammates who clearly couldnt be arsed to bat and was encourage to continue by the fielders.
  • Options
    Ben Compton has signed for the Vine and will, presumably, be available most regularly for the weeks when the Blast takes place because I can't see him making the T20 team.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, what do you think a player like Ben Compton could command for a guest appearance?.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Out of curiosity, what do you think a player like Ben Compton could command for a guest appearance?.
    I haven't a clue and it all depends on the club and how they "pay" their star players. Some pay on the basis of a bonus related to runs/wickets whereas others are rumoured to use an outside company to pay their players thereby getting round the fact that the associated would break the CASC status rules for doing so (£10k in total to all players).

I had a rumour that one Kent player was paid, in recent times, £2,000 up front to play four games. To say he didn't give much of a return for the investment would be something of an understatement. It wouldn't surprise me though if one or two clubs aren't paying up to £500 a match. Possibly more depending on how desperate they are to buy success.

I can confirm that Seb isn't paid a penny which is hardly surprising given his relatively lowly status. I can also confirm that he doesn't pay an annual sub or match fee. Because, fortunately for him, his dad pays his subs instead!!!
  • Options
    Depends how desperate the club is I would imagine. Isn’t Crawley and Billings also attached to the Vine ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depends how desperate the club is I would imagine. Isn’t Crawley and Billings also attached to the Vine ?
    Difference is that Crawley and Billings will have other engagements such as England, the Blast and the Hundred and won't play for the Vine this season. Compton, unless he gets a Test call up, won't have such a complication.

• Options
    Why did I not know that HSBC had become New Beckenham?
  • Options
    I haven't a clue and it all depends on the club and how they "pay" their star players. Some pay on the basis of a bonus related to runs/wickets whereas others are rumoured to use an outside company to pay their players thereby getting round the fact that the associated would break the CASC status rules for doing so (£10k in total to all players).

I had a rumour that one Kent player was paid, in recent times, £2,000 up front to play four games. To say he didn't give much of a return for the investment would be something of an understatement. It wouldn't surprise me though if one or two clubs aren't paying up to £500 a match. Possibly more depending on how desperate they are to buy success.

I can confirm that Seb isn't paid a penny which is hardly surprising given his relatively lowly status. I can also confirm that he doesn't pay an annual sub or match fee. Because, fortunately for him, his dad pays his subs instead!!!
    I believe that the club using outside companies may also have benefited from the government's furlough scheme, which is disgraceful if true. But it is a potentially libelous accusation and enough doubt exists for me to refrain from any direct call-outs.

Some teams/weird individuals really are desperate to win at amateur cricket.

I think I know who the paid Kent player might be - were they playing somewhere near Royal St George's...?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I believe that the club using outside companies may also have benefited from the government's furlough scheme, which is disgraceful if true. But it is a potentially libelous accusation and enough doubt exists for me to refrain from any direct call-outs.

Some teams/weird individuals really are desperate to win at amateur cricket.

I think I know who the paid Kent player might be - were they playing somewhere near Royal St George's...?
    They weren't actually but that's not to say that the person you're thinking of wasn't doing the same thing. For the reasons you've stated I have now wish to name them but it was, as I say, in the last few seasons or so. 
  • Options
    Often ends in tears though when the money runs out, Hartley being the most recent example
  • Options
    Ben Compton has signed for the Vine and will, presumably, be available most regularly for the weeks when the Blast takes place because I can't see him making the T20 team.
    In addition to Compton, the Vine have now signed Kent fellow Kent cricketer, James Logan plus UAE international seamer, Yodhin Punja. 
  • Options
    wow - surely it would be better for the league if Kent “allocated” the pros to a club as part of their kent contract ? Improve standards across the division ?
  • Options
    wow - surely it would be better for the league if Kent “allocated” the pros to a club as part of their kent contract ? Improve standards across the division ?
    Don't they do this ? They used to for sure 
  • Options
    Due to the hideous nature of the county calendar (no other country in the world has four main competitions), there aren't many pros that actually get an opportunity or want to play club cricket because, apart from the financial side of things, they have little to gain. If you're a seamer, Kent will only let you play if you haven't bowled your overs for the week and if you're a batsman, then playing on tracks where you can't hit through the line for fear that the ball will stop on you makes it a bit of a harder and different game to the ones you are used to playing - Jordan Cox, for example, would be expected to dominate in the KPL but he batted 10 times for Sandwich in 2019 and 2021 and made 306 runs in total.

The likelihood is that Compton will have very little county cricket during most of the weeks of the Blast hence his availability and Logan is way down the spinners' pecking order as he is struggling to even take wickets in the Kent 2s (1-250) as is the case with O'Riordan (4-266) who will be playing for TW. The white ball contracted Blake has and will continue turn out for Hayes but, apart from possible one offs from a few  players I can only see the likes of  Jas Singh (Bexley), Muyeye and Qadri (both clubs unknown) being seen in club colours this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How do they do it for 10K in total!!
  • Options
    How do they do it for 10K in total!!
    I suspect that those that break the £10k find ways of getting round that - such as players being "employed" by companies owned by influential members attached to the club in question. Others keep within the £10k but offer what they would call "bonuses" for achievements on the pitch. Any such incentive that is only available to those that play for the 1st XI cannot be construed as anything other than a payment, whether it is permitted or not. It is just the scale of the payment that differs and whether the total falls within the ceiling. Some, of course, can't afford to pay anyone but you won't find too many of those clubs in the KPL.
  • Options
    “Coaching”
  • Options
    So, how did we all get on yesterday for what was, for many clubs, the first game of the season?

Bickley 1s couldn't have had a better venue to commence battle - The Nevill. Bickley won the toss and elected to bat but the same top order collapses that have undermined their campaign in recent seasons manifested itself once again - at 38-4 (Seb one of those, caught behind for 15) with still 40 overs to bat left them in a spot of bother but chiefly thanks to the efforts of Saf Imitiaz (32) and Elliot Hooper (78) they managed to bat 'til  the penultimate over for 182. Not a bad score but probably 20-30 runs light.

Tunbridge Wells started like a rocket and inside 4 overs were 27 without loss and with Jason Benn, in his 3rd over pulling up lame, things looked pretty bleak. But then TW successfully replicated Bickley's innings and lost 4 wickets in 15 runs - all very good bats at that. Game on! Alex Williams (24), Matt Barker (19) and Michael Waller (50) then steadied the ship with just one further wicker down to take the score to 156-6 and just 27 to win with still more than 11 overs to go. But two wickets in three balls and Bickley were right back in the game and aided by a disastrous run out (a breakdown in communication between their man from down under and his partner) and Bickley were 165 all out - 18 runs short. Five Bickley bowlers shared the wickets but MOM Hooper added to his 78 with figures of 9-1-20-1.

Last season Bickley started the season with five straight losses. Yesterday they were missing Max Luckett (making his First Class debut for Kent) and will probably now lose Benn for a few weeks. Their success, or otherwise, will depend on the men stepping in compensating for their absence (as Bexley found yesterday it is extremely hard to lose one or two players let alone three in the shape of Ball, Riley and Singh) and solving their top order issues - as one person said to me "the trouble with this side is that they have nine very good number 6s"!

• Options
    I did the Bexley vs Hayes game, and Bexley were outplayed in every department. The outstanding fielding (exemplified by Blake) set the tone, and coupled with fairly accurate bowling, Bexley gave their wickets away one after the other. 129 was never going to be enough, and though the big overseas bowled quick, he was no match for McVicar's superb driving. Blake hit one massive six and lost the ball, but then seemed to give his wicket away when three runs short of victory, padding tamely at a straight ball. 

With Bexley, Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks Vine all losing, it may be Sandwich Town's title to lose? Unless of course, Messrs Blake and McVicar smash everything before them and push Hayes forward even more...
  • Options
    South Loughton firsts got 274/5 in their 45 overs and my 16 year old son was called a c**t when he was umpiring when he gave not out to a run out appeal from square leg … charming 
    Rainham all out for 169 in reply my son took 2 wickets and 3 catches but said he didn’t bowl well (he’s only in firsts cos their usual spinner took some time out to study for some accounting exams) 

hopefully both back together in the seconds next week , our game at Canvey was called off due to some paperwork issues or something. 
  • Options
    So, how did we all get on yesterday for what was, for many clubs, the first game of the season?

Bickley 1s couldn't have had a better venue to commence battle - The Nevill. Bickley won the toss and elected to bat but the same top order collapses that have undermined their campaign in recent seasons manifested itself once again - at 38-4 (Seb one of those, caught behind for 15) with still 40 overs to bat left them in a spot of bother but chiefly thanks to the efforts of Saf Imitiaz (32) and Elliot Hooper (78) they managed to bat 'til  the penultimate over for 182. Not a bad score but probably 20-30 runs light.

Tunbridge Wells started like a rocket and inside 4 overs were 27 without loss and with Jason Benn, in his 3rd over pulling up lame, things looked pretty bleak. But then TW successfully replicated Bickley's innings and lost 4 wickets in 15 runs - all very good bats at that. Game on! Alex Williams (24), Matt Barker (19) and Michael Waller (50) then steadied the ship with just one further wicker down to take the score to 156-6 and just 27 to win with still more than 11 overs to go. But two wickets in three balls and Bickley were right back in the game and aided by a disastrous run out (a breakdown in communication between their man from down under and his partner) and Bickley were 165 all out - 18 runs short. Five Bickley bowlers shared the wickets but MOM Hooper added to his 78 with figures of 9-1-20-1.

Last season Bickley started the season with five straight losses. Yesterday they were missing Max Luckett (making his First Class debut for Kent) and will probably now lose Benn for a few weeks. Their success, or otherwise, will depend on the men stepping in compensating for their absence (as Bexley found yesterday it is extremely hard to lose one or two players let alone three in the shape of Ball, Riley and Singh) and solving their top order issues - as one person said to me "the trouble with this side is that they have nine very good number 6s"!

15 runs off 19 balls was the best SR for Bickley.
  • Options

15 runs off 19 balls was the best SR for Bickley.
    It was but his unfortunate reputation is someone who scores "pretty 15s" and his role is to bat time and allow the hitters to come in later - not inside the first ten overs. He's not looking out of place opening at this level though and the first ball that he received that he dismissably hit for a boundary off their overseas is not something he would have achieved last season as he would have been looking to leave or block at the beginning of the game. Small steps and all that!

• Options
    'Pretty 15s' is always welcome at BPCC and highly sought after by some members!
  • Options
    Noticed that Upchurch conceded their 2s fixture. that doesn't bode well 

Down here in the wilds of Sussex lolwray opened his bowling season with a respectable 2-17 although game abandoned at 5.30 due to heaviest rain I have seen since February...its definitely the cricket season