Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    Old Colfeians 2s in good form in the field yesterday at Sevenoaks Vine…

https://twitter.com/crickshouts/status/1533461011646271488?s=21&t=NTiVDMt1g7HYgZEF5S9Gbg
    Double teapot ✅
    Big cap throw ✅

We completely love to see it. Ifti; Dre; and Shabbir (the dropper) haven't exactly covered themselves in glory!
  • Options
    It's unfortunate on the one hand that he's not going to be in the CC squad for the game starting Sunday and I'm sure that he knows that it's nothing personal but it would be great if Blakey got stuck in Somerset on Friday night because he wouldn't then be able to play in the Hayes v Bickley Park match on Saturday! 
  • Options
    Not often I'm home from a game of cricket by 3.30pm but that was the case today.

Bickley 60 all out (MacVicar 6-31)
    Hayes 61-3

Once again the Bickley batsmen did themselves no favours and only one of them had an excuse, for which the Umpire later apologised which was very good of him especially as he didn't cost Bickley the game. At one point I had visions of Bickley beating Beckenham's 18 all out which would have been ironic because both Blake and MacVicar were in that side and Jason Benn, now playing for Bickley, took four of the wickets that day. Managed to take three of them, including MacVicar, but also succeeded in dropping Blake twice in two balls. 

A bad day at the office. They move on. To Bexley next week.

• Options
    Buzz Gould at it again 170 odd off 90 odd balls.. he really is a freak.. maybe he should have made it! 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Buzz Gould at it again 170 odd off 90 odd balls.. he really is a freak.. maybe he should have made it! 
    He is a very good player but there are three things to take into account today. One is the postage stamp ground that is Whitstable which makes it very difficult to protect boundaries, two is the fact that he is playing in the third tier and the final is the quality of the opposition bowling attack - New Beckenham are bottom and the guy that eventually got him out was playing, up until a few weeks ago, for Blackheath 4s. 
  • Options
    We posted 238 in our 45 overs 

our skipper was out there umpiring when my 16 year old son was batting and sent this message to the group 

“Their bowler ‘he hasn’t got an angry shot in him ‘

Harry - ‘4,6’”  😂

he got a useful 22 batting at no.10 

my son umpiring also gave the skipper out lbw earlier 

We have an old fella who umpires the whole match but the oppo asked for him to be removed , don’t know why … 
    left a bad feeling 
    the old fella has trudged off home 

oppo have given 3 lbws against themselves so far 
    currently 100/4 off 20 overs 
    gonna be close 

my son opened bowling slow pies with minimal spin
    prolly 6 overs 1 for 30 
  • Options
    Not often I'm home from a game of cricket by 3.30pm but that was the case today.

Hayes 61-3

Once again the Bickley batsmen did themselves no favours and only one of them had an excuse, for which the Umpire later apologised which was very good of him especially as he didn't cost Bickley the game. At one point I had visions of Bickley beating Beckenham's 18 all out which would have been ironic because both Blake and MacVicar were in that side and Jason Benn, now playing for Bickley, took four of the wickets that day. Managed to take three of them, including MacVicar, but also succeeded in dropping Blake twice in two balls. 

Hayes 61-3

Hayes are on fire at the moment 
  • Options
    Umpired my first KCL tie today.Dartford Vs Canterbury. Both get 186....

Went back to Chislehurst after and heard all about their crazy game which I better not write about...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Went back to Chislehurst after and heard all about their crazy game which I better not write about...
    You tease Pedro!
  • Options

Hayes 61-3

Hayes 61-3

Hayes are on fire at the moment 
    They are and it is the opposition's inability most weeks to put runs on the board and their bowling that is their strength - in five of the six matches that has been under 130.
  • Options
    We posted 238 in our 45 overs 

our skipper was out there umpiring when my 16 year old son was batting and sent this message to the group 

“Their bowler ‘he hasn’t got an angry shot in him ‘

Harry - ‘4,6’”  😂

he got a useful 22 batting at no.10 

my son umpiring also gave the skipper out lbw earlier 

We have an old fella who umpires the whole match but the oppo asked for him to be removed , don’t know why … 
    left a bad feeling 
    the old fella has trudged off home 

oppo have given 3 lbws against themselves so far 
    currently 100/4 off 20 overs 
    gonna be close 

my son opened bowling slow pies with minimal spin
    prolly 6 overs 1 for 30 
    So what was the result?
  • Options
     We won comfortably by 43 runs , they were 9 down and kept losing wickets before they could get going ,  letting the score rate tick up before pushing on to gamble when too late and my mates 14 year old son , a left arm quickish bowler making his first team debut bowled a beautiful spell of 6 overs 2 for 14 , he bats right handed and throws right handed . Weirdo 

our Pakistani didn’t play yesterday but after last weeks league duck he got 100 for our Sunday (friendly) side and retired 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Pedro45 said:

You tease Pedro!
    I'll tell what i heard once the report goes in...but the stream is on the CWK play cricket website; 8.4 overs of the CWK innings....
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

You tease Pedro!
    I'll tell what i heard once the report goes in...but the stream is on the CWK play cricket website; 8.4 overs of the CWK innings....
    Oh this is EXCELLENT. Timestamped below:

EDIT: Turns out it's not timestamped. Go to 4:58:55.

https://youtu.be/B5udh3-Utgw?t=17935 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    So the question is "did the bowler and mid off actually come to blows and were both leave the field of play as a result?"
  • Options
    It will take the forensic scientist on the Kent League Committee to ascertain precisely what was said by the bowler to the fielder to set the confrontation off but, if I were a betting man, I would suggest that it was something along the lines of "you fxxxxx useless pxxxx".
  • Options
    I mean I've done my fair share of yelling at teammates (including yesterday when kippered by an absolutely textbook "Yes...No!"), but physical altercations are completely beyond any sort of reason, what a dickhead. Rightly packed off by the look of it, given a different bowler completed the over
  • Options
    It will take the forensic scientist on the Kent League Committee to ascertain precisely what was said by the bowler to the fielder to set the confrontation off but, if I were a betting man, I would suggest that it was something along the lines of "you fxxxxx useless pxxxx".
    "Fat Cxxx" not "useless pxxx" apparently, and yes they did! :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took objectively the worst 4-fer anyone has ever taken today. Genuinely horrible: half tracker mistimed to square leg (great catch), half tracker chopped up to point (another great catch), wide one slashed up to point (dolly, poor shot), and one actually good delivery that elicited a wonderful grab at slip from a certain W Holcombe of Bickley.

Somehow only went for 30, of which a good 10 were wides.

(We won by 9 wickets and my mate hit a six to win, stranding himself on 49*. Two jugs for jug avoidance. Funny.)
  • Options
    What’s the rules with bad language these days  in the KCL ? Is it allowed , frowned upon , or punished by the umpires ? 
  • Options
    Any Bexleyheath players on here?
  • Options
    What’s the rules with bad language these days  in the KCL ? Is it allowed , frowned upon , or punished by the umpires ? 
    The KCL code IS attached. 

As umpires, we manage any abuse directed between players. If there is swearing (in frustration for instance) not aimed at another player, it's up to the individual umpires to control and/or report. Our advice is that if it can be heard over the boundary rope then it should be dealt with (first warning, final warning, report, etc).
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    The KCL code IS attached. 

As umpires, we manage any abuse directed between players. If there is swearing (in frustration for instance) not aimed at another player, it's up to the individual umpires to control and/or report. Our advice is that if it can be heard over the boundary rope then it should be dealt with (first warning, final warning, report, etc).
    Ok thanks for that. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    So the two Walmer players who decided to have a fight on the pitch have been charged with Level 4 offences and are banned pending a disciplinary meeting.

On Saturday Beckenham were awarded 5 penalty runs for unacceptable behaviour by Lordswood. As a result their overseas and their captain were charged with Level 1 offences with the former receiving a one match ban and the latter a two match ban. This is at least the fourth occasion in their six matches that Lordswood have been reported but the first time any of their players have been banned as a result of that. 
  • Options
    So the two Walmer players who decided to have a fight on the pitch have been charged with Level 4 offences and are banned pending a disciplinary meeting.

On Saturday Beckenham were awarded 5 penalty runs for unacceptable behaviour by Lordswood. As a result their overseas and their captain were charged with Level 1 offences with the former receiving a one match ban and the latter a two match ban. This is at least the fourth occasion in their six matches that Lordswood have been reported but the first time any of their players have been banned as a result of that. 
    I'm not sure that Lordswood have had players reported previously this season - how do you know about other reports?  I know for a fact that the first game did not see any players reported although the umpires were subsequently asked to write a report on what went down in that game. If any players are reported by the umpires then they get banned under the VCC; no ifs or buts...and if there is more than one incident a year then they start to get docked points too.

The behaviour of players this season (and since the Covid return) has been generally poor, and umpires are now being encouraged to be stronger and report bad behaviour that is against the spirit of cricket. As officials, we cannot complain about behaviour if we do not follow due process and report it appropriately, so the buck does stop with us.
  • Options

No shock! Lordswood have always been the same, and very welcoming to away teams!!!! 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I'm not sure that Lordswood have had players reported previously this season - how do you know about other reports?  I know for a fact that the first game did not see any players reported although the umpires were subsequently asked to write a report on what went down in that game. If any players are reported by the umpires then they get banned under the VCC; no ifs or buts...and if there is more than one incident a year then they start to get docked points too.

The behaviour of players this season (and since the Covid return) has been generally poor, and umpires are now being encouraged to be stronger and report bad behaviour that is against the spirit of cricket. As officials, we cannot complain about behaviour if we do not follow due process and report it appropriately, so the buck does stop with us.
    Following the incidents, one involving me, in the game against Bickley Park, I received a call from a member of the KCL Disciplinary Committee. No mention whatsoever was made by the Umpires in their report about the fact that Lordswood's then captain demanding that I be removed from the ground or he would take his players off the pitch. Equally, it would appear from what you are saying, that the Captain started the incident not once but twice in having a go at me from slip when I was sitting on the boundary at third man. Perhaps I should have pursued this but, also, perhaps I shouldn't have told the Umpires at tea that the Captain had come to me and apologised for his behaviour because that might have served to dilute their report.

In that game, the prior incident occurred when two players came to push and shove each other resulting in one of them ultimately jumping in his car and leaving the field of play - him leaving was reported by the Umpires but whether the pushing and shoving was is another matter. I advised the person that phoned me to look at the footage of that incident but I suspect that it had been taken down by then.

Either Lordswood or the player himself decided that this Captain would not skipper Lordswood following the Bickley game. 

When I say that players have been reported in four of the six games, the person that phoned me on that Monday informed me that this was the third time in the first four games that he had had to deal with behaviour involving Lordswood players. In addition to the Bickley game, one of the other ones involved Bexley - I, like a few others, saw the footage some of the incidents before they were taken down. The Bexley Captain mentioned four players in his report and I'm not going to say what the worst culprit was but given that person's background and experience, he really should have known better than to intimidate two youngsters making their way in the game as he was accused of doing. I also believe that Lordswood received the lowest Spirit of Cricket mark for behaviour in that game from the Umpires ever in the Kent League but no one individual was reported. Either I've been misinformed or the Umpires have failed to do their job. 

Now let's not put all the blame on the Umpires. There are times when they do have to be stronger but some of these players are absolutely masters of the way that they intimidate players. Two years ago, one such player (who no longer plays in that club and now plays in the Surrey League because no club would now touch him in the KCL for reasons not to do with cricket) walked up to my son (then 17) who was opening the batting and calmly said to him "you're a fxxxxxx cxxx" even before he had received a ball. Of course, he did so out of earshot of the Umpires and that is exactly what these players try to do. 

What is really disappointing is that the person who is now the Captain of Lordswood I thought was one of the good guys - he certainly was when Bickley played them - and I would like to think that he has been given a two match ban for failing to control his players rather than something he's done himself. But then I might well be wrong about that too!