Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    So the two Walmer players who decided to have a fight on the pitch have been charged with Level 4 offences and are banned pending a disciplinary meeting.

On Saturday Beckenham were awarded 5 penalty runs for unacceptable behaviour by Lordswood. As a result their overseas and their captain were charged with Level 1 offences with the former receiving a one match ban and the latter a two match ban. This is at least the fourth occasion in their six matches that Lordswood have been reported but the first time any of their players have been banned as a result of that. 
    I'm not sure that Lordswood have had players reported previously this season - how do you know about other reports?  I know for a fact that the first game did not see any players reported although the umpires were subsequently asked to write a report on what went down in that game. If any players are reported by the umpires then they get banned under the VCC; no ifs or buts...and if there is more than one incident a year then they start to get docked points too.

The behaviour of players this season (and since the Covid return) has been generally poor, and umpires are now being encouraged to be stronger and report bad behaviour that is against the spirit of cricket. As officials, we cannot complain about behaviour if we do not follow due process and report it appropriately, so the buck does stop with us.
    Following the incidents, one involving me, in the game against Bickley Park, I received a call from a member of the KCL Disciplinary Committee. No mention whatsoever was made by the Umpires in their report about the fact that Lordswood's then captain demanding that I be removed from the ground or he would take his players off the pitch. Equally, it would appear from what you are saying, that the Captain started the incident not once but twice in having a go at me from slip when I was sitting on the boundary at third man. Perhaps I should have pursued this but, also, perhaps I shouldn't have told the Umpires at tea that the Captain had come to me and apologised for his behaviour because that might have served to dilute their report.

In that game, the prior incident occurred when two players came to push and shove each other resulting in one of them ultimately jumping in his car and leaving the field of play - him leaving was reported by the Umpires but whether the pushing and shoving was is another matter. I advised the person that phoned me to look at the footage of that incident but I suspect that it had been taken down by then.

Either Lordswood or the player himself decided that this Captain would not skipper Lordswood following the Bickley game. 

When I say that players have been reported in four of the six games, the person that phoned me on that Monday informed me that this was the third time in the first four games that he had had to deal with behaviour involving Lordswood players. In addition to the Bickley game, one of the other ones involved Bexley - I, like a few others, saw the footage some of the incidents before they were taken down. The Bexley Captain mentioned four players in his report and I'm not going to say what the worst culprit was but given that person's background and experience, he really should have known better than to intimidate two youngsters making their way in the game as he was accused of doing. I also believe that Lordswood received the lowest Spirit of Cricket mark for behaviour in that game from the Umpires ever in the Kent League but no one individual was reported. Either I've been misinformed or the Umpires have failed to do their job. 

Now let's not put all the blame on the Umpires. There are times when they do have to be stronger but some of these players are absolutely masters of the way that they intimidate players. Two years ago, one such player (who no longer plays in that club and now plays in the Surrey League because no club would now touch him in the KCL for reasons not to do with cricket) walked up to my son (then 17) who was opening the batting and calmly said to him "you're a fxxxxxx cxxx" even before he had received a ball. Of course, he did so out of earshot of the Umpires and that is exactly what these players try to do. 

What is really disappointing is that the person who is now the Captain of Lordswood I thought was one of the good guys - he certainly was when Bickley played them - and I would like to think that he has been given a two match ban for failing to control his players rather than something he's done himself. But then I might well be wrong about that too! 

Yes, I knew about the BP incident as you had mentioned it previously, but it seems the umpires may not have reported it specifically; similarly, no "formal" report was made prior to Bexley issuing their own (but one was subsequently requested of the umpires involved).  This is where we, as umpires, need to step up, because, as you say, players will (and do) try to get away with things and if we don't report them then it will come back to bite us at another time. 

It's not just Lordswood either (a team I umpired twice last year with zero issues at all!); other teams (in all the divisions) can be just as bad. Post-covid, on and off-pitch behaviour has been much poorer!
  • Options
    I have heard that the Beckenham vs lordswood game was umpired by two non KCL umpires - had been “flown” in from Essex and Surrey. Speaking to a spectator at the match they were lucky to only have 2 x players banned. They could quite easily have had 4 or 5. Language was abysmal when addressing the batsman. 
  • Options
    Can’t wait for oohaahs report on his game yesterday.
  • Options
    I was running kids about left right and centre so missed most of the fun .
    Our top of the table firsts went to 7th ish placed Brookweald , doing my homework I looked at oppos scorecard last week and said watch out for their opener B Verma (he’d hit 56 off 29 balls the week before) as I dropped my son off to the skipper who was taking him to the away trip .
    prophetic words as I watched it unfold on play cricket whilst being a taxi service for my other runts 
    my sons pies were dutifully consumed as this fella met him with 4.4.44 663 as he was already well on his way to a 47 ball ton …
    he was brutal, a big basher …. 
    I was making my way to the ground as the innings closed their internet had gone down so I’d lost contact ..
    he went on to get 190 (his top score ) off 112 balls  and they were on 255/7 when he got out going on to get 318 in their 45 overs ….. apparently half chances missed in the 40s and 120s 
    I luckily saw my son get twatted as he was brought on for 2 more overs at the death , as he ended with 8 overs 1 for 77 only bettered by the other death bowler who went for 29 off his 2 overs .
    Spoke to the fella who got the runs , he’d been out night and strip clubbing in Brighton till 5am , although the weirdo hadn’t drunk since 6pm cos he wanted to be ‘with it’ for cricket .
    he also bowled 9 overs taking 3 for 41

we never sniffed their total when our Pakistani import departed in the 50s and a couple more 50+ meant we ended up 280/8 and slipped to second in the table .

• Options
    One way to beat Whitstable at home - take a bow Jason van Dyk: https://kcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/5094313 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    One way to beat Whitstable at home - take a bow Jason van Dyk: https://kcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/5094313 

I wonder how many spinners opt out of at trip to Whitstable!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

You say that, 6 spinners were used in the game, including one opening for Nonington! Battle of my two old clubs.. And both said the innings was very special, one of the best at the Belmont, been a number of big scores over the last few years! Not sure many saw that coming Nonington beating Whitstable!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    PaddyP17 said:

You say that, 6 spinners were used in the game, including one opening for Nonington! Battle of my two old clubs.. And both said the innings was very special, one of the best at the Belmont, been a number of big scores over the last few years! Not sure many saw that coming Nonington beating Whitstable!
    One umpire involved said he'd never seen anything like it before!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    PaddyP17 said:

There were 20 maximums in that game on Saturday as compared to just 12 in total for the five KPL games - Van Dyk alone hit 16 of them! The Belmont is a postage stamp of a ground and it's not a surprise that the average winning score there this season for the games involving the 1st and 2nd XIs, assuming the innings were to last a full 50 overs, is 321-7 which is ridiculously high. The average winning score, by comparison, for the same two sides when playing away, is 265-8 which is still probably 50 runs plus higher than in the KPL and a reflection of the fact that there are, clearly, some big hitters in those respective sides but also the fact that the bowlers find it difficult to contain them as they tend to in the top division of the Kent League.

It would be very interesting to see how the likes of Gould and Van Dyk would do in the KPL against say Tunbridge Wells at The Nevill. When Bexley played Littlebourne in the Final of the DYNO at the County Ground, Canterbury, Gould scored 23 off 11 balls before managing to find one of the only two men outside the ring on the boundary at long on - at the vast majority of other grounds that shot would have been a six. Hopefully, one day in the not too distant future we will get to see them on that stage. It's very tight at the top of Div 2 but Whitstable are currently top and could, in theory, get to the KPL in two seasons time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've found it difficult to write about Bickley's game against Bexley on Saturday purely because I have only just got to grips with the stupidity of my own son's shot in getting out - all week he's been told my his mates at this former club that they would get him out for nothing and he duly bit and fulfilled that prophecy as a result that and the chirping (nothing exceptional I should stress) on the day. Hopefully he will learn that not scoring for seven balls doesn't mean you have to play catch up in one hit!!! Think Eoin Morgan yesterday. 

In the game itself, both sides were missing players from their best side but Bexley were definitely suffering more in that respect and that wasn't helped when their number three and one of their five front line bowlers dislocated a finger while fielding which meant that he could only bowl a couple of overs. Bickley were all out for 209 in three balls short of their 50 overs but, once again, their stronger suit enabled them to win the game by 18 runs in a game which ebbed and flowed throughout.

The KPL is as competitive as it has ever been this season. Beckenham, who I had all but written off, have won their last two matches and bowled Sandwich out for 74. The Vine are now bottom but managed to tie on Saturday with Lordswood thanks to a score of 279-5 - it wasn't the country's leading CC runs scorer, Ben Compton, who was the hero because he was run out for just 2 but another Kent pro, James Logan with 68 off 57 and a boundary off the very last ball. Hayes, minus Blake and MacVicar, are not the same side and experienced their first defeat of the season to Blackheath who had Daniel Bell-Drummond in their ranks, albeit that his contribution of 28 wasn't a particularly meaningful one. Minster beat Tunbridge Wells and are now second. Which is another reason why I've struggled to write about Saturday because the prospect of them landing the title isn't one I'd like to contemplate. 
  • Options
    I've found it difficult to write about Bickley's game against Bexley on Saturday purely because I have only just got to grips with the stupidity of my own son's shot in getting out - all week he's been told my his mates at this former club that they would get him out for nothing and he duly bit and fulfilled that prophecy as a result that and the chirping (nothing exceptional I should stress) on the day. Hopefully he will learn that not scoring for seven balls doesn't mean you have to play catch up in one hit!!! Think Eoin Morgan yesterday. 

In the game itself, both sides were missing players from their best side but Bexley were definitely suffering more in that respect and that wasn't helped when their number three and one of their five front line bowlers dislocated a finger while fielding which meant that he could only bowl a couple of overs. Bickley were all out for 209 in three balls short of their 50 overs but, once again, their stronger suit enabled them to win the game by 18 runs in a game which ebbed and flowed throughout.

The KPL is as competitive as it has ever been this season. Beckenham, who I had all but written off, have won their last two matches and bowled Sandwich out for 74. The Vine are now bottom but managed to tie on Saturday with Lordswood thanks to a score of 279-5 - it wasn't the country's leading CC runs scorer, Ben Compton, who was the hero because he was run out for just 2 but another Kent pro, James Logan with 68 off 57 and a boundary off the very last ball. Hayes, minus Blake and MacVicar, are not the same side and experienced their first defeat of the season to Blackheath who had Daniel Bell-Drummond in their ranks, albeit that his contribution of 28 wasn't a particularly meaningful one. Minster beat Tunbridge Wells and are now second. Which is another reason why I've struggled to write about Saturday because the prospect of them landing the title isn't one I'd like to contemplate. 
    It's going to be an interesting second half of the season, because, as you say, it's quite competitive.

Beckenham now have David Moody bowling quite fast for them, and that has led to a resurgence following their lowest ebb losing at Sidcup in the T20. TWells, Sandwich, and Bexley are all good, but beatable, and you just don't know what you are going to get with Lordswood, BP or The Vine.  Blackheath have good bowlers but not so good batters, and Minster just roll along. Hayes, with Blake and McVicar are very good, but not so good without them both. Can Hayes win enough games to stay at the top? It's gonna be close!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I've told this story before but, for those that missed it first time round, I once deliberately did  what Jaiswal achieved here in a club game in protest at the opposition who, despite knowing that they were much weaker in a friendly game, elected to bat and ended up 58 all out. It was worth every minute of the abuse I received from their keeper and slips. I counted every ball just so I could raise my bat once I got to 50. I finished 2 not out which, unfortunately, came as a result of an edge through the slips. I regret to this day not turning those runs down!

• Options
    I've told this story before but, for those that missed it first time round, I once deliberately did  what Jaiswal achieved here in a club game in protest at the opposition who, despite knowing that they were much weaker in a friendly game, elected to bat and ended up 58 all out. It was worth every minute of the abuse I received from their keeper and slips. I counted every ball just so I could raise my bat once I got to 50. I finished 2 not out which, unfortunately, came as a result of an edge through the slips. I regret to this day not turning those runs down!

Lol.
    I once opened with a guy who attacked everything with a typical West Indian style flashing blade.
    we were chasing just 120 and it soon become apparent from messages from our scorer that he had a chance of hitting a ton. I shut up shop when we needed about 30 to win and he needed about 25 for his ton.
    Closing in on the win and his ton, he took a single on the fifth ball of an over leaving him on 98 and us needing 4 to win. Last ball of the over comes down and I edge it down to third man and we obviously refused the run. Unfortunately it nutmegged the third man and went for 4, leaving me 15no and my partner 98no.
    He was none too pleased to say the least.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Nutmegged the third man? Sounds like an act of deliberate malice on the part of the fielder tbh
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Nutmegged the third man? Sounds like an act of deliberate malice on the part of the fielder tbh
    That might be a difficult one to argue in a Court of Law - I've won more bets than I've lost, when keeping and playing 3rd XI cricket, with first slip that the ball would be the winner. Third man is, after all, a position to hide your worst fielder at that level. That said, I played with one chap who was the worst ground fielder I have ever had the pleasure to play with but who was capable of taking exceptional catches - he would just get his hands and feet in the wrong place when trying to stop a ball.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The bright side is at least that the other opener would of course have to buy two jugs, for jug avoidance.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:
    The bright side is at least that the other opener would of course have to buy two jugs, for jug avoidance.
    Standard was more village green fat f@ckers than league and it didn’t look deliberate.
    The other opener bought one jug and I was harshly fined one jug for preventing the second jug for the ton despite my protests that it should’ve been the third man.
  • Options

He actually went on to score 181

is there some backstory to why they didn’t declare during their 2nd innings 

• Options
    The backstory is that they didn't have to - games, if drawn, are decided on first innings scores in the Ranji
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    The backstory is that they didn't have to - games, if drawn, are decided on first innings scores in the Ranji
    Thanks. Sounds a bit crap to me 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Two more KCL reports this week - Captain and player from St Lawrence & Highland Court. Level 1. Not sure what happened but player was LBW for 0, and may have contributed? Also three level 1 reports on KRCL website from last week, all involving Blackheath players (two of whom were given out LBW in the game involved)!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Pedro45 said:
    Two more KCL reports this week - Captain and player from St Lawrence & Highland Court. Level 1. Not sure what happened but player was LBW for 0, and may have contributed? Also three level 1 reports on KRCL website from last week, all involving Blackheath players (two of whom were given out LBW in the game involved)!
    The player I think who is in question, is a bit of a baby.. He has actually walked off the field before and refused to play.. We played against him in a KVL game, we batted first, and recieved bouncer after bouncer, on a pitch that had a bit of pace to it, nothing unnormal.. We made 200 odd from our 40 overs. When they come to bat, our bowler returned the favour of a couple of early bouncer, which then they decided to walk off, and blame the pitch!
    St Lawrence & Highland Court CC (play-cricket.com)

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Pedro45 said:
    The player I think who is in question, is a bit of a baby.. He has actually walked off the field before and refused to play.. We played against him in a KVL game, we batted first, and recieved bouncer after bouncer, on a pitch that had a bit of pace to it, nothing unnormal.. We made 200 odd from our 40 overs. When they come to bat, our bowler returned the favour of a couple of early bouncer, which then they decided to walk off, and blame the pitch!

Well he was only about 14 at the time, but I see what you mean.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Pedro45 said:

Well he was only about 14 at the time, but I see what you mean.
    He was 16-17 then.. 
  • Options
    My fears about Minster winning the KPL continue to manifest themselves. They thrashed Bexley yesterday in chasing down the opposition total of 166 with 27 overs to spare. Hayes are still top but do rely on those two or three players and their absence will cost them dearly whereas Minster, with all bar their keeper having played 2s cricket and half of the side either current or former First Class cricketers, have sufficient depth. 

Two performances that caught the eye from Division 1. Some bloke called Darren Stevens hit 158 not out off 115 balls (13 fours and 7 sixes) for St Lawrence against Dartford though he is clearly still injured because he did not bowl. Jaryd Lysaught, an Australian all rounder, smashed 89 not out off 30 balls for Canterbury (4 fours and 10 sixes) against the then top of the table Holmesdale. Such is the nature of that division, Holmesdale have now slipped to 4th as a result of this defeat and just 15 points separate the top five.
  • Options
    My fears about Minster winning the KPL continue to manifest themselves. They thrashed Bexley yesterday in chasing down the opposition total of 166 with 27 overs to spare. Hayes are still top but do rely on those two or three players and their absence will cost them dearly whereas Minster, with all bar their keeper having played 2s cricket and half of the side either current or former First Class cricketers, have sufficient depth. 

Two performances that caught the eye from Division 1. Some bloke called Darren Stevens hit 158 not out off 115 balls (13 fours and 7 sixes) for St Lawrence against Dartford though he is clearly still injured because he did not bowl. Jaryd Lysaught, an Australian all rounder, smashed 89 not out off 30 balls for Canterbury (4 fours and 10 sixes) against the then top of the table Holmesdale. Such is the nature of that division, Holmesdale have now slipped to 4th as a result of this defeat and just 15 points separate the top five.
    Interesting that the two sides promoted last year are making the running this year, and two of the long time established sides are struggling at the bottom of the table. 
  • Options
    The stalwart came to Bickley from St Lawrence and Highland Court many years ago and parented 3 sons who at one time all played together in Bickleys first team. Lovely bloke and will be muched missed . Minster are the classic team with money that attract top quality players  who presumably appreciate the opportunity to coach the less fortunate or young members for, no doubt, an honorarium or expenses in the bracing sea air of the Isle of Sheppy. If only all Clubs could attract 10 or so County standard players. It all seemingly  ends in tears , Bromley and Hartley spring to mind.  Roebucks are forging a similar path alledgedly.
  • Options
    How did the PCA game go yesterday at Bexley ?