Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Hearing lots of reports of teas no longer being provided on Saturdays ? If this is the case it’s a pretty poor show 
  • Options
    From this weekend, is this really the depths to which club cricket has sunk - when a man is dragged across the pitch and beaten with an iron bar and a small child has to run away from the scene in terror.

My God ...!!!!!!

• Options
    Hearing lots of reports of teas no longer being provided on Saturdays ? If this is the case it’s a pretty poor show 
    I think they have been restored post covid at the higher levels but I just bring some fruit, a bit of salad in tupperware,and water ..funny enough I dt miss cricket teas ..I thought I would 
  • Options
    Who leaves their teammate to be dragged off and battered like that ?

They should all be piling into those fellas 
  • Options
    And here's a youngster demonstrating a far better outcome:

• Options
    @Addick Addict hope Krishna is okay - my vice skip ran into him in A&E. Rory split his webbing but sounds like your man got a toe cruncher and also wore one in the face while fielding! Ah no.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    @Addick Addict hope Krishna is okay - my vice skip ran into him in A&E. Rory split his webbing but sounds like your man got a toe cruncher and also wore one in the face while fielding! Ah no.
    Thanks @PaddyP17. I haven't had an update but he did, bravely, finish the game. The second incident was the worst as he split his lip as a result of a drive rearing off the edge of the artificial strip and hitting him in the mouth. Hopefully he will be able to play next week.

As for the game, I can only say that it was an occasion where, at several points, we were all over Minster - only to lose it and that was without our two strike bowlers too (Max Luckett and Dan Magin), a hobbling Elliot Hooper as a result of an injury sustained while batting and the aforementioned Krish having to deal with blood pouring from his mouth. That's four of Bickley's normal bowling attack. 

Bickley won the toss and batted. At the half way stage we were 122-2 with a platform to get us to 250 and quite possibly substantially more. Then the usual collapse with three LBWS, all from players sweeping on a deck of inconsistent bounce - none could have any complaints - and we limped to 203. A par score for Bickley but one that was always going to be difficult to defend against Minster on a ground with short boundaries and a fast outfield.

Imagine having Minster 8-3 then and those three being Ed Moore (S Africa A), Sean Irvine (Zimbabwe) and James Thompson (one of the best all time all rounders in the Kent League). Unfortunately Joe Parry and Nijjar (Essex) steadied the ship but when I say "steady" that is what I do mean to the extent that Minster crawled to 42-3 off 21 overs. Bit by bit, however, those two took a stranglehold on the game and they started to become immovable objects. Parry isn't a spectacular batsman but a stubborn accumulator and was eventually out for 70 off 120 balls (just four boundaries) and Nijjar was there at the end for 97 not out off 140 balls. Minster won by 6 wickets with 4 balls to spare. The one that got away for Bickley! 

Hayes won too (thanks partially to a ton from Blake) and one point separates them from Minster with a 25 point gap to Blackheath. Beckenham look likely candidates for the drop but there is going to be a real dogfight for that other relegation spot with just 20 points separating the next five teams - so much so that there could be an precedented situation where a team goes down with as many as seven wins to their name.  

• Options
    I did the Blackheath vs Sandwich game. Blackheath were pretty much in control throughout against an under strength Town who don't travel very well. ST did get to 223 off their 50 overs thanks mainly to a dogged rearguard 52* from Dave Grant, whose Aussie girlfriend had just flown in (so I guess he didn't want to disturb her jetlag!).  Blackheath got through the first few overs then built into the game from three down at halfway, with Tanwar Sikander missing out on a deserved ton falling two short with victory in sight. They dragged it out until the last over but never really looked troubled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Thanks @PaddyP17. I haven't had an update but he did, bravely, finish the game. The second incident was the worst as he split his lip as a result of a drive rearing off the edge of the artificial strip and hitting him in the mouth. Hopefully he will be able to play next week.

As for the game, I can only say that it was an occasion where, at several points, we were all over Minster - only to lose it and that was without our two strike bowlers too (Max Luckett and Dan Magin), a hobbling Elliot Hooper as a result of an injury sustained while batting and the aforementioned Krish having to deal with blood pouring from his mouth. That's four of Bickley's normal bowling attack. 

Bickley won the toss and batted. At the half way stage we were 122-2 with a platform to get us to 250 and quite possibly substantially more. Then the usual collapse with three LBWS, all from players sweeping on a deck of inconsistent bounce - none could have any complaints - and we limped to 203. A par score for Bickley but one that was always going to be difficult to defend against Minster on a ground with short boundaries and a fast outfield.

Imagine having Minster 8-3 then and those three being Ed Moore (S Africa A), Sean Irvine (Zimbabwe) and James Thompson (one of the best all time all rounders in the Kent League). Unfortunately Joe Parry and Nijjar (Essex) steadied the ship but when I say "steady" that is what I do mean to the extent that Minster crawled to 42-3 off 21 overs. Bit by bit, however, those two took a stranglehold on the game and they started to become immovable objects. Parry isn't a spectacular batsman but a stubborn accumulator and was eventually out for 70 off 120 balls (just four boundaries) and Nijjar was there at the end for 97 not out off 140 balls. Minster won by 6 wickets with 4 balls to spare. The one that got away for Bickley! 

Hayes won too (thanks partially to a ton from Blake) and one point separates them from Minster with a 25 point gap to Blackheath. Beckenham look likely candidates for the drop but there is going to be a real dogfight for that other relegation spot with just 20 points separating the next five teams - so much so that there could be an precedented situation where a team goes down with as many as seven wins to their name.  

I'm doing the Beckenham vs BP game next week which is a real six pointer for both teams IMO. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    When you turn up for a club game and you sort of recognise one of the players and that bowler comes on as 6th bowler. As one bloke is heard saying (I assume one of the scorers) "me, I'd take guard, turn around and walk off!!!" Some of the footage has to be seen -

First ball the keeper can't sop and it goes for 4 byes
    Second delivery, the batsman (who is on 42 off 24) jumps in the air so the ball misses him!
    Third ball - another 4 byes
    Fourth - the batsman jumps back but manages to get bat on ball and sprints to the other end to get off strike
    The number 9 comes in and hits the bowler for two 4s and two 6s at the same time as shaking hands with the square leg Umpire!
    The bowler finishes with 5-1-24-5 with 20 of those runs coming from those four hits from the number 9

My Durham spy (actually it's via a mate of Seb's who was at the DLCA in the winter) says that the opposition had no idea that this bowler was going to be playing and were absolutely fuming when they saw him! Don't know about "fuming" - their batsmen looked petrified!

He come on to bowl at 4:46:10 on the footage:

https://ashington.play-cricket.com/website/results/5024606
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I'm doing the Beckenham vs BP game next week which is a real six pointer for both teams IMO. 
    Look forward to catching up with you then - providing Seb is playing of course!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Update - Krish's brother is a Doctor and it was him that insisted that he went to hospital. They duly put stiches in but he didn't get home 'til 5.15am. Hope Rory is back playing soon too though a split webbing sounds like he may be out for a dew weeks.
  • Options
    Many on here will know or know of Andrew Tutt, a big Charlton fan and who was a big part of Hartley and their success in the KPL. Tutty was one of the main people responsible for the KCL reducing the number of overs a bowler can bowl because, especially in his early days at RACS, he regularly used to bowl all 25 from one end at less than two an over!

Tutty is in his 50s now but is back playing for Hartley, having been out through injury for a number of years. Against Stonehouse CC on Saturday in Division 6A of the Kent Village League, he returned quite remarkable figures of 8-8-0-7, taking out the opposition's top seven and reducing them to 11-7!!!!

If you happen to be reading this Tutty, congratulations! For those that are interested, here is the link to the card:

https://hartley.play-cricket.com/website/results/4995359
    Gosh, I hope he's not playing next Wednesday!
  • Options
    He's an absolute legend of Kent league cricket 
  • Options
    Amazing! I still possess an old scorebook from a junior match in 1978 (!) where he took 7 wickets for 1 run against my team. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    AshBurton said:
    Amazing! I still possess an old scorebook from a junior match in 1978 (!) where he took 7 wickets for 1 run against my team. 

In addition to that 8-8-0-7, he's also returned 8-6-6-5 and 7-4-4-2 with his overall League figures of 51.2-26-96-20.

It's very difficult to argue that a 54 year old shouldn't be playing that standard of cricket but, clearly, he is still far, far, too good to be playing at that level. Good luck to him especially having to come back as he has from injury after five years.
  • Options
    What does he bowl? Guessing slow left-arm...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Not quite. Used to be right arm medium, on the spot and on a string. I suspect it's right arm slow medium, still on the spot and on a string now. 
  • Options
    Here's a thing. I wonder what sort of team, on a fictional basis of course, the contributors to this thread could put together? What might the balance of the team be? 

Anyway, I would score and I'm sure @Pedro45 would use his considerable experience to umpire. On the playing front do we have any  volunteers/nominations?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Not quite. Used to be right arm medium, on the spot and on a string. I suspect it's right arm slow medium, still on the spot and on a string now. 
    Bosh him back over his head, simple. Maybe a Dilscoop or two 
  • Options
    Here's a thing. I wonder what sort of team, on a fictional basis of course, the contributors to this thread could put together? What might the balance of the team be? 

Anyway, I would score and I'm sure @Pedro45 would use his considerable experience to umpire. On the playing front do we have any  volunteers/nominations?
    I'd happily play in a one off game, but can't commit to playing for an actual team (otherwise I would probably be playing either locally here in Sittingbourne, for one of the lower Dartford XIs or even had an invite to Horton Kirby a few years ago)
  • Options

I'd happily play in a one off game, but can't commit to playing for an actual team (otherwise I would probably be playing either locally here in Sittingbourne, for one of the lower Dartford XIs or even had an invite to Horton Kirby a few years ago)
    Thanks Andy. As I say it is fictional but I have you down as opening the bowling!
  • Options

Thanks Andy. As I say it is fictional but I have you down as opening the bowling!
    Ha! Didn't do that very often, first change me ;)
  • Options

Ha! Didn't do that very often, first change me ;)
    In the land of the blind and unless we have any opening bowling candidates, you are the King of pace! We might, of course, though and depending on whether we bat first or second, open with spin one end. 
  • Options
    We definitely need a sledger or two - subtle of course and nothing to get on the wrong side of the Umpires with. Reckon Leuth and Oohaah might fit the bill. 
  • Options
    I just want @oohaahmortimer to do the match report. 

Might have to have NSFW  marker on it. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I just want @oohaahmortimer to do the match report. 

Might have to have NSFW  marker on it. 
    Yeah definitely.
    I think he taxis his kids about to matches so can pick anyone up who’s struggling for transport and also be on hand to take me to A&E as if comebacks go to form, I’ll injure myself just putting the boundary markers out.