Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Same old, same old for Bickley Park. It's like a broken record. Batted first - 167 all out (Seb was batted well until he was stumped by half the length of the pitch for 26) and Sandwich got them with more than 13 overs to go. 

Bickley are now in the relegation zone and need to win at least two of their remaining four fixtures to stay up starting next week against Hayes - who are top and somehow have the only contracted Kent player turning out for them less than 24 hours before he is due to play in a County game. 
  • Options
    Same old, same old for Bickley Park. It's like a broken record. Batted first - 167 all out (Seb was batted well until he was stumped by half the length of the pitch for 26) and Sandwich got them with more than 13 overs to go. 

Bickley are now in the relegation zone and need to win at least two of their remaining four fixtures to stay up starting next week against Hayes - who are top and somehow have the only contracted Kent player turning out for them less than 24 hours before he is due to play in a County game. 
    Maybe I can work my top-of-the-table charm on Hayes as I did with Minster yesterday!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Very happy for our 4s, but I did have 4 catches dropped off my bowling in 5 overs - 3 dollies - so I'll save the celebratory mood for next week when I'm probably back in the 4s for not being able to bowl balls that fielders can catch 
    Make that 4 overs. Add in the two that dollied up between fielders. Just absolutely raging still. Plus if I hadn't let the frustration get to me and bowled a completely avoidable drag-down with the final ball, it would have still been 4 overs for 17, which is fine. Christ, that one bat got 92 for like fucking 7 or 8
  • Options
    Is the Ben Dawkins that scored 100 for Tun Wells in the prem yesterday the 15 year old Sevenoaks Schoolboy ? If so what a performance !! 
  • Options
    Is the Ben Dawkins that scored 100 for Tun Wells in the prem yesterday the 15 year old Sevenoaks Schoolboy ? If so what a performance !! 
    It is and two games ago he was playing for their 3s! Presumably the reason he's only played half a dozen games or so for them this season is because Sevenoaks School insists he plays for them on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Maybe I can work my top-of-the-table charm on Hayes as I did with Minster yesterday!
    Hope all is OK with you as, sadly, you weren't there to work that charm after all.

The game itself revolved around the performance of one player. Blakey! At 124-2 off 34 overs Bickley had an element of control. Blakey was on 28 and no real signs that he was about to unleash his wand! Roll forward 16 overs and Hayes finished their innings on 277-4. They made 84 off the final 5 overs and the main man finished on 133 not out. Absolute carnage with balls flying everywhere!

Bickley had their usual start at 41-3 but were actually in it all the time Saf Imitiaz was at the crease but when he got out for a run a ball 89 all was lost and they limped to 215-7.

So the situation is getting somewhat difficult for Bickley now. They have three games left - Bexley, Blackheath and the Vine and did beat the first two earlier in the season. They do need to win one more game than Sandwich do in their remaining games and given that the boys from the coast would expect to turnover Beckenham (two wins all season) that would mean that Bickley would have to win two of those three games. No easy task but it's not over 'til I have had that sex change operation and start singing!

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Hope all is OK with you as, sadly, you weren't there to work that charm after all.

The game itself revolved around the performance of one player. Blakey! At 124-2 off 34 overs Bickley had an element of control. Blakey was on 28 and no real signs that he was about to unleash his wand! Roll forward 16 overs and Hayes finished their innings on 277-4. They made 84 off the final 5 overs and the main man finished on 133 not out. Absolute carnage with balls flying everywhere!

Bickley had their usual start at 41-3 but were actually in it all the time Saf Imitiaz was at the crease but when he got out for a run a ball 89 all was lost and they limped to 215-7.

So the situation is getting somewhat difficult for Bickley now. They have three games left - Bexley, Blackheath and the Vine and did beat the first two earlier in the season. They do need to win one more game than Sandwich do in their remaining games and given that the boys from the coast would expect to turnover Beckenham (two wins all season) that would mean that Bickley would have to win two of those three games. No easy task but it's not over 'til I have had that sex change operation and start singing!

Yea, sorry. For the first time ever I had to drop out of a game due to illness - covid symptoms but testing negative.  Was poorly all weekend and didn't go out or have a beer at all!

Tough times for BP, but all games are winnable in this league! Bat first at Bexley and you can win, as it takes spin later on; The Heath's batting is very one dimensional; and the Vine are very reliant on their skipper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Yea, sorry. For the first time ever I had to drop out of a game due to illness - covid symptoms but testing negative.  Was poorly all weekend and didn't go out or have a beer at all!

Tough times for BP, but all games are winnable in this league! Bat first at Bexley and you can win, as it takes spin later on; The Heath's batting is very one dimensional; and the Vine are very reliant on their skipper.
    Hope you'll be back to your best soon enough.

The Bexley game is at BP and it is interesting that Bexley have been going into games with just two seamers and four front line spinners. Jason Benn was unbelievably  unlucky on Saturday - in his first 8 overs he must have had the Hayes' batsmen playing and missing at least a dozen times and at that point he had 0-18. He finished with 10-1-51-0 and was one of the victims of Blake's late assault. As you know, he was bowling equally well before he went on his two week break and hopefully with Magin and Luckett back this week BP will have something to make Bexley think about. I don't believe it myself but there was some talk about a few of the Bexley players resting in advance of the National semi-final the next day but it would help their cause if they were to.

As you say Blackheath's batting can be ordinary at times with a reliance on two or three but with George Wells back in the fold and scoring runs it would be folly to dismiss them. The glimmer of hope, if things do get that far, is the Vine game. Hopefully, by that point the Vine are well and truly safe and Schlemmer has left for South Africa - he's never played here as far as I can see in September before. The concern is that Kent recommend to Compton to have a bat in advance of the CC match starting the following week as he might not have been to the crease of some ten days - and he scored a ton against BP earlier in the season.

The biggest nightmare scenario of all will be this - we get to the final match and for the first time this season the games are all rained off with BP still second bottom but potentially entertaining a Vine with nothing to play for and with Sandwich away to Hayes. You heard it here first!
  • Options
    I hope you're a false Prophet of Doom!!
  • Options
    I hope you're a false Prophet of Doom!!
    I certainly do too!
  • Options
    Jake Weatherald, is a South Australia and Adelaide Strikers player who Seb played against last season in the South Australia League. He is, however, currently playing for Barnsley Wool Miners CC in the Yorkshire Cricket Southern Premier League.

At the weekend his team played Whiston Parish Church. Weatherald opened the batting and was out in the 40th over of a 50 over game. For 270. Off 107 balls that included 17 fours and 27 sixes. His side made 512-9 but only managed to win, in a tightly contested affair, by 333 runs! That takes Weatherald to 1815 runs for the season from 29 innings at an average of 72.60 and that includes three ducks!

https://bwmcc.play-cricket.com/website/results/5030913   
  • Options
    Jake Weatherald, is a South Australia and Adelaide Strikers player who Seb played against last season in the South Australia League. He is, however, currently playing for Barnsley Wool Miners CC in the Yorkshire Cricket Southern Premier League.

At the weekend his team played Whiston Parish Church. Weatherald opened the batting and was out in the 40th over of a 50 over game. For 270. Off 107 balls that included 17 fours and 27 sixes. His side made 512-9 but only managed to win, in a tightly contested affair, by 333 runs! That takes Weatherald to 1815 runs for the season from 29 innings at an average of 72.60 and that includes three ducks!

https://bwmcc.play-cricket.com/website/results/5030913   
    With the brilliantly named "Owen Struggles" bowling to him too! Plus he took three catches and got a wicket himself....
  • Options
    So I'm back at Bickley Park this week for the Bexley game....
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    It's not often that a team can "enjoy" yet another defeat but a better performance and results elsewhere actually meant that Bickley Park ended up in a better position than they were at the start of the day.

Bexley won the toss and duly elected to bat. The openers and particularly Aldred played very well 'til he was called for a single by his partner until the point that he failed to make his ground thanks to a pick up and throw by Seb for a run a ball 38. Haley joined Evans (who eventually was out for 65) and if the latter was the anchor then the former was the aggressor in helping himself to 107. A quickfire 38 from Stiddard and Bexley ended up with 266-4 off their 50. 

Yet another opening pairing for Bickley was tried and the Smith/Singh combo set a solid base of 57 'til Singh was out for 37. But then Bickley lost their number three almost immediately afterwards  and while they were always just about in the game, over by over, it gradually started slipping, over by over, away. Eventually, Seb was last man out (run out) for a run a ball 42 with Bickley 235 all out. A defeat by 31 runs but still maximum batting points. 

This defeat was massively offset, however, by the news that bottom of the table, Beckenham, had won at Sandwich. The associated bonus points from the two games have resulted in there just being three points between Bickley (Blackheath and Sevenoaks Vine to play) and Sandwich (Lordswood and Hayes). Who goes down could well go the very last week. 
  • Options
    And at the top of the Table both Hayes and Minster lost , which was an opportunity squandered for both sides. 
    A win for Hayes vs Beckenham next week if Minster lose away at Bexley would see 
    Hayes crowned champions. 
  • Options
    Caught some of the Hayes game after turning up early to our 3rd XI match. Hayes' opening bowler who wasn't MacVicar was a surprisingly portly lad who served up a surprising quantity of rubbish. Certainly didn't look like a Kent Prem-winning opening bowler, but may well transpire to be one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Caught some of the Hayes game after turning up early to our 3rd XI match. Hayes' opening bowler who wasn't MacVicar was a surprisingly portly lad who served up a surprising quantity of rubbish. Certainly didn't look like a Kent Prem-winning opening bowler, but may well transpire to be one 
    Think the Kent Prem Winning components are Blake and MacVicar……
  • Options
    I notice that the entire Hayes middle order including those two was out lbw. Umpires not afraid to give the big dogs out 
  • Options
    I also notice that the Tunbridge Wells opener played the innings of his life against Minster
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Stuart Eddicott then, a very fine bowler indeed based on my limited experience of facing him in a 2s match 5 years ago (he was just coming back from injury and went straight back to the 1s after that match). 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Stuart Eddicott then, a very fine bowler indeed based on my limited experience of facing him in a 2s match 5 years ago (he was just coming back from injury and went straight back to the 1s after that match). 
    Bickley hosted Hayes in the QF of the Kent T20 and were well and truly stuffed by the visitors. They opened the bowling with MacVicar and Blake and held Eddicott back but he still managed to return figures of 4-0-12-3 including trapping Seb LBW. He is deceptive but also probably reaps the benefit of opening the other end to MacVicar in the KPL, given the pressure the scoreboard pressure that MacVicar creates.

Oh and from what I understand his nickname is "The Tank". Can't think why! 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Must have been an off-day! 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I went to see Bexley play in the National cup semi final against Potterne today. Bexley did what Bexley do and won by 60 odd runs. Some good batting by Evans, Stiddard and Ball took them up to 244 in 40 overs and then they spun their spinny web to wear the oppo down through Foster, Riley and Patel, plus Evans who got four wickets. A Lords final beckons in three weeks time...
  • Options
    There's nothing like a good, tight, competitive game!

https://stjohnscc.play-cricket.com/website/results/5300390
  • Options
    This in our first teams league I mean I can’t believe it happened 

216 to win and on 207-4 and 215-5 ….. a tie wtf 😳 

https://midessexcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/5266259
  • Options
    edited August 2022

On an aside. Sam Meadows got some dirt on the skipper to get 9 overs? #tonup