Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Badgers and Foxes

Comments

• Options

bobmunro said:

On our land, and surrounding land we have badgers, foxes, squirrels, rabbits, bats (in our roof!) and just about every native species of bird, including buzzards that are majestic as they prowl the skies overhead with crows buzzing them to try to scare them off.

It's like living in a zoo!! But I'm not complaining.

most evenings when I walk the dogs I see a bird of prey circling overhead (probably buzzards as they are the most common bird of prey in the south east) and I watch as they stalk their prey from on high before swooping in for the kill. It really is a sight to see. I look across the open countryside towards Eastbourne and the South Downs and think how lucky I am.

I thank my lucky stars also - living where I do (and it sounds like you have similar) is a long way from Woolwich!!
  • Options
    don't think I've ever seen a live wild Badger before. seen loads of Foxes though.

I've also seen quite a few Hedgehogs. usually get a couple nesting nearby and they come into the garden every now and then. funny little things who when startled can make a run for it at some pace.
  • Options

don't think I've ever seen a live wild Badger before. seen loads of Foxes though.

I've also seen quite a few Hedgehogs. usually get a couple nesting nearby and they come into the garden every now and then. funny little things who when startled can make a run for it at some pace.

We came across a hedgehog on the beach in Turkey one evening last year. Was the last place we expected to see one.
  • Options
    I have an appreciation of nature but I can't say I like Foxes. Part of that reason is that one got a couple of chickens of mine a few years ago. They also make a mess on the lawns and rip open bins etc.

I feed a stray cat and one that has a home that pops over to my garden every evening for the car treats that I leave out. I think that the fox helps itself to the cat food from time to time. None of the foxes I have seen here look hungry. I found a dead fox in my garden a few months ago. It was massive - looked as big, and as well fed, as a puppy Labrador. I suspect that many of my neighbors feed the foxes.

Apart from the the foxes we also get squirrels and rats - loads of rats. There is a lot of wildlife here as we are, basically, in the grounds of Moat Park.
  • Options

A fox has just started visiting our garden and the cats are looking a bit stressed. Has anyone had any fox/cat encounters? How can I persuade Mr Fox to depart... maybe to Sheffield?

My cat chases off the local foxes, really worried me at first but he goes out there and faces them down. He's little, so guessing it's Napoleon Syndrome!

Sorry, i know that doesn't help you.

@MuttleyCAFC where was this experience, sounds excellent?
  • Options

A fox has just started visiting our garden and the cats are looking a bit stressed. Has anyone had any fox/cat encounters? How can I persuade Mr Fox to depart... maybe to Sheffield?

My cat chases off the local foxes, really worried me at first but he goes out there and faces them down. He's little, so guessing it's Napoleon Syndrome!

Yes, years ago when I had a cat it used to stand its ground with the foxes. Foxes might be sly but I don't think they have the fighting prowess of a feline. Cats, small and big, are very quick and nimble. Foxes are sly but I think they will avoid a confrontation at all costs.
  • Options

Fill up bottles with water and leave them scattered around your garden.

Or, urinate at points where you think they may be entering or exiting your garden.
  • Options
    Can I add herons to the list.

The sight of one perching on the cabin roof at the bottom of our garden is amazing.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I live 50 meters from Trossley country park in Vigo near Meopham. Im lucky enough that I work fairly local and get to walk my dog every morning in the woods of the park, I've seen and heard some wonderful stuff, especially in the early morning, sometimes badgers and their cubs are out, as soon as they see or catch a whiff of me and the dog, they scurry down their setts. Rabbits are bloody everywhere. Seen a few Adders as well.
    One sound I always love to hear is when the Woodpeckers fly in around late march early April, the bloody row they make smashing away at the trees is quality, also a local farmer told me that whenever you hear a woodpecker, it never snows. And he's right.
    Late at night we get loads of foxes and Badgers wandering across the roads. I was going home last week about 1am after playing a gig, drove round the corner and their was a male and female fox and about 5 cubs in the road, we were told to sound the horn (animals run from noise) so I did that and all but one cub ran into the woods, the other one legged it the wrong way, realised his mistake turned round and ran under the wheels of my car. I stopped and took a look but the little fella was mashed, proper upset me that did.
  • Options

We came across a hedgehog on the beach in Turkey one evening last year. Was the last place we expected to see one.
    Come in from Syria
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm going to add in that there are deer in the woods across the road from us and bucket loads of pheasants around, funnily enough seem to less on a Monday after weekend's shooting.
  • Options
    Pheasants are freaking idiots. so many times ive had to slow down in the car while they amble across the road completely oblivious they could easily get run over.
  • Options

22 WMR lead asprin
  • Options
    A real 'wild' badger that comes to human habitat where it is given food

In these troubled times, I would like to share a beautiful moment I had last night. My wife through a friend organised a visit to a special glass fronted hut where you could observe badgers. We got there at about 8 o'clock and it was quite noisy with the bird song. We say a very young fox walk by and a few rabbits. Then as it got darker the birds got quieter then silent, and the badgers came out. Food is left infront of the hut and of course the animals know this. To see a wild beautiful animal like a badger - not in a zoo but in it's natural habitat was a thing of beauty. They could not see us but we could see them up close. It was so relaxing - with life bustling around them, to be part of this oasis of nature.

Then we saw a beautiful fox. What a majestic wonderful creature. We are so fortunate to have these beautiful creatures in this country. I reccomend the experience.

so natural it goes to a place where it has learned to rely on food given to it by humans.
    Like a zoo perhaps ?
  • Options

Yes, years ago when I had a cat it used to stand its ground with the foxes. Foxes might be sly but I don't think they have the fighting prowess of a feline. Cats, small and big, are very quick and nimble. Foxes are sly but I think they will avoid a confrontation at all costs.
    Back when I lived in The Cronx, I had a white cat who was ridiculously timid around everybody except me and the ex - but he was a mean little shit to the local wildlife. Regularly came home to find bits of things strewn all over the floor, decapitated rats, squirrels in jigsaw form and once - memorably - a baby heron stuck halfway through the cat flap. He used to chase foxes all the time - fucking lunatic. If a fox was ever cornered by a cat it would rip its head off, but cats just don't care.
  • Options

Doesn't surprise any of us.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

A real 'wild' badger that comes to human habitat where it is given food

In these troubled times, I would like to share a beautiful moment I had last night. My wife through a friend organised a visit to a special glass fronted hut where you could observe badgers. We got there at about 8 o'clock and it was quite noisy with the bird song. We say a very young fox walk by and a few rabbits. Then as it got darker the birds got quieter then silent, and the badgers came out. Food is left infront of the hut and of course the animals know this. To see a wild beautiful animal like a badger - not in a zoo but in it's natural habitat was a thing of beauty. They could not see us but we could see them up close. It was so relaxing - with life bustling around them, to be part of this oasis of nature.

Then we saw a beautiful fox. What a majestic wonderful creature. We are so fortunate to have these beautiful creatures in this country. I reccomend the experience.

so natural it goes to a place where it has learned to rely on food given to it by humans.
    Like a zoo perhaps ?
    I suppose, but it is as natural as you can get. They are oblivious to the fact you are there.
  • Options
    I'd like to get hold of the bastard fox who sh*ts on my lawn every night for the kids to step into.

any deterrents that I could use welcome...
  • Options

I'd like to get hold of the bastard fox who sh*ts on my lawn every night for the kids to step into.

any deterrents that I could use welcome...

want to borrow my cat?
  • Options
    we had 2 cats up until about 6 months ago, but they were useless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both foxes and badgers visit my mother's garden. Last year the vixen had 5 cubs which were a delight to watch, playing on the lawn in the late afternoon.
    Just wish there was a way to stop the badgers digging holes in said lawn - think they are looking for nuts buried by the squirrels.
  • Options

So true.

I see plenty of foxes where I live in West London but they're all skinny and not as majestic as their country cousins.

So nice to have a thread, where the topic isn't about hunting, killing and culling these beautiful creatures.

We should treat our natural animal inhabitants with respect!
  • Options
    We get bats in our back garden, my more observant neighbour tells me.
  • Options

We get bats in our back garden, my more observant neighbour tells me.

They're just jealous that your In-Laws get invited to the monthly BBQ and they dont
  • Options

Piss over your boundary fences.

(seriously it's meant to work, you could always piss in a jug & then pour it).
  • Options

You can guarantee that after this, the fox would've left a deposit on the trampoline.
  • Options
    A few years ago I was out pigeon shooting with my father in law - we found a nice spot on the edge of some woods, and we set the decoys out and waited, with my father in law on the other side of the field

After about 10 mins he is shouting at me to watch out - I looked to my right and the biggest badger I have ever seen was charging towards me, snorting and grunting and moving surprisingly quickly

I turned to go into the woods away from him, and realised that I was in fact a short distance from a very large set - he was close now, so I took emergency action and climbed a tree (having hung the shotgun on a branch)

The badger came running up to the tree I was up, and ran round and round the bottom making very aggressive noises - I was stuck there for about 15 mins, until he disappeared down into the set

I will admit I was shitting myself (my father in law kept well away as this badger was not happy !!)

We cleared out, jumped in the land rover and ran into the farmer in another field

He says 'oh by the way forgot to say earlier, stay away from the woods by the top field, badgers have a big set there and lots of cubs - the male is a bit aggressive at the moment' !!!!

Badgers are quality - very clean family orientated animals

Can't say I am a fan of foxes - have seen what they can do many times, and can understand why they are not everyone's cup of tea
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Foxes are malicious bastards. I left my best trainers out the other night and I found a fox poo perfectly deposited in one of them. They also ripped the straps off a pair of my fiancée's expensive sandals. The worst thing though is the sound they make when they mate. It's like someone's​ slaughtering a pig with a rusty knife.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Piss over your boundary fences.

(seriously it's meant to work, you could always piss in a jug & then pour it).
    If you piss in a jug though dont leave it on the side in the kitchen.

On a hot day someone might come in from the heat and think its a nice cold jug of Apple Juice waiting to be drunk.
  • Options

Foxes are malicious bastards. I left my best trainers out the other night and I found a fox poo perfectly deposited in one of them. They also ripped the straps off a pair of my fiancée's expensive sandals. The worst thing though is the sound they make when they mate. It's like someone's​ slaughtering a pig with a rusty knife.

If you took a fox penis you'd make the same. Our women don't know how lucky they've got it!