Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying an Audi 2nd Hand

Comments

• Options
    Had my A4 for just over a year and love it. Smooth drive, build quality is excellent. Not the most exciting car but suits my needs as well as my families. The Audi Pre Sense system is toilet though. Mine goes off randomly. Had to turn it off.
  • Options
    On my third successive Audi. Had two A5 2.0TDIs when I was doing a lot of motorway driving. Now have a petrol A3. Never had any trouble with any of them. Great cars.
  • Options
    I've had 2 A6s, very rarely a problem. Servicing isn't cheap at the dealer mind, but after 5 years you might be less bothered with going there anyway.
  • Options
    Just realised 4 out of my last 5 cars have been from the VW stable.
  • Options

On my third successive Audi. Had two A5 2.0TDIs when I was doing a lot of motorway driving. Now have a petrol A3. Never had any trouble with any of them. Great cars.

Always get a 3litre diesel. More often than not has more cyclinders, more power and normally marginal losses in economy (3-4mpg).
  • Options
    My wife has an A3 from 2015 and prior to that had a 2010 one, no issues although some engines did with the chains.
  • Options
    I don't post a great deal on here as just like to read rumours/signing etc - however I know a lot about Audi's and my last 3 cars have been from them, 2 A4s (2.0 litre diesels) and now I have the 3.0 litre A5 Quattro and I must say that they are great cars, as long as they are serviced regularly, a diesel will run for 250k easily - coming from a family of mechanics, safe for the family too and holds its value as much as anything else
  • Options

I don't post a great deal on here as just like to read rumours/signing etc - however I know a lot about Audi's and my last 3 cars have been from them, 2 A4s (2.0 litre diesels) and now I have the 3.0 litre A5 Quattro and I must say that they are great cars, as long as they are serviced regularly, a diesel will run for 250k easily - coming from a family of mechanics, safe for the family too and holds its value as much as anything else

I agree

What I'll add is nobody is under any obligation to take their car to the dealer for servicing. Any VAT registered garage can do the servicing so don't be bullied into paying 3 times as much to use the main dealer. Depending on where you live (the original poster) I can hook you up with a mate of mine who will look after you

The engines went a bit ropey on the A4 & A5 just after 2005 or whenever they changed the engine for a few years. I'd buy another one tomorrow having said that.

One thing to spend 60 quid absolute max on is getting the alternator belt changed as they are susceptible to squeaking and I'd always get the CAM belt changed for my own peace of mind unless I had solid evidence it had been done recently.

Another gem of advice when eyeing up any used car is to look at the tyres, regardless of how shiny and freshly pol-washed it is, a lot of people look down their nose at the idea of tyre kicking but you are looking to see if the tyres are all in decent nick and have plenty of tread but also that they are all the same brand and a decent brand at that. If not, it's been looked after on a budget and will be a pre-cursor to other problems 99 times out of 100.

Audis are fantastic vehicles in the main and providing you look after them they will look after you
  • Options
    Carter said:

I agree

What I'll add is nobody is under any obligation to take their car to the dealer for servicing. Any VAT registered garage can do the servicing so don't be bullied into paying 3 times as much to use the main dealer. Depending on where you live (the original poster) I can hook you up with a mate of mine who will look after you

The engines went a bit ropey on the A4 & A5 just after 2005 or whenever they changed the engine for a few years. I'd buy another one tomorrow having said that.

One thing to spend 60 quid absolute max on is getting the alternator belt changed as they are susceptible to squeaking and I'd always get the CAM belt changed for my own peace of mind unless I had solid evidence it had been done recently.

Another gem of advice when eyeing up any used car is to look at the tyres, regardless of how shiny and freshly pol-washed it is, a lot of people look down their nose at the idea of tyre kicking but you are looking to see if the tyres are all in decent nick and have plenty of tread but also that they are all the same brand and a decent brand at that. If not, it's been looked after on a budget and will be a pre-cursor to other problems 99 times out of 100.

Audis are fantastic vehicles in the main and providing you look after them they will look after you
    Good advice regarding tyres, a neighbour of mine bought a 2 year old Nissan juke .It had 3 different makes of tyre on, turned out to be loads of trouble
  • Options
    Yes very good advice ref tyres. Had my A3 for 10 years and picking up my new model tomorrow. Good all round performance and very good comfort. The best thing though is the after sales service which is exceedingly good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Currently have a 2014 a3 quattro diesel, company car no issues, good car. in saying that in September when I renew, I will get something else.
  • Options

Currently have a 2014 a3 quattro diesel, company car no issues, good car. in saying that in September when I renew, I will get something else.

Maybe the real thing (BMW/Merc) as opposed to a wannabee? ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    bobmunro said:

Thats the main reason I looked at BMW and Merc before getting my new model Q5 on order to arrive in Sept. I admit I had the same view.

Merc equivalent (GLC) was the cheapest of the lot for a comparable model. BMW X3 is due for replacement soon and imo you could see why. Q5 was without doubt the nicest finish and in terms of the badge still feels premium without maybe feeling quite as prestige as the other two.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    BMW's are cheaper aren't they? At least the 2nd hand one's seem lesser quality in terms of finish and add ons at the same price. (Also they have an awful rep) :lol:
    Mercs are definitely for the older generation.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

BMW's are cheaper aren't they? At least the 2nd hand one's seem lesser quality in terms of finish and add ons at the same price. (Also they have an awful rep) :lol:
    Mercs are definitely for the older generation.

Oi!!!! I drive a beemer!
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Thats the main reason I looked at BMW and Merc before getting my new model Q5 on order to arrive in Sept. I admit I had the same view.

Merc equivalent (GLC) was the cheapest of the lot for a comparable model. BMW X3 is due for replacement soon and imo you could see why. Q5 was without doubt the nicest finish and in terms of the badge still feels premium without maybe feeling quite as prestige as the other two.
    No disagreement with that - but I would expect the new X3 to go to the top of that group when it's released.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

No disagreement with that - but I would expect the new X3 to go to the top of that group when it's released.
    Tell you what was a massive disappointment. The F Pace and in particular the Macan. Probably more down to the models my budget would stretch to but I half expected to see windy windows on the Porsche - thats how low the standard spec was.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Tell you what was a massive disappointment. The F Pace and in particular the Macan. Probably more down to the models my budget would stretch to but I half expected to see windy windows on the Porsche - thats how low the standard spec was.
    Are radios included in standard Porsche spec these days? (they never used to be!!).

The F-Pace is disappointing, not least the build quality. Mate of mine has the Macan Turbo and that's a serious piece of kit.
  • Options
    Only diesels registered after September 2015 will be allowed free of additional charges into central London and possibly inside the north/south circular boundary.
  • Options
    pickwick said:

Only diesels registered after September 2015 will be allowed free of additional charges into central London and possibly inside the north/south circular boundary.

Luckily I don't drive into London often/at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Are radios included in standard Porsche spec these days? (they never used to be!!).

The F-Pace is disappointing, not least the build quality. Mate of mine has the Macan Turbo and that's a serious piece of kit.
    DAB is a cost option at Porsche which I never fail to raise my eyes at when I'm been taken through a configuration. In my experience you have to add at least £10k to a standard Porsche spec to make it drivable.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

The V6 F Pace is a stunning piece of kit.

• Options
    My sister in law has an A3 and hates it. Only hanging on for the emissions compensation. Stupid feature is that you can't enter a UK postcode on the sat nav.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

My sister in law has an A3 and hates it. Only hanging on for the emissions compensation. Stupid feature is that you can't enter a UK postcode on the sat nav.

Yes you can. I've got an A3 and the satnav is a doddle. What reg is her A3 mate? Mine is 14 so maybe the satnav has been "upgraded" if hers is newer.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Why does she hate it, out of interest?
  • Options
    Sitting in Bexley Audi at the moment waiting for my first MOT on my A3. Having a good look at the new models. The new Q5 looks the bollocks but a nine month waiting list. Have to say the new Q2 on the other hand looks really plasticky and tacky.
  • Options
    Along the subject of SUVs here, the wife has been looking to replace her current one. She's been looking at the Disco, F-Pace and the Volvo XC60 but is finding herself more drawn to the bigger XC90. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Oi Hijack ALERT!

:wink:
  • Options
    I should flag myself!
  • Options
    Does the new Q5 have a dark interior roof like the old Q5? I mean, lovely car but it just feels so closed in because of it.