Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying an Audi 2nd Hand

13»

Comments

• Options
    XC90 is another superb car - particularly the T8 versions
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Along the subject of SUVs here, the wife has been looking to replace her current one. She's been looking at the Disco, F-Pace and the Volvo XC60 but is finding herself more drawn to the bigger XC90. Any thoughts?

I've been looking to replace my Jeep. Had a look around. BMW X5 and X6 both seemed dated. F-Pace didn't even bother asking for a test drive. Looked quite cheap and mysteriously, getting in and out seemed impossible without either rubbing your trousers over the door sill and/or hitting your head, weird.
    Currently a toss up between a Range Rover Sport (didn't like the new Range Rover Velar or the Evoque) and the Maserati Levante. There's a face-lift Sport due this autumn with better interior (3 different touch screens!) and the Maser has a "S" version due in September with a tasty Ferrari 3.0l twin turbo petrol engine. I'm not looking at the Audi Qs (see above) or the Volvo. The latter seems to have a lot going for it but surely a small 4-cyl engine is a mistake in a vehicle that size? I've also heard bad things about Merc GLCs and the front tyres crabbing in low temperatures. Merc says they are fine and you should buy a separate set of winter tyres. Yeah, right. https://honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2017-01/mercedes-benz-refuses-to-fix-crabbing-problem/
  • Options
    Ok Just found a newer one similar price, has anyone else ever bought directly online as I've found a beauty but it's in Halifax lol!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Ok Just found a newer one similar price, has anyone else ever bought directly online as I've found a beauty but it's in Halifax lol!

I wouldn't do that, if it really is that good. Low miles, full service history, immaculate bodywork and interior, hp clear then allow yourself a day out on the train to Halifax don't part with any money or commit yourself until you have seen it though. If they are a big car retailer they will send it nearer to you assuming you make it clear your intentions.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Currently have a 2014 a3 quattro diesel, company car no issues, good car. in saying that in September when I renew, I will get something else.

Maybe the real thing (BMW/Merc) as opposed to a wannabee? ;-)
    I never got on with my 5 series. Steering was heavier than I'd expected so I never quite enjoyed the drive as much as I'd hoped. That said you could get a ridiculous amount in the tourer's boot.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Currently have a 2014 a3 quattro diesel, company car no issues, good car. in saying that in September when I renew, I will get something else.

Maybe the real thing (BMW/Merc) as opposed to a wannabee? ;-)
    I never got on with my 5 series. Steering was heavier than I'd expected so I never quite enjoyed the drive as much as I'd hoped. That said you could get a ridiculous amount in the tourer's boot.
    The 5 series is alarmingly good value for money as a used car. My problem with BMW is you need to really go top end to get any trim or interior to speak of, for a higher end manufacturer they feel really sparse and cheap inside. And that's imortant to me given that when you drive it you generally see a lot of the interior. Mercedes-Benz and Audi piss all over them for that. I love Audi styling but over the last few years Mercedes have really upped their game
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Along the subject of SUVs here, the wife has been looking to replace her current one. She's been looking at the Disco, F-Pace and the Volvo XC60 but is finding herself more drawn to the bigger XC90. Any thoughts?

I've been looking to replace my Jeep. Had a look around. BMW X5 and X6 both seemed dated. F-Pace didn't even bother asking for a test drive. Looked quite cheap and mysteriously, getting in and out seemed impossible without either rubbing your trousers over the door sill and/or hitting your head, weird.
    Currently a toss up between a Range Rover Sport (didn't like the new Range Rover Velar or the Evoque) and the Maserati Levante. There's a face-lift Sport due this autumn with better interior (3 different touch screens!) and the Maser has a "S" version due in September with a tasty Ferrari 3.0l twin turbo petrol engine. I'm not looking at the Audi Qs (see above) or the Volvo. The latter seems to have a lot going for it but surely a small 4-cyl engine is a mistake in a vehicle that size? I've also heard bad things about Merc GLCs and the front tyres crabbing in low temperatures. Merc says they are fine and you should buy a separate set of winter tyres. Yeah, right. https://honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2017-01/mercedes-benz-refuses-to-fix-crabbing-problem/
    I'm currently driving an X5 40e - the hybrid. Very pleased with it.

I actually ordered a Volvo XC90 T8 (again hybrid) - it's a great car but cancelled the order very late as I just couldn't have a Volvo! The 4 pot petrol mated to the electic motor is more than powerful enough.

RR Sport is a pretty safe option - I wouldn't touch the Levante with a barge pole. Now the new Lambo SUV .......