Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Duchatelet on Belgian TV again about Charlton - a "Mismatch"

Comments

• I think he wants to carry on until The Academy work is completed.

The Academy is his real geniune interest.

The first team are just a conduit for The Academy.

The first team having to be competitive is a major pain for RD.
  • Mametz said:

Thanks for the translation, Heather.

So he thinks that Charlton fans want him to be more involved with the club.

He is either incredibly stupid or amazingly disingenuous.

More a case of failing to grasp reality mate by virtue of being cocooned in a world of self-indulgent sycophancy and employee f***wittery!

It's also commonly referred to as being 'f*****g thick'!
  • mogodon said:

With every passing pronouncement he sounds like a bargain-basement Belgian Donald Trump

Like and a lol
  • seth plum said:

"we have tried very hard to communicate there"

How long did we wait for Mel Baroni, and how long did she last?

That's because she is a woman and we are all misogynistic.

Especially that Weegie

• Thanks to @The_President for sourcing this. RD was on Belgian Sportcafe TV programme after STVV lost 3-0 to Genk at the weekend and touched on Charlton.

This is the link, with relevant bit (in his garbled Flemish) from 19.08 - still worth a look for the animation and body language of the other guests towards him.

https://tvl.be/programmas/sportcafe-tvl-sportcafe-29-mei-2017-44974

Here's my bash at a translation- a bit rough in places as he can be quite difficult to make out:

Host: Do you still get any football pleasure from Charlton Athletic?

RD: Yes, err. In general, it is not so easy in that place and also not nice. The big challenge in football is communication as Patrick just said [Patrick Janssens, another former politician and MD of Genk, who had just talked eloquently about things he did to build relationship between club and fans and improve atmosphere at stadium] and we have tried very hard to communicate there. Sometimes there are nevertheless elements who make sure that it becomes very. very difficult, that if mistakes are made that the consequences are much more dramatic than they should be. With football it’s not so easy. Everything is blown out of proportion, problems found that aren’t problems.

Host: Why don’t you give it up like you did at Standard?

[RD gets defensive and says that wasn’t the reason, he wanted out of Belgium football, then goes on about why he bought STVV – Bert Lammens wanted out, but there was no buyer, he was the buyer of last resort, put Mareike in as president.]

RD: Actually, for me, and it’s difficult to explain to supporters, football has never been my most prominent activity. And it’s still not today, it is a sideline. And people, particularly the people of Charlton, cannot understand that at all. They dream that in my position, in that chair, one is hands-on, so to speak. They can absolutely not understand that if I am sitting in that chair that I am not “doing”. They really cannot grasp that, for them it’s incomprehensible.

I limit myself to giving money, but they believe I should be occupied day and night with it.

I think that is the problem of networks because the fans want to think their club is the best in the world and that someone who is the boss must put 200% of their time into that club or he is never going to be a good boss.

Host: There’s something beautiful about that, of course?

RD: Of course. And I respect people who are busy with it day and night, like most of my colleagues in Belgium, by the way, who are busy day and night, but that is not my life. And actually for me that’s a kind of "mismatch"…that’s why I’m not the president [here at STVV], a conscious decision, because I don’t have the time for it day and night.

So, you bought the wrong club then Roland?
  • Sponsored links:

• So he hasn't released us from his evil clutches yet then ffs :rage:

Oh well back to my close season time out. Someone send me a pm please if the deluded old fool does the decent thing before August.
  • edited May 2017

He sends the manager emails explaining formations and "asking" why certain players aren't playing but he's not involved?

He is the worst kind of manager. He interferes but takes no responsibility.

Nail.on.head

That type of manager is also known as a twat if you please
  • It's got to be lost in translation. No one can be such a twat. Or can they?
  • Thank you very much, Weegie.

If RD is genuinely as blind to the situation at Charlton as he paints in his media statements, heaven help us! More likely it is a convenient face-saving line to peddle to those in Belgium who will be largely ignorant of the true situation.

I hope there are those amongst us with the necessary skills to inform more of the Belgian media (interviewers, reporters, Sport pundits, etc. of the Charlton fans' side of things, so they at least have the ammunition to challenge his statements. Whether or not they choose to fire it is of course beyond all our controls! We have made some progress with that in the UK, making it more chancy for KM to rely on getting an easy ride in interviews.
  • Thanks Weegie
    But I wish I hadn't read it.
    What a complete cockwomble.
  • How many more seasons have we got of this pathetic carry on?
  • All comes back to the question:

If you don't really care and aren't that interested.. Why bother at all?

Unique.

Not even as if he's making a profit or even looks close to making a profit from his sideline.
    Exactly.

Not for money, not for enjoyment, not for adulation from the fans. What on earth is it all for?

Just sell and leave us to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    Mismatch as in he misses every match because he's never at the Valley and he likes to sit in a restaurant instead of being glued to his 'live stream' which I think is actually more likely to mean he's gone fishing than he's watching Charlton.
    Mr. Missmatch indeed.
  • The man has no desire to turn us into a successful part of his business network?? MAD or what, if he wanted to turn us around I am up for being CEO; I do budgets run a business which is growing and will turn over 15.1 million this year unfortunately it is no my money so I can't buy...
  • What an arrogant man.
  • All comes back to the question:

If you don't really care and aren't that interested.. Why bother at all?

Unique.

Not even as if he's making a profit or even looks close to making a profit from his sideline.
    Exactly.

Not for money, not for enjoyment, not for adulation from the fans. What on earth is it all for?

Just sell and leave us to it.
    Like many have said before, I just don't he got involved in the first place and continues with it
  • edited May 2017
    25th year back at the Valley and he pisses on our chips? Good work Roly. Just watch the money roll right in......
  • This is owner of ours is a fruad.
  • I'm glad that I just piss vinegar.
  • The problem here is that Duchtatelet talks so much bollocks it now
    mogodon said:

" They dream that in my position, in that chair, one is hands-on, so to speak. They can absolutely not understand that if I am sitting in that chair that I am not “doing”. They really cannot grasp that, for them it’s incomprehensible."

On other words, Charlton fans are so stupid that they think I don't have other things to do. No, Roland, we know you have a business empire and a failed political career as well as a handful of football clubs. We could not care less if you never gave us a thought again. But if you really can't be bothered to show an interest, at least stop letting idiots like Meire, Driesen etc etc make decisions and appoint some credible and talented people to run your afterthought.

Or even better, sell it and never have to worry about your lunch being ruined or your neighbours being upset again.

I want Roland to read that.

He would have no valid response comeback other then visibly storming off if that was said to him in person.

Such a strange man.
  • Dread the thought of him having a more hands on approach....