Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Valley fencing dating required please

2»

Comments

• Options
    Having enlarged the picture, I see what you mean as it's to be re-sited outdoors.
    Good luck with it whatever you choose to do, it's a handsome thing.
    Oh, and steer clear of Hammerite: ghastly stuff...
  • Options

Were the railings replaced or was the perimeter wall built around them to secure them and make them safer?

That's what it looks like to me, also. In the late 50s, kids would stand on the wall with their feet through the railings, which were only a couple of feet above the wall.
  • Options

Redskin said:

For what it's worth, I would urge you not to 'tidy it up'. There is a certain gravitas and beauty about well-worn and used pieces which is often undone by attempts to restore them.
    Anyway, none of my business, but thanks for posting the picture - I wonder how many of us gripped those very railings...

Fair point but it is deteriorating. I wonder how long it will last if not treated.

It has been painted many times in its lifetime to keep it from oxidising and smart.

I will give your suggestion serious consideration. My gut feeling is that deteriation needs to be halted.
    Best to not leave it outside or better still speak to professional restoration experts about what it can be sprayed/treated with to preserve it in its current state.

PS OK to tweet the pick?

How much did it cost you in 1990?
    Thanks and of course. a fiver.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Were the railings replaced or was the perimeter wall built around them to secure them and make them safer?

That's what it looks like to me, also. In the late 50s, kids would stand on the wall with their feet through the railings, which were only a couple of feet above the wall.
    As shown in the photo that @Henry posted. I stood on the wall with feet through railing in front of the East Terrace as a nipper. You could smell the horse liniment when the players came out across the pitch.
  • Options

Redskin said:

For what it's worth, I would urge you not to 'tidy it up'. There is a certain gravitas and beauty about well-worn and used pieces which is often undone by attempts to restore them.
    Anyway, none of my business, but thanks for posting the picture - I wonder how many of us gripped those very railings...

Fair point but it is deteriorating. I wonder how long it will last if not treated.

It has been painted many times in its lifetime to keep it from oxidising and smart.

I will give your suggestion serious consideration. My gut feeling is that deteriation needs to be halted.
    Best to not leave it outside or better still speak to professional restoration experts about what it can be sprayed/treated with to preserve it in its current state.

PS OK to tweet the pick?

How much did it cost you in 1990?
    Thanks and of course. a fiver.
    Bargain
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure there is a clear lacquer that the rat rod boys use on their cars to protect the rusty patina look.
  • Options
    They would look good with one of the Floyd Rd repro signs attached to them.
  • Options

Great idea. Where might we get one?
  • Options

I know someone with an original........ *joke Tom* ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great thread.
  • Options

Great idea. Where might we get one?
    Plenty on eBay
  • Options
    Love it chaps...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    TEL said:

I'm pretty sure there is a clear lacquer that the rat rod boys use on their cars to protect the rusty patina look.

Just Googled this: Eastwood Patina Preserver Aerosol - Invisible Rust Protectant Coat.
    Too computer illiterate to post link, but this could be exactly what you're looking for if you want to keep the railing in its original condition.
    There's also an oil-based product used in painting called Penetrol which although not designed specifically for rust preservation does the same thing.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I have used Eastwood products on my motorbikes. Good stuff. I might try this route first.

I plan for it to be able to unbolt it easily for the museum on my passing as I promised @Henry Irving

I need to have my friendly engineer do his magic on it. We are very close to Cornwall so it will be done 'dreckly '. When it is sorted and in situ I will report back.

With a bit of luck it might be before the end of the season.
  • Options

Thanks all. I have used Eastwood products on my motorbikes. Good stuff. I might try this route first.

I plan for it to be able to unbolt it easily for the museum on my passing as I promised @Henry Irving

I need to have my friendly engineer do his magic on it. We are very close to Cornwall so it will be done 'dreckly '. When it is sorted and in situ I will report back.

Great stuff. I wish you long life
  • Options
    edited June 2017

We are very close to Cornwall so it will be done 'dreckly '. When it is sorted and in situ I will report back.

Proper job!

PS: For those who are maybe not familiar with Cornish parlance, 'dreckly' means something like 'mañana' - but not as urgent.

• Options

Mind how you cross the road.
  • Options
    Just seen the tweet @Henry Irving . That reminds me that I know the wherabouts of the players and officials entrance sign from when we left in 1985. not with me.

Missed out on the swords at the top of the fence next to the shop though.
  • Options

Just seen the tweet @Henry Irving . That reminds me that I know the wherabouts of the players and officials entrance sign from when we left in 1985. not with me.

Put us in touch with the owner, would love to see that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I will ask if he is happy to. Lots of character to it.
  • Options

I will ask if he is happy to. Lots of character to it.
    Cheers