Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson interview on 2017/18

Comments

• Options
    Given that everyone at the club knows it is the 25th anniversary of us returning to the Valley and that we asked the FA for Pompey on that date I would think it strange if he was not fully aware of what the fixture would mean to us fans.

As manager he would want the valley well attended and supporting the team and he is doing his best to bring us all onside. To be fair to the guy he is trying his best to do that. I think he has achieved more than his predecessors in getting Rolly to understand what is needed and if he fills the gaps he mentioned we should have a competitive squad this season. It looks like it will be a flamboyant one as well.

I didn't like him when he started but I am getting a bit excited at seeing the team he is building. I would be gutted if he left, so I guess I must be warming to him.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Given that everyone at the club knows it is the 25th anniversary of us returning to the Valley and that we asked the FA for Pompey on that date I would think it strange if he was not fully aware of what the fixture would mean to us fans.

As manager he would want the valley well attended and supporting the team and he is doing his best to bring us all onside. To be fair to the guy he is trying his best to do that. I think he has achieved more than his predecessors in getting Rolly to understand what is needed and if he fills the gaps he mentioned we should have a competitive squad this season. It looks like it will be a flamboyant one as well.

I didn't like him when he started but I am getting a bit excited at seeing the team he is building. I would be gutted if he left, so I guess I must be warming to him.

You seem to be easily excited - the lesson with this mob is always wait and see rather than be excited. Don't set yourself up for the inevitable disapointment.
  • Options
    I thought the interview was sensible, as a manager he knows the weaknesses in the squad and would want to deal with them he gave a good explanation of why he persisted with the diamond formation last season and that it was only done because the lack of depth in certain areas of the squad.
    His problem is the owner will not splash out the cash for the size of squad and the number of experienced players he would need.
  • Options
  • Options

cabbles said:

I like his enthusiasm. I know a lot of people think he's a chancer and comes in with a lot of bluster and bullshit, and sometimes I think he's a little uncomfortable to watch, but you can see he desperately wants to do well and be accepted.

Perhaps that's his biggest problem. That trying too hard to fit in type approach

I'll give him credit for doing his research on the pompey fixture and what it all means.

I just don't know to be honest. I felt he was too rigid in his preferred formation last season and our defending was awful at times. We did pick up toward the end of the season but apart from Southend, we were playing some right dross

I think that's the fairest assessment of KR I've read. Nice one cabbles.
    Also mate I think he's fighting the fact that he's managing under the RD regime. Yes he chose it and should've done his homework before he took the job, but he's probably had a few rude awakenings of what it's truly like to work under RD since he's been here.

I just don't know.

I think the team is okayish, we're still massively short of a promotion team imo. The regime as much as I despise them are I think trying to do things differently now. Don't trust them still one iota, yet it seems getting rid of Chris o Laughlin and the types of players we're signing now would seem to suggest that something is seeping in, but.......

It's going to be another odd season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karl's great the weathers great.
    He feels positive, so should we.
    The training ground phases are great.
    He wants to play all games at the Valley that would be great.
    He wants 2 players for some positions more for other positions that is great.
    He spoke to the people in Belgium its all positive.
    All the players want to be here, terrific.
    He knows all about the significance of the Pompey game.
    All the managers of other clubs want to be at the Valley like he always did.
    Brilliant wow.

Its great, I'm totally confident all the players he wants will be here and we are going to win every game and all the idiot protesters will stop what they have been doing. Supporters are going to forget that they have been sh#t on from a great height since the wonderful Belgium people have been here. Boycotter's are all going to forget why they are staying away and flood back. Its all going to be great and wonderful.
  • Options

It amazes me how the crowd used to sing songs about Bob Peeters but can't get behind KR who is far better placed to get us out of this league.

That's because BP never managed us in this league. ;-)
  • Options
    Shame he hasn't and won't have a strong enough squad to fulfill his ambitious nature. There is no point having genuine hope whilst we rely on RD & KM to deliver. It just isn't going to happen under their stewardship.
  • Options
    If only he was as good as he thinks he is. If he was, he'd be at a Premier League club, but sadly he ain't, so he's with us.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I'll give him credit for doing his research on the pompey fixture and what it all means.

I'd like to think he'll do a good job for us this year and I don't want this to seem like I'm having a go at KR, but I don't think you can credit him with 'research' here. He pretty much said that when he walked in Chris Parkes told him about the significance, so his knowledge of it was pretty clearly dropped in his lap.
    Okay, I'll give him credit for realising its significance and referring to it, i.e. He is trying drum up a bit of postivity ahead of the season and talking about something that means something to us all.

Yes it's not hard to mention, but some may have not.

I'm still massively sceptical of his abilities to lead under an incompetent regime, but as I said, I like his enthusiasm
    Yeah fair enough @cabbles - you're right that he did at least mention it when others might not have. Fair play.
  • Options
    I want Robinson to do well because that means charlton are doing well but I just do not like the bloke.

With other managers I have thought that its pointless sacking them if we can't get a better manager but they could sack fatty now and I wouldn't give a shit.

It's a shame as I know he's a big fan of my work
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm completely split on him

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out on xhamster later....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I like his enthusiasm. I know a lot of people think he's a chancer and comes in with a lot of bluster and bullshit, and sometimes I think he's a little uncomfortable to watch, but you can see he desperately wants to do well and be accepted.

Perhaps that's his biggest problem. That trying too hard to fit in type approach

I just don't know to be honest. I felt he was too rigid in his preferred formation last season and our defending was awful at times. We did pick up toward the end of the season but apart from Southend, we were playing some right dross

This.

I want Charlton promoted so I'll back him like most other managers.

If Powell played a team that continually lost and successfully changed it the following season, I'm hoping that KR will be given the same opportunity.

Yes, he talks too much and he's often unintelligble, but I can happily ignore that if he can make Charlton successful again.
  • Options
    Cabbles has summed it up for me

I'm warming to him just hope that like Parkinson it's not the right man at the wrong time

We are 3 or 4 players short of a top 2 team and I think Karl is a motivator if sometimes tactically short

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

I watch a lot of his interviews and I honestly don't have the same contempt others seem to have about his interviews.
    Results of course are another matter.
    Whenever his MKD's came on my radar before he joined, I was always impressed with the (vague term alert) attractiveness of his football.
    When I hear him talk, I find myself agreeing with him point after point.
    If he can get the circumstances that he envisages, and that of course is the big if, then we can see what he can do. Who wants to argue with him about what he says about team responsibility, fitness and preparation, having two good players for every position?
    He even quantifies what he wants, two good RB's, two on the left, four or five good CB's, two wide right, two wide left, two or three to choose from as a holding midfielder, two number tens, and four or five strikers. It goes without saying two decent goalkeepers. I make that Robinson wants a credible first team squad of twenty six or so players who could all do a good job in the team.
    What's not to like about that aspiration?
    I realise that Robinson comes across as a chancer, and why not when he has no affinity to Charlton Athletic? Yet he is demonstrably eager to discover things about the club, and of course the longer he stays the more he will like the place. I remember him on the pitch pre Southend away being aware of our loud and funny and passionate support and he liked it, he indicated to the players to acknowledge us when they returned to the changing room. His 'chancer' persona may metamorphosis into a person with real commitment over time.
    The fact that I hate this regime will not let me dismiss Robinson out of hand, tempting though that may be.
    The elephant of all elephants is of course results.
    Whatever the background nature of Karl Robinson at Charlton Athletic is, the true definition of his tenure will be the results, and I have never disliked him, disagree yes, but dislike no, and I would be pleased to see success, especially served up in the 'attractive' style I often noticed with his MKD teams.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    Spoke to a football contact today - says an average L1 manager (not CW - but I won't name him) was along way down the process to to join us at some point last season, but backed out when he was refused guarantees about outside interference in team selection.

Can you believed that !!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I'm warming to him just hope that like Parkinson it's not the right man at the wrong time

We are 3 or 4 players short of a top 2 team and I think Karl is a motivator if sometimes tactically short

I agree - success will be about the squad he is given - not his abilities. This is League One (Cloggers league). Most of us could get a team promoted with the right support. Admittedly, massive support, and Robinson will need a lot less, but he will need more than this lot have ever provided before! We need a balanced squad for starters!
  • Options
    If Holmes leaves and we fail to get Reeves I wonder how optimistic his next interview will be
  • Options

Having written all that I kid you not I've just woken up and dreamt we were 2 down in the opening 7 minutes against Bristol Rovers on the opening day and I was lambasting him....
  • Options
    A pretty good interview. I'd much rather have an enthusiast than an energy sapper. That's even more important in our position.

He's working for one of the worst owners in the game and we all know it's an uphill struggle. Of course, he didn't have to take the job but football management is a precarious business and, at 36, he's a young guy who has a family to support.
  • Options
    Christ that was painful.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I've got 5 minutes to spare before going to sleeps, shall I listen to Karel Gobinson for 5 minutes or crack one off....

Damn sure the two are mutually exclusive.!
  • Options
    Where we are after 10 games should tell us where we're heading and whether anything has changed.