Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker Retires

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Great player. Never forget his 70 yard lung busting run to dispossess Syvan Wiltord who was no slouch.
  • Options
    Didn't have it easy with the likes of Desperate Dawson, Kaboul, Bassong and an almost debilitated Ledley King behind him but he certainly won the Spurs fans over very quickly when he first got into the side under Redknapp.

Only made 50 starts for Spurs in the time he was at WHL. Shame we got him when we did towards the end of his career. We looked a totally different side when he was in the team.
  • Options
    In Parker and Bowyer we produced two exceptional midfielders who should have been England regulars, I don't think I could pick who was the better.
  • Options
    First time I remember being totally gutted about us losing a player.
  • Options
    Ran himself into the ground when we won 1 nil (I think) away to Brum.

We were right under the cosh in the second half and I think the game ended with him dribbling the ball out of defence all the way to the opposite end corner flag as the ref blew for full time.

Great player for us.

Wanker :smiley:
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZksTLDTUo4

Match highlights if you wanna see both his goals from that game.
  • Options
    Nothing changes with Charlton... I'd forgot that Southampton hadn't scored in ages prior to that game. Then they go and score three. Very generous of us to help them out.
  • Options
    Top player

I agree that his career after leaving us never quite reached the peaks it threatened to, as he could do everything when he played for us, whereas when he left us he settled into a defensive midfielder role.

I expect him to go into coaching, and I expect him to make a success of it, in the Curbs mode, quietly getting on with things, rather than trying to make it all about "him"
  • Options

Top player

I agree that his career after leaving us never quite reached the peaks it threatened to, as he could do everything when he played for us, whereas when he left us he settled into a defensive midfielder role.

I expect him to go into coaching, and I expect him to make a success of it, in the Curbs mode, quietly getting on with things, rather than trying to make it all about "him"

I remember his last game against wolves, he was absolutely everywhere, playing where curbs told him to in defensive midfield and then going walkies to try and score a goal, but always timed going forward to perfection that didn't leave us exposed, despite curbs going ape shit at him at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His best goal for us. I was at a wedding getting text updates when this went in, found it very hard to keep a lid on it!

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Just announced on SSN.

Oh the memories.

I personally think his best years was when he was at west ham. Good luck to him hope he stays in the game.

Almost correct - his best GAME was against West Ham at The Valley, his best goal(s) probably away at Soton.
    None of which will get shown on Sky.
  • Options
    I remember when he came into the first team he just dominated with the tackles and energy. We haven't had a youth player make such a impact since.
  • Options

His best goal for us. I was at a wedding getting text updates when this went in, found it very hard to keep a lid on it!

I was decorating the bedroom in our new house & was listening to the radio.......I believe we were 1-0 down & Parker ended up getting the winner. Also combined with Jensen for a sublime goal at home v someone (cant remember who)

Was gutted when he left & Chelsea only bought him to stop us getting into the top 4 as we had just beaten them on boxing day & were above them in the league - no real intention of playing him regularly as history shows.

Still think Bowyer was a better player but not much in it.
  • Options
    He pissed me right off at the time.If he'd waited until the end of the season to move I'd have driven down, got him a drink and lunch and dropped him off at any club...if he'd stayed we would of had European football..99% sure.Im over it now.good luck to him.
  • Options
    agim said:

I remember when he came into the first team he just dominated with the tackles and energy. We haven't had a youth player make such a impact since.

I thought Shelvey did similar stuff just with a little less pace... and Poyet also came in and did the same and Cousins... Sadly all were not to that same level of skill and all three left us for pennies or less.
  • Options
    He had a good enough career but his wife making him move for film premiers was annoying... oh wait
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He pissed me right off at the time.If he'd waited until the end of the season to move I'd have driven down, got him a drink and lunch and dropped him off at any club...if he'd stayed we would of had European football..99% sure.Im over it now.good luck to him.

Another annoying thing about missing out on European football that season is that millwall took the final place by reaching the cup final.
    They never beat a single premiership team in reaching the final and then got spanked at Wembley .
    We finished 7th in the premiership and missed out.
    Not that I'm still angry or anything.

F@_#/=%#$ c#$#$/ w#@$##rs
  • Options
    It was a pisser him leaving but there's no doubting what a good player he was for us and others.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Oh I've held a grudge, pure jealousy I'll admit but him leaving was the beginning of the end of any assault on higher things

He was that Charlton team, he made us tick, nobody was safe from his challenges, spread the ball brilliantly and had dynamism and a eye for a peach of a shot.

I don't personally wish him harm but I don't think I'll ever get over how he left. Good on him for having a decent career truly class player who I wish hadn't left in the way he did.

Exactly this.
  • Options
    In his final season with us he dominated the midfield against some of the best centre mid players who ever played in the prem league.

• Options

Great goal in a 1-2 win at Leeds , one of personal favourite away trips given the boozey Leeds fan we gave a lift to.

One of my favorites too. Top quality so late in the game and in that fixture too. Perfect.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Rob7Lee said:

Great player, the days of him and Jensen running a midfield where the best football of the last 30 years.

Going to Chelsea may have been the wrong move but he's had a good career at the top level.

Be interesting to see what he does next. No doubt he's a good friend of Robinson so he could be back before we know it :wink:

Has one of Robbo's "celebrity guest coaches" written all over it.

Class player. As many have said probably the best I've seen for CAFC
    Want a bet?
    F*** him the greedy c***
  • Options
    From the PA story...........

Parker made his professional debut as a teenager for Charlton in 1997. He made nearly 150 appearances for the east Londoners before Claudio Ranieri took him to Chelsea for £10million in January 2004, shortly after Roman Abramovich had taken over the Stamford Bridge outfit.

No capital E for East.
  • Options
    It still hurts

Great player for us
  • Options
    That goal and the players around him...if only I had a Tardis and could revisit those times...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Loved it when he went head to head at The Valley with Gerrard (subbed), Lampard (subbed) and Keane (also subbed!) in 2004. If only he could have hung on to the end of that season, we would have been in Europe and he would have had a dream move to Old Trafford.

This.

Parker to us was Keane to Man Utd, Gerrard to Liverpool and Vieira to Arsenal at the time and it's why we found ourselves 3rd / 4th in the Prem for so long.

I agree he could easily have stayed on for the rest of the season and gotten a move to Man Utd. Would love to know if Fergie ever kept tabs on Parker and ever considered signing him whilst with us.