Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

University College Dublin v Charlton Athletic - PSF - 12 July 2017

Comments

• Options
    At the moment I can't see us scoring enough goals this coming season. Millwall played dire football in many of their matches last year but got the ball up to their strikers who knew where the goal was and somewhat luckily (imo) got promoted with 66 goals. I think we will struggle to get 50 goals, especially if we keep trying to walk the ball into the net.
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

Are both sides halfway through their season?

Yeah they were saying on the commentary that the Irish season runs through the summer.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

_nam11 said:

Yeah they were saying on the commentary that the Irish season runs through the summer.
    March until October.
  • Options

So, things I've learned from the last 3 days:

Ceballos looks like he has a touch of class, I'm looking forward to seeing him in League 1 - hopefully he's not shite.
    Josh is the only one in the club that we can rely on to find the net, Watt, Novak and Ajose might score a goal here and there but we'll struggle without JM.
    Kashi will be a great addition to the midfield, I'd love to see him with JFC.

Of the new Signings:
    Clarke looked unremarkable but I think he'll be a nightmare to mark and will be a decent addition.
    Marshall looks alright, runs fast and crosses.
    Fosu - what I saw of him he looked good, jury is out.

It's always been clear that Ceballos has ability, the problem IMO was that he was too lightweight for the FL.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

_nam11 said:

March until October.
    Cheers. So yeah add to our third match in three days the fact that these teams are mid-season. Again, not overly fussed about today.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

So, things I've learned from the last 3 days:

Ceballos looks like he has a touch of class, I'm looking forward to seeing him in League 1 - hopefully he's not shite.
    Josh is the only one in the club that we can rely on to find the net, Watt, Novak and Ajose might score a goal here and there but we'll struggle without JM.
    Kashi will be a great addition to the midfield, I'd love to see him with JFC.

Of the new Signings:
    Clarke looked unremarkable but I think he'll be a nightmare to mark and will be a decent addition.
    Marshall looks alright, runs fast and crosses.
    Fosu - what I saw of him he looked good, jury is out.

It's always been clear that Ceballos has ability, the problem IMO was that he was too lightweight for the FL.
    Won't be a major problem as long as other players around him put themselves about.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Lost 4-1 to a semi-professional team also using some of their reserves as they have a game at the weekend! Oooops!

Christ, we've only trained and played 45mins twice in two days.

Let's hope we can keep it down to just a loss by 1 or 2 vs Welling ;-)
  • Options
    Three weeks to get our tactical game sorted feels like a very short amount of time right now. Couldn't put three passes together tonight against weak opposition.
  • Options
    The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of creativity and movement - yes its preseason, yes they've done lots of fitness and seemingly not much else, yes they'll get sharper in terms of touch, accuracy etc with more ball work but we looked tactically clueless - too often trying to force a ball that wasn't on due to a lack of options. Fitness certainly plays a part in that but at their level, you're only talking about a couple of yards movement to change the picture and create an option for the guy on the ball, especially against much weaker opposition. The movement was non existent in the middle third forward
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At the moment I can't see us scoring enough goals this coming season. Millwall played dire football in many of their matches last year but got the ball up to their strikers who knew where the goal was and somewhat luckily (imo) got promoted with 66 goals. I think we will struggle to get 50 goals, especially if we keep trying to walk the ball into the net.

I've said this time after time after time - doesn't matter what system you play, whether its 4-4-2, 3-5-2 or KR's 4-4-1-1 you still have to get the ball into the net !!!!!! We still have yet to sign someone who can do that. Last season we were saved by Holmes scoring from midfield, but teams will be wise that this season & if he gets injured & misses a large part of the season we could be f****d. I wont be happy until we sign a decent striker who can bag 15-20 goals.
    a lot easier said than done, as they thought they did it last summer with Ajose and/or Novak.
  • Options
    There is only one man who can stop us leaking goals, this result would never have happened if Roger Johnson was still around.

KM, get to the Indian prem and dig out that infamous 2 year deal, quick!
  • Options
    Someone call Bamber Gascoigne and let's demand a rematch at University Challenge.
  • Options

I've said this time after time after time - doesn't matter what system you play, whether its 4-4-2, 3-5-2 or KR's 4-4-1-1 you still have to get the ball into the net !!!!!! We still have yet to sign someone who can do that. Last season we were saved by Holmes scoring from midfield, but teams will be wise that this season & if he gets injured & misses a large part of the season we could be f****d. I wont be happy until we sign a decent striker who can bag 15-20 goals.
    Don't think we should completely give up on Magennis doing that. He scored 10 last season, getting to 15 or so isn't impossible for him.

Kermorgant was never seen as a "15+ goals a season" striker but scored 18 for Reading last season and 15 for Bournemouth in their promotion season. All league goals and both times some way off starting every game.

Problem for me is there's no alternative that can play as a lone striker and score goals. KRs talked about 3/4 signings but hasn't mentioned a striker. I'm hoping that will change once Novak and another leave.
  • Options
    Still don't see why we had to play 3 games in 3 days after just a week of training
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Still don't see why we had to play 3 games in 3 days after just a week of training

No do I, it just doesn't make sense. Ok they are only playing 45-60 mins but it will be on current hard ground and there must be some degree of muscle recovery needed.

I also (and this is not just Charlton related) don't buy into just how much work is needed for 'match sharpness'. They get a 6-7 week break and are not recovering from injury where there would be complete inactivity.

It is not like the old days where they would out on 1 1/2 stone during that period as everything diet, fitness and booze wise goes out the window. They are not just footballers now, but athletes and will still be following individually designed maintenance programmes during that 6 week downtime.
    Just not last season.
  • Options

I think it's a mistake having full TV coverage of these meaningless games, as people start treating them as meaningful fixtures

We've spent a week in Ireland doing intensive fitness training, not concentrating on tactics and finishing as the season doesn't start for 3 weeks. Whereas the teams we are playing are in the middle of their season and hence on top of their game.

Spot on.....massive over reaction to the result, who cares at this stage
    Rubbish!
  • Options
    edited July 2017

cafctom said:

If it's just a matter of getting them 'match fit' then why not just play games against the reserves internally. What's the point of arranging an actual set of games that fans will pay money to go over and see.

Surely if our players had any pride they would at least make sure they put in 50% effort and win the match (that's probably all it would have taken against a side like UCD). At least have some pride in trying to get a result, even if it doesn't mean much. Surely there is no benefit out of losing any game 4-1, especially against this opposition!

Nobody forces the fans to go over, I would hope they are there as much for the craic as they are for the football?

The opposition may be less gifted players, but they are fully match fit which makes a massive difference. Someone like Josh is even further behind everyone in terms of his preseason

It's all about how we play in 3 1/2 weeks time
    And how we play in about 6 months time......
  • Options

Would be good if our sports science bods could explain to us the thinking behind three games in three days after a week of strenuous pre season. I'm sure it must have been a fitness inspired decision.

For me I would have thought that it was frought with the danger of picking up minor pulls and strains.

In any case I'd be interested.

I believe Airman has given you your answer.

Katy didn't want to pay for an extended period in Ireland.
  • Options
    Would it save money if we played all our home games on consecutive days? Has KM considered this?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I said this on page 5 of this inferior thread:
    Dazzler21 said:

I believe we haven't done any technical training so far.

I think some players shone considering (in terms of fitness and desire) Ceballos looked fantastic again and if he hasn't earned a chance I don't know how he will.

Sarr once again played pretty well. Still undecided on whether he's good enough, but compared to Bauer he's been tidier and compared to Pearce, he's given away loads less in the way of fouls.

• Options

Three weeks to get our tactical game sorted feels like a very short amount of time right now. Couldn't put three passes together tonight against weak opposition.

Our passing was fine, we just couldn't get the last ball right.