Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

University College Dublin v Charlton Athletic - PSF - 12 July 2017

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Three weeks to get our tactical game sorted feels like a very short amount of time right now. Couldn't put three passes together tonight against weak opposition.

Our passing was fine, we just couldn't get the last ball right.
    I didn't watch the game but the last ball is also a pass and actually the most important pass.
  • Options
    In relation to Sarr- he is sub championship - or was last time I saw him - but might do a job in League One - might!
  • Options
    Easy to pull out the fitness line, but the friendlies are about a little more than that. The players played roughly 135mins of football each over the 3 days, after the second day some had only played 90mins and some less - yet they got tought a lesson by a semi-professional team.

Result as such does not matter but, but conceding 8 in 180mins of football against these teams is pretty tragic. They had the weekend off prior to the matches too. Let's hope gobbinson has seen the holes in the squad and is able to rally to fill them.
  • Options

Easy to pull out the fitness line, but the friendlies are about a little more than that. The players played roughly 135mins of football each over the 3 days, after the second day some had only played 90mins and some less - yet they got tought a lesson by a semi-professional team.

Result as such does not matter but, but conceding 8 in 180mins of football against these teams is pretty tragic. They had the weekend off prior to the matches too. Let's hope gobbinson has seen the holes in the squad and is able to rally to fill them.

We conceded 7 and to be fair I think Phillips proved the need to bring in another GK.

We scored 8.

W5-0 L3-2 L4-1
  • Options
    Feck feck feck!

As they say in the local vernacular. Whilst not surprised of course to being underwhelmed supporting this car crash of a football club, I have an unnerving feeling of emptiness in my stomach about our prospects this season. Must go and breakfast immediately...
  • Options
    It's OK talking about players achieving fitness and building team spirit .. BUT .. we had our most 'experienced' goalkeeper making elementary mistakes and even more worryingly, as I can't see that Phillips will be our regular goalkeeper this season, our forwards were almost incapable of scoring or even getting many shots on target against the better teams in the last two games ..
    IF Robinson insists on playing one up front with two wide men and a 'number 10', I can't see the current personnel coming close to scoring the number of goals required to maintain a promotion effort, even though Marshall and Holmes will create a lot of chances (we hope)..
    BUT, It is still early days and we will have to wait and see what happens during the much more difficult friendlies we have lined up against the East Anglians when I hope a coherent pattern of play and consistent selection will become clearer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We conceded 7 and to be fair I think Phillips proved the need to bring in another GK.

We scored 8.

W5-0 L3-2 L4-1
    Sorry yes, you are right, 7.

But the 5 against an Amateur part time team is nothing to write home about

We need a lb a rb and a keeper, IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    uie2 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Get Clarke off, get Marshall off, get Solly off and try Watt, Holmes and Barnes.

See how that goes til 60 and shake it again after that.

Marshall and Clarke Charltonised already lol
    Marshall wasn't being passed to nearly enough when he was working the touch line, Clarke came to us Charltonised according to his old fans!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

We scored 8.

W5-0 L3-2 L4-1
    Sorry yes, you are right, 7.

But the 5 against an Amateur part time team is nothing to write home about

We need a lb a rb and a keeper, IMO.
    DaSilva and a GK I agree, I think Barnes is fine for covering Solly and if Push comes to shove, Tex seemed okay at RB and was pretty solid at distribution, I would like another RB in an ideal world I agree.
  • Options
    Shouldn't be losing 4-1

In the games so far have we been playing the 4-3-2-1 that KR likes so much?

• Options
    edited July 2017

Shouldn't be losing 4-1

Its a clue... 4-(3-2)-1 its the two scores from the last matches!!

ILLUMINATI!!
  • Options
    Thought ceballos KAG Aribo and watt came out best for me. Barnes looks capable of covering solly. Defenatly need LB and GK. Also why is no one on the post for free kicks. England done same against Scotland. I don't know why teams have stopped doing this the amount of goals scored like this. I'm sure under curbs we always had someone on the post. Seems crazy to me.
  • Options

Shouldn't be losing 4-1

Yes.
  • Options
    Over the three Irish games Ceballos proved himself capable, KAG impressed, Barnes suggested he might fill in as Solly's deputy and Mag did okay despite being less fit than his peers. Sarr also did okay and I don't think we should write him off.
    In the general play quite often KAG or Marshall would beat a player and then the ball would be pinged backwards so we started off again. This was like a re-run of the matches I saw last season. Why can't we move forwards? Personally I wish we would play a more direct 442 because it is uncomplicated and works in the third (1st) division and would probably suit Magennis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There is such a thing as "winning mentality"......last night that was palpably missing.
    I'm not daft enough to think that pre season fixtures aren't necessarily much of an indication as to where things eventually end up.....but it MUST be said that the performance last night was absolutely dire in just about every sense of the word.....pre season or not, meaningful fixture or not.
    I've watched countless pre season fixtures in my time.....I know full well what they are all about.....and last night was just about the worst I have ever seen.
    No matter how you want to look at it there won't be many smiling faces on the squad or coaching staff.....of that you can be sure.
    As pre season fixtures go, that my friends was as poor as it gets.
    Those of you who know me, know I'm in no way a gloom and doom merchant.
    But what do you want me to say.......as a fixture and confidence building exercise it failed miserably!
    Let's hope the rest of pre season shows a marked improvement!

I was at the match last night and SoundAs makes a very important point here.
    There is just no belief within the squad and nobody on the pitch seems able to motivate out there. I was pitchside and it is disheartening to witness close up how poor the desire was out on the pitch.
    It doesn't bode well that's for sure and those who think that these three games didn't matter are so wrong. KR wanted to start building some momentum and see the squad showing him positive signs of what was to come. That didn't happen.
    Did you go to see us face Crumlin or Limerick? I watched all three games on YouTube but its not the same as being at the game - I just wonder if the players didnt show belief last night because of tiredness... Of course if they didnt show it in the other two matches then it definitely is a concern and is more than just tiredness
  • Options

From watching the goals the critism of Philips seems harsh. Little he could do for any of the four. Who was meant to be marking the scorer for the first?

But it seems we have an early candidate for scapegoat ; - (
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    As a goalkeeper he has shipped 6 in 2 games.

Goal 1 last night he palmed into the centre of the box... That's his mistake and keepers are trained not to do this.
    Goal 2 He completely missed, not sure anyone particularly at fault as it was hit pretty hard.
    Goal 3 Beaten on the same post as the last free kick against him, didn't get over quick enough.
    Goal 4 Slow off his line.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

And that is all his fault? Nothing to do with the defence at all? Not every goal is down to the keeper who is the "last" line of defence.

As I said early candidate for scapegoat
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

And that is all his fault? Nothing to do with the defence at all? Not every goal is down to the keeper who is the "last" line of defence.

I thought Page was going to be the scapegoat but looks like Phillips is taking over. I look forward to booing and heckling him....
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Dazzler21 said:

I thought that was Sarr or Clarke or Marshall or any one of the other players...

He's no scapegoat, he has shipped 6 goals in 2 games, and you have got to feel a more experienced keeper would have dealt with at least 3 of the 6 better than he did.

Don't get me wrong his form last season was very good, but any long shots so far this pre-season has caused him some trouble.

He did fantastically well with that point blank stop last night and then made himself look silly getting tackled whilst dribbling the ball out, which could have made it 7 goals in 2 games.

He seems to be lacking confidence is all and maybe an older head will be able to give him help and advice to deal with some of the bits he struggles with.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Goal 1 last night he palmed into the centre of the box... That's his mistake and keepers are trained not to do this.
    Goal 2 He completely missed, not sure anyone particularly at fault as it was hit pretty hard.
    Goal 3 Beaten on the same post as the last free kick against him, didn't get over quick enough.
    Goal 4 Slow off his line.

I saw him in goal for a few away games last season, he did not fill me with a lot of confidence ... having watched the games from Ireland on TV, he does not look to have improved ..
    he might be 'one of ours' and a 'lovely lad' but as yet he is not good enough for a regular first team place .. another spell on loan to a club with a decent goal keeping coach would do him the world of good .. we can't afford to start the season with a sub-standard keeper, this isn't scapegoating, just common sense
  • Options
    I don't heckle, but I have no doubt that you are correct.

I'm genuinely disappointed for him, I thought he was going to break through this season and he still might.