Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Magennis next in line for contract talks

Excellent news.

Big fan of big Mag.

Shame it seems to take him a while to get his mojo back after injuries.

Comments

• That's good news but it feels like they are releasing news now to gloss over the lack of New signings.
  • I'd be surprised if contract talks hadn't started already. Maybe he's waiting to see if we have a realistic chance of promotion
  • The Wigan interest explains his disinterested performances at the time.
  • The Wigan interest explains his disinterested performances at the time.

Doesn't strike me as that sort of player, seems like a loyal guy with a professional attitude.. regardless of his needs or wants.

Good news though, rate him quite highly.
  • Fair enough
  • Good news, I really like big josh works his socks off for the team. Was for me 2nd behind Holmes for POTY
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

Yup feels like a proper Charlton player in an era of very unCharlton-like signings

Agreed, he's had to work his way up the football ladder the hard way, and really appreciates what a privilege it is to be a footballer
  • Go in and ask for the same deal that Holmes got.
  • shirty5 said:

Go in and ask for the same deal that Holmes got.

And he deserves it. He's as key to us as Holmes is. There may not have been the media clamour over him or so much interest over the summer but he would be a huge loss.
  • edited July 2017
    Excellent news..... if he signs.

Lots of jaded comments on here at the moment, and plenty of good reason for mistrust among the supporters, but so far this summer we've kept Holmes, signed two players who should definitely improve us, one with the potential to have an impact, and one who performed well for us last season.

Yes there are deals still needing to be done, but as long as everyone is fit we should have a strong and balanced side to put out for the first game of the season and have bought ourselves the time to wait a little longer for the right players if that is what it takes to get them.

As long as those few extra deals come before the end of August it will have been a good transfer window for us. Still, of course, also time for one or two to leave, but I hope the outs are pretty much all done now as I think everyone still in the squad has a potential role to fill, possibly even Nabby Sarr (someone has to clean the toilets after all).
  • When full fit, absolutely key for us. Defenders can't handle him.
  • shirty5 said:

what, with a buy out clause that goes down if we don't get promoted this season?
  • shirty5 said:

what, with a buy out clause that goes down if we don't get promoted this season?
    Undisclosed.
  • We need to keep him he is the best we have in that position.
    I still think he would be better if he had another striker alongside him though
  • That's good news but it feels like they are releasing news now to gloss over the lack of New signings.

Why not just try and take it on face value as good news as opposed to taking the cynical appreach?
  • shirty5 said:

And he deserves it. He's as key to us as Holmes is. There may not have been the media clamour over him or so much interest over the summer but he would be a huge loss.
    I do like Magennis, but he is an upper level League One striker at best.

Ricky Holmes is a different gravy in comparison to anyone in our squad, Josh Magennis included.
  • Sponsored links:

• Magennis' finishing is not his strongest suit but he's a very good team player and has many other attributes. I was listening to a podcast of 'The Big Interview with Graham Hunter' this week and Michael O'Neill, the Northern Ireland manager, went out of his way to single out Josh on a couple of occasions in order to praise his superb attitude. We need people like that in the squad, especially in a tough League 1.
  • Blucher said:

Magennis' finishing is not his strongest suit but he's a very good team player and has many other attributes. I was listening to a podcast of 'The Big Interview with Graham Hunter' this week and Michael O'Neill, the Northern Ireland manager, went out of his way to single out Josh on a couple of occasions in order to praise his superb attitude. We need people like that in the squad, especially in a tough League 1.

Ajose's second goal against Walsall is a perfect example of what Magennis brings

Loose 50/50 ball in the air, Magennis got his head down and potentially risked a foot in his face, powered up field and played a perfect cross
  • So we're having to give brand new contracts to players we signed one summer ago to try and keep them, brilliant.
  • So we're having to give brand new contracts to players we signed one summer ago to try and keep them, brilliant.

So we criticise for putting players on contracts that are to long and then only two year contracts, what would you have posted if we gave him a four your contract and was a flop and couldn't get him off the wage bill in which meant we had to loan him out every season or sell at a loss. Unbelievable.
  • edited July 2017

So we're having to give brand new contracts to players we signed one summer ago to try and keep them, brilliant.

It was right to give Holmes a 2 year deal, he was in his late 20s, had time out injured in the previous season and hadn't played in League 1 before (or if he had, not a great deal).

Magennis came in as a squad player and earned his place in the team. Wouldn't have made sense to give him a long contract.

Neither had played at this level before. Both had breakthrough seasons last year and, for me at least, far exceeded expectations. After the seasons they had last year, I think that even if they were on three year deals we'd need to be giving them new, improved contracts to keep them this season.

Actually quite good, yes, and better than giving players four and five years deals
  • cafctom said:

shirty5 said:

I do like Magennis, but he is an upper level League One striker at best.

Ricky Holmes is a different gravy in comparison to anyone in our squad, Josh Magennis included.

Well he is a regular for the most successful Northern Ireland team in years so that seems to suggest you are wrong. And upper level League One strikers don't usually trouble the Czech Republic's defence. Josh scared the shit out of them, while they had had Kyle Lafferty in their pockets and were already thinking about the after match beers until Josh rumbled on and almost scored with his first touch.
    What players do in internationals doesn't translate directly to what they are as club players in my opinion. If it did the the likes of David Healey, one of Northern Ireland's top goalscorers, would have been a Barcelona regular.

As I said, I like Magennis, but still think he is an upper League One player. That's actually a compliment considering as it stands we are not an upper League One club.
  • Good news - hope we create enough opportunities for him to show us what he can do.