Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Starting XI for the first game of the season (v Bristol Rovers)

After today's impressive win over Ipswich Town who would you pick? Let's assume that Reeves will have signed by then (I have no inside information btw).

For me it has to be.

Amos

Da Silva Baur Pearce (if fit) Solly

Kashi Konsa

Fosu Forster-Caskey Holmes

Magennis

subs: Phillips, Sarr, Dijksteel, Reeves, Ahearne-Grant, Clarke, Watt

Comments

• Perhaps I was watching a different game but I didn't think Clarke was that great.
  • jamescafc said:

Perhaps I was watching a different game but I didn't think Clarke was that great.

Great cut back for the third or fourth goal, should have scored himself by getting into a great position yet Fosu refused to pass.
  • Amos
    Solly, Konsa, Pearce, Da Silva
    Kashi, JFC
    Fosu, Clarke, Holmes
    Magennis

Subs:
    Phillips
    Barnes
    Bauer
    Aribo
    Reeves
    KAG
    Novak

Pearce still better than Bauer IMO, and a great leader.
  • Will be the team that started today.
  • Yeah agree has to be the starting x11 today. Played brilliant football pre season or not.
  • Same team as today.
    With the best bench we have had for years
  • Sponsored links:

• What's occurring with Magennis now. Seems to have all gone quiet abouthis contract and him leaving. I'm hoping this will all get settled and he stays now
  • What's occurring with Magennis now. Seems to have all gone quiet abouthis contract and him leaving. I'm hoping this will all get settled and he stays now

Magennis is going nowhere, you don't need to worry about that one.

Has got to be the same team as today, what message would that send to them if it wasn't? Bench being a lot stronger with new signings and injured players coming back too.

Really excited about the season starting now, and although we can never tell with Charlton, I am expecting a win and a well deserved one at that.
  • Great to hear. So.plessed tonnage some positivity going in to the season. Long may it continue. But what's behind the change of mood with Magennis. Last I heard he's bring touted around? Have I missed anything new coming to light? I like him and think it would be his answer to start brilliantly and demonstrate his worth
  • I'd start Phillips until Amos has the time to build an understanding with the defence. Give the shirt to Phillips and tell him it's his to lose.

Pearce to come on for Bauer when fit. Other than that keep the same.
  • Great to hear. So.plessed tonnage some positivity going in to the season. Long may it continue. But what's behind the change of mood with Magennis. Last I heard he's bring touted around? Have I missed anything new coming to light? I like him and think it would be his answer to start brilliantly and demonstrate his worth

Where did that rumour of Magennis being touted around come from? His agent by any chance?
  • Not sure @WKD but someone put It on the thread about It said robbo was touting him.
  • Same again. Perhaps Pearce is a little unlucky to be left out but Bauer is so much better in possession and with his passing, and he's a real threat in the opponent's penalty area.

I see no reason to drop Amos, he's far more experienced and far, far better with the ball than Phillips at this point in time. Amos looked very comfortable with our style of play despite not having trained with the team. Think a week of training will only improve him.

• I'd start Phillips until Amos has the time to build an understanding with the defence. Give the shirt to Phillips and tell him it's his to lose.

Pearce to come on for Bauer when fit. Other than that keep the same.

Phillips didn't play yesterday as he was injured (well, that's what the club have said).
  • Might be controversial but I'd have no place in starting 11 for Konsa. I'd go with Bauer as he can often nick goals and I also think he would be a much better player when playing along side Pearce than he was last season when partnering Tex, thought he showed his best form along side Diarra who like Pearce was a great communicator.
  • Has to be same as yesterday.IF you add Reeves to the existing squad with Marshall when fit then that is a pretty decent squad with different opinions available.Feel a wee bit sorry for Phillips especially if Martin joins.Bit strange that one - why would Martin want to be second choice?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pearce is a proper defender,
    Putting him on the bench if he is fit is a mistake.
  • I'd prefer a LR combo at the back but feel that the extra pace of Sarr over Bauer/Pearce would allow us to play further up the pitch. He may make the odd mistake until he gets games under his belt, but Pearce will give away pens and Bauer will get turned.
  • edited July 2017
  • Pearce is a proper defender,
    Putting him on the bench if he is fit is a mistake.

If fit, Pearce over Bauer all day long. Other than that. Same team as yesterday.
  • I think the first team has picked itself, with the exception of does Pearce return and who for ?

However, if after say a dozen games, we have Magennis, Holmes, Kashi and Marshall out.

Will our squad be strong enough for promotion ?

The team doesn't look so great with Novak up front, Ahearne-Grant in for Holmes and Crofts in for Kashi.

Subs, Pearce, Aribo, Sarr, Dijksteel, Jackson, Watt, goalie.
  • Konsa in midfield, JFC at number 10 after yesterday? You're absolutely insane
  • I think the first team has picked itself, with the exception of does Pearce return and who for ?

However, if after say a dozen games, we have Magennis, Holmes, Kashi and Marshall out.

Will our squad be strong enough for promotion ?

The team doesn't look so great with Novak up front, Ahearne-Grant in for Holmes and Crofts in for Kashi.

Subs, Pearce, Aribo, Sarr, Dijksteel, Jackson, Watt, goalie.

Take any, ANY League One team and then injure its four best players. Oh look, it's suddenly shit. I reckon ours would be less shit than most, even with Novak
  • Should be the same starting 11. Even if Reeves joins he probably isn't fit - certainly not match fit. Thought Bauer had a good game and should keep his place even if Pearce fit.
  • Karl (and us) have been given an absolute gift in Kashi. There is no chance he (or we) could have recruited a midfielder of his class and all round ability.

Let's just hope he stays fit.

And we manage to get past the transfer deadline without selling.