Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Union Flag

Comments

• Options

Life could be made a darn sight lest complicated if they just bunged the red stripes in the middle of the white ones, then everybody (apart form flag pedants) would be happy. If they also dollopped the word Forwards on the front it would reduce errors and also be a positive motivational statement!
  • Options

Do other nations name there flags.
    Stars and stripes-usa
    Tricolour- France.

Are there others?

Lots of countries have tricolour. Just means three colours doesn't it ? Certainly the ROI call theirs a tricolour.

• Options
    Wide Stripe
    Bottom Right
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

Only at sea.Stratford is on land
    In all fairness I've never heard of the Union Stratford either

• Options
    The flag should be overprinted with 'this way up' and 'this way round'
    and a series of little arrows pointed to where the pole should be labelled 'flagpole this way'.
    Could happen.
  • Options

I had one flying (upside down) outside my house for the London Olympics and a guy knocked and asked if I was in distress or had a dead body on board !

Top Man.

You should have said, "yes, I am I distress because I murdered the last person who knocked on my door to tell me my flag was upsidown and his blood is making a mess on my carpet"
  • Options
    Polish Flag

Indonesian Flag

:wink:
  • Options

Stars and stripes-usa
    Tricolour- France.

Are there others?

White duster
    Red Duster
    Jolly Roger
  • Options
    Without looking it up which US state has a union flag as part of its state flag?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will nail my colours to the mast (right way up of course) and say that I am with Addickted.
    If you flew the Polish flag upside down people would think you were from Indonesia.
  • Options

:smile:

My son was calling the Ivory Coast woman the Irish lady the other night when we went to the athletics !!
  • Options

Stars and stripes-usa
    Tricolour- France.

Are there others?

We don't give a fuck about anyone.

North Korea
  • Options
    I get narked here when people call me a Brit.......Im English ffs.

:)
  • Options
    Dannebrog - Denmark.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Stars and stripes-usa
    Tricolour- France.

Are there others?

Good question. I believe that the Italian and Belgian flags are also called tricolours. The Stars and Stripes is also called Old Glory. The Chinese flag goes by the less than catchy name Five-Star Red Flag... aha, I found a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flag_names

• Options

Without looking it up which US state has a union flag as part of its state flag?

Hawaii
  • Options
    edited August 2017

One of the original/New England ones

Maine
    Connecticut
    New Hampshire
    Pennsylvania

Also flying the flag upside down is the international sign of distress. Robert Redford taught me that in The Last Castle
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I will nail my colours to the mast (right way up of course) and say that I am with Addickted.
    If you flew the Polish flag upside down people would think you were from Indonesia.

Well Indonesia IS in the southern hemisphere so they do hang their flag upside down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Aesthetically, to me, the incorrect way looks better.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Stig said:

HarryLime said:

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

No, Union Flag is correct.

As Harry Lime says, Stratford is on land
    'Jack' is absolutely fine. This 'Union Flag' business is actually quite new and is presumably another case self-important people re-writing history to serve their own ends:

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/
    My nephew once corrected me for calling the Union Jack when we weren't at sea because his teacher had fed him this nonsense that you can't call it a Jack at land. The thick cow.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Stig said:

HarryLime said:

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

'Jack' is absolutely fine. This 'Union Flag' business is actually quite new and is presumably another case self-important people re-writing history to serve their own ends:

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/
    My nephew once corrected me for calling the Union Jack when we weren't at sea because his teacher had fed him this nonsense that you can't call it a Jack at land. The thick cow.
    Turns out she's no thicker than some of our very own pedants.
  • Options
    Learn something new every day... Always thought it was changed to union flag for some kind of political correctness reason
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Fiiish said:

Stig said:

HarryLime said:

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

Turns out she's no thicker than some of our very own pedants.
    There are loads of common misconceptions that everyone has, doesn't necessarily make you thick but it does if you are teaching people rubbish.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I think the international maritime flag that represents the letter I (India) is, or used to be, known as The Chinaman's Arsehole.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ICS_India.svg
  • Options
    Be easy when the Scots and Northern Irish are off it in a few years.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Be easy when the Scots and Northern Irish are off it in a few years.

One for the orange men.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Hawaii
    Very well thanks, you?
  • Options

Stars and stripes-usa
    Tricolour- France.

Are there others?

The Portuguese one is called Brian...