Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Union Flag

13»

Comments

• se9addick said:

Without looking it up which US state has a union flag as part of its state flag?

Without looking it up which US state has a union flag as part of its state flag?

Hawaii
    Too easy. But also of note, I think that the first flag of the USA called the Grand Union flag looked like this:

In case you might be wondering where they got th eidea from, this is a flag used by the East India Company at that time:

Meanwhile, the flags of Canadian provinces Ontario, Manitoba and British Columbia also include the Union Jack.

The Union jack features elswhere in the USA. I'm sure there are a few but this, the City flag of Taunton MA, is an example:

Now of more import, as it was his issue in the first place, why is a large chunk of the Union jack missing from @Addickted's profile picture? Shocking behaviour!
  • Just watching the 4x100m medal presentation, why is the union flag/jack not featured on our tracksuit? Some obscure badge appears where other nations have their flag.
  • If I ever see our flag flown back to front I will go out of my way to find out who is responsible and attempt to get it put right.......I've done it quite a few times in fact.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Just watching the 4x100m medal presentation, why is the union flag/jack not featured on our tracksuit? Some obscure badge appears where other nations have their flag.

It on their shorts
  • Dansk_Red said:

Just watching the 4x100m medal presentation, why is the union flag/jack not featured on our tracksuit? Some obscure badge appears where other nations have their flag.

It on their shorts
    The tracksuit bottoms do not have any flag that I can see.
  • Dansk_Red said:

it's not just the tracksuits, we don't have it on the vests either. British Athletics decided to replace the union jack with their own logo at the last world championships. Greg Rutherford was very outspoken on twitter criticising the decision and was backed by most of the team but they've decided to stick with the stupid decision for these championships

at last years olympics the vests had the stylised lion/union jack mash up Team GB logo that all sports used
  • rina said:

Dansk_Red said:

it's not just the tracksuits, we don't have it on the vests either. British Athletics decided to replace the union jack with their own logo at the last world championships. Greg Rutherford was very outspoken on twitter criticising the decision and was backed by most of the team but they've decided to stick with the stupid decision for these championships

at last years olympics the vests had the stylised lion/union jack mash up Team GB logo that all sports used
    It's on the shorts
  • rina said:

Dansk_Red said:

It's on the shorts
    yes, but nearly every other country has it on the vest just as we did up until 2015. I don't know of any other country where the governing body is so up itself that it believes its own logo is more important than the national flag
  • I am saying in not on the special track suits they wear for the presentations.
  • rina said:

rina said:

Dansk_Red said:

It's on the shorts
    yes, but nearly every other country has it on the vest just as we did up until 2015. I don't know of any other country where the governing body is so up itself that it believes its own logo is more important than the national flag
    Does it really matter? Can't you tell who's who unless they're wearing a flag logo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

First off, congratulations to the 4 x100 m guys and girls for winning medals in the World Championship. Had a couple of qu D on the boys winning.

However, they draped themselves in Union Flags, some of which were upside down. This does annoy me for some reason.

I pointed this out to Mrs Addickted and suggested it should be part of the National Curriculum that children are taught the correct way the flag should be flown.

She suggested that I was a sad miserable old git and should just celebrate our success.

I know I'm right :-)

I get wound up by people getting this wrong as well. (also a miserable old git). However was it wrong? only wrong if there was either a flagpole (definitely not) or a white strip on the left. We are just used to seeing it that way round. If it was on a flagpole and the wind was blowing the other way it would be correct.

However I did see it the wrong way flying on the the arch leading to the Mall a couple of years ago. I couldn't even find where to complain to!
  • iainment said:

rina said:

rina said:

Dansk_Red said:

It's on the shorts
    Does it really matter? Can't you tell who's who unless they're wearing a flag logo?
    I could tell who was playing if we took the Charlton logo off our tops and replaced it with Roland's face. don't expect me to be happy about it though
  • redman said:

Addickted said:

First off, congratulations to the 4 x100 m guys and girls for winning medals in the World Championship. Had a couple of qu D on the boys winning.

However, they draped themselves in Union Flags, some of which were upside down. This does annoy me for some reason.

I pointed this out to Mrs Addickted and suggested it should be part of the National Curriculum that children are taught the correct way the flag should be flown.

She suggested that I was a sad miserable old git and should just celebrate our success.

I know I'm right :-)

I get wound up by people getting this wrong as well. (also a miserable old git). However was it wrong? only wrong if there was either a flagpole (definitely not) or a white strip on the left. We are just used to seeing it that way round. If it was on a flagpole and the wind was blowing the other way it would be correct.

However I did see it the wrong way flying on the the arch leading to the Mall a couple of years ago. I couldn't even find where to complain to!
    Definitely a miserable old git! Just celebrate.
  • Dansk_Red said:

I am saying in not on the special track suits they wear for the presentations.

It does have Great Britain across the back though.
    I think it's a bit of a marketing/fashion thing, we don't like to miss an opportunity to sell replica kits.
  • My guess is that the person who made the first Union flag fucked up and made it wrong and asymmetric. Nobody noticed and the way it was first flown has since become "the correct" way to fly it.
  • One of my bugbears, told shops (local Asda), even van or lorry drivers who have it displayed in their cabs behind them
  • I'd like it if CL had a flag. Can we work on this
  • Come on, own up, how many others have tried to flag @bobbles post, only to find they can't due to his elevated position? :smiley:

of course - I didnt realise he had passed his probation.
  • The flag could be our collective crest of pride

Who are the designers on here. We need a mock up flag!
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

The flag could be our collective crest of pride

Who are the designers on here. We need a mock up flag!

Maybe someone could photoshop in a camera and a notepad