Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Northampton | Sat 19 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    It's a shoo in.
    3-0 to Charlton.
  • Options
    Tippy-tappy Charlton beaten by long ball tactics.
    0 - 2
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

A narrow home win against Bristol Rovers and an away win against League 2 Exeter was all it took for a significant proportion of us to put our footballing beer goggles on. Out of 49 predictions listed on last week’s Plymouth preview thread, 36 Lifers predicted a Charlton victory and a mere 2 predicted a defeat. Whilst a handful expressed concern about our lack of strikers, only @golfaddick and @Chippycafc actually had the front to forecast an Addicks loss (they both said 2-0 as well). I got totally carried away and predicted a 1-1 draw.

It was nice while it lasted, but the “Countdown to Promotion 17/18” thread has now slipped down to page 3, and the Scouse gobshite’s “fans have got their team back” comment looks likely to rank as one of the stupidest of his many stupid quotes.
    For the realists any hint of early season optimism is now officially over. Like an inmate at Wormwood Scrubs who’s just enjoyed a rare conjugal visit from his missus, we must now head reluctantly back to our cells to contemplate the remainder of our sentence at HMP Roland.

Despite Karl’s quite brilliant “3 games in 3 days” intensive pre-season fitness programme, we’re already struggling with injuries, and fielding players who aren’t fully fit. It doesn’t help that, despite having had since last February to identify and obtain transfer targets, we still find ourselves with a paper-thin squad, scrabbling around at the end of the transfer window for a striker when it’s been apparent since Ajose bombed out that we’ve needed a proper goalscorer (not to mention some strength in depth in other areas). Karl’s pre-match bullshits this week in relation to signing a striker were particularly sobering: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15478987.Robinson_gives_worrying_update_on_Charlton_striker_search/.

Can anyone translate this ridiculous sentence into normal English?! – “It’s not my fault, it’s previous things that have been done and maybe people have been left to do what they need to do and put us in this position.”

Northampton look like ideal opposition, having lost all three of their opening encounters, but let’s not forget that Tubby McChatterbox oversaw our first defeat to the Cobblers in 53 years when we lost 2-1 last March, and I wouldn’t bet against him smashing another record by overseeing our first home defeat in 82 years. However, there does appear to be some fighting spirit in our threadbare squad, and I reckon that’ll be enough to earn us a draw.

1-1, Bauer gets his second of the season. Fat Karl states in his post-match press conference that Patrick Bauer’s goal-scoring feats have demonstrated that we don’t need to sign another forward. “Countdown to Promotion 17/18” thread slips down to page 6.

Going for 0-0 this week.
  • Options
    3-1 up the football league we go!
  • Options
    I don't have a good feeling about this for some reason. 2-0 defeat
  • Options
    I've a bad feeling about this game. Probably because of the bad feelings we've had for the last three years or so, I'm expecting it to go sour after a relatively promising pre season with our style of football showing encouraging early signs.
    2-0 Northampton and it's back to doubting Robinson. Konsa sold on Monday. Holmes out for season by Tuesday. We were making love by Wednesday. And on Thursday Friday Saturday, we chilled on Sunday.

• Options
    The more positive Northampton are the more chance we have. My fear is they try to put everybody behind the ball. I think this tactic does not play to our strengths. If we get a goal, opponents have to open up and we will kill some sides - but I dodn't think we are best equpiied to deal with negative tactics.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win

Let's face it, if we are not winning home games against teams who have lost all three games so far, then we are not going to have the strong season that most of us thought we would.
  • Options
    A dull 0-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-2...Solly with Screamer,they go 2 in front,Jacko pops up with an injury time equaliser from a corner...sends the scattered home fans delirious...singing..."when we win promotion". & then in the post match interview,Robbo breaks into a Pardewesque dance claiming,told ya all..."We got our Charlton back"

Fuck off Roland & Sell The Club
  • Options
    Comfortable 2-0 win, I hope
  • Options

The more positive Northampton are the more chance we have. My fear is they try to put everybody behind the ball. I think this tactic does not play to our strengths. If we get a goal, opponents have to open up and we will kill some sides - but I dodn't think we are best equpiied to deal with negative tactics.

I agree, although I think it will be the really physical, well drilled sides who have a little and large up front who can just lump it forward who we'll really struggle against. Like Millwall and Wimbledon (to name a couple) last year.

Our ability to get the first goal, especially early, will be really important in games like these. But even if that goal doesn't come, we need the confidence to keep plugging away and to keep pressing and have the faith that a moment of quality from us, or the ability to force a mistake from them, will see us through.
  • Options
    3-1 win, Holmes, Fosu and Magennis.
  • Options
    In case anyone is interested...

Holmes is 6/1 FGS on bet365
    Bauer is 25/1 and 9/1 anytime
    Magennis to celebrate his new contract is still fairly decent odds at 9/2 FGS
  • Options
    3 - 1 Ricky holmes hatrick number 2
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I woke up this morning (after a classic cameraman's work anxiety dream - no spare battery, running late etc etc) to the realisation that while we have an owner that prioritises having a nice dance after matches than actually winning them, it's always going to be a bloody nightmare supporting Charlton.

There are parallels with the Seed era, in that the owners weren't keen on dipping their hands in their pockets, but at least they knew the club's survival depended on winning matches and increasing the supporter base.

1-1 on the grounds that Northampton have made some good signings (keeper and Grimes especially) and are overdue a result.
  • Options
    Gobby's preferred system continues to produce lightweight tippy-tappy nonsense and no goals.

• Options
    99% possesion and one goal from Holmes to show for it.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win. 0-4
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 with Bauer equaliser: Mageniss last minute
  • Options
    2-1 with Bauer equaliser: Mageniss last minute
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I woke up this morning (after a classic cameraman's work anxiety dream - no spare battery, running late etc etc) to the realisation that while we have an owner that prioritises having a nice dance after matches than actually winning them, it's always going to be a bloody nightmare supporting Charlton.

There are parallels with the Seed era, in that the owners weren't keen on dipping their hands in their pockets, but at least they knew the club's survival depended on winning matches and increasing the supporter base.

1-1 on the grounds that Northampton have made some good signings (keeper and Grimes especially) and are overdue a result.

Hey, hey, hey, aren't you retired now? Those days are behind you!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

Hey, hey, hey, aren't you retired now? Those days are behind you!
    It hasn't sunk in to my subconscious yet!
  • Options
    2-0. Magennis and Holmes.
  • Options
    0-1 KR berates teams for wanting silly fees for strikers
  • Options
    CHARLTON | Amos, Solly (c), Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu, Holmes, Clarke, Magennis. #cafc
  • Options
    SUBS | Phillips, Sarr, Konsa, Jackson, Aribo, Ahearne-Grant, Hackett-Fairchild. #cafc
  • Options

Reeves misses out again :/

Other than that, pretty standard
  • Options
    No Reeves
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!