Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums: Pet Sounds vs Revolver

I think it's quite appropriate that these two have been drawn together. Both released in 1966 and of course, both artists had a huge influence on one another (particularly Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney). McCartney has made no secret of the fact that Pet Sounds is one of his all time favourites.

Speaking in 1990: It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. First of all, it was Brian's writing. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life---I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album.

Although The Beatles' previous album, Rubber Soul had a huge influence on Brian Wilson, I'm not sure how much that was the case with Revolver, but perhaps someone else who might know a bit more could shed some light there? It certainly is a shame that the U.S. release of Revolver omitted And Your Bird Can Sing and, (I think) I'm Only Sleeping. Again, If anyone knows why the fab four released different versions of their LPs on both sides of the Atlantic until Sgt. Pepper, please let me know.

I found this story on the recording sessions for Revolver quite interesting:

On Wednesday, June 1st, 1966, the Beatles, with a coterie of fellow madcaps including Marianne Faithful, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and George Harrison's wife, Pattie, gathered in Abbey Road's Studio Two to outfit "Yellow Submarine" with sound effects.

Zaniness had always been a special interest of John Lennon's, going back to his passion for The Goon Show. Getting into nautical mode, Lennon pressed Revolver engineer Geoff Emerick to record him singing underwater, after having first attempted to sing while gargling.

"While George Martin worked at dissuading him," Emerick later wrote, "I began thinking of an alternative. Might we have John sing into a mic that was immersed in water?"

A mic was duly wrapped in a condom for protection, prompting the Lennon wisecrack, "We don't want the microphone getting in the family way," and dropped in a milk carton.

The signal was distant and the gambit was abandoned, but no one at the time was aware how lucky Lennon had been. "It wasn't until many years later," Emerick concluded, "that I realized with horror that the microphone we were using was phantom-powered – meaning that it actually was a live electrical object. In conjunction with the 240-volt system used in England, any of us, including Lennon, could easily have been electrocuted, and I would have gone down in history as the first recording engineer to kill a client in the studio."

How they Line Up:

Pet Sounds ---------------------------------Revolver
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice------------------------1. Taxman
2. You Still Believe in Me----------------------2. Eleanor Rigby
3. That's Not Me ----------------------------3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)----4. Love You To
5. I'm Waiting For The Day --------------------5. Here, There and Everywhere
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile -------------------6. Yellow Submarine
7. Sloop John B ------------------------------7. She Said She Said
8. God Only Knows --------------------------8. Good Day Sunshine
9. I Know There's an Answer-------------------9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. Here Today-----------------------------10. For No One
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times ---------11. Doctor Robert
12. Pet Sounds------------------------------12. I Want To Tell You
13. Caroline, No-----------------------------13. Got To Get You Into My Life
-------------------------------------------14. Tomorrow Never Knows

Key Player ----------------------------------Key Player
God Only Knows-----------------------------Tomorrow Never Knows

So, which is your favourite? Unfortunately, YouTube isn't great for these so I haven't posted any links. The Revolver playlist on YouTube had P.S. I Love you from the Beatles' debut LP (which was released almost four years prior to Revolver) on it, so that won't do!

The winning album will be in the quarter finals. I'll probably leave this up for about a week before the next 1v1.

Discussions, facts opinions etc. are all very welcome, but don't forget to vote!

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Spotify might be better.

Much prefer Revolver.

Pet sounds has some outstanding tracks such as God Only Knows but once you get past the technical wizardry many of the songs don't stand up that well imo.

Revolver is a better album as in overall feel although I think Yellow submarine, while great fun, kills the vibe, man
  • I'm re-listening now, but provisionally expect to go for Revolver. Mainly because I've only heard Pet Sounds complete on one occasion, and I can just remember the crushing disappointment because my mate had over-hyped it. Will give it another go before confirming though.
  • I think it's quite appropriate that these two have been drawn together. Both released in 1966 and of course, both artists had a huge influence on one another (particularly Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney). McCartney has made no secret of the fact that Pet Sounds is one of his all time favourites.

Speaking in 1990: It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. First of all, it was Brian's writing. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life---I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album.

Although The Beatles' previous album, Rubber Soul had a huge influence on Brian Wilson, I'm not sure how much that was the case with Revolver, but perhaps someone else who might know a bit more could shed some light there? It certainly is a shame that the U.S. release of Revolver omitted And Your Bird Can Sing and, (I think) I'm Only Sleeping. Again, If anyone knows why the fab four released different versions of their LPs on both sides of the Atlantic until Sgt. Pepper, please let me know.

On Wednesday, June 1st, 1966, the Beatles, with a coterie of fellow madcaps including Marianne Faithful, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and George Harrison's wife, Pattie, gathered in Abbey Road's Studio Two to outfit "Yellow Submarine" with sound effects.

Zaniness had always been a special interest of John Lennon's, going back to his passion for The Goon Show. Getting into nautical mode, Lennon pressed Revolver engineer Geoff Emerick to record him singing underwater, after having first attempted to sing while gargling.

"While George Martin worked at dissuading him," Emerick later wrote, "I began thinking of an alternative. Might we have John sing into a mic that was immersed in water?"

A mic was duly wrapped in a condom for protection, prompting the Lennon wisecrack, "We don't want the microphone getting in the family way," and dropped in a milk carton.

The signal was distant and the gambit was abandoned, but no one at the time was aware how lucky Lennon had been. "It wasn't until many years later," Emerick concluded, "that I realized with horror that the microphone we were using was phantom-powered – meaning that it actually was a live electrical object. In conjunction with the 240-volt system used in England, any of us, including Lennon, could easily have been electrocuted, and I would have gone down in history as the first recording engineer to kill a client in the studio."

How they Line Up:

So, which is your favourite? Unfortunately, YouTube isn't great for these so I haven't posted any links. The Revolver playlist on YouTube had P.S. I Love you from the Beatles' debut LP (which was released almost four years prior to Revolver) on it, so that won't do!

The winning album will be in the quarter finals. I'll probably leave this up for about a week before the next 1v1.

Discussions, facts opinions etc. are all very welcome, but don't forget to vote!

Brian Wilson is on record as saying that Revolver inspired him to greater things and that his long lost masterpiece (SMiLE - greater than Pet Sounds in my opinion) came from his competitive spirit to "outdo" The Beatles
  • PeterGage said:

I think it's quite appropriate that these two have been drawn together. Both released in 1966 and of course, both artists had a huge influence on one another (particularly Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney). McCartney has made no secret of the fact that Pet Sounds is one of his all time favourites.

How they Line Up:

Brian Wilson is on record as saying that Revolver inspired him to greater things and that his long lost masterpiece (SMiLE - greater than Pet Sounds in my opinion) came from his competitive spirit to "outdo" The Beatles
    Ah, thanks for that.
  • Pet Sounds is a brilliant album. God Only Knows is as close to a perfect pop ballad as you can get. Wouldn't It Be Nice is a superb song and Sloop John B has been belted out on rugby trips for half a century.

But Revolver wins this head to head by light years. It has everything. The politics of Taxman, the "amen cadence" that ends Eleanor Rigby (those two notes alone are enough to highlight what a genius McCartney was). Got To Get You Into My Life was at least ten years ahead of its time. But Tomorrow Never Knows (with Ringo's drum sample probably predating hip hop by a generation) is an astonishing piece of work, still fresh now.

Pet Sounds is great. Revolver is much, much better than that.
  • PeterGage said:

How they Line Up:

Ah, thanks for that.
    I wonder how much greater "Pet Sounds" would have been if the release date was delayed to allow the inclusion of "Good Vibrations", which had been partially written then but not completed in time?
  • I think I already know my answer, Revolver, but will play them both again in their entirety tomorrow to be sure my opinion hasn't changed.
  • Both terrific, "Pet Sounds" edges it to win. Favourite "Here Today", I expect most Beachboys fans will disagree. As a concept album I think it beats Revolver easily, but then Sgt Pepper came along........
  • Pet Sounds is a fantastic album and evidences the genius of Brian Wilson.

Revolver on the other hand is musically the finest album from the most influential band in the history of popular music. It changed everything and set the standard for decades to come.

Easy one for me - Revolver.
  • Revolver for me
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    Revolver better album. Pet sounds has the best 2 songs though.
    So Revolver for me.
  • Lyrically PS is still very much in early 60s pop love mode, no sex before marriage.
  • Lyrically PS is still very much in early 60s pop love mode, no sex before marriage.

I cant disagree more. if you think about popular but real bland songs at that time (Cliff Richard: We are all going on a summer holiday) and the Beatles singing "she loves you yeah, yeah, yeah". Pet Sounds was the first real game changer, and has been stated, provided the platform for a great rivalry between BBs and The Beatles, which took music to a higher level.
  • "Wouldn't it be nice if we were older
    Then we wouldn't have to wait so long
    And wouldn't it be nice to live together
    In the kind of world where we belong

You know its gonna make it that much better
    When we can say goodnight and stay together"

"our day breaks, your mind aches,
    You find that all her words
    Of kindness linger on when she no longer needs you.
    She wakes up, she makes up,
    She takes her time and doesn't
    Feel she has to hurry she no longer needs you.

And in her eyes you see nothing,
    No sign of love behind the tears cried for no one.
    A love that should have lasted years.

You want her, you need her,
    And yet you don't believe her
    When she says her love is dead you think she needs you"

She loves You and Summer Holiday were a few years earlier but the BB were still in that safe US radio mode
  • I can't split them.
    Both albums have stood the test of time. Both contain some incredible songs. Lyrically, Revolver is more evolved and more interesting. Musically it's Pet Sounds which perhaps has greater depth.

I'll vote for Revolver, although I probably enjoy playing Pet Sounds more, especially when I'm feeling .... reflective.
  • "Wouldn't it be nice if we were older

She loves You and Summer Holiday were a few years earlier but the BB were still in that safe US radio mode

Hmm, a bit selective to strengthen your argument. The words to "I wasn't Made For the Times" demonstrates to me how advanced Brian's recordings were to most of the competition around at that time (but I do acknowledge that Brian wasn't the lyricist on most of his records - If my memory serves me right, it was Peter Asher that wrote the words on that and most of Pet Sounds).
  • For me it's Pet Sounds. Funnily enough, both albums have songs I detest: Sloop John B/Yellow Submarine. Personal favourite tracks: 'Wouldn't it be Nice' - (young love in a nutshell) and 'Here,There and Everywhere.' The track that decides it for me is 'God Only Knows'. Also perhaps influencing my choice is that I never saw the Beatles live but only seems yesterday that I saw the Beach Boys at Crystal Palace in 1972 in the pouring rain.
  • For me it's Pet Sounds. Funnily enough, both albums have songs I detest: Sloop John B/Yellow Submarine. Personal favourite tracks: 'Wouldn't it be Nice' - (young love in a nutshell) and 'Here,There and Everywhere.' The track that decides it for me is 'God Only Knows'. Also perhaps influencing my choice is that I never saw the Beatles live but only seems yesterday that I saw the Beach Boys at Crystal Palace in 1972 in the pouring rain.

Sloop John B was a standard of course, and agree, both songs grate a little.

I have a friend who hates the Beatles but likes the Ringo songs.
  • Revolver for me by a country mile
  • PeterGage said:

"Wouldn't it be nice if we were older

Hmm, a bit selective to strengthen your argument. The words to "I wasn't Made For the Times" demonstrates to me how advanced Brian's recordings were to most of the competition around at that time (but I do acknowledge that Brian wasn't the lyricist on most of his records - If my memory serves me right, it was Peter Asher that wrote the words on that and most of Pet Sounds).
    One song where as the Beatles were lyrically far ahead on nearly all the tracks on Revolver. Even yellow Submarine is silly goon style nonsense. PS lyrics sound very early "lets spend some time together" style to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's Revolver for me by a country mile.

The US version only had 11 tracks with I'm Only Sleeping, Dr Robert and And Your Bird Can Sing left off (they were included on Yesterday and Today, an 11 track US album which has no UK equivalent. No idea who made the decisions on this - maybe the record companies managed to eek out even more profit there.

• Another vote for Revolver.
  • Pet Sounds, I couldn`t stand the Beatles.
  • I like "Sloop John B" but it sticks out like a site thumb. It has clearly been shoe horned in. Might have to let my head rule my heart here... The Beach Boys are possibly my all time favourite band, and Pet Sounds is their classic album... But for me, Revolver is the better album.

Revolver for me (I won't be surprised if it wins the whole contest)
  • edited August 2017
    PeterGage said:

"Wouldn't it be nice if we were older

Was going to post the lyrics of that song in response. Pet Sounds saw the Beach Boys move slightly away from the whole surfing/girls etc. thing and towards more serious, reflective lyrics, so much so that the other members of the band and the American public took time to fully appreciate it.

Should mention that Revolver is more lyrically interesting and varied overall though.
  • I'm voting for Pet Sounds. It's one of my favourites and the only one I voted for that made the final cut.
  • Chizz said:

Pet Sounds is a brilliant album. God Only Knows is as close to a perfect pop ballad as you can get. Wouldn't It Be Nice is a superb song and Sloop John B has been belted out on rugby trips for half a century.

But Revolver wins this head to head by light years. It has everything. The politics of Taxman, the "amen cadence" that ends Eleanor Rigby (those two notes alone are enough to highlight what a genius McCartney was). Got To Get You Into My Life was at least ten years ahead of its time. But Tomorrow Never Knows (with Ringo's drum sample probably predating hip hop by a generation) is an astonishing piece of work, still fresh now.

Pet Sounds is great. Revolver is much, much better than that.

SJB is a standard, a Caribbean folk song from way back, and I doubt the rugby boys are singing the Beach Boys version...
  • Personally, I find Revolver to be a generally downbeat and quite depressing listen. I can appreciate the merit in the songwriting but it's a record I definitely have to be in a certain mood for.

Pet Sounds is a thousand miles ahead of Revolver in terms of composition, production and instrumentation. Everybody takes it for granted now but it was truly groundbreaking at the time. I could listen to it all day.