Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rotherham v Charlton | Sat 26 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Rotherham United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26th August 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland)

Introduction

Well that’s one away trip done and dusted on the Addicks tour away from the Valley… Tuesday night saw the unsurprising exit from the League Cup with Norwich defeating a weakened Charlton side (4-1 the score-line from that match). Yet once again its time to return to League action as we now probably face one of the sterner tests as Charlton make the trip up to Yorkshire to face newly relegated: Rotherham United.

The Opposition
Name: Rotherham United | Manager: Paul Warne
League Record: (P)-3 | (W)-1 | (D)-0 | (L)-2 | (GS)-6 | (GC)-4

When Neil Warnock led Rotherham to safety two years ago and then promptly resigned it was not surprising that they’d be in trouble the very next season… 28-points was the best that the Millers could manage and relegation was never in doubt when finally confirmed, especially with the weak resources that Paul Warne was left to deal with.

This term though its not been the quickest of starts either and one lesson taken already is the fact that the Millers need to learn to win away from home if they stand any chance of promotion, their sole win to date, their sole home game to date coming against Southend United and an impressive 5-0 victory could prove that the New York Stadium will be a bit of a fortress this season and that there will be no easy win for Charlton this Saturday.

The squad that Paul Warne has been left with has certainly undergone some changes… 13-players have left the club including Danny Ward who moved to Cardiff for £1.6m yet there have been incomings too (10 in total) which include; Kieffer Moore on loan from Ipswich who sits on four goals for this term (the second highest), there will also be a reunion with ex-Academy player: Semi Ajayi now a regular in defence for the Millers having signed on a permanent deal from Cardiff City in the Summer.

Rotherham's Last League Fixture

Charlton Team News
The League Cup was never going to be a priority for the Addicks this season and the biggest relief is that Tuesday night saw no injuries to key players… Following on from an impressive 4-1 win over Northampton, its unlikely there will be many (if any) changes to the starting eleven meaning we should see yet another unchanged Charlton team heading into what could be a potential International Break the following weekend.

It’s on the substitutes bench we should see some changes; Karl Robinson after our win on Saturday said that Ben Reeves should return from injury this weekend so could make some sort of appearance (to replace Billy Clarke, one of our best players this season would certainly leave the majority of fans in shock), whilst Lee Novak, having scored against Norwich on the weekend should also return to the bench for what could be his last Charlton outing should he leave (as rumoured) before the transfer window closes on Thursday evening.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Crofts | Reeves | Ahearne-Grant | Novak

Prediction
Will Rotherham be strong at home this season, with just the one match / one win its difficult to tell yet with Charlton having already lost once away we ourselves cant afford to lose too many more at this early stage if we want to be promoted ourselves… A statement on intent will be dealt if we can replicate the score-line from our last visit to Rotherham yet a draw wouldn’t be a surprise.

Comments

• hopefully can get a win, would be a shame if not after losing midweek, as i do believe a strong team would of beaten norwich, as mentioned if we want to get autos we need to be taking at least a draw from away games, after really should of beating plymouth maximum points here keeps us on track, safe travels to all those heading up.
  • 4-2 Charlton, No decent shots were used up in the last game, so we have a few in reserve to unleash in the second half of this one...
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • edited August 2017
    2-0 Charlton. Big Mag and Fosu finally getting a goal which his form deserves!
  • edited August 2017
    First draw of the season 1 - 1 (The Petts Wood Pele come on late as sub and scores)
  • Even if they had Shane Warne as there manager trying to give us a few leg breaks, still 3-1 Charlton
  • Think this one will be a draw and a decent enough point.
  • I fancy the draw also but if we hang in why not snatch a late winner, journey home unbeaten anyway.
  • That bench looks massively stronger with Novak, Crofts and Reeves available

Hard game to call, that 5-0 win over Southend was a stunning result, but was probably a one off. 1-1 draw
  • I fancy a low scoring draw ((:<), I just don't think we are attack minded enough to be confident of too many away wins .. last time I saw us at the NY we were emphatic 4-1 winners, BigMac (remember him) with 2 goals in probably his best game for us .. a repeat of that score would be terrific, though I just can't see it happening

Rotherham United 1 v CAFC 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh shit Trevor Kettle is in charge. Awful when he is in charge of our games
  • I can't see Rotherham being anything other than whipping boys for the teams that have promotion aspirations so this being the case I would expect a Charlton win.

So 2-2 it is then.

• Run out of happy pills...

1-0 to Rotherhithe
  • Can't wait till Saturday
    2-1 win with me bumping the promotion thread at 5 to 5
  • edited August 2017

That bench looks massively stronger with Novak, Crofts and Reeves available

Hard game to call, that 5-0 win over Southend was a stunning result, but was probably a one off. 1-1 draw

This must be our strongest 18 man squad with only Marshall and perhaps Page missing. I would think Lennon would struggle to get in front of Sarr and Konsa. I feel confident for some reason 1-2
  • Rotherham look a very, very decent side at this level. Seems like they play 4-4-2 and have the ability to play direct. I think these are the kinds of games where our pressing has to be excellent because you can force mistakes when League One defenders are on the ball.

Heart says win that will make the rest of the league sit up and take notice, head says draw which I think would be a good result.
  • edited August 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 and our message board goes insane afterwards about how we need a striker.
  • I don't think Reeves will be on the bench.
  • dickplumb said:

I don't think Reeves will be on the bench.

Agree. At worse he comes off the bench in the second half.
  • Let me qualify that statement. I don't think Reeves will be in the squad.
  • Thinking a draw for this

1-1
  • Kettle is almost as big a c*** as Keith Stroud
  • Hmm, Trevor Kettle. Who will he send off ?
  • Last minute pen defeat with Kettle reffing and as he leaves the pitch he is found to be wearing a Palarse shirt.
  • The Charlton new era (version 4) snaps into gear with more pulsating football from Gobby's preferred formation.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!