Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Community Trust & Football Club launch first LGBT+ Friendly team assocaitied with professional club

Good to see us leading the way as we did with Anti-racism work back in the early 90s.

Comments

• Hopefully quick, seeing as they're a football team.
  • WSSWSS
    edited August 2017
    Queer or Questioning their sexual identity according to Google.
  • Sponsored links:

• Most commonly "Queer," although as WSS points out it can be"Questioning" as well.

"Queer" has become a sort of umbrella term for gay, lesbian, bi, trans, and gender/sexuality non-conforming people. It's pretty broadly used at this point within the community, at least from what I've seen.

That said, it is not used by everyone. "Queer" used to be a slur for gay people (still is when used in a certain way). Just personal experience, my mum's two best friends when I was growing up were a gay couple and it's something I don't think they'd ever use because they are old enough to have had it used against them as a slur (as an aside, they're part of a lost generation of gay men here in the US, the generation that saw hundreds of thousands if not millions die from HIV/AIDS). So just something to be mindful of.
  • SDAddick said:

So fucking proud to be Charlton. So proud that our club captain is there to stand alongside this movement of inclusivity.

Agree 100%
  • SDAddick said:

Most commonly "Queer," although as WSS points out it can be"Questioning" as well.

"Queer" has become a sort of umbrella term for gay, lesbian, bi, trans, and gender/sexuality non-conforming people. It's pretty broadly used at this point within the community, at least from what I've seen.

That said, it is not used by everyone. "Queer" used to be a slur for gay people (still is when used in a certain way). Just personal experience, my mum's two best friends when I was growing up were a gay couple and it's something I don't think they'd ever use because they are old enough to have had it used against them as a slur (as an aside, they're part of a lost generation of gay men here in the US, the generation that saw hundreds of thousands if not millions die from HIV/AIDS). So just something to be mindful of.
    i would never have guessed "queer" as i thought it was still used as a slur
  • Well done Charlton.
  • Well done Charlton.

Agreed, well done Charlton.
  • News item on itv London coming up any minute now
  • Excellent, well done to everyone involved.
  • Excellent stuff. Proud moment for our club. Pioneers once again.
  • Good report on breakfast tv this morning. Well done to all involved.
  • bit more effort needed getting a winning team on the pitch imo.getting a bit bored with being great at community/inclusion/race equality/having a nice flat pitch/ kids on bouncy castles before matches.Lets get a winning team in the right division and then I might be interested in this stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a nice little write up in the Sun on Sunday about the CACTI team.

I raised that we should play youth team games and/or ladies team games at The Valley - both casually and at Target 20k meetings. Still think it would get bums on seats earlier, more merchandise sales but would also be great for experience of playing on a bigger stage. Our pitch can handle it now so still think it's a sensible idea.
  • I link the two because it says "CHARLTON ATHLETIC" community trust.Spot the link?
  • timken said:

bit more effort needed getting a winning team on the pitch imo.getting a bit bored with being great at community/inclusion/race equality/having a nice flat pitch/ kids on bouncy castles before matches.Lets get a winning team in the right division and then I might be interested in this stuff.

Don't see why we should have to choose, having all of those things should be our goal.
  • I dont necessarily think it has to be a choice but it seems odd that whilst we are crap on the pitch we seem to concentrate on all this peripheral stuff. Almost as a means to take peoples attention off of the failures on the pitch.
    When we were in the Prem we didnt seem to be quite so worried about the "holy joe/right on political correctness "stuff.co-incidence maybe.
  • timken said:

I dont necessarily think it has to be a choice but it seems odd that whilst we are crap on the pitch we seem to concentrate on all this peripheral stuff. Almost as a means to take peoples attention off of the failures on the pitch.
    When we were in the Prem we didnt seem to be quite so worried about the "holy joe/right on political correctness "stuff.co-incidence maybe.

Alt-right you.
  • upbeats cant be compared with lbgtq.I assume that LGBTQ isnt [and shouldnt be] seen as a disability so of course we should spend time,money effort etc on people less able to help themselves.But if you want to be doing community stuff to help people then why not set up a blind team and a deaf team and etc.... but why an LBGTQ team why are this group worthy of their own special football team?