Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most Over-rated Albums Of All-Time

What are the albums everyone said were great but you knew were an "emperor has no clothes" situation?

Springsteen - The Rising (to not like it meant you were with the terrorists. But as a longtime Springsteen fan with 50 concerts and hundreds of bootlegs, this album was not very good)

Dylan - Modern Times (If this was released by anyone else but Dylan, no one would own a copy. Old fart artists have a very low bar or perceived quality)

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (everyone woke up after missing the boat on "Sister" and decided to like this one as penance, instead. But it is too long and frankly, boring)

Who- Tommy. (god I despise this album. I hate all concept albums and anything that feels overproduced. There may be a few good songs on here but this is when the "Pete is a genius" nonsense went viral. To me this was proof of mainstream rock dying in the 70s. PS- "Who's Next" is one of my favorites of all time.)

Comments

• Options
    Anything by Def Leppard
  • Options
    The best of Wham
  • Options

The best of Wham

Was that ever lauded? Or is it actually just worse than everyone says it was?
  • Options
    kafka said:

Bat Out of Hell. Meat Loaf. Be honest,this is mediocre US soft rock with no redeeming features. Stayed in the charts for hundreds of weeks. No idea why.

• Options
    Anything by Elton John. I jest of course but he's never been my cup of tea.
  • Options
    kafka said:

Bat Out of Hell. Meat Loaf. Be honest,this is mediocre US soft rock with no redeeming features. Stayed in the charts for hundreds of weeks. No idea why.

Of course it's soft rock, but it's brilliantly written and produced.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Joshua Tree

kafka said:

What !!!!!! 2 of the best albums ever produced & are in my all time top 20.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (everyone woke up after missing the boat on "Sister" and decided to like this one as penance, instead. But it is too long and frankly, boring)

Daydream nation is thier masterpiece imho.
  • Options
    I took a look at the Rolling Stone top 100 albums and the one album in there that disappointed me was Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life. Too long, too self-indulgent and just not as good as the previous few albums. But others consider it his masterpiece.
  • Options
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

I really want to like this record, but jazz music isn't good for my equilibrium.
  • Options
    Bat out of hell for me...utter tosh.
  • Options
    Anything that wins the Mercury music prize
  • Options
    Dolly Partons Biggestits Vol 3.
  • Options
    The Stone Roses

The Joshua Tree

Every Beatles album
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Umm, not sure. Agree 100% with regard to Badly Drawn Boy – The Hour of Bewilderbeast - what a pile of crap. But quite enjoyed both Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now and Elbow – The Seldom Seen Kid.

Anyway, I'm going for Is This It by The Strokes. The album title could well describe my disappointment after a piffling 36 minutes of utter bland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Missed It said:

Umm, not sure. Agree 100% with regard to Badly Drawn Boy – The Hour of Bewilderbeast - what a pile of crap. But quite enjoyed both Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now and Elbow – The Seldom Seen Kid.

Anyway, I'm going for Is This It by The Strokes. The album title could well describe my disappointment after a piffling 36 minutes of utter bland.
    I'll let you have Elbow, but I think they go out of their way to pick difficult records.
  • Options
    Prince - Purple rain
  • Options
    Adele - 21

Kings of Leon - Only by the night
  • Options
    The Strokes Is This It was either the punchline to a joke I was excluded from or was a case of the emperor's new clothes. I didn't get them or most of the The bands that followed at all
  • Options
    I will cry if Ed Sheeran's Divide is mentioned....
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Rob said:

The bloke has only written some of the greatest songs this of the last century.

Although Elton is still releasing albums!
  • Options

Rob said:

The bloke has only written some of the greatest songs this century.
    Has he written any songs this century?
  • Options

Rob said:

The bloke has only written some of the greatest songs this century.
    This century?
  • Options
    His early stuff was ok but then forty years of dross.