Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most Over-rated Albums Of All-Time

Comments

• Options
    Tales of Topographic Oceans

Yes
  • Options
    Uboat said:

The Stone Roses

The Joshua Tree

Every Beatles album

Yes

Yes

No!
  • Options
    The Moana Soundtrack.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Sgt Pepper by The Beatles. Very few good songs and a lot of boring ones. Nowhere near as good as Revolver or Abbey Road, for me.

OK Computer by Radiohead. I love Radiohead, but this album just doesn't do it for me. Subterranean Homesick Alien, Let Down, Lucky, The Tourist, No Surprises - all boring. Electioneering isn't great either. That's too many substandard tracks for a classic album. Airbag, Paranoid Android and Karma Police are great, but three songs is not enough to make up for the rest.
  • Options

kafka said:

Bat Out of Hell. Meat Loaf. Be honest,this is mediocre US soft rock with no redeeming features. Stayed in the charts for hundreds of weeks. No idea why.

Wash your mouth out . It's a fantastic album
    It's not my sort of thing at all, but it was produced by Todd Rundgren, who only agreed to produce it because he thought it was hilarious. He didn't take it seriously at all. That said he lived off that album for years.
  • Options
    'Blue' by Joni MItchell anyone? Thought not.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Anything that wins the Mercury music prize

THIS. I bought Bring it on by Gomez in the early 90's............utter rubbish. Only one decent track (Whippin' Piccadily")

Also anything by The Eels.
  • Options
    I didn't think elton John wrote the words, only melodies
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

I really want to like this record, but jazz music isn't good for my equilibrium.

Isn't good for your equilibrium? How do you mean? I'm genuinely intrigued - as a huge jazz fan and practitioner, I always wonder why people can't get into it.
  • Options
    Bat out of Hell is mostly fine, but for me that 'if you offered me your throat' bit totally ruins it which I find a shame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our Charlton youtubers first single didnt make the charts but makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqvpQqfJ9Uk
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PopIcon said:

I really want to like this record, but jazz music isn't good for my equilibrium.

Isn't good for your equilibrium? How do you mean? I'm genuinely intrigued - as a huge jazz fan and practitioner, I always wonder why people can't get into it.
    I actually gave the record another go today, couldn't get past two minutes.

There's no melody or hooks to grasp on to. Jazz music doesn't feel like it has a structure, it's just like a jam session.

• Options
    Uboat said:

The Stone Roses

The Joshua Tree

Every Beatles album

Uboat....may I ask how old you are?
  • Options
    Anything by Gorrilaz, I just don't get the hype.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Anything that wins the Mercury music prize

THIS. I bought Bring it on by Gomez in the early 90's............utter rubbish. Only one decent track (Whippin' Piccadily")

Also anything by The Eels.
    I really like that album, I still listen to it every summer...
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Bat out of Hell is mostly fine, but for me that 'if you offered me your throat' bit totally ruins it which I find a shame.

I bet you say that to all the boys
  • Options

Yes

This album is, if anything, underrated
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PaddyP17 said:

PopIcon said:

There's no melody or hooks to grasp on to. Jazz music doesn't feel like it has a structure, it's just like a jam session.

I 100% get why you'd think that.

The opening track to Kind of Blue is So What, which was vastly different to all previous jazz output. Davis had grown tired of furiously navigating bebop chord changes - for an example, see Yardbird Suite, by Charlie Parker (this is in fact a little slow compared to his usual output), and sought a new way to conceptualise jazz. The result was a move away from the restrictions of 32-bar head-solo-head stuff with lots of chord changes, to things like So What. It's basically two chords - or one, when you consider the second chord is the same, but up a tone.

It's perhaps the zenith of modal jazz/cool jazz, as opposed to bebop and hard bop (the really fast stuff), and was very much a reaction to jazz pre-1959. So that's why it doesn't feel centralised, or structured - because it consciously wasn't.

To point you in the direction of jazz with what you might consider more structure, and definitely has a melody, I'd like to recommend this version of Autumn Leaves, by Chet Baker, where you have a more traditional head-solos-head structure. (First example off the top of my head - any jazz based on the blues works, too, for instance, Freddie Freeloader which funnily enough is on Kind of Blue.)

It's a very varied style of music, and I totally get why Kind of Blue doesn't feel structured. The bass riff at the start of So What is the "hook", and the horn stabs. But what Davis was doing, was playing with the ideas of jazz and changing the rules. It's meant to be tonally ambiguous. Hell, the chord on the piano in the head has its own Wikipedia article - to give a quick summary of it, it says the chord can be repurposed in almost all musical and theoretical contexts, hence its importance and its ambiguity.

----------------

I've gone on a huge one here - my apologies, as this was much of my dissertation, and I'm really enthusiastic about it. But I feel it's important to note Kind of Blue's context, and why it was created. I'd also think it's unfair to call it overrated - rather, just not to everyone's tastes. But in the context of jazz (which I clearly love), it's an absolute behemoth and has a rightful place at the top of most jazzers' lists.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PopIcon said:

PaddyP17 said:

PopIcon said:

To point you in the direction of jazz with what you might consider more structure, and definitely has a melody, I'd like to recommend this version of Autumn Leaves, by Chet Baker, where you have a more traditional head-solos-head structure.
    Thanks for posting that, just had a listen. Did you ever get into any of the heavier stuff like Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz for example? I find it enjoyable but really need to be in the right mood for it. I also understand that I'll never have the musical knowledge and understanding to fully appreciate it.
  • Options
    OK Computer - could never get why this is regularly rated as one of top albums ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Tubular Bells
    Dark Side of the Moon
    The Wall
    Tommy

and LOTS more too many to mention

all old uns as I rarely listen to 'modern' whole albums nowadays other than 'greatest hits' , modern jazz and southern rock which is not too popular over here..
    rarely have I heard an album, even a classic, timeless one, when all the tracks are super and unforgettable
  • Options

Tubular Bells
    Dark Side of the Moon
    The Wall
    Tommy

all old uns as I rarely listen to 'modern' whole albums nowadays other than 'greatest hits' , modern jazz and southern rock which is not too popular over here..
    rarely have I heard an album, even a classic, timeless one, when all the tracks are super and unforgettable

I agree with Tommy and The Wall (they were shit) , but Tubular Bells and Dark Side of the Moon were diff'rent mustard.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Sgt Pepper by The Beatles. Very few good songs and a lot of boring ones. Nowhere near as good as Revolver or Abbey Road, for me.

OK Computer by Radiohead. I love Radiohead, but this album just doesn't do it for me. Subterranean Homesick Alien, Let Down, Lucky, The Tourist, No Surprises - all boring. Electioneering isn't great either. That's too many substandard tracks for a classic album. Airbag, Paranoid Android and Karma Police are great, but three songs is not enough to make up for the rest.

And that's why music is so wonderfully subjective! Let Down in my top 5 tracks of all time. Lyrics are brilliantly thought provoking. Feel it rather than hear it.
  • Options

Tubular Bells
    Dark Side of the Moon
    The Wall
    Tommy

I agree with Tommy and The Wall (they were shit) , but Tubular Bells and Dark Side of the Moon were diff'rent mustard.
    good in parts, dire in most others ((:>)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yes

This album is, if anything, underrated
    As it's going back a few years now, you hum it and I'll pick it up as we go along.
  • Options
    Going back to Jazz, I guess there is a difference between music that isn't to your taste or perhaps you ' just don't get' and music that is actually bad and therefore overrated. I know that a lot of the albums I really like don't come in the 'great' bracket. For example, I much prefer listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' debut album than Dark Side of the Moon (i know I will definitely be in the minority here), even though I recognise that DSOTM is much more varied and musically interesting.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Fair enough... still, give 'Blue in green' another listen.
    Bill Evans compositions are perfect for stumblers.
  • Options
    24 Red said:

'Blue' by Joni MItchell anyone? Thought not.

not as good as 'Court and Spark'
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PaddyP17 said:

PopIcon said:

Like your honesty, Jazz deserves no more respect than Milli Vanilli.
    So now give 'Transfigured Night' by Arnold Schoenberg a listen for unhooking therapy.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

PaddyP17 said:

PopIcon said:

Like your honesty, Jazz deserves no more respect than Milli Vanilli.
    So now give 'Transfigured Night' by Arnold Schoenberg a listen for unhooking therapy.
    Now Schoenberg is a composer I'm very interested in. Heard a string quartet piece that really gripped me. If anyone can recommend anything I'd be much obliged.