Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crawley Town v Charlton | Match Preview (and Match Thread)

Comments

• Options
    dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Team that I think will start

Phillips
    Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Barnes
    Aribo, Crofts
    Charles-cook, Reeves, Ahearne- Grant
    Hackett-Fairchild.

That's what I would like to see, would imagine Novak will start ahead of RHF though.
    No, that is the team that will start. It has been announced by Robinson. Novak and Jackson will be starting Saturday so have been left out of the starting eleven. Only four subs will be travelling as there will be a hard training session today. Subs will be Novak, Jackson, Lapslie and I presume Maynard - Brewer.

Yes I saw the team after posting, forgot about Magennis being away. Good shout!

Don't see the point in only taking 4 subs, surely better to take some youngsters and have the option there?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

That's what I would like to see, would imagine Novak will start ahead of RHF though.
    No, that is the team that will start. It has been announced by Robinson. Novak and Jackson will be starting Saturday so have been left out of the starting eleven. Only four subs will be travelling as there will be a hard training session today. Subs will be Novak, Jackson, Lapslie and I presume Maynard - Brewer.

Don't see the point in only taking 4 subs, surely better to take some youngsters and have the option there?
    Perhaps if they're not genuinely ready to be involved possibly a good thing not to give them the impression they are.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Sounds like there will be a good chance of Lapslie making his debut then.

Reeves cant be ready to play a full 90mins so will surely be replaced... Would that be the area that Lapslie would slot into or if he was to play would it be in place of either Aribo or Crofts?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Perhaps if they're not genuinely ready to be involved possibly a good thing not to give them the impression they are.
    Only player that I can think of missing is Umerah...?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Sounds like there will be a good chance of Lapslie making his debut then.

Reeves cant be ready to play a full 90mins so will surely be replaced... Would that be the area that Lapslie would slot into or if he was to play would it be in place of either Aribo or Crofts?
    I would suggest Aribo would push up to play the 10 and Lapslie would slot in at CM.
  • Options
    “Luckily with the rules this year, because we’ve lost Jay and Josh it’s allowed players who have played two starts so basically all my squad falls into the rules and regulations which is fortunate.
    Presumably Carabao Cup appearances count for this, so it's just as well we played weakened teams in that competition!

Still not a bad side, other than perhaps up top where Novak might have got a game if he wasn't needed on Saturday

Not sure why we're sending so few subs though, Crawley is hardly a long distance from Sparrow's Lane
  • Options
    Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

No point in taking Novak and risking him getting injured. Umerah would have been better. Bowry has already been on the bench so surely would have benefited from travelling, maybe Edwards.
  • Options
    I think it is good for the U23s. It will also give Reeves the opportunity to get some game time. Other than that I am not interested.
  • Options
    big match of this mighty tournament. at the home of the sponsors checkatrade.com. if we beat them then this could be a real blow for the competition.
  • Options
    My interest for this game doesn't exist really. I am looking at a bit like a pre season friendly, a good opportunity for the youngsters, a good opportunity for Reeves to build his fitness up etc. Result doesn't matter, performance neither, be nice for them to play well but no injuries please all being ready for Oldham on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Robinson said today:

“We’re only going to take four subs because I want my players to train very hard on Tuesday. We’re going to train here (Sparrows Lane) on Tuesday, very hard for Oldham.”

Have the U-23s got a Development League match this week?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Robinson said today:

“We’re only going to take four subs because I want my players to train very hard on Tuesday. We’re going to train here (Sparrows Lane) on Tuesday, very hard for Oldham.”

Not until next Monday... I was wondering myself whether there was a conflict of interest with the U23s playing themselves (i.e. Robinson not wanting to take too many from that squad forcing players from the U18s into the U23s who in turn arent ready for that level)
  • Options
    I didn't know their Ground was Harry Kewell.

2-1 Hope to see some lifers around the Reds bar or whatever it's called.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I didn't know their Ground was Harry Kewell.

Its what happens when you get to Monday evening and realise last minute that you've forgotten to write the Preview for the next day ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2017

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59a512d184238/ben-reeves-set-to-start-tonights-game-against-crawley

Interesting comments from Robinson, looks as though I was right to leave Lapslie on the bench (despite since changing him for Aribo)... Only going to be four subs as well with Johnnie Jackson and Lee Novak on there.

Makes you wonder (1) who'll be starting @ Left-Back (2) Looks like Reece Hackett-Fairchild will start which he deserves if so.

Also if we are going in with four subs shows how seriously we're taking the competition!!

Think it's a good team. Seems Barnes will start at LB, Dijksteel at RB.

I don't really understand taking only four subs. Surely it's worth it to take another youth player (only give allowed on the bench in this competition I believe). You could have a bench of:
    AMB, Bowry, JJ, Lapslie, Umerah.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Robinson said today:

U23's playing next Monday next I believe. Although we don't want to take this competition too seriously, I do get that taking youngsters for the sake of it is not necessarily the best way forward. But the likes of Bowry and Umerah have been in and around the first team squad and I don't get why they haven't gone to make up the numbers.
  • Options
    Anyone looked at parking. Crawley is a nightmare for controlled parking restrictions. Seems most parking for the ground is pre booked private driveway parking. Looks like best bet is park in town centre and get bus 12 mins.
  • Options

Anyone looked at parking. Crawley is a nightmare for controlled parking restrictions. Seems most parking for the ground is pre booked private driveway parking. Looks like best bet is park in town centre and get bus 12 mins.

I'm going to park in Tilgate and walk from there
  • Options

There's loads of bays reserved for match days at the sports centre opposite too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59a512d184238/ben-reeves-set-to-start-tonights-game-against-crawley

Interesting comments from Robinson, looks as though I was right to leave Lapslie on the bench (despite since changing him for Aribo)... Only going to be four subs as well with Johnnie Jackson and Lee Novak on there.

Makes you wonder (1) who'll be starting @ Left-Back (2) Looks like Reece Hackett-Fairchild will start which he deserves if so.

Also if we are going in with four subs shows how seriously we're taking the competition!!

Think it's a good team. Seems Barnes will start at LB, Dijksteel at RB.

I don't really understand taking only four subs. Surely it's worth it to take another youth player (only give allowed on the bench in this competition I believe). You could have a bench of:
    AMB, Bowry, JJ, Lapslie, Umerah.
    agreed, Novak in for Umerah now he's joined Wycombe. I think 7 subs are allowed though, I don't understand not having a bench of AMB, Edwards, Bowry, Jackson, Lapslie, Novak and someone like Anderson or Yamfam.
  • Options
    ridiculous competition, part and parcel of modern football i suppose.
  • Options

ridiculous competition, part and parcel of modern football i suppose.

Completely agree, still i have nothing better to do with my Tuesday night, let the kids play and see what happens
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Not my money, but it makes too much sense to accept the fine here. It will be useful for giving Saturday's potential left back a run out. Novak won't be risked, but not sure JJ is up to playing left back - I suppose it depends on how pacy the Oldham right sidied palyer is.
  • Options

Not my money, but it makes too much sense to accept the fine here. It will be useful for giving Saturday's potential left back a run out. Novak won't be risked, but not sure JJ is up to playing left back - I suppose it depends on how pacy the Oldham right sidied palyer is.

Robinson said this team actually meets the requirements (partly because Magennis and Dasilva being unavailable I think).
  • Options
    I'm confused - I don't understand how it can meet the requirements. It is actually more interesting it being full of youth players and reserves though IMO.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Scoham said:

Robinson said this team actually meets the requirements (partly because Magennis and Dasilva being unavailable I think).
    Yeah he's said that the EFL relaxed the rules to state that to be one of the "four" players from previous squads had to have played in at least two matches... that must include the League Cup because he said that every player fell under that criteria.
  • Options
    This is the big one. 2-0 Charlton
  • Options
    Shame I went to Rotherham on Saturday and left Sussex before 7:30AM. I could easily get to Crawley in 30 mins but cannot be bothered for this match.

Hopefully, no injuries apart from that not bothered about the result.
  • Options
    What is the point of this competition ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!