Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Airport lounges.

Comments

• Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:
    Top man @clb74 ! Booked at £22.50 which still includes the fast track security, which is a fiver on it's own. By the time we've eaten something, had a few coffees and soft drinks and my missus has wiped them out of magazines at £4 a pop they'll be begging us to leave.

Main factor is really that my wife's mobility isn't great at the moment. Already had her hip replaced and it's looking like the knee's gone now too, so she's likely to be using a crutch and she's in a lot of pain if she stands for even relatively short periods. We've paid for fast track security in the past at Stansted which has worked out well given the queues at the time, so we were probably always going to do that anyway.

Thanks again.
    You have got a tastecard though Bournemouth
    Eh?
    You need a tastecard Bournemouth
    When do you fly?
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Isnt there a card that gives you access to Lounges throughout the world.?

Yes, my missus has one. Its called My Debit card. ;)
    She bought a raffle type ticket for a Ferrari in Dubai airport at £25 and won a lounge pass as some sort of prize. Their lounges are fantastic unfortunately our flight was only 2 hours waiting time so we didn't get my monies worth.
    Whilst you sat there gutted about how close you came to winning a Ferrari!
  • Options
    I used it this year before flying out for a stag do. Thought it was good, I was on my own, few beers, few whiskeys, bit of food (food was average btw) while watching the ENGLAND v SA ODI. There was a 10% discount for it, I can't remember where I found it but I'm sure you could have a search to see if there are any about.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:
    Top man @clb74 ! Booked at £22.50 which still includes the fast track security, which is a fiver on it's own. By the time we've eaten something, had a few coffees and soft drinks and my missus has wiped them out of magazines at £4 a pop they'll be begging us to leave.

Main factor is really that my wife's mobility isn't great at the moment. Already had her hip replaced and it's looking like the knee's gone now too, so she's likely to be using a crutch and she's in a lot of pain if she stands for even relatively short periods. We've paid for fast track security in the past at Stansted which has worked out well given the queues at the time, so we were probably always going to do that anyway.

Thanks again.
    You have got a tastecard though Bournemouth
    Eh?
    You need a tastecard Bournemouth
    When do you fly?
    Oh right. Just checked the confirmation and it does say Tastecard on there. Never heard of it but they are doing 60 day trial for a quid so will have to sign up.
  • Options
    Yes Bournemouth quite a good card if you get the app will tell you local restaurant s where you can get 50 % off or 2 for 1
    Enjoy your holiday
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Yes Bournemouth quite a good card if you get the app will tell you local restaurant s where you can get 50 % off or 2 for 1
    Enjoy your holiday

Not off to the 14th but cheers for your help.
  • Options

T.C.E said:

Isnt there a card that gives you access to Lounges throughout the world.?

Yes, my missus has one. Its called My Debit card. ;)
    She bought a raffle type ticket for a Ferrari in Dubai airport at £25 and won a lounge pass as some sort of prize. Their lounges are fantastic unfortunately our flight was only 2 hours waiting time so we didn't get my monies worth.
    Whilst you sat there gutted about how close you came to winning a Ferrari!
    Lol, steering wheel was on the wrong side and no room for my dogs. Rubbish motor!! ;)
  • Options
    Paying a fiver for fast track security when you have already paid an airport security surcharge in your ticket price - the next PPI scandal.
  • Options

Paying a fiver for fast track security when you have already paid an airport security surcharge in your ticket price - the next PPI scandal.

The key is fast track.

Bit like saying 'pay for business class upgrade when you have already paid for a seat'
  • Options
    Yes, I get it with my Barclays account. When the airport is busy, it can be of real benefit. Some lounges are better than others - Manchester is the best so far! I have used the lounges in Stansted, Luton, Gatwick and Manchester.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been in the BA lounge at Munich a few times. The food is cack, but I only ever go for work and need some vino to sooth my frazzled nerves. Means by the time I get home I'm firmly in the grip of a hangover
  • Options
    Lounge key or priority pass are the best to have, I have them on my CC's so when not travelling business it gets me into most lounges WW.

I think you can buy them for about $100 a year which is still worthwhile if you fly a couple of times a year.
  • Options

You can get number one for £25 and 1,000 avois.

https://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/collect/no1-lounges
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Bit like saying 'pay for business class upgrade when you have already paid for a seat'
    Not the same comparison IMO. The use of the airport is a public service and the security aspect is unavoidable. The service should be swift and top class for all. Airports know in advance exactly the number of passengers departing and should equip and staff accordingly. They should be given a service level target time and asked to account for poor performance.
  • Options
    I think lounges are a decent idea. We used one in Venice as our flight was delayed by a couple of hours and it was the best value of the trip. €30 each but we I got to check all my emails on the free wifi, had several glasses of red wine and bubbles between us, sandwiches and magazines and a bit of peace and quiet. Worth every penny
  • Options
    I didn't know such things even existed.
    One for after winning the lottery I would think. Reading about bacon sandwiches makes me think such lounges are established to keep the pesky vegetarians away :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2017

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Not the same comparison IMO. The use of the airport is a public service and the security aspect is unavoidable. The service should be swift and top class for all. Airports know in advance exactly the number of passengers departing and should equip and staff accordingly. They should be given a service level target time and asked to account for poor performance.
    You're going to go mental when I tell you that for another tenner you can get access to priority passport control too!

Going to be a nice earner for someone in the post Brexit era innit :-)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

One for after winning the lottery I would think. Reading about bacon sandwiches makes me think such lounges are established to keep the pesky vegetarians away :wink:

Same here Seth, thought it was just the odd international businessman in a Massimo Dutti suit. Either Charlton Life features highly on their wifi, or the whole bloody country is at it!
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Should be the key word. Next you'll say an airport advertised as London, such as London Luton or London Stanstead should be in London! Gatwick's security is actually alright timewise.
  • Options
    The best airport experience I had was with Virgin last year. Limo up to the private upper class entrance at Heathrow, greeted by name as we got out the car and our luggage went straight through the private security check, quick flash of our passports and straight into the Virgin lounge within 2-3 minutes of arriving. The Virgin lounge at Heathrow is something else.

The wife is a lifetime gold member with all the flights she's racked up with Virgin over the years so she's used to travelling like that but it was nice for me to see what she does. Sadly, we're flying Easyjet to France from Gatwick on Thursday which just wont compare but we still get to use the Virgin lounge at Gatwick although it isn't a patch on the one at Heathrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

Same here Seth, thought it was just the odd international businessman in a Massimo Dutti suit. Either Charlton Life features highly on their wifi, or the whole bloody country is at it!
    No mate my missus calls me coupon Chris.
    If your having 3 or 4 drinks and breakfast it's no dearer than eating drinking outside of the lounges.
    If I wasn't getting my money s worth I wouldn't do it
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

The best airport experience I had was with Virgin last year. Limo up to the private upper class entrance at Heathrow, greeted by name as we got out the car and our luggage went straight through the private security check, quick flash of our passports and straight into the Virgin lounge within 2-3 minutes of arriving. The Virgin lounge at Heathrow is something else.

The wife is a lifetime gold member with all the flights she's racked up with Virgin over the years so she's used to travelling like that but it was nice for me to see what she does. Sadly, we're flying Easyjet to France from Gatwick on Thursday which just wont compare but we still get to use the Virgin lounge at Gatwick although it isn't a patch on the one at Heathrow.

If you fly Virgin Upper Class you get to use the Cowshed. It's bloody wonderful in there. Only used it once but one day I will go back.....(when I'm not paying for the flight

• Options

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Should be the key word. Next you'll say an airport advertised as London, such as London Luton or London Stanstead should be in London! Gatwick's security is actually alright timewise.

Not at all, nor do I want Grimsby Town F.C. to play in Grimsby, but if Gatwick security is alright timewise - why pay the extra for fast track - or even offer the option of fast track ?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

JohnBoyUK said:

If you fly Virgin Upper Class you get to use the Cowshed. It's bloody wonderful in there. Only used it once but one day I will go back.....(when I'm not paying for the flight

Oh yes, the spa thing. The head massage was bloody good. And before anyone asks, no happy endings lol.

Just googling now, they've got the cowshed at the Gatwick lounge now too. That's new since the last time we used that one.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Not at all, nor do I want Grimsby Town F.C. to play in Grimsby, but if Gatwick security is alright timewise - why pay the extra for fast track - or even offer the option of fast track ?
    Capitalism!

• Options

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

because some people want to go through quicker - it is not a difficult concept.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Fwiw I also object to paying for it. We should all be able to get through in a reasonable time however there's zero certainty that it will be running well on the day. It might be, perhaps probably will be, but we live in an era of hightened security threats. I've certainly experienced times when there's been additional checks made and the normal 5 or 10 minutes becomes 30 or 40...or even longer if there's staffing issues or a breakdown somewhere as well.

I have already explained my wife's situation hence, and much as I don't like it, it's just a little extra insurance against this happening. We never used to do it tbh but if it makes the arse ache that is travelling these days a little easier for us I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    Who decides what the 'reasonable time' is ?

They may say 45 mins to queue up and go through security is reasonable, but it is up to the individual to decide if it is worth paying a fiver to go through in 5 minutes to avoid the risk of having to wait that long.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

The key is fast track.

Fwiw I also object to paying for it. We should all be able to get through in a reasonable time however there's zero certainty that it will be running well on the day. It might be, perhaps probably will be, but we live in an era of hightened security threats. I've certainly experienced times when there's been additional checks made and the normal 5 or 10 minutes becomes 30 or 40...or even longer if there's staffing issues or a breakdown somewhere as well.

I have already explained my wife's situation hence, and much as I don't like it, it's just a little extra insurance against this happening. We never used to do it tbh but if it makes the arse ache that is travelling these days a little easier for us I don't see the problem.
    With your wife's situation, I think I'd go for the "special assistance" option whatever you do about the lounges. The airport will recognise that not everyone can stand in a queue for security and/or walk miles to get to their departure gate. I did this once when travelling with the M-I-L who had heart problems and I tell you getting one of those whizzy little golf buggy things to speed you through the airport was just the best thing.