Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Airport lounges.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Groupon have been known to have offers on the Number One Lounge. I pointed this out to some friends last year who used it.

I've had a number of flights with connections in the past 12 months so Priority Pass worked out well for me, but when they renewed it at full price without my say-so, I wasn't happy and got them to cancel the renewal. I'll potentially rejoin later this month but not at full price.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

The best airport experience I had was with Virgin last year. Limo up to the private upper class entrance at Heathrow, greeted by name as we got out the car and our luggage went straight through the private security check, quick flash of our passports and straight into the Virgin lounge within 2-3 minutes of arriving. The Virgin lounge at Heathrow is something else.

The wife is a lifetime gold member with all the flights she's racked up with Virgin over the years so she's used to travelling like that but it was nice for me to see what she does. Sadly, we're flying Easyjet to France from Gatwick on Thursday which just wont compare but we still get to use the Virgin lounge at Gatwick although it isn't a patch on the one at Heathrow.

The VA lounge at Gatwick is a new one, only about 6 months old. Much better than the previous Gatwick one! Not a patch on Heathrow in terms of size/facilities but really nice in there and has floor to ceiling windows on two sides overlooking the planes.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

MrOneLung said:

Paying a fiver for fast track security when you have already paid an airport security surcharge in your ticket price - the next PPI scandal.

The key is fast track.

Bit like saying 'pay for business class upgrade when you have already paid for a seat'
    Not the same comparison IMO. The use of the airport is a public service and the security aspect is unavoidable. The service should be swift and top class for all. Airports know in advance exactly the number of passengers departing and should equip and staff accordingly. They should be given a service level target time and asked to account for poor performance.
    Should be the key word. Next you'll say an airport advertised as London, such as London Luton or London Stanstead should be in London! Gatwick's security is actually alright timewise.

Not at all, nor do I want Grimsby Town F.C. to play in Grimsby, but if Gatwick security is alright timewise - why pay the extra for fast track - or even offer the option of fast track ?
    Fwiw I also object to paying for it. We should all be able to get through in a reasonable time however there's zero certainty that it will be running well on the day. It might be, perhaps probably will be, but we live in an era of hightened security threats. I've certainly experienced times when there's been additional checks made and the normal 5 or 10 minutes becomes 30 or 40...or even longer if there's staffing issues or a breakdown somewhere as well.

I have already explained my wife's situation hence, and much as I don't like it, it's just a little extra insurance against this happening. We never used to do it tbh but if it makes the arse ache that is travelling these days a little easier for us I don't see the problem.
    With your wife's situation, I think I'd go for the "special assistance" option whatever you do about the lounges. The airport will recognise that not everyone can stand in a queue for security and/or walk miles to get to their departure gate. I did this once when travelling with the M-I-L who had heart problems and I tell you getting one of those whizzy little golf buggy things to speed you through the airport was just the best thing.
    I did suggest thinking about that option but was swiftly put back in my place. I think she would embarrassed at being driven through the airport on one to the front of the queue then bounding up the stairs. I pointed out she's in no condition to bound anywhere at the moment or at least not for very long but got short shrift.

We'll just take half an hour to get to the feckin' gate instead!

• Options
    Went with mother in law a few years back when she couldn't walk far - really does simplify things but she didn't like it for much the same reason as your wife.
  • Options
    Here I am imagining walking into a huge building where all the planes are sat back like 'What's up human, this flight aint due for hours... Now chill'

• Options
    Lounges are a must. I pay for a qantas club membership over here, seeing as I fly twice a month to work. I get it discounted through my old employer, the silly sods don't change the code from year to year. Being able to have a shower and really relax after the 11 hour first leg coming back home to England makes the journey easy. I travel business class, no kids, no ex wife, champagne life!
  • Options
    You forgot "and a meal for one"
  • Options
    Ah, the Airport Lounge!

About 10 years back I was traveling for work at least one a month flying from Oz to HK/SG and normally flying home on the 9pm Friday night flight to Brisbane.

The Qantas Business Lounge used to have this massive open bar - completely free of charge - where you could just go up there and help yourself to ANYTHING you wanted.

It was all there, Vodka, Gin, Scotch, Brandy, Rum - you name it! You could pour yourself a tall glass full of spirits and nobody would have known or cared.

As a result of my chronic Ill-discipline I dived in like Pavarotti at the buffet and was getting on the plane absolutely fucked - and I was far from the only one doing it.

Anyway, Qantas announced they were doing a renovation of their HK/SG lounges and they planned a big re-opening etc.

Upon entering the reopened lounge I noticed straight away there was now a proper bar in place with bar-staff - the old help yourself option was no longer there.

Approaching the Filipino barman I asked him what had happened to the old "self service" bar?

"We had to get rid of it," he said, "Passengers were drinking too much and getting drunk and causing problems on the plane - we can now monitor what people are drinking."

All good things etc.......
  • Options

Get 6 free lounge visits a year through my bank account. Barclays have a deal with Dragon Pass. Always use them.

I pay £16 a month and have:

- World wide travel insurance
    - Airport Lounge Access (6 visits a year - if you have more than one person with you they deduct a visit for each person)
    - Green Flag membership
    - Gadget Insurance for 5 devices each up to a value of £1000. No excess and covered against theft and accidental damage.

Got a reduced fee as they mucked me around when they did away with the Premier Banking Account I previously had. Think the actual cost of the above is £23 a month.
  • Options
    bump explon larer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bump explon larer

Free beer?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Did all 4 CX J's in HKG on Tuesday. If that makes no sense to you, i'm glad.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

A lot of the packaged bank accounts offer this free. Just need to book ahead usually via their concierge service.

They are useful in that can get nice and comfy, read paper, have a beer wine coffee or whatever and something to eat without the usual scrum for the hard seats and an overpriced coffee and croissant in Pret.

Bit bored this morning so just caught up with this thread as I hardly ever travel outside of the UK now due to the kids.

Just wanted to state the obvious - hardly "free" when you're paying £15pm for your back account.

• Options

bump explon larer

Free beer?
    And lots of it I suspect!
  • Options
    Well it is pointless if you fly from London City, as i did for the very first time last Sunday. At last there is a flight to Prague from there. I guess this was one reason why BA City Flyer offered biz class seats on the flight for a tiny premium. I grabbed it. And City Flyer have a different catering regime to the main BA. Had one of the best airline meals for ages. London City is just great, been waiting for this flight for years. For most people you don't need a lounge there because the whole point of it is you are in and out of there in a relative heartbeat.
  • Options

Well it is pointless if you fly from London City, as i did for the very first time last Sunday. At last there is a flight to Prague from there. I guess this was one reason why BA City Flyer offered biz class seats on the flight for a tiny premium. I grabbed it. And City Flyer have a different catering regime to the main BA. Had one of the best airline meals for ages. London City is just great, been waiting for this flight for years. For most people you don't need a lounge there because the whole point of it is you are in and out of there in a relative heartbeat.

Been flying in and out of City Airport since it opened.

Great airport but a complete pain when it is foggy, and all flights are cancelled.
  • Options
    London City is a great airport, even better now they have widened the gate corridors and put more boozers in.

I have a work colleague whose party trick is getting you into airport lounges, I think he said he pays £400 a year for his credit card that comes with a lounge privilege card. Was over in jersey with him and it got us into the BA lounge there even though we weren’t flyers by BA. Had some nice free food and about a bottle of wine each before catching separate flights home.

First time I’d ever considered doing the same.