Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dope?

Not sure if this is an Americanism or should be put in the, "keeping up with your kids lingo?" thread.

But I've come across it quite a lot and in particular on instagram where I post my images and the word "Dope" is sometimes left as a comment, thankfully not just on mine.

Apart from meaning Marijuana or idiot.

Is there another meaning?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    'Good'
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Uboat said:

'Good'

I thought it might be a trumpism?

Does it?

so wot spotty faced kid wearing a baseball cap back to front came up with that and amazing that it's caught on?
  • Options
    Information
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    "Dope" can mean "true" or "authentic", and has now been simplified to just mean "good". It has also been used to mean cannabis, heroin or cocaine depending on your peer group. It used also to be a noun or adjective meaning stupid (possibly linked to its use in relation to drugs). Oh, I'm sorry here's a train I haven't got yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Used to be a glue company called "O'My", called one of their glues "O'My Glossy Dope". Not sure if they're still around.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    This is an Americanism from like, when I was a kid. So uh, well done being caught up on the slang from 20 years ago ;)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

This is an Americanism from like, when I was a kid. So uh, well done being caught up on the slang from 20 years ago ;)

Woh! Chill your boots man.
  • Options
    I think, way back when, it was used to describe the coating used on the fabric of old aeroplanes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

If you were a kid in the late 90's spare a thought for me.

I was a kid in the 60's, so it's hardly surprising it's taken me this long to catch up!
  • Options
    Information please?
    As in......"give me the dope on that."
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I was a kid in the 60's, so it's hardly surprising it's taken me this long to catch up!
    Ha yeah fair enough. I hope you didn't take my post seriously, was just having a bit of fun, not criticizing you for a lack of knowledge of LA slang amongst the yoot in 1997.

I took that "know the language your kids uae" test and had to guess them all.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Ha yeah fair enough. I hope you didn't take my post seriously, was just having a bit of fun, not criticizing you for a lack of knowledge of LA slang amongst the yoot in 1997.

No, I didn't.
  • Options
    Last night was dope

Let's talk about sex baaaaby
    Let's talk about you and me

(1990)
  • Options
    When describing something as dope I've always known it to mean 'sweet', or as Uboat says, good.
  • Options
    Dope's sick innit.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Just wanted to add, I know where you live and I'm on my way over!
  • Options
    Oh, it's also slang for drugs, or it was. Usually weed, but I've seen it used for all drugs.

If we're gonna play "translate the '90s slang game" then I'm gonna look like the coolest kid on CL.
  • Options
    I remember my American cousins telling me that dope was a word an old man on their street used and that was literally twenty years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

I remember my American cousins telling me that dope was a word an old man on their street used and that was literally twenty years ago

your cousins lived on the same street as SD!. What a coincidence.
  • Options

your cousins lived on the same street as SD!. What a coincidence.
    Given that I'm currently the oldest 31 year old alive, that "old man" might just have been me at 11 because I was in bed by 11 and told stories that started with "when I was your age" and talked shit about technology (AIM) ruining the youth of today.
  • Options
    In American slang 'Dope' means more than good I would say. More like 'really good'.
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs.
  • Options
    Rob said:

In American slang 'Dope' means more than good I would say. More like 'really good'.
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Yeah I'd go with that. "Awesome" or something like that.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Oh, it's also slang for drugs, or it was. Usually weed, but I've seen it used for all drugs.

If we're gonna play "translate the '90s slang game" then I'm gonna look like the coolest kid on CL.

OK, what is meant by "Chinny reck-on"?
  • Options

Not sure if this is an Americanism or should be put in the, "keeping up with your kids lingo?" thread.

But I've come across it quite a lot and in particular on instagram where I post my images and the word "Dope" is sometimes left as a comment, thankfully not just on mine.

Apart from meaning Marijuana or idiot.

Is there another meaning?

Thanks for any info.

It means the opposite of "that shits whack"
  • Options
    dope = bob 'ope ((:>)
  • Options
    newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/semtex-accused-thought-explosive-was-a-whack-of-dope-1-7787155

Which is odd because I thought dope was an ingredient for making explosives!
  • Options
    It was originally a hip hop term from the early 80s onwards.
  • Options
    The big question is is dope something that is green or something that is brown?