Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums: Definitely Maybe vs (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Following the completion of their 1993 demo tape which included tracks such as Married with Children, Columbia and Rock 'n' Roll Star, Oasis managed to secure a contract with Creation Records and began recording their first LP in early '94, which was to become Definitely Maybe. After the success of the singles Supersonic (#31), Shakermaker (#11) and Live Forever (#10), Definitely Maybe was released in August 1994 and became Britain's best selling debut album.

Track Listing:
1. Rock 'n' Roll Star
2. Shakermaker
3. Live Forever
4. Up In The Sky
5. Columbia
6. Supersonic
7. Bring It On Down
8. Cigarettes & Alcohol
9. Digsy's Dinner
10. Slide Away
11. Married With Children

https://open.spotify.com/album/3F7qb5AiQdWxuMgSyQ9zyg

The following year saw the release of (What's The Story) Morning Glory?. The album, whilst not initially receiving the universal praise that had been heaped upon its predecessor, was a huge commercial hit, yielding two number one singles (Some Might Saw and Don't Look Back in Anger).

Track Listing
1. Hello
2. Roll With It
3. Wonderwall
4. Don't Look Back in Anger
5. Hey Now!
7. Some Might Say
8. Cast No Shadow
9. She's Electric
10. Morning Glory
12. Champagne Supernova

https://open.spotify.com/album/5cCqScxap2MRmb0KIYYqvh

So, which is it to be?

Comments

• I don't much like the blokes voice, and although I accept that 'borrowing' from elements of the Beatles is a smart move, these albums simply didn't chime with me, maybe it is generational.
    I would sacrifice both albums for something else, so my initial thought is neither of them, however purely because he can be known as Champagne Supernovak and that gives it a Charlton connection (I know the drummer is a Charlton fan, and the Gallaghers have visited the Valley) but based on the Lee Novak connection I will vote for What's the story morning glory.
    If the bloke had a better voice I might have paid Oasis more attention.
  • It should be Blur vs Oasis, not Oasis vs Oasis!!
  • Be Here Now is my favourite
  • edited September 2017
    I prefer the Morning Glory album.
  • Morning Glory
  • Definitely Maybe.

Both fantastic though.
  • edited September 2017
    It would have been Definitely Maybe, but I cannot now vote for it as I have only now realised that one of my favourite tracks on it was apparently called 'Liver Forever'.

As a strict vegan I am wholeheartedly against any offal based song titles and I therefore have to go with the other album.

NB - This vote assumes that the Roll in question on track 2 and the Champagne in track 12 are both also vegan compliant.
  • What's the story. Only because of champagne supernova which was my favourite tune up until about 2003 when I first heard estranged by GnR at which point it was replaced.

Both those albums are epic

The one song I hate, and I've always hated it, is wonderwall. I know this has cult status, but I just can't get it
  • Local derby

What's the story for me.

• Sponsored links:

• Ok.....seruously.....Definitely Maybe.

I prefer the more stripped back sound.....and Slide Away has always been a favourite
  • Morning glory pretty much soundtracked my teens, so that's the one I'm voting for
  • edited September 2017

It would have been Definitely Maybe, but I cannot now vote for it as I have only now realised that one of my favourite tracks on it was apparently called 'Liver Forever'.

You've never heard of 'Liver Forever'?!!! :wink:
    Edited.
    Also typed that on the track listings but saw it and corrected. Was obviously very tired last night.
  • edited September 2017
    Missed It said:

It should be Blur vs Oasis, not Oasis vs Oasis!!

Agreed. It's a bit like Newcastle playing Newcastle in the third round of the FA Cup. They can't lose.
    Oasis will progress to the next round whereas and album as good as Pet Sounds was eliminated through being up against the Beatles.
    I'm assuming this is a knock out competition?
  • 2nd albums are notoriously difficult. Oasis absolutely nailed it with Morning Glory. Got to go for this.
  • I've never been a huge fan of Oasis, even though I've got every studio album they've produced!

If pushed - Definitely Maybe which gets played more in my car than What's the Story.
  • Definitely Maybe.....both superb albums though.

overall I preferred their album of B side tracks.
  • What's the Story. The last time Oasis would release an album that would equal expectations.
  • Definitely Maybe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely Maybe.....both superb albums though.

overall I preferred their album of B side tracks.

I too used to enjoy collecting their singles cds

2 or 3 proper good tracks per single imo

Rocking chair
    Underneath the sky
    Acquiesce
    Master plan
  • Acquiesce and Master Plan 2 of their best songs
  • Definitely Maybe. Definitely.
  • Definitely Maybe.
  • WTSMG for me.
  • Definitely maybe.

The only above decent albums they've made, but what albums they are.
  • Both 10/10 albums. It feels near impossible to pick, but I'll go with Definitely Maybe on the basis that I've been listening to it a lot lately
  • not a huge fan of Oasis but as you couldn't get away from these two albums at the time I grew to like both. cigarettes and alcohol is a great tune and i like married with children. however champagne supernova is always great to sing along to and I love she's electric so I will go with what's the story.
  • Oasis vs Oasis?! This is like asking if you prefer red peppers or yellow peppers, because they are basically the same thing.

Of the two, though - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? is the better album. Every song is both good in its own right and complementary to the feel of the album.

The only thing that's a negative - and it's not even a negative - is that somehow, The Masterplan didn't make it onto the album. It's one of the best Oasis songs imo and how it was only released as a B-side then on a compilation B-side album is baffling.
  • Definitely Maybe, just.