Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums: Definitely Maybe vs (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Oasis vs Oasis?! This is like asking if you prefer red peppers or yellow peppers, because they are basically the same thing.

Of the two, though - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? is the better album. Every song is both good in its own right and complementary to the feel of the album.

The only thing that's a negative - and it's not even a negative - is that somehow, The Masterplan didn't make it onto the album. It's one of the best Oasis songs imo and how it was only released as a B-side then on a compilation B-side album is baffling.

Had Oasis held back some of those brilliant B-Sides for their third studio album and mixed them in with 3-4 of the best tracks on what become Be Here Now then they would have had a 3rd record on that same level as Definitelt Maybe/Morning Glory.

Can only imagine how big they would have gone on to be if they had knocked it out of the park for the third album.
  • Options
    Morning Glory.
  • Options
    Both albums are absolutely brilliant, but Definitely Maybe wins for me because Live Forever and Cigarettes and Alcohol are 2 of my favourite all time tracks.
  • Options
    Both great albums but Morning Glory wins primarily because of Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

JamesSeed said:

Missed It said:

It should be Blur vs Oasis, not Oasis vs Oasis!!

Agreed. It's a bit like Newcastle playing Newcastle in the third round of the FA Cup. They can't lose.
    Oasis will progress to the next round whereas and album as good as Pet Sounds was eliminated through being up against the Beatles.
    I'm assuming this is a knock out competition?
    Okay, I should explain how I've decided to do this:

1. Everyone was invited to vote for their five favourite music albums.
    2. We had a couple of requests for a knock-out competition and were left with exactly 16 albums with three or more votes.
    3. Those 16 albums were entered into a knockout style competition.
    4. I then got really geeky and separated the titles with the most votes (sort of a seeding process) in order to avoid what you've alluded to re Pet Sounds (Pet Sounds, although one of my favourites, was one of the 16 with the fewest number of initial votes. It wouldn't have faced Revolver if more people had voted for it).
    5. The knock out competition commenced, with a match up being posted each week. We are currently in the last 16 phase. I think there are three more to come in this round.

There will be odd match ups, so expect to see a 1v1 between two completely different styles or perhaps two titles from the same artist.

It's not foolproof, but it's a bit of fun (I hope).
    fine with me ... keep it going, good fun
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe.
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe
  • Options
    1994 was about the last time i had morning glory
  • Options
    Modern Life is Rubbish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morning Glory by a country mile. Definitely Maybe is very good, but I think it's a little overrated in some of the praise it gets. Morning Glory is a far more mature, thoughtful album.
  • Options
    Morning Glory. First album I ever bought and listened to death on my cassette walkman!
  • Options
    Morning Glory. Memories of taking vast amounts of stimulants working backstage in the West End.
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe has the raw excitement, but Morning Glory is more accomplished musically, so I will vote for the latter
  • Options
    Morning Glory for me. Also the name of a vegetable popular in Asia.
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe. Will take songs like Supersonic, Slide Away, Bring it on Down, Rock and Roll Star, Live Forever etc over the more commercial stuff on Morning Glory - though you could argue it was only 'commercial' cos they got so big.

I actually have Be Here Now a joint second with Morning Glory.... Or even a smidge ahead. Massively underrated album imo - Girl with the Dirty Shirt would be great for a 'ruin a song title by removing one letter' thread.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

PaddyP17 said:

Oasis vs Oasis?! This is like asking if you prefer red peppers or yellow peppers, because they are basically the same thing.

Of the two, though - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? is the better album. Every song is both good in its own right and complementary to the feel of the album.

The only thing that's a negative - and it's not even a negative - is that somehow, The Masterplan didn't make it onto the album. It's one of the best Oasis songs imo and how it was only released as a B-side then on a compilation B-side album is baffling.

Had Oasis held back some of those brilliant B-Sides for their third studio album and mixed them in with 3-4 of the best tracks on what become Be Here Now then they would have had a 3rd record on that same level as Definitelt Maybe/Morning Glory.

Can only imagine how big they would have gone on to be if they had knocked it out of the park for the third album.
    I don't mind be here now. Couple of decent tracks. I also agree with you because had we got acquiesce or masterplan on it say, then it would've been an opportunity to really smash it - they were also up against expectation given how good the first two albums were
  • Options
    What sort of evil is inside of you asking to pick between these two albums

Definitely maybe for me just by a Rizla
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

PaddyP17 said:

I don't mind be here now. Couple of decent tracks. I also agree with you because had we got acquiesce or masterplan on it say, then it would've been an opportunity to really smash it - they were also up against expectation given how good the first two albums were
    I guess when they were writing all those amazing songs they never thought the creativity would dry up so didn't need to save up the b sides?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a tough one - Definitely Maybe edges it for me.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    stonemuse said:

Both great albums but Morning Glory wins primarily because of Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger.

Both songs seemed to be played on a constant loop in "Deacon's" in The City when the album came out.......

Definitely Maybe for me.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

PaddyP17 said:

I guess when they were writing all those amazing songs they never thought the creativity would dry up so didn't need to save up the b sides?
    True
  • Options
    Hard to separate the two. I'd go for Definitely Maybe for the impact it had on release. Mind you, I've not listened to either album for years and in the meantime only Wonderwall to learn it on guitar (badly!). I thought they were brilliant at the time but they seem a bit dated to me now.
  • Options
    What's The Story for me. I remember my Dad walking me into ASDA on Bexleyheath High Street as a kid buying this for me. Was the first album I was ever bought and just reminds me of my childhood.
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe.
  • Options
    Definitely maybe, but only because I used to own the guitar amp Noel recorded it on.

Both good albums.
  • Options
    This is a hard one, for me they are two half of the same game of football especially given how quickly they released them.

My answer will vary depending what day it is. What's the story was more of a soundtrack to my youth as it came out when me and my mates were all making our way armed with fake ID in the local pubs. The b-sides for both albums are rightly an album on their own, definitely maybe signalled a proper change in the 90s and that led the charge for bands now my age and still smashing it like Kasabian, Libertines etc

Rock and roll star, live forever, supersonic, slide away just to name a few real timeless bangers

• Options

More (mis) match ups to follow in the next day or so. Another reminder that all the remaining titles will be matched 1v1 until only one is left. Any of the titles featured so far could be paired and we've seen a fairly broad range of artists including Joni Mitchell, Nirvana, Oasis and Simon and Garfunkel.
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe